• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

D

Deleted member

I own Smash 64 and Brawl, but not Melee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Why don't we go deeper?
I think Metroid deserves one more representant just because Kid Icarus got one, not because of that "Big 3 franchises" crap. The biggest Nintendo franchises are Mario, Pokémon and Donkey Kong.

D

Deleted member

Why don't we go deeper?
I think Metroid deserves one more representant just because Kid Icarus got one, not because of that "Big 3 franchises" crap. The biggest Nintendo franchises are Mario, Pokémon and Donkey Kong.
I would say Zelda is definitely larger than Donkey Kong

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I would say Zelda is definitely larger than Donkey Kong
Fair enough. Still, Metroid is no "Big 3".
Whenever people say "Metroid deserves more represantants because it is one of the Big 3 franchises", I read that as "Metroid deserves more representants because I like Mario, Zelda and Metroid".

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
In Melee, if I'm not playing as my mains then I'm intimidated by a lvl 9 spacey

In Brawl, I'm intimidated by every lvl 9 character

I used to think Smash Bros was a childish game because it's Nintendo my friends always played sports games

I used to run tournaments in 64 and Melee with myself and......the rest of the roster as CPU (I was a Smash god among them)

D

Deleted member

Fair enough. Still, Metroid is no "Big 3".
Whenever people say "Metroid deserves more represantants because it is one of the Big 3 franchises", I read that as "Metroid deserves more representants because I like Mario, Zelda and Metroid".
yeah, Metroid isn't really close to the top 3, I would put Kirby, Donkey Kong, and now Fire Emblem before it

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I don't care much for Ice Climbers or Jigglypuff and hope they were ejected in favor of other newcomers.

Nothing against the characters or their fans, I just don't see their relevance anymore. Although you could say that for other characters as well...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
-While I prefer Melee's mechanics as a whole/for serious play, I still find Brawl's mechanics very enjoyable even in a more serious setting, and as a whole, I think Brawl is a much, MUCH better game than Melee. It just has so much more content and the cast is way more diverse, in part because there are MORE characters, and in part because of the fact it cut down on clones.

-I didn't own any Smash game legally until Brawl came out. Before that, I practiced in Smash 64 in an emulator. I started playing before I ever bought a PC controller, so I actually became really solid with keyboard controls.

-While I have a fair bit of sentimental nostalgia for Smash 64 and a LOT for Brawl, I have next to none for Melee. I still enjoy the game a lot though, and think it's better than Smash 64 overall, and better than Brawl for when I want to play a highly technical match.

-A couple of months ago, I could wave dash and L-Cancel really well in Melee and Project M, but due to neglecting to play them for a while, I can no longer do either effectively, as I discovered when I tried to play Melee the other day. And in general, my Falco game has seriously deteriorated. It's safe to say I can't play especially well in Melee anymore...

-I think Super Smash Flash 2 is as good as any of the official Smash games and I think it deserves it's very own sub-forum here on Smashboards, since Project M got one.

-I'd totally love to see Black Mage in Smash 4 with his exact moveset from SSF2 and similar animations to what he has in that game. I think what they did with him in SSF2 not only makes him a strong fighter with a creative moveset, but one of the most charming examples of how Smash can turn an otherwise cute but fairly soulless mascot, into a completely loveable and endearing character.

-While a lot of people thought I was against Pac-Man being in Smash 4, I never was. I merely felt that he wasn't needed to complete any sort of "big 4 mascots" thing, I thought Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man were a complete trio, and I don't think he is nearly as respectable as the other three, despite being one of the earliest video game mascots, since his franchise has had no real staying power with nothing really keeping people interested in it (yes, Sonic had a rough time once and was only coming out of it before Brawl, but the games still interested people in SOME way, and the character is just really endearing to so many people and has a surprising amount of depth and likability, and he's also well known for his TV shows and comics. And while Mega Man has been getting the shaft from Capcom, there is an obvious demand for more Mega Man games by the public). I was also rubbed the wrong way because most people wanted him for that reason alone, and not because they had creative ideas for movesets or because they even genuinely loved the character (and I never expected people to since Pac-Man is really a soulless mascot character and anytime he's had anything resembling a fleshed out personality to speak of, nobody has really liked it, e.g. Ghostly Adventures). That all being said, I really like Sakurai's take on Pac-Man and I'd go as far as to say I'd love to see him make a Pac-Man adventure game, since I believe he has the power to breathe new life into Pac-Man as a franchise, much like he did to Kid Icarus.

-Subspace Emissary was one of my favourite things to ever be added to the franchise. It had some flaws, but overall, I believe it to be a successful, worthwhile addition to Brawl, and it is a hell of a lot better than Melee's "Adventure" mode (especially since Melee's Adventure mode also made Classic Mode feel redundant). I also don't understand why people dislike the Great Maze. People complain that it's too difficult, too long, or too tedious, but I felt none of these things. It can be completed in 2-3 hours and there are plenty of save points if you want to take a break from it. Honestly, the Great Maze was just as fun as the Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Super Star, if not more fun.

-When Sakurai announced that there will be no story in Smash 4, I was extremely disappointed. It actually killed my hype for a while. However, Rosalina's announcement put me back on the hype train, and she's still one of my most hyped aspects about this game. I haven't been this excited for a character since Sonic being announced for Brawl (with Mega Man being a close second, and Palutena being third).

-I'm actually really excited for Amiibos and am satisfied with their implementation into Smash as they stand now.

-I'm more excited for the prospect of playing Smash Run online than I am for playing regular matches online, at least in relation to the 3DS version.

-I own a physical copy of Melee and Brawl, but I don't own any legal copy of Smash 64.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You kinda beat me to it; I was originally gonna make a thread like this but I'm not so good at enforcing rules and such.

So anyway...

• Interestingly enough, Brawl was the first Super Smash Bros. game I played, in 2009. I bought Melee a few years later.
  • When I first started playing I mostly spammed B moves with Kirby (the first character I played). This was in like Feb 2009, several months later in September I had gathered some skills by watching videos and played a match at my college; I was Captain Falcon and my opponent was Wolf. I beat him, and I didn't even dodge or shield. Sometimes I just think my opponent wasn't so good at Wolf. It was a match for fun, anyway.
  • ...I used to think Sheik was a guy when I first saw her. I guess I get fooled very easily by "reverse trap" characters, heh
  • I'm liking the newcomers so far in SSB4.
  • It hurts me to see Snake getting so much hate and backlash because his series, Metal Gear, usually isn't on Nintendo systems often nowadays. I won't get into an argument here cause this isn't the Unpopular Opinions thread. And call me crazy but I have a sliver of hope that at the very least he may return as DLC.
  • I didn't hate the Subspace Emissary.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
  • I always thought Master Hand and Crazy Hand were embodiments of Mario and Luigi, respectively.
  • I thought Captain Falcon's taunt was "Show me a Moose"
  • Never knew who Ness was until Brawl
  • Thought Samus was a boy
  • Never used Airdodge/Shield
And worst of all...
  • I WANT PRIMID AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Oh, yeah, Jigglypuff. I don't see the point of her being in the game. People say she was big in the old days. I was in the old days. I was addicted to Pokémon. I can tell you that Jigglypuff wasn't that big. Pikachu, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and arguably Meowth and Clefairy were featured in more promotional material than her. She was just a recurring character in the anime, but so were Pidgeotto, Geodude and Starmie. People also say she is still big in Japan. The thing is, she isn't. I challenge you to find any recent relevant material that proeminently features her.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • Smash on physical media is never safe around me. I shattered my first Melee disk and I think my 64 cartridge is starting to die.
  • I was a lot more excited about Brawl's pre-release era than SSB4's. Right now it's kind of a "once bitten twice shy" deal, in no small part thanks to the community, and Sakurai being annoying about it doesn't help.
  • I'm hoping for Sonic to get a second rep. Preferably Tails.
  • I often fell for character hoaxes when I was younger. You know, spin the analog stick thirty times to unlock Master Hand, beat adventure with one stock very hard all characters to unlock Toad, leave the GameCube on overnight and do the Konami Code as Mewtwo to unlock Mew, etc.
  • I consider Jigglypuff to be a Super Smash Bros. rep rather than a Pokémon rep. She may not be relevant there, but I feel she's important here.

Also;

-I think Super Smash Flash 2 is as good as any of the official Smash games and I think it deserves it's very own sub-forum here on Smashboards, since Project M got one.
T H A N K . Y O U.

SSF2 is my primary game of choice, above even Project M, and I get so pissed off that it will most likely never have a sizable community. All thanks to that damned Saiyan driving away most potential players. (And yes, I am completely aware that he's one of my mains.)

Last edited:

Totally Casual

Smash Cadet
  • I have literally no interest in getting competitive level good, seems too much like making the game I love into hard work.
  • I prefer Brawl to Melee, it has more content and a more diverse roster with some really fun movesets for the new characters.
  • I never actually spotdodge, I always prefer to shield instead because it feels like I have more options.
  • I'm decent for a casual player, but can't for the life of me beat a competent Snake ever.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
The only reason I main rob is because I'm a sucker for sob stories and I have a fetish for quirky 80's robots.
I hope smash 4 takes over melee competitively.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
- My friend told me I could unlock Giant DK and Metal Mario in SSB64 and I believed him. So many hours wasted.

- I can't wavedash or any of that stuff.

- I'll ONLY main characters if they have spammy projectiles.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have a few from when I first played Melee (it was my first video game ever):
  • I thought that "points" were good, and the higher your damage was, the better.
  • I had SUCH a hard time beating Master Hand, even on the easiest setting.
  • I thought Samus and Sheik were guys.
  • I bought Sunshine for no reason other than I read a comment online that if you had Sunshine and Melee on the same Memory Card, it would let you play as Giga Bowser (so glad I did though, it wound up being one of my favorite games).

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
I heavily rely on the John, "You got lucky that match. Let's go again. Right now."

It kind of loses its effect after five or six straight matches.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
In Brawl, I could never main a character without a counter. Despite this, all Counter characters are my secondary and Sonic is my main because he's Sonic.

Last edited:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
  • I want Mewtwo back even though I wont even touch him
  • I'm going to play Rosalina because shes hot
  • I bought FE:Awakening because of the Robin trailer, because Lucina is hot
  • Groose

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I played Roy over Marth

I always hated Young Link but didn't mind Toon Link

I always preferred Falco over Fox and think Falco players are better than Fox players

I always thought Ness said *PK CROSS* instead of PK Flash

Melee>Brawl=64

I wanted Blaziken over Lucario and Greninja

I miss Fountain of Dreams

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I suck at technical inputs; I.E. wavedash
I main Mario in PM but am better at Ganondorf somehow
I always played with tap jump until a week ago
Smash balls on = Johns from me half the time
I always thought Ness yelled "PK ROCKS" and never understood why
I always wondered who the hell marth and roy were and why those sissies were among the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf
I main mario in every game, but actually play all of the villains heavily as well, just because they are villains

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I use a Wii remote when playing Brawl because I literally don't have anything else.:cry:

Raijinken

Smash Master
  • Like others, I was (and deep inside, still am) convinced tiers exist because of character favoritism, and an early tier list will cause high tier characters to be played, and thus expanded upon, more than low tier characters, enforcing the tier list further.
  • Smash Bros 64 made me hate Fox, and regardless of his strength as a character, I have always hated him.
  • To this day, I cannot see why people mistook Marth for a girl. It has never made sense to me.
  • I honestly enjoy every version of Smash Bros, regardless of competition, casualness, or anything else. It's all fun.
  • That said, of all games, I find Melee the least enjoyable to go back and play, as it feels uninspired and aesthetically dark, especially after Project M and Smash4.
  • Despite being a Marth main for three games (counting PM as a separate game), I will drop him without a second thought if he is not still voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa in the American release of Smash4 (having a voice language option would count).
  • I liked Subspace, even if it was just a Kirby game with more characters.
  • While there are many cool characters that fans want to have included, I am solidly against any new Pokemon playable characters until other older and underrepresented franchises have fair representation. The biggest ones are F-Zero, Metroid, and Donkey Kong.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
- I don't like maining characters. I always pick Random and I'm pretty decent with almost all of them.
- I hate stages where the screen scrolls automatically.
- I'd be happy if Jigglypuff, the Ice Climbers and even Peach weren't in the game.
- I'd rather have a lot of newcomers with several veterans cut than all veterans returning and very few newcomers.
- I think Final Destination is the most boring stage in the series.
- I don't understand why people like Fox so much. I don't seem to be able to control him properly.
- I think Tier Lists are dumb. I know some characters have advantages, though.
- I don't understand the argument on which Smash is better. They are just really fun to play, and that's all that matters to me.

I'll post more if I remember more.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
My friends and I have our own lingo for meteor smashes such as: "down stomped", "Ganked". The popular term "stitch face" for peaches high dmg turnip we call "crying johnny". The small eyed 2nd most damaging turnip we call "beady eyed". We call jigglypuff's "rest" down b "pinged" when it confirms.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
- I cannot L-Cancel or Wavedash...
- I did not own Smash 64 during its life-cycle. I did; however, play it quite frequently.
- Corneria was our default competitive stage.
- I did not really main Jigglypuff in Brawl. I tried so hard (for years even), but it never "worked."

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
- I thought Samus and Captain Falcon were siblings because they shared the same stage in smash 64
- First character I have ever played in Smash 64 was Link, and I followed that tradition for every other next iteration of Smash
- Never unlocked Luigi or Ness, I just didn't know how, I was like 4
- I thought Marth and Roy were Zelda characters, because I never completed Ocarina of a Time (water temple) so I thought they would appear much later in the game
- I play the GameCube controller with my right hand on the directional stick and my left hand on the buttons, I don't know how I got used to that. Playing normally feels unnatural
- Me and my brother stayed up until 4 am to unlock Mewtwo
- Barely ever used the c-stick
- Played Brawl with the wiimote and nunchuck, and was pretty good actually, until I found out you can use GameCube controllers
- Subspace Emissary made me tear up of happiness
- I didn't know Toon Link, Wolf, and Jigglypuff were in Brawl, so it was a nice surprise when I found the secret doors that lead to them

Top Bottom