• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Aside from Cap/Ganondorf, I have preferred the clone character in all cases over the original character. Even Pichu.

I definitely prefer Brawl over Melee, though both games are great. Melee just doesn't have the same expansive, magical feeling that Brawl does. Plus Brawl's newcomers were amazing. Nothing has ever had me more hyped than when I saw Pokemon Trainer on the Dojo that night.

I'm excited for SSB4, though I'm a little pessimistic. Aside from Robin, I don't really have any hype at all for the newcomers or stages. I feel like the 3DS version is completely unnecessary as well... Though I'm definitely picking it up when it comes out, at midnight if there is a midnight launch (I already have it paid off).

I hate the competitive scene a lot. Not for the competitions themselves, but because the people within that community are totally snobby about lower-tier characters. When I wreck their Fox with my Roy in Melee, they get super pissy. Not that I'm the best player ever, but it's been known to happen. The Melee-superiority complex among this community is one of the most aggravating things in the world.

I kinda liked Pokefloats. I'm the one person.

I think that the idea for Subspace Emissary is great- I wish it would be its own game. A full blown adventure game crossover with all the Nintendo characters sounds great- doesn't work THAT well with Smash Bros though and it made Brawl's development suffer... My biggest issue with it was the bland as hell environments. Would have rather it had been in all the different Nintendo locations rather than generic forest, generic zoo, generic field, generic cave. Give me Mushroom Kingdom, give me Hyrule, give me Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos (No Unova though, I said less generic areas, not more). Basically I want to combine SSE with Melee's Adventure Mode. Perfect.

I really like the combined target test. Don't get me wrong, I also love the individual one. BUT. I like thinking "Oh snap, how is Ike going to get that one?" Or "How quick can Sonic do this one?" I'd like for there to be individual ones for everyone and then one or two combined Target courses.

To be continued.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I use the Wiimote and Nunchuk. I used to hate Jigglypuff, but then I tried her out and now she's my main and I really want her to return. I'm actually really excited for the Mii Fighters. Robin's gimmick seems a little too complex for my taste. I wish Sheik had her Hyrule Warriors moveset. My current most wanted character, besides the Jiggs, is Zant, even though he's very unlikely.
That reminds me of how much I've wished for midna to be a character in smash bros.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Hello, my name is, uh, Plug One, and um... Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I like Twizzlers and um, I like the Alligator Bob, and my favorite drama movie is Bloodsucking Freaks, just like your mama.

And uh, first off, I have a confession to make. I actually like Pac-Man as a character. I feel like he actually has a discernible personality, and honestly, I think it's less shallow than Link's or Mario's, not that I care, because I find characters with heavy amounts of backstory and dialogue to be extremely boring much of the time.

Another thing is, well, I really want a new Ice Climber game in a similar vein to Kid Icarus Uprising. Like, I'd consider cancelling a Zelda or Metroid game if it meant I could get one.

There are characters that I am vehemently against becoming playable (oftentimes exacerbated by fanbases which I perceive to be terrible), but I'll be nothing but happy for their fanbases if they end up in the game.

I have a lot of respect for the competitive community, and always have, even when I considered myself "casual" so many years ago, and didn't go to tournaments.

Finally, I've got to get something off of my chest. Y'see...I actually like Smash both as a competitive fighting game and as a celebration of Nintendo's history, and equally so. I get just as excited at the prospect of new advanced techniques as I do for a newcomer I like. That's kind of why Brawl rubbed me the wrong way. It's the best Smash game in terms of fanservice, but the gameplay doesn't excite me. So to me, Brawl comes off as a very "neutral" game, with just as many cons as pros.

Last edited:

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
-I play every smash competitively including pm but i still like brawl the best competitively even though its not as competitive as the rest.
-I was so afraid of redeads as a child that i was afraid to play melee in fear of them randomly appearing
-I cant play pm Fox or Falco to save my life.
-Mewtwo is probably my least favorite character.
-I thought Captain Falcon was a power ranger when I first saw him as a kid.

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
- All my friends and I were obsessed with the user stats in Melee (not the character ones, the username ones). That was a huge issue for me when it was removed from Brawl.
- I mained Dr. Mario, Falco, and Game & Watch in Melee
- I sold my gamecube to get a wii and brawl
- I ended up disliking brawl so much I sold my wii and now have no smash games :-(
- I don't mind items at all but hate stage hazards, final smashes and assists

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
-I never liked Smash 64, but Melee was one of my favorite games.
-While I acknowledge that tiers exist, I tend to just play whatever character I want and my main tends to be low tier.
-I have lost against the same Samus for years in a row and never once even thought that I should complain, but I get annoyed when other people john about losing to the same player.
-Since most of my time playing Melee was at a friend's house, my own save file of Melee doesn't even approach my real number of played hours. I have no idea how much time I've spent on that game.
-I never really got serious about unlocking stuff in Brawl until I started getting hype for Smash 4's release. I didn't even have the "75 CDs unlocked" trophy until sometime last week.
-Speaking of unlocks, I'm saving my all of my golden hammers until I am down to the last 5 challenges. I don't want to commit until I'm sure.
-On that note I've only found 4 of the 5 golden hammers, and I still have 27 challenges left.
-I'm a member of "I never thought Marth was a girl" club.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Fine, I'll spill the beans...
I USE C-STICKS FOR SMASH ATTACKS SOMETIMES!
I LOVE USING THE WIIMOTE IN BRAWL!
I DON'T OWN BRAWL, MELEE, OR EVEN SMASH 64!

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I didn't know Shiek and Zelda were in that same character icon in Brawl up until earlier this year... I always thought it was just Zelda, leaning forward and towards the right with blond hair.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
-I like to imagine the daily lives of the characters.
-I have so many headcanons for Smash it's unreal.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
**** THIS POST

MODS EDITED WHAT I SAID SO THERE'S NO POINT IN SAYING IT ANYMORE

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
My group of friends and I have always loved Smash, however, I was the only one that actually owned Brawl, and since I played it so much and they had no chance to, I became like, a lot better at the game than them. To levels that pretty much guaranteed I would win every match against them.

But that's a bad thing, being the absolute best player between your friends gets old fast.

So whenever we would play together, I'd play badly on purpose.

It became like a completely new form of the game in some way, you have to be really careful on how you do it or they actually start to get suspicious. In the end, I managed to enjoy the game in a completely different way than I did at first. It was far more than just letting my friends win, it was setting limits to what I could actually do, and really doing my best within those limitations, even though "doing my best" was not actually making use of my entire potential. There were a few points when something happened that ended up surprising me and one of my friends suddenly started really kicking my ass badly while I was at a disadvantage, so I instantly dropped everything and started going for real, and those times where when it was all worth it. The act was all about evening out our skills, so it was easy to underestimate my friend's abilities, and that's when I could go all out and enjoy the game as I wanted to.

Haven't done that in a really long while, though, I don't play as much Smash these days, so when we actually play again, we're all at a far closer skill level than we used to. But still, it's a fun memory, and I never actually told them I did that.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
The only reason I like Mewtwo is because I feel awesome when I spam his teleport.

I actually love defensive play (<3 Brawl). I just love the feeling of perfectly dodging and avoiding the opponent.
(Watching defensive play, is of course another story)

I almost never grab normally, it's almost always out of shield.

I have a strange obsession with down-throws. They always look the coolest/funniest to me so I find myself using them a lot - even when I could have easily finished them with a back/up throw.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
-I don't understand terms such as Back-Air, Wavedashing, and UTilt.
-Competitive players are the death of me. I get annoyed at them sometimes, but I can't help but envy them.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I main Meta Knight and Toon Link. I did so not because of their tier placement, but because I think Meta Knight looks cool, and Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game

I think tier lists are complete and total garbage. The reasons being I rock with Ness, can't play as Ice Climbers, and Zelda, Ike, Lucas, and Pit are super cheap in my eyes

I have never been able to play well as Marth

I fear going to a tournament due to the worry of being argued out by competitive die-hards. Because items are cool and ledgehogging is cheap

One time when I was younger, my brother convinced me that there was a version where the Kanto starters were playable, and that Koopa Troopa was playable in Melee

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
- I maxed out the minutes played in Melee at 9,999 but never bothered to learn wavedashing or any of that other advanced stuff.
- I went to a tournament and ended up playing the guy they were following in MTV's true life in the 1st round. I thought I was really good before the tournament and not so much afterwards. Although he told me he played 10 hours a day so I didn't feel so bad.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Project M is my favorite game of the series. Not Brawl. Project M.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
- I've played Smash 64 only once, and it was when I bought it for my friend on VC a couple years ago and thought I could transfer it from my Wii to his on a SD card (silly fool that I was). Honestly... I didn't like it, and my friend's undying nostalgia for it grates on my nerves.

- I was never into Smash Bros. until I was at a sleepover with my high school friends, where we played Melee. I still remember playing on the Temple stage for the first time as Link, getting my face handed to me by a weird space-suit guy named Samus. After that, I had to get my own copy, and the rest is a beautiful history.

- I loved Melee during its time, and I really enjoyed going through and unlocking all the characters and then beating All-Star mode with each of them. So much so that I would occasionally wipe my data just to do it again.

- Brawl easily replaced Melee for me. Bigger cast, awesome stages, GORGEOUS MUSIC (I was/am a musician, so I geeked hard on the fully orchestrated soundtrack), and the Subspace Emissary. Oh, Subspace.

- I cried during the R.O.B. scene in Subspace. No regrets.

- Smash 4 lost hype for me almost as soon as it was announced when I found out there would be no story mode. However, I knew I would get over it, and I have. Hyped all the way!

- I only cared about getting 2 newcomers for Smash 4: Toad and Isaac. However, I am extremely happy with the newcomers thus far, and I'm sure it will be an awesome game even if I don't get my most wanted characters. (besides, Rosalina and Robin are kinda like spiritual successors to my two guys if they don't get in)

- And my last one for now is this: I feel the same way about competitive Smash with its tiers and wavedashes and stuff as I do about IVs and Natures in Pokémon. It sucks the fun out of the game. Pokémon is cool because I get to go on an adventure with super pets with elemental attacks, but when you reduce them to stats and numbers it suddenly turns into a prolonged statistics problem. I play Smash because it brings together the various characters that have told me stories that I've cried, laughed, fumed, and grown with. Honestly, it truly is a "celebration"; a celebration of a company and stories and characters that have enriched my life for 24 years.

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
-I would always try to look up Peach's dress.
also I ain't no perv but is anyone else wondering what Peach's panties will look like in smash 4

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
— When I first heard of Super Smash Brothers (specifically Melee), it was through an ad on the Pokémon website. I thought the game was some dumb knockoff. Oh, how wrong I was...
— The first character I ever played as in a Smash Bros. game was Kirby.
— I survived until over 300% as Kirby in one match (my first time playing the game, even!) because my friend tried to KO me with Sheik's needles. This was in Melee, where Kirby regularly dies at anything higher than 50%.
— The second character I played as in Smash was Falco. I SD'd with Falco Phantasm twice and spammed his rapid jab. I also got his and Captain Falcon's names mixed up multiple times.
— In Melee, I never used the shield, sidestep dodge, or rolling dodge. I also never learned how to wavedash or L-cancel.
— It annoys me how, in Melee, it's practically impossible for most characters to use an aerial attack without ending up in landing lag. Makes the game sort of slow and very ground-based if you don't know how to short hop.
— My most-played characters in Melee are Pichu and Mewtwo.
— Teleport spam as Mewtwo is super fun!
— In Brawl, I still never use the shield, unless I accidentally perfect-shield when trying to sidestep dodge. (Excluding a PSA hack I have in Brawl who taunts foes with "That's an attack?" any time she blocks an attack.)
— I play a very, VERY defensive Pit in Brawl. Mirror Shield abuse annoys the heck out of all my friends. XD
— Moment of awesome: I once sidestep dodged all 3 hits of Ganondorf's Final Smash at close range.
— I play Zelda in Brawl similar to how I played Mewtwo in Melee: Spam Farore's Wind for great justice!

— It annoys me greatly when people misspell "bob-omb" as "bomb-omb".

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
• I feel kind of hurt (okay, more than kind of) when people say competitive play takes the fun out of the game, even though I see where they're coming from with it. I'm sorry that my fun's not compatible with your fun, and trust me when I say I enjoy it as a celebration of Nintendo as much as you do.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
My group of friends and I have always loved Smash, however, I was the only one that actually owned Brawl, and since I played it so much and they had no chance to, I became like, a lot better at the game than them. To levels that pretty much guaranteed I would win every match against them.

But that's a bad thing, being the absolute best player between your friends gets old fast.

So whenever we would play together, I'd play badly on purpose.

It became like a completely new form of the game in some way, you have to be really careful on how you do it or they actually start to get suspicious. In the end, I managed to enjoy the game in a completely different way than I did at first. It was far more than just letting my friends win, it was setting limits to what I could actually do, and really doing my best within those limitations, even though "doing my best" was not actually making use of my entire potential. There were a few points when something happened that ended up surprising me and one of my friends suddenly started really kicking my *** badly while I was at a disadvantage, so I instantly dropped everything and started going for real, and those times where when it was all worth it. The act was all about evening out our skills, so it was easy to underestimate my friend's abilities, and that's when I could go all out and enjoy the game as I wanted to.

Haven't done that in a really long while, though, I don't play as much Smash these days, so when we actually play again, we're all at a far closer skill level than we used to. But still, it's a fun memory, and I never actually told them I did that.
I have a similar story with MK8. I'm hand's down the best player in the household, and people get tired of always losing to me. In an effort to make the game seem more "fun", I started imposing limits on myself.

The first limit was "Don't go out of the way to get coins", which turned into "Actively avoid coins unless you get them from an item" when I was still winning.
When that wasn't enough, I moved to "Just don't use items. Like at all."
After that "If you accidentally hit a coin, you have to get hit or fall off the road so that your coins will reset to 0 as soon as reasonably possible."

Only after that third one did I even start losing. I ease up a bit after that if I find myself falling behind.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
— In Melee, I never used the shield, sidestep dodge, or rolling dodge. I also never learned how to wavedash or L-cancel.
— It annoys me how, in Melee, it's practically impossible for most characters to use an aerial attack without ending up in landing lag. Makes the game sort of slow and very ground-based if you don't know how to short hop.
The point of L-Cancelling was to negate most of the landing lag of aerials, unless you're referring to auto-cancelled moves, in which moves finish their full animation before the character hits the ground. Hope this helps

Also:
  • Before I started playing competitively I thought Mewtwo was the most badass character. Now I think its Ganon

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
The point of L-Cancelling was to negate most of the landing lag of aerials, unless you're referring to auto-cancelled moves, in which moves finish their full animation before the character hits the ground. Hope this helps
Yes, I know that L-cancelling reduces landing lag. The point is that trying to hit a grounded foe with an aerial attack without L-cancelling is an exercise in frustration in Melee.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I know that L-cancelling reduces landing lag. The point is that trying to hit a grounded foe with an aerial attack without L-cancelling is an exercise in frustration in Melee.
Ah yes, many believe, including competitive players, that L-Canceling is arbitrary and it should not be required in the first place. But that's just an opinion

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
• I feel kind of hurt (okay, more than kind of) when people say competitive play takes the fun out of the game, even though I see where they're coming from with it. I'm sorry that my fun's not compatible with your fun, and trust me when I say I enjoy it as a celebration of Nintendo as much as you do.
If my comment is one that caused you hurt, then I truly apologize; but I actually feel the same way in the opposite fashion. When someone says that Zelda is trash because she's low tier, I get indignant because she as a character is someone I adore. I've saved her, fought beside her, and felt her kindness and self-sacrifice on countless occasions, and in Smash I finally get to play as her. When she's reduced to how well she stacks up in a competitive scene and often deemed unworthy, I'm hurt as well.

I guess the solution is for people like us not to be so touchy, to not take it personally, but I also guess that that is unlikely since I'm assuming you're as passionate about it as I am. So let me say, I full-heartedly agree to disagree. :upsidedown:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If my comment is one that caused you hurt, then I truly apologize; but I actually feel the same way in the opposite fashion. When someone says that Zelda is trash because she's low tier, I get indignant because she as a character is someone I adore. I've saved her, fought beside her, and felt her kindness and self-sacrifice on countless occasions, and in Smash I finally get to play as her. When she's reduced to how well she stacks up in a competitive scene and often deemed unworthy, I'm hurt as well.

I guess the solution is for people like us not to be so touchy, to not take it personally, but I also guess that that is unlikely since I'm assuming you're as passionate about it as I am. So let me say, I full-heartedly agree to disagree. :upsidedown:
Little tip: Even the lowest of the low on the tiers have specialists. Yoshi has never been higher than C. ;)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
• It took me ages to figure out how to get 64 Luigi, because my usual go-to book for codes at the time was pre-1999. My brother and I kept wondering who that last space was until we were able to get the internet working in our house for the first time.
• Speaking of Luigi, I really hope he gets his electrical powers from Superstar Saga as a custom.
• I love the ultra-bizarre debug stages in 64 and Melee and I wish they would be included somehow -_-
• I thought Samus was a robot at first.

Last edited:

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
  • My first time playing Smash Bros. was on the N64 at my grandparents' house. I got through Classic Mode whilst completely freaking out over the fact that I was playing as Yoshi in a fighting game, all the while unaware of the fact the fact that the game had been preset to Very Hard with one life, and believing Master Hand was just naturally that hard after my experiences with Street Fighter.
  • I used to main Kirby when Melee was first released. I was convinced he was the best character in the game because I could take on three Level 9 CPUs all on the same team against me and win. I was devastated the day I discovered tier lists. (Though I was slightly relieved when I found out that Sheik, who was one of my secondaries, was super-top.)
  • I discovered a few character-specific ATs in Melee without ever having researched them online. Nearly every form of Kirbycide and Mario's cape gliding were among them.
  • I didn't know about Smash attacks for a very long time with Melee. I almost exclusively relied on throws for my kills.
  • It took me about three years to unlock all the characters and stages in Melee.
  • I disregarded every fake character rumor I ever read online or hear from friends...except the Sonic & Tails rumor. I spent many a countless night trying to defeat 20 enemies in Cruel Melee. Never did it though, and I felt a little better once I found out the pictures had been photoshopped.
  • Despite my huge love for Melee, the first tournament I ever entered was for Brawl. I got dead last.
  • Despite the fact that I know a ton about competitive Smash, I can't place in a tournament to save my life.

Jordo

Smash Apprentice
-Smash 64 is my favorite entry in the series thus far and I love Smash 4 incorporating callbacks to that game.

-My friends and I adjust the knockback to high so I can spam Mario's super jump punch and get one hit star KOs.

-The post game bonuses are fun, but the fact that you had to get every last little absurd one to unlock the Diskun trophy was ridiculous!

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I almost never grab normally, it's almost always out of shield.
Wait, isn't that how everybody does it? o.0

• I've jerked off to Zero Suit Samus before.
  • 64 is still the best game in the series
  • Melee's HD intro still makes me cry
  • Subspace Emissary was a great inclusion and I am upset we won't be getting anything like it
  • I spent way too long in my Melee days sneaking a peek at Peach's bloomers
  • Brawl offers the best gaming experience with friends
  • I would prefer Dixie Kong over K. Rool
  • Ridley should be a boss, and the only reason why people want him as a character so badly is because it's an ongoing Smash Bros joke
  • I am okay with Mewtwo not returning
  • The hard core complaining competitive fans have ruined Melee for me
  • People who are already wishing for a PM hack for Smash 4 deserve to burn in a fire
BEST. POST. EVER.

Top Bottom