• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros 4's art style?

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I would love it if there wasn't a specific art style and each character and stage looked like they were ripped strait from their respective games. If not that, then what they did with Brawl.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Brawl art style is a mess imo.
Even if it wasn't, the 3DS in itself is a strong reason to revert to Melee/64 style.

But
I can see the devs doing different art styles for the WiiU and 3DS versions.

max.

Smash Rookie
Brawl's art style kinda works. Either way, it's gotta be hard to conform all of Nintendo's diverse characters into one distinct style without messing something up.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
On this board I've seen a number of users mentioning the idea behind SSB64, of action figures coming to life.

For one thing this idea helps justify the inclusion of third party characters. (as if they should need justifying)
Cause you wouldn't exactly go up to a little kid playing with his dolls, and say "Why are you making Sonic and Pikachu fight?! THEY ARE NOT FROM THE SAME UNIVERSE YOU DUMB BUTT"

CalumG

Smash Lord
I imagine it won't be much different to Brawl's art style, bar higher resolution textures, higher poly models, better particle physics/explosions and presumably some much more exaggerated lighting. Of course, they could go in the other direction - but apart from looking a little washed-out, Brawl's style pretty much had it down.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I just hope they stick to their Melee and Brawl art styles.

Super Smash Bros N64's art style can't return because that art style is to outdated.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I want it to keep in the style it has been, just much more detailed, with much better graphics. I want it to really show off what the Wii U can do, because it'd be beautiful to see so many Nintendo characters (especially from franchises which are unlikely to ever make it to the Wii U) in such a style.

To contrast, though, I really did like Super Smash Bros. 64's cartoony style. Like how when the characters got hit by lightning it would show their inner skeleton. It was a unique charm to SSB64 that was sadly completely lost in the later games. Although, my desire to see SSBU be highly detailed goes over this desire to see that cartoony style return.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Detailed while toony? You mean like 부릉! 부릉! 브루미즈 S02 (check it on You-Tube)?

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the art in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. It works realistically well, the Wii U can probably do it, and the style works great.

(Don't know how to spoiler tag)

Why use the art style of the Sly Cooper series?

In my opinion. The way how the Sly Cooper series art style was design looks boring and the color is un-usual.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
The version used in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time has more cel-shading combined with realism than any of the other games in the series. It's basically a step up from Brawl while giving it more of a "Fresh" feel

I don't see anything wrong with that. I guess they take a while to get use to, but it's surely an interesting art style.

Top Bottom