• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros 4's art style?

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I would love to see a Brawl style, just in HD. I loved the art style in Brawl and I feel like it could be stepped up. If not, it could go the route of something like Diablo III or Starcraft II or Legend of Legends, I don't think we are going to see an art we dislike.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
If it were pixar style, how would the 3DS handle those graphics?
I think the 3DS will take a somewhat different route. You can't expect the same artstyle in a handheld version.

Besides, if they were to go with the stunning Pixar art style, then the 3DS would problably have something similar... Only with worse graphics.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I get the feeling we'll see an upgrade to Brawl's style. I guess it'll look like Soul Calibur V or like that ZeldaU tech demo. Not that I'm complaining though.

I'd estimate we're veeeery far away from games that look like a Pixar film (unless you mean the simplicity and colors). It's just too complicated and "perfect" for anything today to handle.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I get the feeling we'll see an upgrade to Brawl's style. I guess it'll look like Soul Calibur V or like that ZeldaU tech demo. Not that I'm complaining though.

I'd estimate we're veeeery far away from games that look like a Pixar film (unless you mean the simplicity and colors). It's just too complicated and "perfect" for anything today to handle.
I agree with you. I do expect an upgraded approach to Brawl's style if anything. I'd not be complaining int hat department either. As far as I'm concerned, Smash has never disappointed from a visual standpoint.

I refer to the simplicity and color of Pixar as opposed to the more technical details of how things work. A simple thing like comparing Street Fighter IV's Zangief to Wreck it Ralph's is a decent illustration of what I mean.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
I still think Tetsuya Nomura's artwork could work for like the choose your character screen,intro and cutscenes and game models for the 3ds version.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I refer to the simplicity and color of Pixar as opposed to the more technical details of how things work. A simple thing like comparing Street Fighter IV's Zangief to Wreck it Ralph's is a decent illustration of what I mean.
Bingo! Expecially the Toy Story series.
Ironically, I have the strongest suspect the first Toy Story had a huge part in the inspiration of the first Super Smash Bros.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
What do you think of Tetsuya's artwork being in SSB4 Hypercat since you have one of his created characters as your avatar.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
My avatar is one of the standard ones. I choosed it because i liked it and it was fitting my nickname.
Honestly I prefer the characters in the selection screen being rapresented by their in-game model, like in Soul Calibur 2 or in the very first Super Smash Bros.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
I mean't his artwork and if possible game models made by Tetsuya if he was helping with super smash bros 4.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally more a fan of the Borderlands comic book-esque style. Very detailed 3D models that still have lineart to make them look like they're in a comic.

[COLLAPSE="Borderlands Art Style"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Either way, I want something more colorful than Brawl. The colors of that game seemed so washed out... I'm all for gray-tone colors, but Brawl just looked like the color was half drained out of it.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally more a fan of the Borderlands comic book-esque style. Very detailed 3D models that still have lineart to make them look like they're in a comic.

[/COLLAPSE]

Either way, I want something more colorful than Brawl. The colors of that game seemed so washed out... I'm all for gray-tone colors, but Brawl just looked like the color was half drained out of it.
That was the Wii's processing power. The game itself, in the Dolphin Emulator, make the appearance rather pleasant.

An Example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUSApaeCGE4&list=UUOSDoiBrlgiDaovgytySB6A&index=1

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~

[/COLLAPSE]

Being a huge fan of both Borderlands and it's art style myself I would be all for this. So long as the game incorporates very vibrant colors into it's design I'll be quite content.

It will debut on the Wii U so I'm sure the art style and colors will be spectacular regardless.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Borderlands looks great, but doesn't that look a bit similar to SFxT?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nah, SFxTK isn't in the same direction as Borderlands. I can see where you're coming from though. Borderlands doesn't look as anime as the other game.
[COLLAPSE="Lili and Asuka"]
[/COLLAPSE]

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Toon Shading! Toon Shading Everywhere!
Smash Bros Budokai Tenkaichi Borderlandz:The Wind Waker
[COLLAPSE="TOON SHADERZ"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Thank you KumaOso for the picture. It made it a lot easier to see the differences.

I wouldn't mind something similar to Borderlands.

Even better, something in line with the Zelda techdemo on Wii U.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
Even better, something in line with the Zelda techdemo on Wii U.
I would soooo not be against that. That would be amazing. Another thing I wouldn't mind (I'm a huge fan of toon rendering... can you tell?), the style of the Fire Emblem Awakening cutscenes.

And since it's a Nintendo franchise, it would seem more likely than a Borderlands style.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
I still think Tetsuya Nomura's artwork would still be good.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
I still think Tetsuya Nomura's artwork would still be good.
Yes, Metal_Sonic, Nomura's artwork is great, however, Nomura is just a character designer. He just makes up how the characters are going to look, and most of the time he simply draws them in very basic poses. For promotional artwork he could be good, but ultimately, he's not designing or redesigning any of the characters, so his artwork wouldn't really stand out among anyone else's.

As far as 3D models go, Nomura's style would translate even less into those, so ultimately, it would be useless to hire such a busy man, when he should be working on Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Perhaps Project Versus J style?

:phone:
[COLLAPSE="Project Versus J"]

[/COLLAPSE]

It's definitely more refined than SFxT style where all the characters look like they're coated in spandex or something. I wouldn't mind that one at all.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Dear DakotaBoner, stop with your antics, please!
Thought I'd like Prince Fluff from Epic Yarn being in the next SSB. But That's another thread.
Here we are talking about what artistic style should the next SSB have.
One thing I liked of the Melee style is that it wasn't disneyish or animeish, but a good mix/midway of them IMHO. And I'd love if the style of the next SSB will be internationalish like that.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
If they make SSB4 look anything like Wind Waker HD, they better turn down the bloom.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Just keep the respective art styles of each game. The variety was what made Smash Bros, well, Smash Bros.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just keep the respective art styles of each game. The variety was what made Smash Bros, well, Smash Bros.
Keeping everyone in their original art styles will lead to horrible clashing. Imagine dark TP Link standing right next to bright, colorful cel-shaded toon Link. A unified art style is needed.

Most of the previous Smashes have tried to make the characters somewhat realistic. This time around, a more colorful/cartoony style would be nifty.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And quite frankly, a more colorful art style alone would improve on the previous games' art styles. We've already seen that saturating the colors on the Brawl characters looks quite nice. Still, I feel they need to find a style that can accomodate for everyone. Honestly, Skyward Sword alone probably helps set the feel for the next game.

Oh, and Samus needs to be all sleek in the next game. The more feminine figure, streamlined gun, and no metallic bulge is such an improvement over Brawl Samus. She was probably the one character design in Brawl is I really disliked.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Imagine the potential that stages have now with the Wii U's power! Final Destination for example. Flying over a stunningly realistic ocean and passing by space debri in HD.

Also imagine how Fox's fur could look.
The definition on C. Falcons face, subtle wrinkles and such. The blush on kirby's cheeks and the roundness of Mario's nose. Shiny metal bits on Samus and R.O.B.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Most of the previous Smashes have tried to make the characters somewhat realistic. This time around, a more colorful/cartoony style would be nifty.
I disagree. I mean nearly every nintendo game is already colorful/cartoony, so the thing I always loved about smash bros is it took those characters
you love and gave them a slightly more serious looking edge to them that you dont normally get to see. And thats a defining element of smash bros that makes the series what it is to me.

Oh, and Samus needs to be all sleek in the next game. The more feminine figure, streamlined gun, and no metallic bulge is such an improvement over Brawl Samus. She was probably the one character design in Brawl is I really disliked.
Yeah, I did not like Samus at all in Brawl, too shiny and clunky looking.
The best looking Samus design to me is the one on the Metroid II box art. Thats how I'd want Samus to look.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Brawl had a really "Twilight Princess" look to it. Hell, it looked like they just ripped Link's model from that game, and just made all the character adapt to that style. Not a bad thing.

I do hope they retain this look in some form.

Or they go for the look similar to Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Mavel vs Capcom 3. I absolutely adore that style.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Brawl had a really "Twilight Princess" look to it. Hell, it looked like they just ripped Link's model from that game, and just made all the character adapt to that style. Not a bad thing.

I do hope they retain this look in some form.

Or they go for the look similar to Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Mavel vs Capcom 3. I absolutely adore that style.
I knew I wasn't the only one who thought Brawl's style was similar to Twilight Princess!

Really, both styles look incredibly similar.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I would like for them to go for a more colourful style. Something cartoony, maybe like the first SSB.

Top Bottom