• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

MechaWave

Smash Champion
The Direct was good although you can tell he was holding back information for E3, which I expected anyway.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Has anybody pointed out what Sakurai-san said about ALMOST ALL the stages have a Final Destination form, the stages he showed were: Battlefield, Pyrosphere, Dr. Wily's Castle, and Mario Galaxy. So in For Glory mode(and it would not make sense to not put it on the regular set of rules when fighting) there won't be any stage hazards, no platforms, just plain stages to battle. It seems very good news for the competitive scene.
Most people seem to be complaining BECAUSE of a lack of platforms. Which is fair, I think there should be a Battlefield version of stages also. Because characters that don't have a strong projectile on FD are going to struggle. Other than that Glory mode looks awesome!

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Wait (Im not trying to peg on believers but...) if Meta Ridley was the Boss of Pyrosphere, and Ridley was playable, what sense would that make? Ridley fighting Meta Ridley seems a bit.... absurd. Just tossing in my two coins.
In fairness, :sheilda: and :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus: are now two separate entities (respectively).

What's Zamus's FS now?

Most people seem to be complaining BECAUSE of a lack of platforms. Which is fair, I think there should be a Battlefield version of stages also. Because characters that don't have a strong projectile on FD are going to struggle. Other than that Glory mode looks awesome!
Yeah, I don't like the idea of ranked not having any platforms.

Last edited:

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
My review of the direct

Overall, an 8/10

Pros:
  • Love the assist trophies and pokeballs
  • The whole For Fun and For Glory thing with Final Destination is awesome
  • Customizable movesets are pretty cool, I just want more examples.
  • Another Mario rep seems more probable now (TOAD!)
  • Trolls were awesome
  • Solo Charizard - Enough said
  • Smash Run looks fun
  • Global Smash Rank (or whatever it was called) looks cool
  • CGI trailers are always cool
Cons:
  • Release window stinks (why is 3DS being released earlier)
  • There was a lot of repeated information
  • No Ridley??
  • A bit too much time spent on Yellow Devil
  • Greninja is cool and all but I would prefer Mewtwo

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai made a comment about wanting to include lots of Assist Trophies because they're important in All-Star Mode. What do you guys think this could mean?

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Aside from Ridley's chances taking a nosedive and Squirtle and Ivysaur pretty much being dead in the water, there's so many good things to come out of this Direct:

-Captain Falcon's all but confirmed (Goroh's in)
-Metaknight's all but confirmed (Halberd returning)
-Palutena's all but confirmed (Which of the 42,000 hints would you like?)
-Ice Climbers are all but confirmed (all the other starters from Melee are back)
-K. Rool's chances got a huge spike (Kremlings are back)
-Mewtwo chances got a huge spike (Megaevolutions + Squirtle and Ivysaur biting the dust)
-Online is now actually playable
-Awesome assist trophies
-Fantastic Pokemon choices
-More great items
-Retro stages confirmed to return
-We'll know the full roster in a few months
-Megaman's final smash just about made me cry
-Everyone else's final smashes are pretty groovy too
-One of the most popular Pokemon from 6th gen is playable
-ZSS and Sheik are not cut

I could go on and on. What an unbelievable showing and it makes me all the more excited for E3.
To add to this list, Isaac survived the AT massacre!

Funny, this is the first post I've read saying that Mewtwo's chances actually got better from this direct. Interesting Veeeeeery interesting.
If you break it down and count all of PT's Pokemon as individual characters (which they are as far as development is concerned) there are 6 Pokemon characters in the game, by dropping Ivysaure and Squirtle there are two new "pokemon spaces" on the roster. Ganinja takes one. Mewtwo takes the other. No new spots are actually taken, except that they now have their own spot on the roster.

Long story short: Ganinja doesn't really jeopardize Mewtwo, because he isn't really taking a spot on the roster, he just adds a new character slot on the character select screen.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
That whole video was pretty much all the hype I could handle in one sitting.

Pity about Lyn and Saki not being playable but I was pleased to see Isaac did not get shown as an AT so I still have hope for him.

I guess Kremlings could be an indication for K. Rool but I don't know.

Seems they're making several adjustments to please the competitive Smashers and lol FOR GLORY!

Charizard had the best shot of the 3 to go solo and I'm all for it.

Greninja was out of nowhere but I can't freak'n wait to play as him. Ninja frog FTW!

Good to see Yoshi, Zamus and Sheik confirmed but I'm really getting annoyed that other veterans still haven't been confirmed but we'll know soon enough.

On a side note... dang Zamus, even more alluring.

SO MUCH HYPE!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Is this an expression of pain, or an expression of goof?

Whenever Iwata says "Direct" in the Nintendo directs, he makes this pose.

So Sakurai is following suit, as he did this whenever he said "director". Probably making fun of Iwata :p

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sakurai made a comment about wanting to include lots of Assist Trophies because their important in All-Star Mode. What do you guys think this could mean?
Maybe AT's are more frequent in All-Star mode, and on each stage, you can only get a character that reps it's series.

I hope the grouping is better in All-Star mode this time around. IC's, ROB, Pit and maybe even Game & Watch could have been grouped together with a random stage each time. All-Star mode needs work I think, especially if the roster grows even larger. Beating it with each character will take forever.

Frederica Irving

Smash Rookie
Sakurai made a comment about wanting to include lots of Assist Trophies because their important in All-Star Mode. What do you guys think this could mean?
Fighting Assist Trophy Team?
Assist Trophies aiding the Enemy Team?

On another note. First Post.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Did anybody notice on the Charizard and Greninja trailer, there is this part where Greninja knocks Mario to the right and Charizard to the left? I think that is a new stage. Correct me if I am wrong please.
This stage is Drasna's Room from the X/Y Elite Four.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
If you break it down and count all of PT's Pokemon as individual characters (which they are as far as development is concerned) there are 6 Pokemon characters in the game, by dropping Ivysaure and Squirtle there are two new "pokemon spaces" on the roster. Ganinja takes one. Mewtwo takes the other. No new spots are actually taken, except that they now have their own spot on the roster.

Long story short: Ganinja doesn't really jeopardize Mewtwo, because he isn't really taking a spot on the roster, he just adds a new character slot on the character select screen.
I know, I did post before my idea Pokemon roster would be the confirmed Pokemon + Jigglypuff (only cause she's "Original 12" material...) And Mewtwo. I'm holding out that Palutena, Ridley, and Mewtwo are E3 reveals, given the teasing by Sakurai. But Sakurai does make the occasional blunder...who knows, he could cut Mewtwo again if he felt like it and keep Squirtle and Ivysaur just as easily.

I am freaking stoked about Greninja though. Perfect pokemon to diversify the Pokemon reps with a 6th gen rep. My favorite pokemon from that gen too!

FreeVelocity

Smash Rookie
This may be a long shot and me speculating, or whatever. But does anyone feel like Sheik getting grenades now doesn't obliterate, but lower Snake's chances of returning? We were already skeptical as-is, and we know how Sakurai feels about clone characters. It's not close to a clone by our standards, but I feel like possibly Sakurai knew Snake was getting cut, but liked the idea of grenades, so he passed them to Sheik. Thoughts?

88dfe80a753c81bd599391c2b3c6e3ad.png

Last edited:

ZealRed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZealRed
3DS FC
5026-4454-7119
I believe it was done to just enjoy the music and have a nice, fair and plain match with nothing that might ruin the ''feeling'' of the battle. I will most probably be only using For Glory mode, and the actual stage bans will be done in tournaments. And remember, you can always just add somebody as a friend so you can decide what stages will be good for both. Overall, to put something like this, it just comes to show that Sakurai-san has heard us(well, I suppose some) to make a balance for online, competitive play.

liLZoOlu

Smash Rookie
I don't think Ridley is in the game... Wouldn't make sense to have 2 Ridleys on one stage.

Appreciating the diverse roster, Greninja!

I don't know why, but the Villager looks so interesting to me.

Looks really easy to get knocked out in this game. Another thing i noticed is that a lot of these moves have long range! Yikes.

Mewtwo? Naw, think he's gone for good. A lot of y'all want a LARGE roster, but don't want roster cuts. More cuts equals more newcomers. Im all in for newcomers.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I posted this in the Unpopular Opinion thread, but it works here too on the Mewtwo/Greninja discussion:

If Sakurai and Gamefreak had to choose between Mewtwo and Greninja, Greninja was by the the better choice. If there are five Pokemon reps, it is completely absurd to have four of them (if it were Pikachu, Charizard, Jiggs and Mewtwo) from Gen 1. It's like if Fire Emblem got multiple reps, but all were from FE:1. I know that Gen 1 were the glory days, but X and Y were incredible, and did amazing things for the series. Greninja and Hawlucha were the two picks from that Gen, and Greninja made way more sense being a starter. If anything, hate on Charizard (or Jiggs when confirmed) for being picked as a Gen 1 rep, they stole Mewtwo's place more than Greninja did.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle

MY BODY IS READY
I almost died when he joked about ZSS not returning. Love how her looked has changed.

Now I kinda want Metal Mario or Dr. Mario as independent characters with their own movesets. Anyone who has seen Metal Mario in MK8 and MK7 know how he is far more cocky than Mario and has his own personality.

On another note, I REALLY would love to learn more about those custom movesets. I hope to Lady Palutena I get to play as Bomb Kirby or use any of his other abilities from his games. The amount of polish and content they are putting into this game is fantastic and should be worth the wait. People can sit and pout about how poorly Nintendo's Wii U is doing but this is my most anticipated game of the year and at the end of the day it's turning out to be a glorious game without the 8GB GDDR5 or x86 architecture.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
This may be a long shot and me speculating, or whatever. But does anyone feel like Sheik getting grenades now doesn't obliterate, but lower Snake's chances of returning? We were already skeptical as-is, and we know how Sakurai feels about clone characters. It's not close to a clone by our standards, but I feel like possibly Sakurai knew Snake was getting cut, but liked the idea of grenades, so he passed them to Sheik. Thoughts?
I thought the same thing - especially as grenades aren't canon to Sheik - or in and Zelda game.

That is, unless Sakurai knows things about the HD Zelda that we don't. Sheik side-quests anyone?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I wish the hammer-flip thing was just a customization option. It's a clone of Jet Hammer, and pathetic compared to how it is in Kirby games (it's rightfully considered the most OP move in any Kirby game, excluding Super Abilities).

Edit: Also, I love how washed-out Sheik looks. I get the appeal of bright colors, but a TP pallet might add some variety.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle

View attachment 11739
At this point Snake has zero chances of making it in. I don't think Shiek has anything to do with it. More like Nintendo and Konami's odd relationship that is similar to EA.

Globe

I only care for waifus

This whole day I was just praising Zero Suit Samus. New main in next Smash next to Rosalina.

ZealRed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZealRed
3DS FC
5026-4454-7119
Fighting Assist Trophy Team?
Assist Trophies aiding the Enemy Team?

On another note. First Post.
Good point, highly because you cannot fight Andross since he goes to the background.
Side note, welcome to posting, may many posts be done(unless you don't want to).

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Oh, wait, where's the dude with the Pokemon theory? About how Pikachu's ears taking priority over Fox and Bowser, he mentioned how we might get Pokemon characters because of that... HE WAS RIGHT.

FreeVelocity

Smash Rookie
At this point Snake has zero chances of making it in. I don't think Shiek has anything to do with it. More like Nintendo and Konami's odd relationship that is similar to EA.
Yup I agree with the relationship issue, however I believe that Sheik getting grenades officially hit the nail on the head for speculators to believe he wasn't coming back. After a little bit of googling, I couldn't find any evidence for Sheik or Zelda ever using grenades in any of the Zelda games, so this is something new to Smash 4.

Just something I guess that I got from this Nintendo Direct that no one in this thread has really pointed out yet, to my knowledge. :p

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I wish the hammer-flip thing was just a customization option. It's a clone of Jet Hammer, and pathetic compared to how it is in Kirby games (it's rightfully considered the most OP move in any Kirby game, excluding Super Abilities).

Edit: Also, I love how washed-out Sheik looks. I get the appeal of bright colors, but a TP pallet might add some variety.
Agreed, I really don't like this move. Kirby and Dedede already (kinda-ish) share the inhale move, and now the hammer? Keeping his old side special would have been way better, unexpectedly smacking someone with that mid-air in Brawl was so satisfying.

On another note, I know it's been discussed but I actually can't get over the Palutena trophy trolling. That was literally RIGHT BEFORE the discussion of newcomer characters. I remember not breathing for the few seconds it was on the trophy's backside.

Is there anyone who thinks Palutena is NOT a shoo-in at this point?

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
Let's start off with the list of SSBB assist trophies.
Andross, Barbara, Devil, Dr, Wright, Excite Bike, Gray Fox, Hammer Bro, Helirin, Infantry & Tanks, Isaac, Jeff, Jill Drozer, Kat & Ana, Knuckle Joe, Lakitu, Little Mac, Lyn, Metroid, Nintendog, Ray, Resetti, Saki, Shadow, Starfy, Tingle, and Waluigi.

Then we eliminate AT already promoted to characters.
Andross, Barbara, Devil, Dr, Wright, Excite Bike, Gray Fox, Hammer Bro, Helirin, Infantry & Tanks, Isaac, Jeff, Jill Drozer, Kat & Ana, Knuckle Joe, Lakitu, Lyn, Metroid, Nintendog, Ray, Resetti, Saki, Shadow, Starfy, Tingle, and Waluigi.

Then we eliminate already confirmed returning AT.
Barbara, Excite Bike, Gray Fox, Hammer Bro, Helirin, Infantry & Tanks, Isaac, Jeff, Jill Drozer, Kat & Ana, Lakitu, Ray, Resetti, Shadow, and Tingle.

Then eliminate third parties.
Barbara, Excite Bike, Hammer Bro, Helirin, Infantry & Tanks, Isaac, Jeff, Jill Drozer, Kat & Ana, Lakitu, Ray, Resetti, and Tingle.

Then get rid of impossible characters
Barbara, Excite Bike, Isaac, Jeff, Jill Drozer, Kat & Ana, Ray, and Tingle.

I'd personally prefer Isaac, Tingle, or Ray

Just something to think about thanks to the disconfirmations today

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

This whole day I was just praising Zero Suit Samus. New main in next Smash next to Rosalina.
I cant believe how much of an improvement this is to Brawl. I know there's been some awesome revamps - Marth and Bowser - but this is my favourite. Along with design, those boots, new moves and being separated from Samus, it feels like we've gotten a whole new character.

The same goes for Sheik and Charizard being solo now. Charizard feels new too, even though his moveset might remain unchanged.

I think splitting characters was an excellent idea. I mean, if you want, you can make four Samus's fight each other anyway - so what's the big deal if she's fighting herself?

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
>Smash Run on 3DS
>Pseudo-Palutena as trophy instead of actual one
>such zamus, very sheik
>Online in general
>Greninja
>Custom Movesets
>Sonic so far
>What amounts to FD-like spoofs of everything

...wow. Sounds like Sakurai going to work within his work. In fact, I was nearly in tears from this hype overload. No one stops the hype train, bar a robbery by Egoraptor. >:U

Last edited:

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
I just realized, Sakurai talked about some alternate costumes, such as little mac's wire outline thingy and WFT's male version...but I don't recall him even hinting at a female villager costume, which is odd since the animal crossing 's villager is an avatar of sorts and does not need to be male, it can be either, so why not mention the alternate gender?

seems a tad sexist to make a male counterpart for a female avatar and neglect to do the same for a male avatar. Not very sexist since it's probably not intentional, but still slightly.

Top Bottom