• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Run

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I like the mode overall, I just wished the final smash battles lasted 2 minutes instead of 1. I don't feel that such a short final match justifies the long time collecting power-ups.

It also kinda annoys me the special brawls are locked away behind smash run and not available in regular matches. I guess they did that to give Smash Run more charm but I rather have my options.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I really like the Power-Ups sequence, It really shows that Smash Bros can be a platformer if it wanted to. I just don't like final battle at all however.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've been constantly trying to get the highest gsp in this mode, still not exactly sure how you get more points whether its just by collecting stuff, collecting gold/custom/smash run items, or if the final battle performance counts too. (Highest gsp is like 1.57 million). I've played Smash run with every single character, and have about 2 hours just with Jigglypuff alone.

However for strats this is usually what I do.

-Create a Mobile Character with Equipment
Its important that your character can move around very fast from the get go, the faster you can move around, the faster you can collect more power-ups. So much time is wasted if you're slowly running around all over the place. Also, characters who are naturally fast or can jump alot are great such as Jigglypuff, Sonic, Marth, ect. Anyone that was particularly good in SSE will be good in this mode. Equipment also has some extra side effects that can assist you, not all of them have it but usually they'll state it and you can press X to see the description of said side effect. Some effects that I find to be useful are Crash Run (which basically means you can damage enemies by running like you're in Sonic Unleashed doing a boost run), Improved Attack while in the air (Especially useful for Jigglypuff), and others that might increase your run speed or jump height.

-Pick useful power-ups
Power-ups in this game can really assist you when you need them most, mostly in the challenge doors when you are unable to complete the challenges by yourself. For example the giant Lazer beam becomes incredibly helpful to destroy the Crystals in the hardest mode, and even if you don't need them you'll still get the job done faster, with only 5 minutes, you need all the time you can get. I also find the launch ring particularly useful as it makes a SSE Tabuu like attack where it creates a giant circle around you to blast all enemies away. It's important to remember that while enemies have HP, they can be instantly KO'd by being knocked out of the screen. Using the launch ring can instantly KO bigger boss enemies and essentially gimp them. Don't worry, the power ups will fly onto the screen for you to grab if they get KO'd like this. Other power-ups I find useful are the single hammer item and the single back-shield if you have space (as it is probably the most useful item that only takes up 1 slot)

-Pick a Route to take
One thing I've noticed while playing is that if you defeat enemies in an area and come back to it later, there generally won't be anyone to fight, and with nothing to fight you have nothing to collect, and with nothing to collect you're flat out wasting time. So when traveling the map you generally want to make sure you don't have to travel through the same place twice. I find myself constantly being at the bottom left of the map the most, due to it being the place where all the canons take you to. Dropping down the sides of the map generally give you lots of stat boosts quickly as well as the secret canon that sometimes appears below the middle of the map, which sends you to the same place. Once through the canons, you're placed in an area where you can either climb up or go through a hall to get to the middle area. Generally, if you've already traveled up before, DONT. Go to the right instead, as you will find no enemies upwards. Plain and simple, just try to visit most of the map as you can, don't stick around in one place for too long.

-Find the right enemies to fight against
There are some enemies worth fighting, and others that arent. Enemies like the Metroid, Devil Car, Stalfos, Clubberskull, Mimicutie, Reaper, and Red Bulborb generally have a crap load of health, are insanely powerful, and don't even give you much of a reward for defeating. On the other hand, Giant Goombas are boss characters and give you just as much stat boots for simply JUMPING ON THEIR HEAD 3 TIMES. Other free stat boosts are the Subspace Generator, Bansai Bill, Bill Blaster, and Sneaky Spirit. For the love of god if you see a Sneaky Spirit make it your prime target because it gives you Alls, always.

-Challenge Doors
Challenge doors are kind of luck based really, you waste time because you have to go through a loading screen which kind of sucks, and then the challenge might not even be worth it or it can be too hard to accomplish. But do not fear, the hardest ones give you a lot of stat boosts which can be worth it in the end, I particularly find challenge doors to be the best at the beginning of the run, as you're slow and could use the stat boosts. Some of the hardest challenges a generally the Level 3 Survive and the Level 3 Target Test. Level 3 survive is hard because there are barrel cannons that instantly kill you and a Polar Bear the spawns and hits you up into them, the thing is is that the polar bear ALWAYS spawns in the same place every time. You know he's coming, so charge up a smash attack before he even spawns, and hit him so he doesn't have a chance to do his hop attack. If you can get rid of him, theres generally nothing else that will cause you to lose the challenge. As for Break the Targets, save one of your lazer beams or launch rings for it, as they can break the targets as well and will assist you in completing the challenge quicker.

-Treasure chests
Always Always Always go for these, they always have good things in them and you can never go wrong, well except if its a mimicutie. When the treasure hunt event comes up, its important to know that the game is simply showing you where the treasure is, they didn't appear just for the event, so if the event ends and you didn't make it to the treasure yet, it will still be there even after the event ends. A good place you can always find two treasures right next to each other is up on the top of the map, if you go to the battlefield like stage thats sitting on the ground on the right, it will sometimes lift up into the air super high, once it's gone up there, simply jump to the right off of it and you will find two treasure chests on two different platforms, ready to give you the goods, they will always be there if this happens. Also, the hidden treasure room doesn't disappear either.

-Performing actions increases your stats
Believe it or not, you can actually increase your stats abit slowly by simply doing actions.
Running or walking increases your speed stat
Jumping increases your Jump stat
Attacking increases your Attack stat
Using a Special Move increases your Special Stat
Grabbing/Throwing items increases your Throw Stat
Shielding/Rolling/Air-dodge/Sidestep increases your Defense stat.

To test this out I simply ran back and forth with Sonic and collected no stat boosts and was able to reach 500 in speed without actually having to collect anything. In the end this doesn't mean much but it should make you more aware that if you simply whiff attacks in the air when you have nothing to fight or you jump or run, you're increasing your stats, its just that extra pinch that might make your score even higher.

In the end, getting a high GSP in Smash run can really rely on luck, as a good event such as only Sneaky Spirits arriving can really give you the edge, especially if you have good timing with it. I can only imagine how good it would be if you just grabbed a x2 power-up and then the Sneaky Spirit event pops up and you're able to kill a lot of them, thats a lot of bonus.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I feel like with a really high amount of skill, using Devil's Gambit in conjunction with a favorite other boost and Super Armor could be a pretty strong strategy for killing very strong enemies (especially as Lucario, geez). This tricky part is that afterwards you gotta play with the 300% damage on you, that's the part where you would need a lot of skill to not get hit ever (or tech it).

Has anyone figured out who the best "Shocking Taunter" is? For most characters the item isn't worth the added weight, but if someone out there has a quick taunt, preferably a side taunt, it could be a pretty useful ability. You'd want to use it at the beginning, of course, before your attacks are a better use of your time.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've been noticing tons of people been getting close to 1000 on all 6 stats in Smash in Smash Run with Lucina, take that as a tip for those who want to maximize their stats.
Take a look:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Despite my fears, I've actually warmed up to this mode quite a bit. Exploring the map is really fun and just like in City Trial, it's a blast zooming all over the map with your ridiculously powered-up character.

One of my problems though is that I wish it wouldn't try to emulate City Trial in some ways. I enjoy exploring the map a lot but I can't help but get a strong feeling of disconnect between the initial part and the final confrontation. In fact, I think they could have just completely gotten rid of the final confrontation part and focused entirely on the first map.

Also, I'm still missing the ability to interact with the other players on the map... though I think it's more of a technical limitation of the 3DS than an actual design choice they made. If they wanted to emulate City Trial, I think they would have let the players meet each other on the map. Since it seems like that wasn't possible, maybe they could have just scrapped Smash Run as a multiplayer mode and just focused it as some kind of single player experience? Since the first part focuses so much on fighting against AI controlled enemies, it's hardly a multiplayer mode anyway. They really could have just made it single player.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I've been noticing tons of people been getting close to 1000 on all 6 stats in Smash in Smash Run with Lucina, take that as a tip for those who want to maximize their stats.
Take a look:
That feel when you almost have 1000 in all stats, and you're a petty 19 points away...

There might be more to this than just "play Lucina". Does she have a custom special that tears through enemies really well? Or there may some strategy that makes her excel to this extent.

She has the fastest walk speed in the game, maybe with triple "fast walker" equipment she goes megafast! There's too many possibilities.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
My Captain Falcon is really good. I will post stuff I have on him later. I have a pretty high GSP imo (I think about 1 million 600 thousand)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
When playing with friends i'm sure most of you know that giant bombs will appear when an opponent hits the big red button that spawns every now and then on their game. This can actually be used to your advantage, for example, the giant bombs will infact kill enemies and one of my best games was because the giant bombs cleared out a ton of enemies that I would never have defeated so fast, and I got so many powerups from it. I think this could really be abused if you have 4 people working together to have the bombs come at just the right time.

Also curious about that GSP for this mode, how exactly does it get higher? Obviously collecting powerups is part of it, but does collecting the wrench bags, the smash run bags, and the coins count as well? I've noticed whatever happens in the final battle doesn't really matter as I once got 21 KO's in a smash high launch battle and my GSP was the same as usual. Honestly the final battles were the weakest part of City Trial and they're the same in this game, they really should've thought of something else to try and do.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
How'd they do that?

Also, Orne can sometimes glitch your Smash Run music. I got close enough to Orne that the music faded away but I was just passing by in the air (coming down from the high platforms) so it didn't have time to play the Orne music. After that, the music never came back, even when I went near a Reaper.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It mostly takes luck.

I managed to max my stats with Charizard today after getting lucky with the placement of the point doublers, events, and enemy spawns, which got me a score of 256K

On a side note, if you want to KO enemies quickly, use the Moon Launcher ability. A 1.3x boost to anything to launches upwards is huge, and applies to several moves that deal heavy damage to things that can't stagger, such as Ness' PK Bonfire custom, DK's Hand Slap, and Charizard's Rock Smash.

Also, it should be noted that the power-up drops from enemies start to decrease in value as your stats get higher, meaning you're going to need to start beating the stronger enemies if you want to get good stat boosts after the early part of the game. On the other hand, the reverse is also true, and finding a large enemy early in a game by searching the edges of the map can give you a huge head-start if you take it out quickly using powers.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ah, I guess I need to do a build specifically for that if I want to max all stats. I've been doing the speed build for finding treasure chests quickly.

I don't know how people claim to be able to get 10 custom parts though... It seems whenever I get a great start and get 5 custom parts in the first minute or so, I just can't find almost any more for the rest of the run, no matter what enemies I kill or how many more chests I find, I can't seem to get more than 7 custom parts in a single run.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It mostly takes luck.

I managed to max my stats with Charizard today after getting lucky with the placement of the point doublers, events, and enemy spawns, which got me a score of 256K

On a side note, if you want to KO enemies quickly, use the Moon Launcher ability. A 1.3x boost to anything to launches upwards is huge, and applies to several moves that deal heavy damage to things that can't stagger, such as Ness' PK Bonfire custom, DK's Hand Slap, and Charizard's Rock Smash.

Also, it should be noted that the power-up drops from enemies start to decrease in value as your stats get higher, meaning you're going to need to start beating the stronger enemies if you want to get good stat boosts after the early part of the game. On the other hand, the reverse is also true, and finding a large enemy early in a game by searching the edges of the map can give you a huge head-start if you take it out quickly using powers.
I tried Moon Launcher, but I'm having trouble making it work for me.. It does indeed pseudostagger things with immunity to stagger, but I toss them around so much that it's harder to kill them quickly. Knocking them off penalizes the number of stats you get, which doesn't seem worth it. But maybe it is if you can move quickly enough, I dunno.

Separate note: What do you guys do with the guaranteed point doubler in the tower of cannons? Do you grab it and fastfall back to the ground floor to kill stuff for miles and miles, or do you ascend to the top of the tower and kill the enemies there?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Having played it to death on my quest to get every custom move, I'd say it's a pretty fun way to kill some time with friends. Learning the tricks to beating enemies quickly helps a lot (of course, powers make it easier, but most of my play was done without them). A bit of luck is involved, but there's still a decent amount of skill involved in taking advantage of the way the run plays out.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
You should play for score. Score increases the quality of the custom parts you do find, and you don't find that many fewer than a pure speed build because you can kill so much more stuff

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I tried Moon Launcher, but I'm having trouble making it work for me.. It does indeed pseudostagger things with immunity to stagger, but I toss them around so much that it's harder to kill them quickly. Knocking them off penalizes the number of stats you get, which doesn't seem worth it. But maybe it is if you can move quickly enough, I dunno.

Separate note: What do you guys do with the guaranteed point doubler in the tower of cannons? Do you grab it and fastfall back to the ground floor to kill stuff for miles and miles, or do you ascend to the top of the tower and kill the enemies there?
You can just knock the enemies over with an up smash, then beat on them with weaker attacks that won't make them bounce around.

As for the point doubler, I typically always go to the top of the tower, as there's a high chance of strong enemies appearing up there, even at the start of a game. If it's later in a game, though, I trigger the enemies to the right of the tower first to see if there's any large ones over there.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This mode is crazy but I really like it. It's crazy when you have a super high jump and get stuck in the ceiling for like five seconds haha. I've never maxed out any stat before though. I wonder what kind of build they're using??

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
My Captain Falcon is really good. I will post stuff I have on him later. I have a pretty high GSP imo (I think about 1 million 600 thousand)
Captain Falcon IS pretty good.

heck, i personally think he is the best character to use in smash run: he is super mobile horizontally, good enough vertically (specially if you make use of wall jumps), he is strong, he can land his powerful moves without much trouble here due to enemies being big, he can reach the lower areas quickly thanks to his fast falling speed, he can easily deal with aerial foes because U/f/D-air are all godlike in this mode, he survives well, and his range is good.

here is something i posted on gamefaqs: Smash Run Tiers Discussion

"first of all, if you don't like Smash run, Topic List is where you ought to click. this is not only for discussion, you can post your tier lists (objectively making each character inferior or superior to everyone else), or tier groups (for ex, just saying we have 3 chars in the A tier without saying who is better than who within the tier). You can discuss the overall "metagame" or other people's lists, or even in general about just some characters

So anyways, I have a tier grouping here: I analysed the characters around a "balanced" run, as in, you didn't get super lucky or unlucky with your drops, getting around 700 on all stats. i mena, nothign really stops you from getting multiple kills on a Sneaky Spirit event on the first minute and having 1000 on everything before even half the time was up, right?

I am not focusing specifically on challenge doors and the final battles since they are not only random, but they test you on aspects you need in smash run itself; so if we are assuming a character is good for the "run", they also have the tools to be good at most doors and final battles.

I am also, ignoring a divergence in equipment and powers, so we are either not using those at all or making everyone have more or less the same ones (like i do, always focusing on balance, with spinning swords and health). With that out of the way, here is what I've looked at for the characters:

*How good they are at traversing the maze, both vertically (good jumps, up-bs like Power of Flight, wall jump) and horizontally (good air speed, dash speed, good traversing specials like Spin Dash). Having a nice fall speed or an aerial like Sonic's down one also counts for quickly dropping to the lower parts of the maze...

This is important for one to quickly get across the maze for chests and to reach events and tougher areas more efficiently; as well as dealing with Survive lv 2/BtT events and climb/Run final battles.

*How good they are at dealing damage and knockback without leaving yourself too open or having to commit too much, as well seeing how easy it is to land your attacks. this is to make sure you can easily deal with enemies, Crystal Smash, most Smash final battles too.

* A character's defensive abilities: how resilient they are to being knocked away, how good they are at making it back safely, if they have counters, reflector or absorbs; and if they are able to safely take out enemies at a range. this helps with, i dunno, not dying? dying is bad. it has the lowest impact but it also impacts in almost everything...

Well,i have made 5 tiers: S (Great), A (good), B (average), C (lacking) and D (just plain bad), and here we have it! Just remember that for this one,all characters on each tier are "equals". They really aren't but trying to do it is just too troublesome, so they are in the order we seen then in the CSS... here it is:

S::4yoshi::4bowserjr::4metaknight::4falcon::4shulk::4sonic:

A::4bowser::4wario2::4diddy::4sheik::4zss::4pit::4marth::4kirby::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4olimar::4darkpit::4pacman:

B::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4dk::4tlink::4myfriends::4robinm::4littlemac::4falco::4rob::4villager::4lucina:

C::4gaw::4link::4ganondorf::4samus::4dedede::4duckhunt::4olimar::4wiifit::4drmario:

D:
:rosalina::4zelda::4palutena::4megaman:

I can explain my reasoning for all of them, if you have doubts ask me. expect the :4mii:, i did play with :4miibrawl: but i barely remember it, and :4miigun: :4miisword: i haven't touched. from what i know, i'd guess B tier for all of them but eh"

i forgot to mention i am not accounting for custom moves, here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
There's so much wrong with that list to me that I'm not even going bother explaining it all.

But for starters, after having played the mode well over a hundred times, I can say that damage output is easily the most important factor, as you typically spend far more time fighting enemies then anything else. That said, Meta-Knight and Sonic are not A tier, as they have some of the lowest damage output out of the entire cast.

Being able to get around quickly doesn't matter if it takes you way longer to complete challenges and defeat large enemies. Also, even if you're using a slow character, you can still win the race events regularly as long you're not so unlucky as to get matched up against a speedy character who's further augmented by speed boosting gear.

Last edited:

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Lil Mac with following equipment

Critical hit badge
Strongest attack equipment
Second strongest attack equipment

Powers
As many strong punches as you can + LV4 recovery.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's really no point of a tier system, as even the strongest fighters will have a tough time taking out a Darknut or Bonkers without Smash Run powers. Likewise, Clubberskull is way too dangerous to be fighting without attack buffs as well. It basically comes down to luck with the power-ups that you acquire, along with what final event you're given.

Anyway, on another subject, I now have over 300 custom specials. It seems that you're not always guaranteed to get specific custom specials all the time. In fact, I actually got a Mr. Game & Watch custom special, even though he was not involved in the Smash Run match that I got it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Take a look:
No way!!! How is that possible!?!?!

I am addicted to Smash Run and I love collecting stat boosts... but my stats usually range between 200-600... rarely are they under 200 or over 600.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nooooooo-ho-ho-hooooooo...

I don't believe that's correct.

(Not that a tier list for this mode is really needed.)

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm really excited to see what Megaman is capable of in Smash run with the right equipment. He can pew pew so fast in the air and on the ground, I just need some good attacking equipment to make that put out lots of damage and he'll be able to run all over the place and kill 3 enemies per fullhop by putting a pellet in each one.

Yeah the tier list looks pretty terrible. Olimar is not one of the best in smash run if you're good at smash run at all, you should start running so fast halfway through the run that your pikmin can't catch up and you can't use your smashes, aerials, or specials.

To compensate I plan to make an item build for him with Battering item+ and the spawn ore club power.

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Not sure how impressive it is anymore but after a few rounds I'm at about 1.8M GSP as C.Falc.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Question because I'm an idiot and didn't anticipate it would come up until it was too late: I'm trying to get the Challenge for completing Smash Run with all characters. I know I didn't win with one character before I realized there was a Challenge, but didn't bother going and trying again. Is there a way to figure out which character it was, or will my life become a tedium of guess-and-check?

That instant death skull thing haunts me in my sleep
ALSO I HATE THAT THING

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That instant death skull thing haunts me in my sleep
If you mean the Orne, you do get a huge warning of its presence when the BGM changes. However, in terms of the Survive! challenge where you have to avoid it, some fighters have it very rough to survive the whole 20 seconds.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
If you mean the Orne, you do get a huge warning of its presence when the BGM changes. However, in terms of the Survive! challenge where you have to avoid it, some fighters have it very rough to survive the whole 20 seconds.
Reasons why I should consider playing with headphones...

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Question because I'm an idiot and didn't anticipate it would come up until it was too late: I'm trying to get the Challenge for completing Smash Run with all characters. I know I didn't win with one character before I realized there was a Challenge, but didn't bother going and trying again. Is there a way to figure out which character it was, or will my life become a tedium of guess-and-check?

ALSO I HATE THAT THING
is there some way to chec through your score maybe? Otherwise, I have not clue. Maybe on your fighter statistics.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

ALSO I HATE THAT THING
Check Vault > Records > Fighter Records > Smash Run > Wins. And see which characters have zero wins.

Last edited:

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Check Vault > Records > Fighter Records > Smash Run > Wins. And see which characters have zero wins.
Thanks! I wound up guessing based on lower high scores and figured it out (it was Duck Hunt), but this is good to know! I always forget about the stuff in the Vault.

Top Bottom