• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

VA

Smash Hero
Iunno, like surely 15 ping is fairly doable these days, and that's like 1 frame

You'd only really need to make sure all the RNGs are synced at the beginning of the match, and then sync controller inputs at the beginning of every frame. Whilst that might be difficult to do with Melee as it is now, it wouldn't be hard for a hypothetical Melee 2.0 surely

though I guess it's like 15 ping for one packet... dunno how fast these things are these days, I don't play online games that much
Online play would be siiick, it runs fine for SF4, as in all the pros play it, so why not melee?

Rather simplistic I know but I don't understand mumbo jumbo like 15 ping for one packet.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
nintendo have a massive audience in the form of family and friends sorta stuff. and smash bros is primarily made as a party game.
plus its shown that they really suck at wifi

VA

Smash Hero
nintendo have a massive audience in the form of family and friends sorta stuff. and smash bros is primarily made as a party game.
plus its shown that they really suck at wifi
read sakurai's interview about melee

http://www.1up.com/news/masahiro-sakurai-reflects-super-smash

it is not a party game.

we won't see another one if he makes it and the more I play melee the more I understand why he wouldn't want to. The depth of the numbers alone that went into melee must have been ridiculous. it's just such an insanely complicated game.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Dayum... that article was pretty enlightening. Imma have a look around to see if I can find the original famitsu transcript

rustediron

Smash Lord
To be honest, at this stage, if he were to make another ssb, the franchise is so ****ing successful he'd be able to set whatever the **** deadline he wants, so he wouldn't have to work nearly as hard (40 hours straight!? wtf!?)

VA

Smash Hero
Dayum... that article was pretty enlightening. Imma have a look around to see if I can find the original famitsu transcript
Yes do that, I am really curious as to how true to Sakurai that article actually is. It seems too convenient that he confirmed everything for competitive melee smashers.

When you look at the data behind smash, and the depth of the hitboxes and everything, you begin to realise just how much attention went into it. It is not an accident that the game possesses so much competitive scope.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Alex, how did your philosophy exam go? What came up?
I've only done phil1 currently, I got really lucky with the questions (I got 2 questions on empiricism and 2 on egoism LOL) but I was too late applying for extra time and therefore I only managed like 4 paragraphs on my last question. @@

I think I aced the other 3 questions though.

the end of the world is next saturday, i.e I finish university :/
haha

rustediron

Smash Lord
Haha, problem of induction and stuff? Or just empricism vs rationalism type thing

What kind of egoism did you end up talking about? I've always preferred egoism over other moral theories, as it feels more concrete. It's fairly self-evident that I can't help but wish that my desires be fulfilled (that's what having a desire means, after all), and the idea that we have a moral imperative to pursue those desires seems to reflect that; the idea that we have some kind of imperative to pursue other people's desires seems less obvious, however :S

Heartstring

Smash Legend
read sakurai's interview about melee

http://www.1up.com/news/masahiro-sakurai-reflects-super-smash

it is not a party game.

we won't see another one if he makes it and the more I play melee the more I understand why he wouldn't want to. The depth of the numbers alone that went into melee must have been ridiculous. it's just such an insanely complicated game.
accidentally hardcore
lol
can a game not just be played for fun, and jsut happen to be rather good at it too?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
how did you get that from it?

anyway yeah it's fun and yeah it was made with a lot more rigor than brawl.

end
"I had created Smash Bros. to be my response to how hardcore-exclusive the fighting game genre had become over the years," Sakurai said. "But why did I target it so squarely toward people well-versed in videogames, then?
thats where i got it from

end indeed
i still enjoy brawl more

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Haha, problem of induction and stuff? Or just empricism vs rationalism type thing

What kind of egoism did you end up talking about? I've always preferred egoism over other moral theories, as it feels more concrete. It's fairly self-evident that I can't help but wish that my desires be fulfilled (that's what having a desire means, after all), and the idea that we have a moral imperative to pursue those desires seems to reflect that; the idea that we have some kind of imperative to pursue other people's desires seems less obvious, however :S
Empiricism vs rationalism (which I find a lot easier).

First question on that half was basically about selflessness (or it might have been about duty... I can't remember how it was worded exactly) so I just talked about that and used egoism as a second critique since (like you said) egoism is very easy to justify at a basic level, then in the second question I talked about basic egoism, kant's universalism, enlightened egoism, then I was half-way through a paragraph about social contract theories and ran out of time lol :( I wanted to add in aristotle's and kant's virtue ethics too

VA

Smash Hero
thats where i got it from

end indeed
i still enjoy brawl more
That's not how I interpret what he said, he wanted to make a hardcore fighting game with more accessibility, but it didn't work because melee is so fast.

Are you saying you enjoy brawl more because you played it first? I'm confused.

Either way, melee is, in an objective sense, harder and less accessible.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
hmm, i interpreted it that way, so meh

i actually played melee first long before brawl came out (i think i was seven when i first played it), but it was in a youth club which was like FFA with items on, always on pokemon stadium. still i used kirby and enjoyed it, but i was always too damn shy to ask the other people what the game was called, that and i didnt own a gamecube
i enjoy brawl more just because i do, i cant really explain why other than perhaps accessability, as games with harder accessability means epic frustration with my own co-ordination

and yes, i agree completely

VA

Smash Hero
hmm, i interpreted it that way, so meh

i actually played melee first long before brawl came out (i think i was seven when i first played it), but it was in a youth club which was like FFA with items on, always on pokemon stadium. still i used kirby and enjoyed it, but i was always too damn shy to ask the other people what the game was called, that and i didnt own a gamecube
i enjoy brawl more just because i do, i cant really explain why other than perhaps accessability, as games with harder accessability means epic frustration with my own co-ordination

and yes, i agree completely
melee sort of sucks unless you can a whole load of basic inputs at a fast speed. you can't really play it properly without a this range of advanced techniques which is why I think some people prefer the pick up and play style of brawl.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
melee sort of sucks unless you can a whole load of basic inputs at a fast speed. you can't really play it properly without a this range of advanced techniques which is why I think some people prefer the pick up and play style of brawl.
yeah, thats pretty much it
but then suddenly! jigglypuff!
but yeah thats pretty much it, and dear lordi believe were finding middle ground

VA

Smash Hero
Don't think that I categorically hate brawl from some sort of mindless and irrational sentiment.

I was more hyped over the game than anyone else, I woke up at 5am to check the site the day it went live, I pressed refresh for 2 hours. It didn't deliver a style of gameplay I wanted. I played it for 30 hours solidly and something was wrong, I was getting bored. That never has almost never happened with melee. I've played melee for a week pretty near solid before and still wanted to keep playing.

There isn't enough to it really, that's all. The thing I enjoy about melee is doing technically difficult combos with a range of characters, doing tricks and bull****. There were none that I enjoyed doing in Brawl. It's just not for me I guess.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
fair enough, the thing i like about brawl is that a single mistake doesnt cause you to reach some insane percentage in one combo, the most that can be done to you for a mistake is a falco/dedede/pika/kirby chaingrab combo, and all except dedede's chaingrab only works at low percent.
i dont enjoy being unable to do anything for a few seconds. i wouldnt mind so much if i was capable of melee combos, but im not and i dont feel like spending a long time learning it when i prefer brawl

and there are tricky things in brawl to, its jsut that theyre not nearly on the same magnitude is melee

so i guess the reason i like brawl is the exact opposite of why you liek melee XD

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
that discussion was actually...decent. well done uk smash community, we are actually growing up

VA

Smash Hero
yeah precisely.

It's like if you get grabbed by marth in melee you deserve to die, I hate not being able to dish out that level of punishment in brawl. I'm worse at the in between bits of melee anyway to do with positioning and baiting so I'm not as suited to brawl.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
haha, to be fair you dont DESERVE to die if marth grabs you, his grab range is shockingly disjointed. but, you jsut will die whether you deserve to or not XD. its a little like the ice climbers in brawl

ive made a few pseudo attempts at melee, i entered melee at gt2. but i got wrecked so hard by everyone so i kinda didnt want to play it anymore, i could always be gay and use jiggly though XD

gm jack

Smash Lord
Jiggs is actually pretty hard to use to a decent standard. The easiest to get a a semi decent level may actually be fox, as with some basic tech skill, you can do a hell of a lot. The be really good though, he has a huge threshold.

In melee though, there are very few times where you take a hit and there is nothing you can do. Smart DI and teching can get you out, and the potential for higher damage per hit can be balanced by having more stocks to start with. A huge difference to the chain grabs in brawl where you can't even mix up di to make it harder for them, or to get to a platform to get a tech opportunity.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
>decent tech skill
if i refer back to a very old conversation i had with the mele scene, i stated i cant shorthop in melee with anyone except bowser and ganon XD
so no, my tech skill is disgraceful. besides i wont be playing to a decent standard and jiggs is easy enough to do things with

Top Bottom