• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Oh ok, so I downloaded the game, & it barely runs on my computer. But what I've played of it..... The knock-back is crap.
If you are running it through bluestacks, chances are it's running at a low frame rate which makes the knockback suck...on top of the fact that it isn't that great in the first place. Here's some better sprites which aren't messed up. I believe the one I sent you was 4x the size.
http://www.filedropper.com/allframes

optimuskirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0746-7459
Hm, ait, thanks. But I'm working on a game that is taking a LOT out of me, & I'm hoping that it's good, But right now I'm making a small demo to make sure my efforts aren't fruitless. So I won't work on sprites right away. I'll try to do both.
But to make sure I don't make the wrong-sized sprite: is this good?

Last edited:

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Hm, ait, thanks. But I'm working on a game that is taking a LOT out of me, & I'm hoping that it's good, But right now I'm making a small demo to make sure my efforts aren't fruitless. So I won't work on sprites right away. I'll try to do both.
But to make sure I don't make the wrong-sized sprite: is this good?
That's perfect! Nice work!

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Ok I know I am really behind on the update, but I am just so busy lately with figuring out internships applications and such. Good news is, Zigguart is pretty much finished. While I personally don't like the character, I'm sure some of you will! (He's not my style).

Besides that, I'm sure some of you have noticed, but I publish a mini game to the app store. It's called Dubstep Bird! Check it out here if you want to see Flappy Bird with Dubstep! xD http://goo.gl/7pW6U5

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Geez it feels like it has been awhile. So how is everything going with the game? Any updates coming soon?

optimuskirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0746-7459
For me, no. Sorry everyone, I've just been so caught up with mah own stuff.

Last edited:

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
You mean online?
Yep :)

Right now I'm
- Finishing Zig
- Adding 12 new event match levels
- Finishing free version for iOS
- Creating online multiplayer
- Balancing some characters for the sake of multiplayer

And applying for Summer internships and taking classes. It might be awhile. I'm going to completely revamp the way the free version works too. Not sure how exactly yet, but I'm going to wait on iOS until I finish it up. I'm thinking about including the whole game (or most of it), with ads in it.

optimuskirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0746-7459
Hey, Flappy bird too like, 2 seconds to make, is free, has ads, & now the guy is like, a millionare.

Last edited:

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
If you guys are wondering about multiplayer, I'm doing it right this time. I bought a sever through Digital Ocean and have made my own match making system. By the looks of it, it may be just as fast as local multiplayer...

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Considering to start another project by the name of Super Smash Clash 2...any thoughts? :joyful:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I would be up for a sequel actually. A sequel could give us opportunities that we once thought about like an adventure or story mode. Of course we would need more characters because it's a sequel. (That reminds me, what happened to that one guy that was working with some guy that would be played like Marth?) I would be hype for a sequel.
Although we still got to get Zig, Party Box, Bouncer, Online, and Balancing.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
I would be up for a sequel actually. A sequel could give us opportunities that we once thought about like an adventure or story mode. Of course we would need more characters because it's a sequel. (That reminds me, what happened to that one guy that was working with some guy that would be played like Marth?) I would be hype for a sequel.
Although we still got to get Zig, Party Box, Bouncer, Online, and Balancing.
Most definitely. He disappeared btw sadly.

Here's the problem. I am a 20 times better coder than I was 2 years ago when I started this project. I hate working with this old code...while I am still going to finish the update, I keep finding myself wanting to start from scratch and do this right.

I could make it support 8 players, animated background, true online multiplayer that works well, have better smash-like physics etc. Is it just me, or is the currently game too glitchy? I am looking for a fresh start.

Not to mention I now can do in app purchases. So the paid and free version could just be one app which makes things easier.

When I code it right this time I can leave you guys to be more creative (some of the attacks/items you all request are almost impossible given the infrastructure I had set up). I could do final smashes extremely easily for example where the stage moves away and a cut scene plays.

Do you see what I'm saying?

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Not the mention that the game has had over 100,000 downloads...with 15,000 people who currently have it installed. We could get a large beta testing group and survey what they want improved, make sure they are satisfied and when we launch we will most definitely go to the top charts if not #1 :)

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Smash Clash 2 would definitely need a large dev team and a bigger budget. Similar to how Smash Bros is a big tribute to console games from the big companies, Smash Clash could act as a big tribute to mobile games from the tiny companies. You could possibly get the rights to use characters from other popular mobile games, and have them fight against the Smash Clash original veterans.

Perhaps you guys could create character bios for each brighter in the game as Unlockable extras that could explain why such a diverse range of fighters are in one place,

So yeah, here are my ideas for character bios:
Flare - He serves under Queenie Linguine and leads her armies in a war against the dark queen character that someone here created a while ago, who rules over another Kingdom. Flare was summoned by the Smash Clash Corporation across time and space to fight in their Super Smash Clash royal rumble tournament.

Mister Randoms - A being from another dimension which makes no sense and lacks colour. He is transported to the Smash dimension which is ruled over by the Smash Clash Corporation and they convince him to fight in their tournament.

Crash - A crash test dummy brought to life by a drunken wizard. Crash starts to gain a conscience and a personality of his own, and once saved Flare's life during Queenie Linguine's war. The two became friends and sparred together on occasion. Once he hears that Flare is in the Smash Clash tournament, he decides to join the fight himself and battle his old friend again.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Smash Clash 2 would definitely need a large dev team and a bigger budget. Similar to how Smash Bros is a big tribute to console games from the big companies, Smash Clash could act as a big tribute to mobile games from the tiny companies. You could possibly get the rights to use characters from other popular mobile games, and have them fight against the Smash Clash original veterans.

Perhaps you guys could create character bios for each brighter in the game as Unlockable extras that could explain why such a diverse range of fighters are in one place,

So yeah, here are my ideas for character bios:
Flare - He serves under Queenie Linguine and leads her armies in a war against the dark queen character that someone here created a while ago, who rules over another Kingdom. Flare was summoned by the Smash Clash Corporation across time and space to fight in their Super Smash Clash royal rumble tournament.

Mister Randoms - A being from another dimension which makes no sense and lacks colour. He is transported to the Smash dimension which is ruled over by the Smash Clash Corporation and they convince him to fight in their tournament.

Crash - A crash test dummy brought to life by a drunken wizard. Crash starts to gain a conscience and a personality of his own, and once saved Flare's life during Queenie Linguine's war. The two became friends and sparred together on occasion. Once he hears that Flare is in the Smash Clash tournament, he decides to join the fight himself and battle his old friend again.
Most definitely. I will be going full speed ahead for now on this. I should have a prototype up for you guys next week.

I'm creating a google drive folder we can all contribute to.

Here's the folder:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...ZCa19LLS1iTTNhak5wVGtCeVR5eG05WG8&usp=sharing

If you want to edit things, just send me your gmail and I can grant you access. Also, if a storyline and background info is stuff you guys really want to have, maybe story a document in that folder brainstorming storyline ideas.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Hey, guys! I am new to the dev team since I am working on a new fighter who goes by the name Stacy Reaper.

I asked jdawg99 if I could help for a character, so I made my own fighter so she can come to life. It is still in progress, though. But she is doing well. :)

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Hey, guys! I am new to the dev team since I am working on a new fighter who goes by the name Stacy Reaper.

I asked jdawg99 if I could help for a character, so I made my own fighter so she can come to life. It is still in progress, though. But she is doing well. :)
Welcome aboard! We appreciate new faces for the team! :b: Can't wait to see some of your work for the game!

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Welcome aboard! We appreciate new faces for the team! :b: Can't wait to see some of your work for the game!
Thank you. It really is a pleasure. :D
She may take a while to finish the sprites, but I swear to all of you guys in the team, I won't let you down with this new fighter.

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the team @ Russell_SSB Russell_SSB , and keep up the swell work with your character! Judging by her last name, she sounds like she uses a scythe :lol:

Last edited:

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice

Glad to see you joined us here :D
Literally anything would be better than corona LOL Unity would make this a lot more viable
I don't think there is anything wrong with Corona SDK. In fact, there are several great apps made with it. Major Magnet, Fun Run....

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I don't know much about those game engines but if there is something better to use, then I don't see why not use a better engine, but I have seen some good work on Unity though. I don't know if Game Maker is any better than Corona but I have seen some games made from Game Maker made it to IOS and Android devices, so I guess that's an option if it is better than Corona.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't like game maker. I'm okay with Unity, I just happen to know corona a lot better (after years of experience now..)

One thing nice about going corona now is that I now have a good solution for multiplayer...so we could potentially have a good multiplayer option.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Thanks again for the support, guys!

Just to let you guys know, I will give you more info on her:
Stacy Reaper
Species: Unknown (Possibly the Grim Reaper's daughter)
Fighting style: Uses a sythe, also a yandere character

Info: After watching the five fighters in the Super Smash Clash tournament, Stacy finds a way on how she could become the next challenger as she faced many people by collecting their souls. Now she enters not just for victory, but to make her father proud. She also has a crush on Flair.

Plus, I may also make more stuff like a final boss character (if needed, but also can voice-act for) and some stages (like 8-Bit Land and/or Stacy's Bedroom).

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/176663/5_tips_for_making_great_animations_for_2D_games.php
I found an interesting post about animating for 2D games. Some of you may enjoy it.

Ok I'm working on multiplayer now...essentially I'm making a very simple player object which syncs across both devices. I will then make sure everything I add into the game from hereon out will work perfectly online.

As for multiplayer in the 1st game, it's still a be laggy, but I should post a view of it working in the next week or so.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
AND a progress on the character:

I am still making her sprites, which will be done ASAP. I got a lot move stuff for Stacy's sprites/animation (possibly gonna have her hair blow as the animation.)

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! :)
Sorry if the sprite may be bigger than the original characters, I just wasn't sure how big you wanted them so I did it like that.
Oh, I thought you were just doing concept for some reason. We need them to be the same dimensions...

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Oh, I thought you were just doing concept for some reason. We need them to be the same dimensions...
Sorry. Not meaning to be asking in a lazy manner, but is there a way if I could just resize them for ya? If so, thanks.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Sorry. Not meaning to be asking in a lazy manner, but is there a way if I could just resize them for ya? If so, thanks.
Not really that I know of...here is an example of how the character animations end up looking. Make sure each frame is on a separate file.

Attachments

Top Bottom