• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
1. Banjo and Kazooie

My hardest choice so far, but in the end I love the bear and bird more

2. Rayman

Not a big fan of either characters, but I enjoy Rayman more

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Game 1: Banjo
No preference for either but I don't want indies in the game at all thanks

Game 2: Rayman
Like both but Rayman was a part of my childhood and I feel he'd make the more interesting character too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I almost thought Shovel Knight was gonna lose, lol.
I love the fact that Banjo vs Shovel Knight is a perfect mirror of K. Rool vs Decidueye because it's my top choice that people dislike because of their dislike towards new blood vs the community's top choice. He won't win, but I'll support Shovel Knight until the very end.
For Game 2 I do want both characters, but I want Crash more as I feel that he's a more exciting inclusion overall so he's my choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Game:1 Shovel Knight
Lets fight till the very shovelry end!

Game:2 Crash Bandicot.
sorry rayman, but you killed Simon... Nevah Forget!!!!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Banjo & Crash
(kind of surprised and happy both of my favorites made it this far, i honestly do not know who to vote for though if the finals are between these 2)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Shovel Knight
Crash Bandicoot

Easy choices since the other two are bleh to me.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Banjo and Kazooie - Had quite a bit of fun back in the day with one of their games. Never even knew what a Shovel Knight was.
Crash Bandicoot - Probably my favorite of the 3rd parties when I think about it.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Game 1: 1. Shovel Knight (While Shovel Knight must pay for what he did to Lloyd, I just like him more than BK.)
Game 2:
1. Crash Bandicoot (I do like both, but Crash was a much bigger part of my childhood and is my most wanted third party as well. Sorry Rayman.)

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Game 1: Shovel Knight. It would be fun to hit people in the face with a shovel and a Microsoft bear could open more floodgates.
Game 2: Crash Bandicoot. I at least know a lot more about him and played a lot of games with him.

By the way, in that Veteran bracket, why is Pokémon Trainer's slot taken by a second Mii Fighter? We shouldn't do a preliminary bracket to vote on the second Mii if the trainer is left out. Let's just have the three Miis as one spot of the bracket and have the Pokémon Trainer fight Corrin. There are people who would like to vote for the trainer separately from his Pokémon. There is a rivalry between Pokémon Trainer fans and Charizard fans. And the Announcer just calls the Brawler, Swordfighter and Gunner "Mii."

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Game 1: Shovel Knight
I'd much rather play as a knight with a shovel than a bipedal Duck Hunt.

Game 2: Crash Bandicoot
Rayman's design always put me off.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Game 1: Shovel Knight. It would be fun to hit people in the face with a shovel and a Microsoft bear could open more floodgates.
Game 2: Crash Bandicoot. I at least know a lot more about him and played a lot of games with him.

By the way, in that Veteran bracket, why is Pokémon Trainer's slot taken by a second Mii Fighter? We shouldn't do a preliminary bracket to vote on the second Mii if the trainer is left out. Let's just have the three Miis as one spot of the bracket and have the Pokémon Trainer fight Corrin. There are people who would like to vote for the trainer separately from his Pokémon. There is a rivalry between Pokémon Trainer fans and Charizard fans. And the Announcer just calls the Brawler, Swordfighter and Gunner "Mii."
I actually just took some time to think this over. Yeah, I guess I could just bring in Pokemon Trainer, then group the Mii Fighters together. My original thinking was that it is more likely for his Pokemon to be separate entities, but I could just include Pokemon Trainer in the bracket, under the premise that people might want the switching mechanic from Brawl to return.

So, Pokemon Trainer gets in the bracket and Mii Fighters are now grouped together.

NO MORE QUALIFYING ROUND. Captain Falcon VS Mii Fighters and Pokemon Trainer VS Corrin will be those new matchups.

In any case, it seems as though the veterans bracket is a popular idea. I'll definitely do one once this newcomer bracket concludes. Still open to more ideas though.

By the way, there were some questions about Pikachu VS Pichu, Pit VS Dark Pit, etc. I just wanted to do some matchups in round 1 that were clones VS the character they are based off of. Not all clones will battle their originals in the first round (maybe not even at all), such as Mario & Dr. Mario, Ness & Lucas and Marth with Roy/Lucina.

Game 1: Banjo & Kazooie

EDIT: Nimbostratus Nimbostratus Do you know how to add combatants for the second (subsequent) rounds for the bracket? I got how to add for the first round, but I don't know what to do for later rounds (and I don't know how to add a pic for the eventual winner).

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Nimbostratus Nimbostratus Do you know how to add combatants for the second (subsequent) rounds for the bracket? I got how to add for the first round, but I don't know what to do for later rounds (and I don't know how to add a pic for the eventual winner).
Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a good way of doing either of those tasks without good software for editing PDFs. I've been using Adobe Pro to both add names to later rounds and add a pic. If you can't make any other arrangements, I would be willing to upload the brackets after you produce the initial bracket for Round 1. They're mostly there just to look at- the game itself would run fine without them even if there is a delay before I am able to upload.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I actually just took some time to think this over. Yeah, I guess I could just bring in Pokemon Trainer, then group the Mii Fighters together. My original thinking was that it is more likely for his Pokemon to be separate entities, but I could just include Pokemon Trainer in the bracket, under the premise that people might want the switching mechanic from Brawl to return.

So, Pokemon Trainer gets in the bracket and Mii Fighters are now grouped together.

NO MORE QUALIFYING ROUND. Captain Falcon VS Mii Fighters and Pokemon Trainer VS Corrin will be those new matchups.

In any case, it seems as though the veterans bracket is a popular idea. I'll definitely do one once this newcomer bracket concludes. Still open to more ideas though.

By the way, there were some questions about Pikachu VS Pichu, Pit VS Dark Pit, etc. I just wanted to do some matchups in round 1 that were clones VS the character they are based off of. Not all clones will battle their originals in the first round (maybe not even at all), such as Mario & Dr. Mario, Ness & Lucas and Marth with Roy/Lucina.

Game 1: Banjo & Kazooie

Have you thought about assigning seeds and randomizing the matchups based on that?

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Banjo and Rayman. No contest.

Honestly, the amount of love Crash has here is baffling to me. At least in terms of being in smash. He's fine as a character, but when people talk about him like he was a huge rival to Mario at any point I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. He's fine as a character, but he makes no sense to me in terms of Smash. His relevance to Nintendo is about as close to nonexistent as you can get.

Also I may be a little salty about Bomberman losing ngl lol Bomberman and Banjo are easily my two most wanted third parties. And Goemon, but he's never gonna happen so that's not really a shock at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Game 1: Banjo-Kazooie

Whenever they are an option, I'll vote for them. Nineties nostalgia, and a legendary gaming franchise for how long it lasted on N64. Would be great additions and a natural fit.

Obviously has bigger ties to Nintendo, and all the more likely cause of the trophy and Mario x Rabbids crossover.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a good way of doing either of those tasks without good software for editing PDFs. I've been using Adobe Pro to both add names to later rounds and add a pic. If you can't make any other arrangements, I would be willing to upload the brackets after you produce the initial bracket for Round 1. They're mostly there just to look at- the game itself would run fine without them even if there is a delay before I am able to upload.
Yeah, if you could do that, that would be good because I don't have Adobe Pro.

Have you thought about assigning seeds and randomizing the matchups based on that?
I didn't take seeding into account because I didn't want to spend time doing that. I just picked matchups for round 1 that I felt made sense based on a number of factors, and assigned the matchups in a certain way such that there is potential for more matchups later in the tournament.

Of course, if someone wants to make a bracket based on seeding, they are more than welcome too. We can compare that bracket to what I made and make any necessary changes. It felt harder to do seeding for vets than it would for newcomers, honestly.

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Round Over. No further votes will be counted.

We're really at the end, ehh? Here are your results:

1. Banjo & Kazooie defeated 1. Shovel Knight by a score of 32-11

I doubt anyone is surprised by this. No shame for Shovel Knight to lose to Banjo. Wish we would have seen him go up against Bomberman or Phoenix Wright, but oh well.
1. Crash Bandicoot defeated 1. Rayman by a score of 25-18

Good match. People liked both, but Crash was seen as more hype. Not saying it would have changed the result, but I do wonder if Rayman has become considered so likely that he's almost seen as vanilla, which is by no means his fault. He'll still have his chance to shine in the consolation.

And here are last matchups of the third-party bracket.

Championship Game: 1. Banjo & Kazooie vs 1. Crash Bandicoot
Consolation Game: 1. Shovel Knight vs 1. Rayman

Begin Championship Round. Voting will last until at least Monday, May 21 at 22:00 EDT.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Championship Game: Crash Bandicoot

I just have a personal preference for Crash since I've actually played his games. I would welcome Banjo to Smash anyway if it happens though. It'd be amazing if we got both of these two come DLC period time so we can carry out the match in real time rather then just a popularity contest

Consolation Game: Rayman

I'm not as against Shovel Knight as I was in the DLC period for Smash 4 as now it's actually been a decent amount of time. And if he's included as THE indie rep then I'll understand the inclusion. But Rayman just has alot more history and actually already got some content in Smash even if it was just as a trophy. While there's reasons for that in relation to Nintendo in Japan. It's still none the less one of the biggest oddities in Smash history. I hope it's rectified in Smash Switch.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Championship: Banjo & Kazooie
They are 100% my most wanted characters. I would do anything to see them in Smash even pick them over Crash.

Consolation: Shovel Knight I guess.
I don't really care for either character being in Smash but I did enjoy SK more than any of Rayman games I played.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'll take Banjo for the top spot. Don't really have an attachment to either, but I feel Banjo just fits better.

Consolation prize: Shovel Knight. Again, not really attached to either, but Rayman weirds me out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Championship: Banjo Kazooie
Ah, the technically not Sony character vs. the technically Microsoft character. Banjo is basically a Nintendo icon, and a reminder of the time when Rare could do anything.

Consolation: Rayman
Voting because of history, although it should be noted that I haven’t played Shovel Knight. That said, he should get in due to his own merits (which he has), not just as an indie catchall.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Finally adding my reasons this time!

Championship Game:
Banjo & Kazooie

Yeah, I'm sticking with the bear in the bird to the end. I've loved Crash since childhood too though.

To be honest this was an easy vote. I liked Shovel Knight's game enough but I'm not even sure I'd pick him if I had to add an indie, while Rayman's a big name I've known and liked for a long time and I'd personally be more interested in fighting as him.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice

Consolation Game: Shovel Knight

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

This was a really hard pick for me to choose because Crash and Banjo are two characters who would be great for Smash. I just think Crash needs to be in the game more than the Bear & Bird. Given that he was Mario's rival in the late 90's and all.

Rayman was an easy pick for me. Don't care to see Shovel Knight in Smash.

Top Bottom