• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASH FOR FUN 2 - Blainville, Qc - October 20 (Pools up)

WarranThad

Smash Ace
yay, finally get to play bam in singles.
maybe revenge against test... or zelda mirror >_>.

redlink9

Smash Rookie
hey guys, im new to this forum but im gonna come to the tourney with a friend (Dr. Funkenstein). we've both been playing melee for a while and want to check out the competition, we're gonna play in both the singles and doubles tournaments and we'd like to get a low tier tournament going if possible.

Vwins

Smash Ace
hey guys, im new to this forum but im gonna come to the tourney with a friend (Dr. Funkenstein). we've both been playing melee for a while and want to check out the competition, we're gonna play in both the singles and doubles tournaments and we'd like to get a low tier tournament going if possible.
cool Its nice to see some new guys who are coming to the tournaments. Where are you from? Can you bring TV's or cubes?

redlink9

Smash Rookie
we're from Montreal. I dont think we'll be able to bring TV's or cubes but ill let you know if i can. How exactly does the tourney work? i couldnt find it on the main page

ThatGuy

Smash Master
The schedule and ruleset is on the first page. Basically, we all get divided up into 4 pools. We have to play every person in our pool in a best of 3, and record the results of each match. The 4 people in each pool with the best overall records advance to the final bracket.

We then commence the double elimination bracket. You play opponents in best of 3 sets. If you win, you move up a spot; if you lose, you get sent to the loser's bracket. In the loser's bracket, you continue advancing in the same manner. However, if you lose, you're knocked out of the tournament and are forced to watch others/play friendly matches if it doesn't impede the tournament. If you make it to the end of the loser's bracket, you have to face the finalist of the winner's bracket. The winner only needs to win 1 set to win the tournament, whereas the loser has to win 2 (if the loser wins the first set, then the winner gets sent to the loser's bracket where they then play final set, etc.).

Teams are the same except we only use a bracket because of the smaller amount of teams.

Hope this clarifies things.

redlink9

Smash Rookie
i like the tournament set up but i have a question. is your record counted as just 1 win if you win a best of 3 or is it the record from the set that is counted. lets say i beat someone 2-1, is my record 1-0 or 2-1 after the match?? i hope thats somewhat understandable

also, the double elimination is cool but i think it would be more interesting if the top 2 players from each pool would advance. it would make it more interesting for everyone and wouldnt basically eliminate you if you lose your first couple of matches in the round robin. i dunno if you guys always do the tournies the same way but you should consider it.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
in the pool it's gonna be 1-0, in brackets it's not working that way. You win the set, you advance closer to the finals, the end. And for that top 2 players thing, let's just say that there'll be nobody for brackets if it was that way. Plus, it'd take no time to actually do all of the tournament, so let's just stick with standard. :D (hope I didn't say anything wrong)

redlink9

Smash Rookie
DarkISDA, i dont think you understand what im trying to say. i think each pool of 8 or however many players should have 2 players advancing to the double elimination instead of 1. that way you would have more people in the double elimination and would make the tourney longer, not shorter.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
DarkISDA, i dont think you understand what im trying to say. i think each pool of 8 or however many players should have 2 players advancing to the double elimination instead of 1. that way you would have more people in the double elimination and would make the tourney longer, not shorter.
Oh I see now, I think. Sorry. Well actually there's 4 people advancing, top 4 of EACH pool. So you see, there'll be 16 people that will go in brackets.

redlink9

Smash Rookie
oh ok, i misunderstood the original post from ThatGuy, sorry. i thought he meant only the winner of each pool would advance, that makes more sense. 16 people advancing is fine.

Vwins

Smash Ace
i like the tournament set up but i have a question. is your record counted as just 1 win if you win a best of 3 or is it the record from the set that is counted. lets say i beat someone 2-1, is my record 1-0 or 2-1 after the match?? i hope thats somewhat understandable

also, the double elimination is cool but i think it would be more interesting if the top 2 players from each pool would advance. it would make it more interesting for everyone and wouldnt basically eliminate you if you lose your first couple of matches in the round robin. i dunno if you guys always do the tournies the same way but you should consider it.
Your record on the pool sheet will be 2-1 because the top 4 of the pools are the players with the most matches victories. If you lost a set 1-2 the match that you won can still make a difference in the ranking of the pool. top 4 advance to the bracket.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
None of you Rick, because Marco is Jagg, and he's really good. :chuckle:
Go****it were all screwed then!!!

*presses the john button*

I guess I will have to play at 100% power then... I'm very good when I play at full power, ask Kage ;)

Problem is that it consumes a huge amount of energy and it only lasts 1 min... I really need to learn to control my power

Vwins

Smash Ace
Sign Marco and me for teams plz...... team name: 'Republic of STFU'
I registered you in single too if you only want to play teams I'll remove you.

Bigrick PR players are suppose to be the best player. If you want I can reformulate my sentance. We have a number impair of players who are better than the average so you can perfectly balance the pools.

Top Bottom