• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

DonaldDuck

Smash Rookie
The kickstarter failed because we did not have awesome artists like we do now, so nobody could see potential in the game. Also we didn't promote it enough. But yes, the game is alive and well as InnerMobius stated. I'll add you to the alpha test soon :)
Do you need help with any GFX design? I've worked on a GFX for a group game development like this before. Mainly doing pixel art. :p

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Well, whatever pixel art you'd deem good enough for joining the team I suppose haha

DonaldDuck

Smash Rookie
Eh, don't really have anything that displays amazing GFX skills...Here's a quick goldfish I made in 5 minutes. Welp.
< He's Tiny :D
P.S. Probably not going to do much except test the game. I have to get to work on my own game. Double Welp.

Last edited:

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
lol well if you're talking more about menu design talk to @ jdawg99 jdawg99

EDIT: It seems we got approval from Joseph Blanchette(Potentially) so I'm going to be juggling 2 characters.

To anyone who isn't familiar with Legendary Frog's work:

Waiting to hear back on which design he prefers, the new(left) or old(right). I prefer the old design personally.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Do any of you guys like the Prop Hunt character? I feel like that he could be a really unique assist, as most characters in the game have moves inspired by Smash Bros.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
lol well if you're talking more about menu design talk to @ jdawg99 jdawg99

EDIT: It seems we got approval from Joseph Blanchette(Potentially) so I'm going to be juggling 2 characters.

To anyone who isn't familiar with Legendary Frog's work:

Waiting to hear back on which design he prefers, the new(left) or old(right). I prefer the old design personally.
Amazing. Super excited for this character. I like the old one better except for the eyes.

I like the little newcomer touch. We might want to have a promo video which has characters come in with it saying newcomer underneath it. Btw, we might need to find someone who can animated a teaser trailer.

Eh, don't really have anything that displays amazing GFX skills...Here's a quick goldfish I made in 5 minutes. Welp.
< He's Tiny :D
P.S. Probably not going to do much except test the game. I have to get to work on my own game. Double Welp.
You can help out with some small things if you'd like. Maybe some items? If you have anything else to show us post it up btw.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Just because I got bored. He's my crummy version of our lineup.

characters.png

If these all make it we will have one heck of a game. :D

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Amazing. Super excited for this character. I like the old one better except for the eyes.

I like the little newcomer touch. We might want to have a promo video which has characters come in with it saying newcomer underneath it. Btw, we might need to find someone who can animated a teaser trailer.
That's part of his design, I can't change the eyes. LF himself preferred that look too, so we're all on the same page there.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I played the alpha today... was having some weird issues. Seems like the touch detection for the A and the jump buttons overlap so I ended up hitting both at the same time when I didn't mean to.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I played the alpha today... was having some weird issues. Seems like the touch detection for the A and the jump buttons overlap so I ended up hitting both at the same time when I didn't mean to.
Yeah I still have to fix that one. I removed the jump button, but I might be putting it back in.

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Do any of you guys like the Prop Hunt character? I feel like that he could be a really unique assist, as most characters in the game have moves inspired by Smash Bros.
Yeah, I like that idea, he could really spice things up in the heat of battle!!

Alright, here's Mr. Randoms side special, the bucktooth bazooka. Mr. Randoms fires his bucktooth out of his mouth like a missile. While the missile is fired, Mr. Randoms will be stuck in place until the missile hits somebody or it travels a certain distance and falls (and when it hits the ground, it'll disappear, perhaps it could be use as an item that somebody can pick up when it reaches the ground?). The bucktooth could transform into a missile, or it could stay the same, so I made two versions and made a transformation from bucktooth to missile. When the missile hits somebody, it'll explode with a little message, like boom, LOL, or a Mr. Randoms design (this could be used for the random bomb as well). The explosion could last for one loop, which is just 3 frames of animation (would more be needed, or is that alright). Mr. Randoms head is supposed to be crazy and random looking, even the part where his head disconnects with his body (fits his nature, cause it's his name, even the Mr. part :0), made it based on Pac-Man a little bit.

Mr. Randoms firing his bucktooth and being in that "stuck stance, can't move for reasons" movement.

Bucktooth growing back and returning to normal stance.

The bucktooth and the missile/rocket.

Bucktooth to missile/rocket transformation.

Bucktooth/Missile falling (even put a version with that anime tear drop).

The cartoon explosion.

Other versions of the cartoon explosions.

I also added in a size comparison of the bucktooth/missile with Mr. Randoms

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I like that idea, he could really spice things up in the heat of battle!!

Alright, here's Mr. Randoms side special, the bucktooth bazooka. Mr. Randoms fires his bucktooth out of his mouth like a missile. While the missile is fired, Mr. Randoms will be stuck in place until the missile hits somebody or it travels a certain distance and falls (and when it hits the ground, it'll disappear, perhaps it could be use as an item that somebody can pick up when it reaches the ground?). The bucktooth could transform into a missile, or it could stay the same, so I made two versions and made a transformation from bucktooth to missile. When the missile hits somebody, it'll explode with a little message, like boom, LOL, or a Mr. Randoms design (this could be used for the random bomb as well). The explosion could last for one loop, which is just 3 frames of animation (would more be needed, or is that alright). Mr. Randoms head is supposed to be crazy and random looking, even the part where his head disconnects with his body (fits his nature, cause it's his name, even the Mr. part :0), made it based on Pac-Man a little bit.

Mr. Randoms firing his bucktooth and being in that "stuck stance, can't move for reasons" movement.

Bucktooth growing back and returning to normal stance.

The bucktooth and the missile/rocket.

Bucktooth to missile/rocket transformation.

Bucktooth/Missile falling (even put a version with that anime tear drop).

The cartoon explosion.

Other versions of the cartoon explosion.
That's awesome! I love the cartoon explosion text. And the idea of the tooth becoming a missile is so random. Nicely done.

So will you be able to control this missile? Or will is just goes straight across the screen.

Also what determines if it is a tooth or a missile?

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Thanks. For controlling the missile, that could be a possibly, but could it be controlled well with a touch screen? As for what determines the tooth or missile, I was just putting out both ideas, but since you like the missile, if could just be the missile that the tooth transforms into :)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I think you would just use the joystick inputs.
Right -> rotate clockwise
Left -> rotate counterclockwise

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Ah, now I see. In that case, it could be possible for the missile to turn clockwise and counterclockwise while being fired.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Exams will be done a week from tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT TO GO FULL SPEED IN SMASH CLASH DEVELOPMENT!

Anyways, I've been studying for my calculus exam, and started thinking about the physics of this game.

Here's some things to consider adding for those hardcore players. While I do not fully understand those, I'm willing to figure these out to make Smash Clash friendly to the competitive crowd.
- Wavedashing
- DACUS
- dodge/air dodge/roll
- Crouch Cancelling
- Dashdancing
- L-Cancel
- DI
- Tweaking momentum retention for certain things
- Hitstun canceling
- Making launching trajectories just right
- Quick reaction out of roll and dodges

If I've forgotten anything tell me. I'm no where near a competitive player, but if you know someone competitive, invite them to help us out here.

Last thing to add, we need to start considering if we want to do a kickstarter and how it would be executed. Here's a few things we need funding for.
- Appstore fees
- Advertising (lots and lots of advertising I'm guessing)
- Cost for enterprise version of Corona SDK (needed for Kamcord integration which allows players to share replays of matches on facebook, twitter, etc.)

I haven't thought through anything else we'd need. But as we are all probably broke, we definitely need the money for the things above.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
- Wavedashing
- DACUS
- dodge/air dodge/roll
- Crouch Cancelling
- Dashdancing
- L-Cancel
- DI
- Tweaking momentum retention for certain things
- Hitstun canceling
- Making launching trajectories just right
- Quick reaction out of roll and dodges
- Shielding
- Grabbing
- Shield breaking

If I've forgotten anything tell me. I'm no where near a competitive player, but if you know someone competitive, invite them to help us out here.
In bold :)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Done with exams! Working on Smash Clash so much more now so expect to see some stuff coming out soon :)

Anyone else have news with their animations?

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Here's Mr. Randoms down special counter move "With a toothbrush!". Mr. Randoms extends his arms to the floor, and while he's doing that, a toothbrush appears out of nowhere and brushes his giant buck-tooth. If Mr. Randoms is hit during the process, then he'll be hit, turn inverted real quick, and counter with an objection styled yelling bubble. He could say "With a toothbrush!" or say some other things, like "SWELLTASIC!" or "OH YEAH!". If Mr. Randoms is not hit, and he's done brushing, then he and his buck-tooth will make their eyes pop out for a bit, and then it returns to normal.

: Mr. Randoms extended his arms to the ground, and then back up (toothbrush not added in)

: The toothbrush appears!

: BRUSH! BRUSH! BRUSH!

: When the brushing stops, this happens for a short while. Mr. Randoms would be open to attack :0

Hit Mr. Randoms while he's brushing, and he'll counter whoever hit him!

: Other versions of the objection styled bubble!

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Also, good job at smashing the exams ;3

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms Nice work! Definitely going to be a fun character. Can't wait to program him!

Okay as for technical stuff, I've been working during my classes at school (which are now done, but you know how highschool is....)
- A basic shield can be used. You slide down on the jump button and hold to activate it. It shrinks until it disappears. You also have to recharge it by not using it.
- DI (directional influence) works a bit better. Still don't know exactly how it works.
- L-Canceling works for when you hit the ground to stop attack animations and landing animations.

This was done in 2 DAYS! The beauty of having time.

More to come soon :) Keep up the hard work guys.

Edit
I forgot to tell you a few others....
- momentum tweaks
- short jumps
- AI's also use all these techniques (except for short jumps...not sure what to have them do with that)

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Is it me, or does some people tend to not be here as often for awhile and then come back while other people tend to not be here and it just repeats. lol

Anywho, my exams should be coming up shortly in a couple weeks and my sis is in labor and has been for 8 days. Her baby should come tomorrow. :) I'll try to come here often as I can but I'm just giving a heads up.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah sometimes I wonder if people are gone for good, then they come back. Good luck with exams! I'll be praying everything goes well with your sister's baby too. :)

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Well for me, we are packing our things now, cause we are moving (don't even have a coach to play games now). So I guess things are just......happening! :bluejump:

Here's Mr. Randoms up normal, which I based off Mr. Game & Watch's up normal. When he's charging up, his head shrinks, and when he unleashes the attack, then it grows bigger.

(Though this makes him look like he's dancing =w=)

@ UltimateXsniper UltimateXsniper Hope everything goes find and swell for the baby!

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms Do you think you could send me a zip file with all of his animations. I need each frame to be a separate png image. I'm ready to move on to programming another character ;)

As for the shield...I'm considering not including in the game. It's kind of hard to use on a mobile device.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
New controls scheme. You can't miss a button. Really great!

smash_clash_new_controls.png

You have to actually play with it to feel the difference. Basically it isn't glitchy, and it isn't code I wrote two years ago (like the one from before).

It's also very responsive and the "hitboxes" are very big (they cover the whole screen) so your fat thumbs can't miss them.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Okay, I guess I missed my "Early May" Target but I finished LJM's normal attacks. I have no excuse but I'll definitely get this one done.

Down+B:

Neutral+B:

Side+B:

All I have left is his specials and I'm done. Sorry again for the absence but like I said I will try to get him done quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom