• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros 4's art style?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does it need to look realistic? Sure it's interesting to see Bowser with scales and the texture in Mario's jeans. But they don't do it in the games and galaxy looked wonderful

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, cause you get something like this

[collapse=Creepy Image]
[/collapse]

SmashGuy

Smash Journeyman
Well, they should probably do a detailed cartoon. I wouldn't like it looking real/real (detailed).

I like the Mario look from SMG too. So maybe like that except a little more detailed. :/

Also, when your playing, you don't look in the middle of a game the detail and/or notice the detail while playing. Especially at Hyrule Temple.

BUT! For pausing and taking snapshots it should go into "Detailed" mode.

Just saying, the whole ZSS and snake thing like, you know, snake's holds can be a little inapropriote (especially with ZSS stiking out her breast) and alot of characters' holds can be wierd and inapropriote too.

:phone:

JTsm

Smash Master
With games like Kid Icarus, Skyward Sword, and Mario Galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised to see SSB4 take a more galactic approach. Probably a story that has to do with the universes of each game and how you can travel through space to get to each one? Of course the art has to be impressive now that SSB4 has HD to work with.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
With games like Kid Icarus, Skyward Sword, and Mario Galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised to see SSB4 take a more galactic approach. Probably a story that has to do with the universes of each game and how you can travel through space to get to each one? Of course the art has to be impressive now that SSB4 has HD to work with.
This so much. Maybe an art style reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts/Sonic Generations (in means of cartoonity and lush worlds). (-l<>l-)

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
I want brawl art style only better, as realistic possible, with the exception of characters like kirby, G & W, yoshi, ect, they would have to be a little bit cartoonier than the rest.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why does it need to look realistic? Sure it's interesting to see Bowser with scales and the texture in Mario's jeans. But they don't do it in the games and galaxy looked wonderful
Most people have this logic that realistic graphics are da bes.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree that I am a fan of seeing characters such as the Mario representatives in more of a cartoon like design (eg. from SMG/NSMB designs) as opposed to being given more realistic designs. The cartoon/colourful designs of the Nintendo characters are what defines them and brings them to life.

Personally I loved how Melee and SSB64 took advantage of the colourful Nintendo worlds and characters. Brawl (in my opinion) put a different taste in my mouth as the theme was more "darker and lifeless" in a sense based off how more realistic the character models got and the addition of more darker themes. I'm not complaining; however, I would rather have the game just touch up on the character designs from their current games to keep true to the Nintendo themes.

Of course, not all Nintendo franchises would fit like this; however, a thorough emphasis on cartoon based designs while adding in some realistic features would be nice to see.

SmashGuy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I really liked the melee looks. But the feel I felt too much gravity. Especially fox in melee. If you hit him off stage, he would almost just die from the gravity.

I didn't really like the melee game. It's fun when your not facing M2K, but like if you wanted to be good it took a WHOLE lot of hand-I-cordination having to press jump super-oober-fast especially for like Fox and C falcon. I like the brawl kinda feel. :)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Although proper HD graphics is a big turn on finally from nintendo and smash while one of the biggest things i wanna see is how much more detailed the chars/game in general looks then brawl.

Like Brawl first trailer with mario/pika/kirby/link in there melee art then transformed into there new Brawl art.

I dont think Graphics should play a too big of a role simply because i know how much memory it takes up..

What im tryna say is ''my point'' i hope the game expands on features alot.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Jesus Krystal, how blind we are! The Answer has been so obvious since a lot of time and tt's "Wreck It Ralph!". That movie explains very clearly how to mix together a lot of different chars and in HD, without falling into the Uncanny Valley.
Just Look at their version of Sonic:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Jesus Krystal, how blind we are! The Answer has been so obvious since a lot of time and tt's "Wreck It Ralph!". That movie explains very clearly how to mix together a lot of different chars and in HD, without falling into the Uncanny Valley.
Just Look at their version of Sonic:
Is That how WiiU Sm4sh Graphics gonna be like?

Damn that sonic looks sick!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For another reference of Wreck-It Ralph's graphic style...

[collapse=Image]

Notice how Bowser maintains his typical appearance from the Super Mario titles?
[/collapse]

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's a movie about a video game villain who got tired of doing his job for 30 years.
Looool ow really? Ah i see.
A big thing im anticipating is the grapchics style though..

Like in brawl trailer showed the Grapichs change from Melee.

Omg i seriously cant wait for the Sm4sh trailer i will watch it every night untill it releases (-_-)

D

Deleted member

We'll probably get something like this:

[COLLAPSE="image"]
[/COLLAPSE]

That's not bad actually, I could actually go for that...

What if there wasn't one style, but actually many styles. You see, in the options menu you could change the general style of the game with Smash Themes. The themes would usually be based on other Nintendo franchises, and each one mimics the general style of the franchise. Depending on the theme you pick, the cosmetics of menus, images, and font would be changed to reflect that from sounds to visuals.

As for official illustrations, it would take on a more painting-like style for a more artistic flair.
This is the best idea, I like it, but I wonder if Ninty would throw us a bone here...

Someone over at Gamefaqs brought up the idea of the game being cell shaded.. I'm not much of a fan of that idea but I just thought I'd share this.
http://i.imgur.com/EkfA9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IyODO.jpg
On paper, cell shaded sounds like a terrible idea, but if it was worked on... I guess it could work. It just depends. You images sure make a decent case.

I personally hated Brawl's art style, I don't know what it was, but it felt very BLAND, especially when compared to Melee's more realistic, darker look. I can't even put my finger on what it was that I disliked about Brawl, but something was off.

What if they dropped 3D models all-together and went for Sprites in 3D backgrounds instead? :trollface: How would the fanbase react?

Anyway, I kinda want a more detailed but cartoony, yet colorful style, like Melee's but with a little less detail and more color, lighting and wash.

That Wreck-It-Ralph image sits very well with me for art direction.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sprites would be cool, but if Skullgirls has taught us anything, it's that making sprites is a *****.

I had a couple of problems with Brawl's art style. The colors were very desaturated compared to Melee which gave it a dull, bland look to it. Then there were some of the textures that I absolutely hated. Bowser has this pseudo-realistic look that just doesn't work. There's Peach's dress that you can tell is meant to be multi-layered but, the animation of the dress tells you that all the other layers were painted on. Fur details were also bad too. DK, Diddy, Fox, and Wolf look like their fur was all rough and pushed down with water which, again, gave it a cheap, painted look. Hair didn't improve all that much in behavior, but I'll cut some slack as hair is not an easy thing in CG. Overall, the art style can be described as cheap with poorly done realism in the wrong places.

Things like Wreck-It-Ralph, Final Fantasy, Tekken, and any given Dreamworks or Pixar movie are really good references, especially the first three.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
What if Nintendo and Namco with Square Enix's permission got Tetsuya Nomura to provide the art style of SSB4

D

Deleted member

@Metal Sonic

You mean the guy who does the art for FF?

Thanks but no thanks... That style should stay where it belongs, it would ruin both FF and Smash it appeared in Smash.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
If Smash 4 looked similar to a Pixar film, I would be very, very pleased.

Then again, Brawl's textures look absolutely fantastic with a bit of vibrancy and saturation (I've done this to a few characters in my game), so even they stick to the current style, I'm okay with that so long as they bring back the color.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
For the select character artwork plus whats wrong with his artwork?

D

Deleted member

For the select character artwork plus whats wrong with his artwork?
There's nothing wrong with it, in fact, it's fantastic, but the realistic style and everything else really belongs exclusively on FF imo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All I want is Smash to be even more cinematic. When I played Brawl last time with a friend we agreed that our King DeDeDe vs MetaKnight match almost looked like a movie.
We where... really high though.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Speaking of style. How would you like the cutscene introduced in the story mode?
Like in Ace Attorney? (type machine)
Like in 24? (digital clock numbers)
Like in Majora's Mask? (big white text on black screen together a heavy noise)
Like in Transformers G1? (spinning logo)
Other ideas?

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Atleast he could just do the character artwork for the choose your character section or at least the 3ds version.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If Smash 4 looked similar to a Pixar film, I would be very, very pleased.

Then again, Brawl's textures look absolutely fantastic with a bit of vibrancy and saturation (I've done this to a few characters in my game), so even they stick to the current style, I'm okay with that so long as they bring back the color.
Couldnt agree more.

Top Bottom