• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3D/U OST Contest! Round 27 - Midgar (Grading)

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
So far, the confirmed Punch-Out songs are:
Jogging/Get up Little Mac! (A medley that played on the Boxing Ring during the E3 demo and tournament.)
NES Punch-Out fight theme remix. (As can be heard in the first minute of BillyTheKidd's video.)
Get Up Little Mac Original (As can be heard when wireframe Mac is shown in the same video. )

@ D-idara D-idara : I like you, and maybe you've just caught me at a bad week, but I haven't seen anyone in this voting process make such a claim regarding third-parties. Also, it's obvious that you haven't played the Punch-Out series if all you can pull out is two songs. There's plenty of songs from both Super Punch-Out and Punch-Out Wii that can be used, plus songs from other boxing/fighting games that can be used. (Teleroboxer, Pro Wrestling, Joy Mech Fight, even gosh darn Rhythm Heaven) So don't act like there aren't enough songs to make a list, and stop putting down the people who want to do the Boxing Ring.
I still want Wily Castle, but I still have some songs prepared for Boxing Ring outside of the Punch-out!! games. I think even Mario spin-offs like Mario Strikers and Dance Dance Revolution - Mario Mix would be acceptable for their sporty/active gameplay and themes. ;)

The problem I have with the Punch-out soundtracks is there's only really a couple of songs considered iconic or memorable. I listened to few songs from Super Punch-out and the songs there don't really stand out. :/ There's still some good themes from the Wii Punch-out.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I really like the Punch Out songs we have in the game so far, but since I'm not well versed with Punch Out music, I'm gonna have to choose Wily's Castle.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Punch-Out!!'s got some gems hidden in it's entire musical library. Just gotta dig and find them!

Inversely, Mega Man's got a whole lot of good songs to pick from. You have to cherry pick the best of the best! And then there's the other series like X and Legends to pick from. That's part of the reason I voted for the Boxing Ring; Wily Castle has a lot pontential and choosing songs for it will be a huge undertaking.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So far, the confirmed Punch-Out songs are:
Jogging/Get up Little Mac! (A medley that played on the Boxing Ring during the E3 demo and tournament.)
NES Punch-Out fight theme remix. (As can be heard in the first minute of BillyTheKidd's video.)
Get Up Little Mac Original (As can be heard when wireframe Mac is shown in the same video. )

@ D-idara D-idara : I like you, and maybe you've just caught me at a bad week, but I haven't seen anyone in this voting process make such a claim regarding third-parties. Also, it's obvious that you haven't played the Punch-Out series if all you can pull out is two songs. There's plenty of songs from both Super Punch-Out and Punch-Out Wii that can be used, plus songs from other boxing/fighting games that can be used. (Teleroboxer, Pro Wrestling, Joy Mech Fight, even gosh darn Rhythm Heaven) So don't act like there aren't enough songs to make a list, and stop putting down the people who want to do the Boxing Ring.
Alright, alright, I overreacted, I just think Megaman music IS GODLIKE, I mean, Punch-Out's Main Theme is one of my favorite Nintendo themes, but it doesn't live up to Wily's Castle, We're The Robots or Megaman 2 Intro. I just wanna know if we can expand our reach to maybe some other Nintendo sports titles, because Next Level Games has this little habit of making up theme songs for each character that have their own variation, I just wanna know how out-of-the-box can we get with song choices.
This would at least soften the blow of not doing Wily's Castle, it'd be like someone choosing Toad's Harbor over Rainbow Road, and then the next race lands on N64 Rainbow Road.
Disco Kid's theme is also pretty cool, but I mean, it's not Megaman music.
Punch-Out!!'s got some gems hidden in it's entire musical library. Just gotta dig and find them!

Inversely, Mega Man's got a whole lot of good songs to pick from. You have to cherry pick the best of the best! And then there's the other series like X and Legends to pick from. That's part of the reason I voted for the Boxing Ring; Wily Castle has a lot pontential and choosing songs for it will be a huge undertaking.
That's exactly why we need to do Wily's Castle, no full no-brainer list, but a handpicked collection of the bestest of the best Megaman music, sparring all Megaman games (Not just classic, I'll be disgusted if Storm Eagle doesn't play in Wily's Castle).

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Dang. Dead even, huh? Personally, I'm rooting on Wily Castle, but I can't wait to see what wins!

LF2K

Floor Diver
Wily Castle and the Boxing Ring are tied, huh? I guess if we have a tie, the winner will be chosen...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

... By decision.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Are we still keeping the 8 song cap limit on Wily's Castle and/or Sonic's Windy Hill? There's so many good cherries to pick from these franchises that we need a bigger basket.

Considering Green Hill Zone had more than 8 songs available (TWELVE, in fact), it's not unlikely that Wily's Castle may get the same official treatment.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Alright, alright, I overreacted, I just think Megaman music IS GODLIKE, I mean, Punch-Out's Main Theme is one of my favorite Nintendo themes, but it doesn't live up to Wily's Castle, We're The Robots or Megaman 2 Intro. I just wanna know if we can expand our reach to maybe some other Nintendo sports titles, because Next Level Games has this little habit of making up theme songs for each character that have their own variation, I just wanna know how out-of-the-box can we get with song choices.
This would at least soften the blow of not doing Wily's Castle, it'd be like someone choosing Toad's Harbor over Rainbow Road, and then the next race lands on N64 Rainbow Road.
Disco Kid's theme is also pretty cool, but I mean, it's not Megaman music.
The main Punch-Out theme isn't the only memorable one. Don't forget about Jogging aka the theme of stolen bikes. Plus I like that we can do Smash original songs on that one as well. Plus there's still the issue of eight tracks not being enough for the third party stages....

LF2K

Floor Diver
@ TJ-Works TJ-Works brings up a great point. Sonic and Mega Man have such great songs. It would hurt to omit classics like Live & Learn.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I too think that 8 tracks for third-party stages is a bit too much of an inhibitor. In Brawl, Green Hill Zone had 12 tracks, while Shadow Moses Island had 9, I believe. Both numbers were proportionally pretty high for that game's average. Many stages had less than 9, and not all of their tracks were from the same series as the location itself.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I too think that 8 tracks for third-party stages is a bit too much of an inhibitor. In Brawl, Green Hill Zone had 12 tracks, while Shadow Moses Island had 9, I believe. Both numbers were proportionally pretty high for that game's average. Many stages had less than 9, and not all of their tracks were from the same series as the location itself.
Not to mention, some stages have less songs because they (most likely) have brother/sister stages where they belong to one franchise, like Mario or Zelda. So cumulatively, they still have a wider variety of song choices, but spread out.

As far as we know, Mega Man will only have one stage on Wii U (unless an unconfirmed 3DS counterpart is in development). Limiting it to 8 songs only feels like a hindrance to a strong franchise.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Not to mention, some stages have less songs because they (most likely) have brother/sister stages where they belong to one franchise, like Mario or Zelda. So cumulatively, they still have a wider variety of song choices, but spread out.

As far as we know, Mega Man will only have one stage on Wii U (unless an unconfirmed 3DS counterpart is in development). Limiting it to 8 songs only feels like a hindrance to a strong franchise.
That's sort of the point I was trying to make. We can limit the Pokémon and Zelda stages to 8 tracks, sure, because they'll likely end up with twice or more of that amount when all of their stages are considered. Third-parties only get one chance, based on precedent.

However, Pac-Man is getting two stages, so whether or not he's a special case will remain to be seen. It's probably too early to call for exceptions to the contest's rule because of this. Unfortunately, a call will have to be made if Wily's Castle ends up being used this round.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
@ TJ-Works TJ-Works brings up a great point. Sonic and Mega Man have such great songs. It would hurt to omit classics like Live & Learn.
Green Hill Zone's probably coming back as there's no Sonic without GHZ, and it's probably bringing back all of its music choices.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I'm down for twelve songs for the third-party stages.
I'd love to do 12, but I don't know if that's viable for the judges as they'll obviously have to spend more time thinking through their decisions and marking. It's already bad enough how long we normally wait nowadays.

I think at least 10 slots will be considerate.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just two hours to go for the poll to end,and Mega Man is in the lead.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's gonna be hilarious when the poll closes only for Groose to say it was all a ruse and make us do both stages as one round. :troll:
Have mercy on the judges. :laugh:

Anyways, the deadline for the poll is over, and Wily's Castle wins with a marginal lead of 3 votes. Yes, this was one close battle.

D

Deleted member

Have mercy on the judges. :laugh:

Anyways, the deadline for the poll is over, and Wily's Castle wins with a marginal lead of 3 votes. Yes, this was one close battle.
Will we at least get a special rule of putting in 12 songs? I mean, this is a 3rd party stage after all.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Does this mean the WVBA Ring will be booked for the next round after Wily's Castle, or is that undecided as well?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Again, undecided. As a norm, we generally decide everything on very short notice. :p

The next round would obviously be a 3DS one. While Boxing Ring does have a 3DS variant, I don't want it to be done as a 3DS round. It should be done as a full glory Wii U round.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I guess I'll start listening to some music and get my setlist ready before the formal announcement. This one should be fun. Good luck, everyone!:bee:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm waiting for the official announcement on how many songs we can have. If more than 8, I'll be in heaven.

LET'S GO THEN

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
A question about having to include already confirmed tracks.
Do they count towards the 8 track limit? Or can we have the confrimed tracks and 8 of our own choices?

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Do they count towards the 8 track limit? Or can we have the confrimed tracks and 8 of our own choices?
Confirmed tracks count toward the 8.

I still can't believe Wily's Castle won. Congrats to all the people who voted for it. I'm sure I'll be able to manage fine....

Part of me wishes we could put this track on our lists, though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If it's Wily's Castle next I may want in as a judge for once. If there's one thing I know, it's songs from this series, and choosing 12, let alone 8 is a very tough undertaking in deed.

@Swampasaur

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Would you even consider excluding Wily's Castle and Megaman 2 Intro to begin with? xD

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Man. Putting together this tracklist is like trying to pass a medical exam. It's got to be perfect!

LF2K

Floor Diver
I wonder what the 3DS Mega Man stage is? I'm trying to hold out on songs from Zero for that stage. :p

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The next 3ds round should be the Pac-Man Maze.

LF2K

Floor Diver
The Tomodachi round will certainly be interesting. Going to have to get creative!

Top Bottom