• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3D/U OST Contest! Round 27 - Midgar (Grading)

Groose

Smash Champion
I suppose we don't have enough playlists to warrant a judging round yet? Don't worry, I'll participate no later than the end of today.

Also, would it be okay to use songs from other 3rd party games on 3rd party stages given Sega or Capcom own the said franchise? It may be a risky move and I certainly wouldn't go overboard, but you never know.
Not against the rules at all. Not sure if it would hurt or harm you, though.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Alrighty, let's have a Reset Blast with this!

1: Reset Bomb Forest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDAHOi9p01s
Reasoning: Expecting to see this as the main theme of the stage. The interior is the chapter's land battle after all. Most likely this will be the starter music that doesn't need to be unlocked.

2: Viridi: Goddess of Nature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mm2ovLaUg
Reasoning: This was a difficult choice mainly because "air battle" themes don't loop. But knowing Sakurai (who did mention before that he really likes Viridi), he may be able to make a loop-able variation of this theme happen. Its buildup imo has its potential to fit the setting of the stage itself... human genocide via Reset Bomb. Most likely this may be an early unlock-able theme if not already available. There always is a chance for a remix that combines #1 and #2. Sakurai would be amazing if he got that to happen.

3: Reset Bomb Depot (Exterior)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvtF9uWCSSE
Reasoning: Have to keep that Viridi-filled momentum up after all. It also has that buildup going to fit the moment before the Reset Bomb boom. Plus the song would also feel nice even when inside the Reset Bomb Forest... kinda.

4: Thunder Cloud Temple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yVTIEtWJ8A
Reasoning: One of the best energy-filled themes in the game imo, and there probably won't be another Viridi-themed stage at all, so we can't keep this one out, can we?

5: Kid Icarus Underworld theme (SSBB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdCiV875_Q
Reasoning: As some know, Brawl had some music from melee, while melee had some stuff from the 64. So if the pattern was true to Smash4 to have Brawl music, this has to be the one for KI. Besides, the Underworld theme is perhaps the most iconic of the franchise, and we can't leave that out, right? Honestly, it ain't Kid Icarus without the Underworld theme.

6: Destroyed Skyworld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEnDMF-z6-0
Reasoning: Well, not all songs should be intense and upbeat, right? Considering this stage (and chapter actually) has a somewhat painful feeling to it (really, like entire human armies getting destroyed by a Reset Bomb), it'd be fitting to have a theme with a sad vibe sound to it. The part starting from 1:52 is what I'm talking about when I mean by sad vibe. To be moved to a Skyworld-based stage if one gets revealed.

7: Solo Menu (Viridi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Lwf6uaYOs
Reasoning: Another sad sounding theme. This definitely should be in, especially if KI gets a 2nd stage that would take #6 away. Especially after knowing all those humans died from the Reset Bomb, this is a change of pace from all the energy-filled themes.

8: Dark Lord Gaol's Castle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSPUUPvOq9I
Reasoning: A mixture of quiet and somewhat intensified feelings as the song goes on. It kinda fits the stage atmosphere in a sense, at least I think so.

Potential questionings
-I chose not to put Dark Pit's theme in this mainly because I'm expecting there to be another KI stage, whether it's on Skyworld or the Underworld or somewhere with a dark scenery. That's where I'd put the song.
-As much as I love Boss Battle #2, I rather put it on stage set in Skyworld or Underworld, that of which the song played when battling Palutena or Medusa respectively. So yea, hope there's another KI stage for that.
-As much as there's tons of other amazing songs for this stage, can't hog em all, right? After all, most likely another KI stage will appear, and those (when they get revealed) will need songs too.
-While I don't think I was enough of variety compared to others, I have my feelings towards each of these and had the thoughts of how well each would fit to the stage 1 way or another.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
8 is the maximum amount or tracks you're allowed to have.
That's lame Swamp. Back when me and Star were making stage concepts on the old threads we had a 12 song limit. :p;)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's lame Swamp. Back when me and Star were making stage concepts on the old threads we had a 12 song limit. :p;)

That hurt my feelings...

50 points from ---!

And yeah, while it's entirely possible that we'll get even more then twelve, we're limiting it at eight so that it doesn't take forever to grade the entires...

It already takes an hour to two depending on how many people entered...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When you join #TeamMewTwo and #TeamMagcargo and become a real man without all these girly feelings.
You're just jealous that I started a contest!

That I did what you couldn't!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's because there aren't 8 Mario or KI songs worth including. :troll:

When Arena Ferox, gets its turn though.....:evil:
Maybe we'll never get there.

After all...

This contest is "LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME."

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Maybe we'll never get there.
We'll get there if you want food on your plate.
After all...

This contest is "LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME."
And you will have proven my point. A songlist contest without Fire Emblem isn't worth having.
shinpichu, stahp hurting mah feels.
WHO LET YOU IN HERE

THIS IS A DOMESTIC DISPUTE BETWEEN A MAN AND HIS SON

DON'T STICK YOU'RE NOSE WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We'll get there if you want food on your plate.

And you will have proven my point. A songlist contest without Fire Emblem isn't worth having.

Love you too Dad...

No it's not...

shinpichu, stahp hurting mah feels.
It's all in fun. No worries!

BUT YA STAHP HURTIN HIS FEALS!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Love you too Dad...
Hey now, there'll still be food around. There's squirrels all over this neighbourhood and I think there's a garden snake living in our backyard.

...what. It's what I had to do when MY dad didn't let me eat.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey now, there'll still be food around. There's squirrels all over this neighbourhood and I think there's a garden snake living in our backyard.

...what. It's what I had to do when MY dad didn't let me eat.
I always thought you ate yourself.

Considering you're a half eaten marshmallow...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I always thought you ate yourself.

Considering you're a half eaten marshmallow...
Nope. I was a real man and used my hunter/gatherer instincts to survive.

And you've got it easy. If you can't catch anything wild, there's always King. That mutt won't put up much of a fight. I wish I had had a dog to eat when I was foraging for survival.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I was tied for last place in the previous round, so there is nowhere to go but up! ...Unless I end up in last place again.

....So! Kid Icarus time!

Name: The Return of Palutena
Universe: Kid Icarus
Origin: Kid Icarus Uprising (2012)
Reason: It starts with a rousing take on the most famous Kid Icarus tune from the original game, then goes into a haunting breakdown a minute in before returning to a triumphant tone and eventually a majestic finale. A jack-of-all-trades tune that covers many emotions, but still feels Kid Icarus throughout.​
Name: Viridi, Goddess of Nature
Reason: The song is directly tied into the scene the stage is referencing and of the Reset Bomb themes, this one fits the best. It is grandiose and sweeping, while filling the air with distress, urgency and an overall feeling of melancholy. Perfectly relevant track.​
Name: Dark Pit's Theme
Reason: Very popular theme from KI:U and with good reason. Feeling like a cross between a spaghetti western and a flamenco, it has a more focused feel to it; less of a chaotic free-for-all battle, and more of a one-on-one battle of bitter rivals. Could be a very fitting backdrop for an epic battle.​
Name: Lightning Battle
Reason: And now for the Chaotic Free-For-All song. The driving guitars and drums at the start really pump you up so you are at full adrenaline when the hook kicks in. Personally, I love this track and it is one of my favorite in the game, so I would just like to see it get in.​
Name: Overworld
Origin: Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (1991)
Reason: Update this song with some modern instrumentation like that of Uprising's soundtrack and this jaunty track can really shine. Although simplistic, it is very catchy and would be a fun tune to fight to without the weight the other tracks hold.​
Name: Venus Lighthouse
Universe: Golden Sun​
Origin: Golden Sun (2001)​
Reason: Golden Sun had some great tunes, so it was unfortunate only one made it into Brawl. With a Golden Sun character/stage up in the air for the latest Smash, I'd like to assume we at least get more music. GS and Kid Icarus share a similar feel with the musical tone and the epic Venus Lighthouse track would fit right in here. I couldn't decide between the original or a rock remix, so I included both.​
Name: Boss Fight 1
Reason: This Boss Battle theme is used throughout the game and feels intense every single time, so I think that will carry over to Smash. You know you are in for a fight when this theme comes on, but still has the uplifting "carry on" parts to keep it from feeling like straight-up battle music.​
Name: Palutena's Temple
Reason: One more Uprising track to finish it out. This track is from later in the game, but features a dark reprise of the game's very familiar menu screen. Another high-action electric battle song that has a more sorrowful undertone to balance it out.​

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Sorry for not having my list ready yet, but I'm trying to get one up and working. However, I had to point out an error I just discovered in the Wall of Honor. Skyloft's tracklist has nine songs on it instead of eight! I checked GRC's post to verify and I believe that Bazaar is the extra theme up there.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry for not having my list ready yet, but I'm trying to get one up and working. However, I had to point out an error I just discovered in the Wall of Honor. Skyloft's tracklist has nine songs on it instead of eight! I checked GRC's post to verify and I believe that Bazaar is the extra theme up there.
The Bazaar was an extra theme and was counted as such like GRC requested.

Still, I thought the extra theme deserved to be in there too.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
The Bazaar was an extra theme and was counted as such like GRC requested.

Still, I thought the extra theme deserved to be in there too.
Ah, okay then...

[collapse=Hey, Palutena! Get a load of this tracklist!]
1. Name: Reset Bomb Forest
Game of Origin: Kid Icarus Uprising
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDAHOi9p01s

Reason: It is the name of the stage, after all...

2. Name: Underworld
Game of Origin: Kid Icarus/Super Smash Bros. Brawl
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1HWUz0DZ0

Reason: Without a doubt, this is the defacto theme of the Kid Icarus series. It needs an inclusion and I decided to import the Brawl track just because it is one of the best versions.And why mess with perfection?

3. Name: Dark Pit
Universe: Kid Icarus Uprising
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG77HTdreh0

Reason: I'm gonna be honest, I never played Uprising (or any Kid Icarus game, for that matter). But this sounds pretty distinct and interesting. Plus Dark Pit was inspired by Smash Bros., so it's a good fit.

4. Name: Overworld
Game of Origin: Kid Icarus
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEoi9-LNtKM

Reason: Another theme that's a major part of Kid Icarus. I had considered using the Brawl, but I decided that it might be best for one of these songs to get a new remix.

5. Viridi, Goddess of Nature
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mm2ovLaUg

Reason: Other people say that this song is also part of the stage. While I myself am not sure, Sakurai did mention Viridi in a Miiverse update and it seems to fit the stage.

6. Fortress
Game of Origin: Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B14wbvOK424

Reason: Yes, I know it's a bit of an odd choice. But the other tracks were taken and I didn't want to be accused of plagarism. :p

Seriously, this tune is pretty awesome and I imagine it being some kind of techno punk remix that is vastly different from any other track that's on here. So, there you go.

7. Name: Title Medley
Contains the following tracks:

Title (Kid Icarus)
Game of Origin: Kid Icarus/Super Smash Bros. Brawl
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpQbJO_xMiw

Title Screen
Game of Origin: Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xez_MbongPg

Main Theme
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6nOPEMaWAw

Reason: My traditional medley of this round incorporates another fantastic Brawl track, as I believe this is a great rendition of that Title theme. Each title theme has its own distinct style and I felt that they could work really well with the right arrangement, with Of Myths and Monsters acting as a segway between the original and Uprising. I seem to have an okay track record with medleys so far, so we'll see what happens...

Now I know what you're thinking... how is he going to completely botch his tracklist this time? Well, I'm proud to say that I have found a way... BEHOLD!

8. Goldie VII
Universe: 3DS
Game of Origin: Mii Force
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uget7eLv0lg

Reason: Have you finished spitting out your respective beverage in complete shock and horror? Good... I had wanted a track on this stage that wasn't Kid Icarus to spruce up my variety. I think that Mii Force fits that bill, but it was hard to decide what track would suit this kind of stage. I think Goldie VII, despite it being the final level theme, is perfectly suited. The theme ties into fighting against overwhelming odds and managing to pull through, which sounds very much like a fitting context for the stage and the game itself. Maybe I'm just a weirdo. Who knows?
[/collapse]

I think I might be enjoying this game a little TOO much. But I just can't help myself, I've got a reputation to keep! :troll:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
****. I should make a list. I've never played Kid Icarus though, but HERE GOES!:

1. Overworld Theme
Origin: Kid Icarus (NES)
Reason: We need at least ONE track from the original NES game. A remix of this track in the same vein as Underworld's SSBB remix would work sweetly. That booping in the BG can really make your head bop in rhythm with the track.

2. Underworld
Origin: Kid Icarus (NES) (SSBB Vers.)
Reason: The word "Underworld" resonates with the stage's setting, don't you think? Not to mention it's probably in top 3 of Kid Icarus' most distinguished themes. Keeping this out of this list is like taking away Mario's mustache... he'd hardly be recognizable.

3. Of Myths and Monsters Medley
Origin: Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
Track List (in order): Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, Final Boss, Ending, repeat.
Reason: Honestly, I didn't know Icarus had a GB game. So I skimmed through the short OST, and thought it would work best as a medley. Each track acts like the medley is the progression of playing a game, going through the twists and turns and making your way to the final boss, becoming triumphant as you reach the ending. And then you get to do it again. I think they flow through each other nicely, as well.

4. Viridi, Goddess of Nature
Origin: Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
Reason: At first, it would make sense to use Reset Bomb Forest music as the default track, huh? Well, I was too, but after I watched gameplay of the Reset Bomb Forest chapter in Uprising, it came to this part of the chapter as Viridi appeared. I heard this, and instantly thought, "...you know, this works 10x better." That low volume silence at the beginning, immediately bursting with the insane violin's sense of urgency, as they reach to the majestic chorus. This beats my original choice by a landslide.

5. Dark Pit
Reason: Probably the most popular track in Uprising, it would be a sin against fandom not to include it. That spanish guitar is what makes it memorable, providing a cool atmosphere while fighters tango with each other as they fight for victory.

6. Boss Battle
Reason: Another popular track, this trades an orchestra for a sick electric guitar melody. Ok, there are other instruments in there, but they serve to emphasize the intensity and magnitude the guitar provides for the fight. Sweet, rocking music that deserves to play over any fight scene.

7. The War's End (Final Boss)
Reason: I'd originally chosen Hades' Infernal Theme, but length of it made it somewhat lacking. So I tried listening to the final boss music vs. Hades, and seems to fit better. The choir coordinate with the drama the violins and brass instruments create, making the fighting more emphatic and pressuring than they were. I also like how a segment of Kid Icarus theme pops up, only to be drowned out by Hades' freaking orchestra.

8. Magnus' Theme
Reason: The opposite effect of the final boss music, this track is a wake-up call to Icarus, reminding you of the significance of your fighting and what you live to fight for in the end. Heroic and optimistic, this adds a nice variety compared to rest of my track list.

Here's hoping I do great with a franchise I've never played.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I'm kicking myself over not doing a medley for Of Myths and Monsters like some of these other posters. That is such an awesome idea to pay tribute to the GB game!

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I will be the first to admit that it's a great concept, very similar to the Kid Icarus Original Medley, but I prefer to come up with my own. (The only exception is Ocarina of Time medley, since it was already a Brawl track, but it utilized my one medley limit.)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay. Round is closed!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Thank the heavens! Now off to go watch funny Kid Icarus videos!

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, guys. Quite simply put, I have little free time today. i'll get to your entries on Monday.

Terribly sorry for the delay.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
It appears that our judges may have fallen victim to the deadly XY strain of Pokerus going around. Rest assured that I too have caught this disease. You are not suffering alone, comrades! :p

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
NOooooOooOOOOoooOoOOoOooOOOooOoooO!

I'm too late and I blame Pokémon. ;-;
It appears that our judges may have fallen victim to the deadly XY strain of Pokerus going around. Rest assured that I too have caught this disease. You are not suffering alone, comrades! :p
I am sad because my birthday is nov. 7 and my parents don't let me bye anything a month before my birthday... I WANT TO PLAY POKEMON TOOOOO :cry:

Top Bottom