• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Smash Player Database": A Kojin/ Sonic Boards project

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva

Hello guys. It's been a long while, but I'm back. I've graduated from college, and while that means a lot of obvious things, like time to pay off loans and stuff, it apparently doesn't stop me from wanting to hang at this community. I do plan to get back in the local tourney scene at least, and once i get my financial life right, I'll be able to do more. But enough of that, lets get to the reason I decided to make this thread.

GOALS

I am in the process of starting a project that could potentially change the way this game is played competitively. What am I trying to do?

The goal is to create a free, comprehensive, easy to use database/guide of the top players in competitive Smash, and from various sources create a program that can, for any player, at any venue, look up relevant data on top players, their characters, and other information that will assist the player in making well informed decision making before, in between, and during matches.

By doing this, the idea is to allow the player to have a legitimate guide that allows them to not only better understand the match up, but even better, to better prepare against a particular player, and give them a better chance at successfully countering and using the right strategy as the each individual game progresses. By doing this, we now can develop the strategy portion of the game to more legitimate levels.

WHY BOTHER?
Have you ever went into a match worried that you didn't know the matchup, and asked a player who may have been better at it, but in the end either the info didn't help or you couldn't fully grasp the info in the short time you had before the match? Have you ever considered yourself very knowledgeable in a certain matchup, only to meet a player using that character but so caught off gaurd by his or her playstyle, that your "knowledge" became less useful or almost useless?

In today's game, when it comes learning matchups now, is that for every character, you cannot simply expect to go by a general idea of the matchup to "get it." You'd have to, in a perfect world, get the chance to play the many variations of how to play 35 characters. is that going to happen? no way. You have to deal with what your region plays first and foremost, and if they don't play Yoshi, you obviously will not spend the time to learn that matchup. On the other hand you can learn the metaknight matchup all you want, but if you have to deal with 10 strong players in your region who all play differently, you are asking a lot on your brain to remember off the top of your head every one of those players styles, just for the possibility of playing them. This takes times understanding the counterpick system, and takes time away from learning other matchups and player tendancies as well.

There are so many good players playing so many of the characters, the chances you will get beaten not only because you "lol didn't know the matchup," but because you didn't understand how the player was playing X character and pick up on his tendancies in time you become more disadvantaged than you realize.

There are people who can do all this mind you, but most likely, you are not one of them. What this project wants to do is give the player the right information, right at their fingertips, so they can better understand their situation in the bracket at all times, and prepare better.

WHAT THIS PROJECT WILL AND WONT DO
this is intended hopefully for the benefit of the high level player to increase their abilities in competitive Brawl more, in other words, supplement thier ability. This will not be a surefire "how to beat everybody no matter what" guide. There is no way to account for many things like random events at X:XX, or the fact that the player has a brain, and will obviouly adjust multiple times in a match. the guide is just that, a guide. What I hope to see from this is that an already good/great player, takes this guide, and uses the information to get to that next step that he/she seems to just be out of reach. If done right, this will make the great players even better.

BUT KOJIN, ISN'T COACHING WRONG?

This is not really coaching. Also, if you were to attend an event that follows under the new recommended rules by our SBR, it is not necessarily prohibited, although it may be frowned on by individuals. In addition, This doesn't require that you have a person holding your laptop barking orders at you mid match, but I'll get to that later (LOL). Lastly, people are going to be screaming, yelling, and the venue overall is going to loud anyway. So you can and probably will hear the people behind you telling you to do this and that, and no one can really stop that, can they? I mean, other than you ignoring them.

TESTING THE S.P.D.

Once the project is completed, the next major step is to test it out at actual events featuring the top players. SonicMaster5 aka Speed has already agreed to doing this, and because of that, we as the Sonic boards will tailor this version towards Sonic (steak.) and see how much this helps out Speed as a player. This will in turn give us the data we need to prove the usefulness of the SPD.

WHAT WILL THE SPD v1.0 CONTAIN?

To start:
1: The top 100-110 players. I was going to make it 100, but so that Speed can use this in local tourneys in MD/VA, we will leave those spots open for strong players in that region that for whatever reason, didn't make the top 100. Kid Goggles sent me the link to the smashboards thread with the top players there already tho.

2: The player's main, secondary, and other character choices. We'll try to aim for using icons of the characters, and by clicking, or following a link, etc.. they get information on the general character matchup, including counterpicks you should normally use and which stages to stay away from if possible. Then we go deeper by having people analyze the players most common tactics, and tendencies. what makes Player A different from Player B, even though they main the same character? This will probably be the most difficult part to write up.

3: Thier most common counterpick stage(s) .This will allow the player to better use his stage strikes and bans

4: Links to a small portion of matches involving that player, within the last 6 months to a year, with emphasis on the most recent, giving the player an idea of how the player have evolved or gotten worse in recent events.

WHAT NEEDS TO GET DONE

Any help is appreciated, but in order for this to work we need to pool together and contribute. I can't do this on my own, and I am frantically searching for information on programming software, tutorials, etc because even though I am a graphic artist and can plan things i dont have the programming ability at all. Lucky for use most of the information needed is online, and either on smashboards or on Youtube, which is perfect. I need:

1: People to organize data on Sonic's matchups, ALL OF THEM. You will be in charge of taking data that is already out, and in essence create a short essay that clearly and correctly explains the matchup. use what we have hear for info. If you need to add more to it, just make sure it's as right as you can get it.

2: We need people to look for videos of the top 100 players and save the links in order to have about 10 recent tourney vids of each player. serious freindlies count. Try to keep it as early as possible, which should be as easy as using the search options on youtube to show the most recent uploads. granted for some players you can't get 10, just do what you can.

3: If you know anyone willing to lend a hand in creating the program that will take this data and create a easy to use database from it, that would be wonderful. We need this to be as easy to use as possble, any any ideas how to put the info together would be appreciated as well.

What if you can't do any of this but have an awesome idea that you think can help? post it. want to spread word in hopes someone else can see this and help out? Found a tutorial that could make things easier? Not a Sonic main? it doesn't matter, anything thing you can do is gonna help out. This project is gonna take a while, but the more people who help the better.

Contact me via
Skype, Youtube, AIM : KojinSagara
gmail: kojinsagara@gmail.com

Thank you guys for the help. I'm new at this too, but I think with your help this will really take off.

Click here to find out the top players and their rank
to help make it easier to figure out who you want to look at matches for. top 100 to start plz.

JOBS: (?) means that I'm not sure: just confirm it for me.

Kinzer: Matchup Writeups (More help needed to make it easier for him)

Video Searchers (as for as I know): Sonic-Rave , Excel, Espy(?, Kojin, KID Goggles(?)

Others: Bionic (possible design/ programming?)

Life

Smash Hero
Huge project, will be very useful. Once complete I'll see what I can do about using it--my first tournament's coming up in December (or it could end up as my second, not gonna get into that), dunno if this'll be complete by then but I'll see if it can help me out.

Can't wait to see this!

Sonic-Rave

Smash Journeyman
I'll gather videos of BigLou and Reflex. I'll be seeing them both this Saturday at a tourney so I can talk to them about this and get some recent material.

:nifty:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Id rather you not post here because then its going to get even more difficult to sort through. For the links to top players, PM me, and put in the subject " vids of _____" and have the links lined up and everything. that should make it as easy as possible. the second this get cluttered the harder it will be to make it happen.

Make sure once you decide the player you will gather links for and gathered them up, post the name of the player whose links you went to get so i can record them in the OP. that way everyone knows.

So basically if you want to do something, Post it here first about what it is you will do, so no one is doing the same thing.

I'm going to be trying to sketch up the possible designs this week, so a programmer could maybe see examples of what the interface could be like. KIDGoggles, thx for the link to the list.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
this post will be for assigning any jobs or for who volunteered for what, basically. I'll type the info later as people become aware and commit to a few things...

Aposl

Smash Ace
interesting, so this will basically help people see how top players play? sounds like an enormous undertaking but would be cool to see if this turns out well. Dont think I can help, but definitely will use! XD

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Ah. good read...too see if this is really effective, maybe more people should gett involved?

The rankings chart...MLG gives you aloooot of points. I bet by the next update, Espy will be the highest ranked Sonic followed by me because of DC.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I'll test this out along with speed I suppose. I always get seeded horribly (which isn't a surprise seeing as I'm not really known by my region) and wind up playing top players such as ninja1ink or ayy dee aych dee early on :/ I recently started observing player habits of people I lost to/ have mms planned against more closely, and this would be easier than scouring youtube for recent videos.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
2 things i must note.

KIDGoggles. KID is in all caps, please and thank you.

I think this is why there was a stretch of time where m2k didnt want any vids of him recorded, cus people would catch on to his tricks and playstyle and such.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
before we talk about testing lets get some of the research done lol. it will be better if more people tested it though. KID, could you please handle the write ups for the general matchup decriptions for Sonic? If you need help, you can ask people for assistance to split the work ( I may ask Espy as well), i dont care as long as they are knowledgeable.

Also, I didn't mention this in the OP, but when this project is completed, I plan to test the effects that the combination of a "coach" and this program may have in an event(s) as this will give me more information if I am present at the event. It will be me helping out Speed in this case. I wanted to say that so that there is no confusion for potential TO's as to what I will be doing, and just in case I plan to always let the T.O. my intentions so that I can collect data without a potential issue, even though I'm not going to be doing anything wrong anyways..

10/21/2010:
Im in the process of designing ideas for how this will look visually, and see if Bionic can help in any way. The logo for the project is basically what you see in the OP, which took me about 5 minutes. It can change later, but that would be after things get rolling along well. I've had the list of top players for about 4 days now, and had started looking for solutions in Microsoft Excel, but I want to avoid a dull looking "text and column presentation" as much as I can, so I'm probably going to need some help from another person. Also considering the possibility of promoting this through a YouTube video.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Actually, you think it'd be possible to actually split up the work based on players?

Count

Smash Champion
Let's see we have Bloo R0gue, Shoego, Khel, Infrn Angls, YBM , H!lt, Kristedez, Kount and Renegde. Gotta keep the namesearching down.

If you need me to I shall scour youtube for videos of them.
You can't namesearch "count" anyway. Think about it. I'm just a pro lurker <3

This is a really good idea if I had any time I'd do this for DIDDEH KONG

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Kinzer has volunteered to do general matchup writeups. Anyone who is willing to help and knows they can do a good job, contact Kinzer so you can discuss who does what.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
as far as im concerned if anybody decides to do a write up on a matchup, and its not as intracate and detailed as the one I did for Ike last night, dont bother imo.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
word? im down wit that name, tho it kinda sounds like something else, so i may may be more cautious about it than usual.

Also, anyone who is good at design in general, feel free to draft up possible ideas of the layout of this application. the sooner we can finalize it the sooner some one can program the bones of it

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
No Knizer... I wouldn't even know how to pronounce it...

Regardless, I'm probably going to do an update on Mario. The only thing I'm unsure of is the matchup verdict. People back in the day said it was 55:45 in favor of Mario. I doubt that holds any merit to this day. I'm uncertain of how much has changed though, and I don't think it'd be accurate to say 6:4 in favor of Sonic. I'd probably settle for 55:45 in favor of Sonic or an even matchup. What do others think?

I know not too many people get to play against Mario too often, but still, for the sake of wholeness I would like to do a complete revamp.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
this matchup is even, im positive of it, or maybe slightly in sonics favor if i was being biased. just go with advantage/ disadvantage over numbers if it helps.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I could agree with exactly even. I can't think of any single major factor that'd turn the matchup in one or the other's favor. Neither have an insane amount of killpower, neither have any sort of character-specific special techniques that they can perform on each other, etc. Only thing that'd possibly give sonic and upper hand is him forcing mario to play a dangerous game of tag while mario is behind.

infomon

Smash Scientist
hmmmmm

this seems like a lot of work for what might amount to only a marginal improvement over:
- the "top characters" list linked to in the OP
- youtube'ing their vids to get a feel for playstyle
- knowing your matchups

It's still a neat project, but I don't have any time to get involved, sowwee.

infomon

Smash Scientist
hmmm, yeah the more I think about it the more it seems like a nice project.

soo, mad props to however far this ends up going.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I need someone who would be willing to help with making the program. I am seriously considering, just for time sake, to make it using a website template or something similar, at least for now, So I can have something by the end of the year. Me trying to learn programming will make it take too long.

Top Bottom