• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@D-idara
You've made your point. Please stop fanning the flames.

EDIT: greninja'd
Point still stands.

Last edited:

PaperX

Smash Cadet
My reaction when Sakurai showed Samus' FS:

Me: Hum... same FS as before. Nothing to get excited about. Wait... why is she not losing her armor?
Sakurai: As you can see, Samus now keeps her armor after using her FS
Me: No... this can't possibly mean...
Sakurai: Unfortunately, this means that ZSS won't be returning this time around
Me: Oh crap...
Sakurai: Just kidding
Me: You ************...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hey! This is Sakurai we're talking about, he loves to torture his fans and do exactly the opposite of what they want, there will probably be no Mewtwo and some useless newcomer like Lip or Pac-Man!

That's the thing he does to swallow the souls of his loyal fans and crush them, it's kind of a ritual.
You say it as if you'll need counselling after this inhumane presentation about a video game.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's fine if you don't like the update, but you really need to calm down and focus on the good things about it. The world isn't ending if Sakurai didn't cater to your tastes. In fact, I'm loving how he's catering to everyone this time. He's really trying this time around and this update proves it by updating various parts of the game. And you don't have to move on when it releases. Plenty of people still play the previous games like always (Brawl in your case), so stop your unreasonable complaining. It's not like you take this game too seriously to begin with.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
I was really thrilled to see that kremlings made an appearance in the Smash Run Mode. This gives me high hopes for K. Rool.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If anything, I think Smash on Wii U would boost the consoles sales. That game definitely has a lot more worth from the 3DS, including stages and character customization not to mention dem graphics. The worst I can see is something drastic happening to make the 3DS version suck and that inversely affecting the Wii U version. Or people not wanting to purchase essentially the same game twice.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
some useless newcomer like Lip
That hurts, dude.

That direct was certainly a ride. I'm still collecting my thoughts after that barrage of information, but off the top of my head I'm really happy with Yoshi's return and the removal of transforming characters (I really hope Zelda becomes viable on her own!). I'm also happy with the City Trial-like game mode, although I'm kinda bummed that it's 3DS only.

Mega Man's final smash is super cool as well!

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
What my little eye spies, and quite enjoys, is that little default button at the top mapped to the 'Y' button. Probably means you can set the default song so if you press that button while the stage is loading, that song will be the one to play. THAT, my firends, is something I have been wanting for a long time now.
I'm pretty sure it just means to reset the sliders to the default... but that is a cool idea.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Final Destination gave me a raging hard on.
I already had one since I saw Sakurai's beautiful face but it was going strong.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Because Ridley's not in smash
Nope! Not my complaint at all! Especially since it's merely his shadow (and may not even be Ridley?)

Please explain how the Wii U is doomed.
Fine, excuse my >fake greentext
>Summer is out, 3DS version is there, yay!
>Most everyone gets their fill of it, and MK
>E3 brings out holiday games, BUT
>Nothing on Wii U until then
>October begins PS4/Xbone hype trains
>machismo overruns Wii U advertisement, Zelda Wii U unlikely to make 2014
>Double dippers of Smash not enough to make good sales
>Wii U declared dead, people's faith in Nintendo consoles sank completely

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I was really thrilled to see that kremlings made an appearance in the Smash Run Mode. This gives me high hopes for K. Rool.
He borrowed a better part of Kirby Air Ride for sure this time. I can totally see that mode being interesting and hectic when it comes out.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
My reaction when Sakurai showed Samus' FS:

Me: Hum... same FS as before. Nothing to get excited about. Wait... why is she not losing her armor?
Sakurai: As you can see, Samus now keeps her armor after using her FS
Me: No... this can't possibly mean...
Sakurai: Unfortunately, this means that ZSS won't be returning this time around
Me: Oh crap...
Sakurai: Just kidding
Me: You mother****er...
Yeah, that was pretty much me too. =p

Sakurai made clear at the beginning of direct that gameplay mechanics are still subject to change.

Don't (yet) worry man.

If anything, this game looks better competitively than Brawl already imo.
Yeah, you're right. I'm not too worried.

I'm calling it now though, Sonic pillars.

Still, I just bought a Wii U, I was hoping that the releases would be the inverse, but it's cool, I have a 3DS so I'm good to go.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My only worry is that we didn't see anything like Smash Run on Wii U. I really want there to be a substantial single player game here, like Brawl.

That comment about the Assist Trophies and All Star Mode was interesting, though.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I left feeling there was high hopes for Isaac and Ray MK to be playable because I didn't see them return as assist trophies.
King K. Rool has some hope, saw Kremlings.
Mewtwo I still have hope for as well.
Ridley is iffy but possible.
Shulk is feeling less likely now, but still possible.
Black Shadow may have increased odds... Goroh being an at again.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I missed out on the beginning because my internet derped (I joined with the mentioning of Yellow Devil a boss or something and then the Ridley shadow) What's all of this talk about the Wii U being doomed and release dates?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
He borrowed a better part of Kirby Air Ride for sure this time. I can totally see that mode being interesting and hectic when it comes out.
I've been meaning for a long time to make a list of all the stuff in Smash that's taken from Kirby games. Gotta get on that...

Also, while Gordos have been nerfed, I'm now 99.999% sure Bandana Dee is in. That's the only logical reason for normal Waddle Dees to be removed.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm pretty sure it just means to reset the sliders to the default... but that is a cool idea.
Crap, how could I miss the obvious. My imagination got the best of me. :(

Have to say though, after watching gameplay of Greninja, I like what he brings to the table. The "mystic ninja" vibe he gives off is pretty cool. Fortunately, unlike some here, I still think Mewtwo is down the pike, so the thought of Mewtwo vs. Greninja vs. Lucario is a pretty tantalizing thought right now. And normally I'm not one for the Pokémon characters. Plus, like I said before, I like surprises; and Sakurai did it again!

What I'm interested in is why King DeDeDe's Waddle Dee attack changed. Was he doing that poorly in test builds that he needed a buff?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You are logical and think out the box.

You are awesome.
Add the fact that you may transfer stuff from the 3DS version to the Wii U version and it makes even more sense.

Like I said, it does have its cons, so let's see how it will work out sales-wise.

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
Are you guys sure that Ridley is deconfirmed? Similar to what someone said in the previous comments, the tail of Ridley in the direct was a gray color and the original's is purple. http://smashboards.com/attachments/metaridley-png.11695/ Meaning the one we saw was META Ridley.

Remember when we saw Toon Link in the spirit tracks stage and we all thought he was deconfirmed? Well it ended up that he wasn't. This goes for Ridley as well, he can be a stage character and a character on the roster.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Disappointed. While the new information was good, the deconfirmations hurt more.... Mewtwo and Ridley deconfirmed, makes me sad. I am really happy that Isaac wasn't decnfirmed via assist trophy however.

D

Deleted member

God damn.

That was the most shocking thing to ever happen to Smash. It's real... it's ****ing real. And I don't know what to say.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Wow, I'm blown away overall.

What I liked:

- More confirmation that the Kremlings / King K. Rool haven't been forgotten.
- Charizard is his own character.
- Greninja, he's not Mewtwo, but he looks epic nonetheless.
- The divergence from transformations. It's nice that Zamus and Sheik will hold their own ground now. Zelda's new down-special, although it was predictable (to me), is a welcome change. This notion also de-confirms the Diddy / Dixie duo more or less.
- Yoshi in HD.
- Online play looks much more promising.

Things I'm not so sure about / didn't care for:

- 3DS version releasing quite a bit further ahead of the Wii U version... Really not sure where they're trying to go with this.
- Bowser, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong may suffer from Godzilla / Scooby Doo and try-hard-chimp syndrome again. This could very well change though, seeing as we may be looking at another 8+ months of time before release.
- Greninja's inclusion is beginning to look bad for Mewtwo, but we can just wait and see.

Interesting things I noticed:

- The obvious trolling with Ridley's shadow.
- The reference to what I think is the Palutena leak, where Sakurai trolled with that trophy.
- Pit's changed final smash, pointing more towards Palutena's inclusion (I'm 100% sure we're getting her now, up from 99% sure from that leak).
- Diddy's art that is seemingly kept from Brawl in certain places.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been meaning for a long time to make a list of all the stuff in Smash that's taken from Kirby games. Gotta get on that...

Also, while Gordos have been nerfed, I'm now 99.999% sure Bandana Dee is in. That's the only logical reason for normal Waddle Dees to be removed.
Or there's the more obvious logical answer - batting spiked balls as opposed to throwing soft creatures is a more effective battle mechanic.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Disappointed. While the new information was good, the deconfirmations hurt more.... Mewtwo and Ridley deconfirmed, makes me sad. I am really happy that Isaac wasn't decnfirmed via assist trophy however.
Where was mewtwo deconfirmed?

There very well could be 9 Pokemon still, as we haven't seen anything of Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu or Mewtwo

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Add the fact that you may transfer stuff from the 3DS version to the Wii U version and it makes even more sense.

Like I said, it does have its cons, so let's see how it will work out sales-wise.
Do not forget the Western mentality: Portable version = worst.

I mean is HD!!!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
God damn.

That was the most shocking thing to ever happen to Smash. It's real... it's ****ing real. And I don't know what to say.
Not sure if you're satisfied or disappointed, but yeah, this Smash Direct blew up everyone's mind.

So, I know you're a big Mega Man fan, what did you think about his Final Smash? (Other Mega Man fans are welcome to answer! =D)

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Or there's the more obvious logical answer - batting spiked balls as opposed to throwing soft creatures is a more effective battle mechanic.
Thing is, they were nerfed and altered and stuff.
And Doos were actually incredibly useful.

I wonder if this removes D3 capsules.
Funny story: The other day, I was doing a competitive-style match with my friend, and we got 4 capsules. They resulted in:
A pitfall
A Smash Ball
A Bob-omd
An explosion

Actually, now I see why they would change it without including BD.

Because, based on past Smash games, a most current gen rep was pretty much guaranteed from the start and he's by far the most popular of the current starters.
Hopper Hiru is more popular than Fox-faced Gardevoir and bipedal Torterra? Who would have thought?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, I know you're a big Mega Man fan, what did you think about his Final Smash? (Other Mega Man fans are welcome to answer! =D)
His Final Smash was amazing, dude. I wonder. Is it gonna be a beam like Samus, or will it be cinematic like C. Falcon?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't get why people keep saying Mewtwo is deconfirmed. Do peoeple not realize that we actually lost a rep from brawl leaving even more space for him?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Can we all agree that Skull Kid NOT dropping the moon is ****ing lame?
Seriously, that's the only negative point of this direct for me.
:p

Top Bottom