• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not like it's copyrighted or anything...Jeez, now more people know of it, and who knows...they might have figured it out without coming here.
Your only saying that now, wait until someone steals an idea you had

Frogla

Smash Ace
The two remaining ones are most likely Mr G n' W and Pikmin OR Animal Crossing. For all we know, Sakurai wouldnt even add both.

Sakurai is so complex.
no, no, no child. This is just the thing for the starting roster and third partys. Im sure the icons will grow when unlockable are revealed

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Here's another theory involving the update icons.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/list/old_list09.html

Now look at where the update about E for All is placed.

Next, look at this page:

http://www.multiverseworks.com/smashicon2b.php

As you can see, like I said earlier, between Sonic's video update and his special moves are two icons not available, meaning, at these two points updates were supposed to be made which didn't have icons. However, we can see from the list that between Sonic's video update and his special moves update there is just one icon-less update, the Nintendo Fall 2007 conference video.

Also, between Sonic's special moves and the taking snapshots update, there supposed to be the E for All update, yet on the icons page, the snapshots update follows the special moves update directly. Instead, this undefined icon has been pushed before the special moves icon.

So, this made me think that Nintendo had planned on putting the E for All update the day after Sonic's confirmation.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here's another theory involving the update icons.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/list/old_list09.html

Now look at where the update about E for All is placed.

Next, look at this page:

http://www.multiverseworks.com/smashicon2b.php

As you can see, like I said earlier, between Sonic's video update and his special moves are two icons not available, meaning, at these two points updates were supposed to be made which didn't have icons. However, we can see from the list that between Sonic's video update and his special moves update there is just one icon-less update, the Nintendo Fall 2007 conference video.

Also, between Sonic's special moves and the taking snapshots update, there supposed to be the E for All update, yet on the icons page, the snapshots update follows the special moves update directly. Instead, this undefined icon has been pushed before the special moves icon.

So, this made me think that Nintendo had planned on putting the E for All update the day after Sonic's confirmation.
or that one place is just incorrect...what is This site anyway?

dragoncrescent

Smash Rookie
Possibly Mr. Game and Watch's new world logo? The Game and Watch galleries used to resemble DSes, and Sakurai mentions something about a flat world...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Possibly Mr. Game and Watch's new world logo? The Game and Watch galleries used to resemble DSes, and Sakurai mentions something about a flat world...
Only SOME Game & Watch games featured two screens, not all.

At any rate, the "Icon Theory" is now officially dead. And good riddance. :chuckle:

(What's wrong with SmashBoards as of late BTW? All the traffic crashing the server or something?)

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
Because obviously Link is just a random Legend of Zelda character.
What, he's the main character? Why would you omit that little tidbit of information?

If the character in place of "Zeruda no Densetsu" would be Ganondorf or even Malon or something, then yes, this would be completely baseless.
But the way it is, the probability that this theory could work so well is just twice as large as the probability that a list without such deviations would have formed completely through coincidence.
I'm no expert on calculating probability, but this only means you can choose from either the franchise name or the name of the main character. Which is either 2 or even 1 letter out of about 25. (Not counting c.)
I think it's time for a reality check. If they're going to organize this alphabetically (by English standards, which is also full of LOL), they're going to choose ONE ****ING METHOD. They're not gonna decide to use the main character name for some, and the franchise name for others. The alphabetical claim is nonsense. They're not going to represent the Mario universe with "Super Mario" while representing Zelda with "Link." Every single name would be the name of the main character OR!!! the name of the franchise. None of this pick-and-choose bull**** to make it give the illusion of alphabetical. It needs to be consistent. Without consistency, it's nothing but a funny coincidence.

Why is Zelda represented by Link but Pocket Monsters isn't represented by Pikachu? Why is it Super Mario and not just Mario, if Zelda is just Link?

Also, I'm in no way refuting the "64>Melee>Brawl" pattern. That one is obvious without bending the words to your own will.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't the DS in Japan called Nintendo DS, just like America and etc?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
or that one place is just incorrect...what is This site anyway?
Nope.

I've created this way before the Sonic updates were made. After the special moves update I decided to look again, since there were two updates between the movie update and the special moves update at that time.

If you look at the icon number for the updates, you can see that the icons are in the right spot.

C00P

Smash Cadet
It's gonna be the doctor from brain age! YES! OMFG his final smash will be the worlds hardest sudoku game. If you get it wrong ... you die... I KNEW IT... forget Mega Man i'm gonna beat your ***** through memorizing then adding numbers you *******s.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
hmm... well, the icon theory isn't dead YET.

See, this thing came out AFTER Sonic. There's still one potential 3rd party member to make it in according to the icon theory (Megaman).

It could break down to: N64, Melee, Brawl, Crossover, N/A(like Nintendo DS Pictochat). That means the alphabetical order would reset one more time for the N/A stuff.

But seeing as having any character with the DS icon to represent it is in my opinion highly unlikely, this might mean that animal crossing may not have a rep character after all.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
hmm... well, the icon theory isn't dead YET.

See, this thing came out AFTER Sonic. There's still one potential 3rd party member to make it in according to the icon theory (Megaman).

It could break down to: N64, Melee, Brawl, Crossover, N/A(like Nintendo DS Pictochat). That means the alphabetical order would reset one more time for the N/A stuff.

But seeing as having any character with the DS icon to represent it is in my opinion highly unlikely, this might mean that animal crossing may not have a rep character after all.
The icon theory is dead.

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
I think it's time for a reality check. If they're going to organize this alphabetically (by English standards, which is also full of LOL), they're going to choose ONE ****ING METHOD. They're not gonna decide to use the main character name for some, and the franchise name for others. The alphabetical claim is nonsense. They're not going to represent the Mario universe with "Super Mario" while representing Zelda with "Link." Every single name would be the name of the main character OR!!! the name of the franchise. None of this pick-and-choose bull**** to make it give the illusion of alphabetical. It needs to be consistent. Without consistency, it's nothing but a funny coincidence.

Why is Zelda represented by Link but Pocket Monsters isn't represented by Pikachu? Why is it Super Mario and not just Mario, if Zelda is just Link?

Also, I'm in no way refuting the "64>Melee>Brawl" pattern. That one is obvious without bending the words to your own will.
Ask someone not interested in video gaming to alphabetize these 20 franchises. Odds on, if they're not rigourous, they'll end up using "Super Mario" and "Link" and the like.

That's likely how this was done: someone non-rigourous and disinterested doing the site, likely a programmer.

You say its inconsistent, but how is that so? Considering the scenario I just outlined is likely how the list came into being, the theory is consistant with that.

And this does constitute a pattern. It;'s not functional - every franchise maps to two different names - but it fits with how the list was likely made. To say it doesn't make sense ignores the reality of the situation.

And calling it a coincidence ignores the probability of the thing. The probability in us deriving a pattern from a random list is microscopic. I calulated a ceiling value for this earlier in the thread. There's no doubt this pattern was intentional, because to argue it's random is to ignore the deafening odds.

DS is such an odd one compared to the other 19 known franchises, I'm not too concerned about the theory. There's a hundred different rational explanations as to why its there at 21.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
The icon theory is dead.
*sigh* I can't take you seriously unless you can tell me how my reasoning is wrong.

Ask someone not interested in video gaming to alphabetize these 20 franchises. Odds on, if they're not rigourous, they'll end up using "Super Mario" and "Link" and the like.

That's likely how this was done: someone non-rigourous and disinterested doing the site, likely a programmer.

You say its inconsistent, but how is that so? Considering the scenario I just outlined is likely how the list came into being, the theory is consistant with that.

And this does constitute a pattern. It;'s not functional - every franchise maps to two different names - but it fits with how the list was likely made. To say it doesn't make sense ignores the reality of the situation.

And calling it a coincidence ignores the probability of the thing. The probability in us deriving a pattern from a random list is microscopic. I calulated a ceiling value for this earlier in the thread. There's no doubt this pattern was intentional, because to argue it's random is to ignore the deafening odds.

DS is such an odd one compared to the other 19 known franchises, I'm not too concerned about the theory. There's a hundred different rational explanations as to why its there at 21.
This is true. If it fits so well, how can it be considered terribly false? People have to admit it makes some sense. not even the DS icon has disproven it so far. It would have if it were an icon before Sonic, earlier in the list.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Finally this BS can die...

EDIT: @Pyras- how can you not see its wrong? if it was right Pictochat would be at 19 between Pit and Sonic.....

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Finally this BS can die...

EDIT: @Pyras- how can you not see its wrong? if it was right Pictochat would be at 19 between Pit and Sonic.....
Not dead, if there's no character involved then it's likely in its own section.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would like to add that the Icon theory never said 20 was the maximum number of characters, if that's what people believe why it's disproved

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Not dead, if there's no character involved then it's likely in its own section.
oh so now theres a new section to accomodate one more symbol? then why didnt Little Mac get a symbol?

the only explanation would be that it stands for "touch generations" but i doubt that cuz that symbol is mostly used to represent the nintendo DS handheld as a whole, not just one line of games....

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I don't know about the theory being dead, but for me, this most certainly convinces me that there's not 100% certainty of there being and Animal Crossing character, or a G&W character.

Doesn't mean there won't be, but now i'm not as sure as i was.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion

is the logo for touch generations.

plainy refers to the Nintendo DS in my opinion.

Thats why this symbol is ON THE ACTUAL DS ITSELF, the Touch Generations symbol wouldnt be on there....

Checktheir website if you dont believe me, thats their logo, not the one on the DS and the DOJO

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Pyras- how can you not see its wrong? if it was right Pictochat would be at 19 between Pit and Sonic.....
It's not a pictochat symbol. It's NINTENDO DS symbol.

It's also NOT a franchise, it's a CONSOLE. So it doesn't fit into 19 between Pit and Sonic. It's a reset of the alphabetical order like the previous 2 before it, for N/A icons.

oh so now theres a new section to accomodate one more symbol? then why didnt Little Mac get a symbol?
Lil Mac didn't get a stage.

so far EVERY stage not including the regular battlefield has an icon.

the only explanation would be that it stands for "touch generations" but i doubt that cuz that symbol is mostly used to represent the nintendo DS handheld as a whole, not just one line of games....
This is assuming that the alphabetical order continues after sonic, but it very well could just reset again like it did for Melee and Brawl, and go into NEW territory: non-game-specific icons, like the DS icon.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
It's not a pictochat symbol. It's NINTENDO DS symbol.

It's also NOT a franchise, it's a CONSOLE. So it doesn't fit into 19 between Pit and Sonic. It's a reset of the alphabetical order like the previous 2 before it, for N/A icons.

Lil Mac didn't get a stage.

so far EVERY stage not including the regular battlefield has an icon.

This is assuming that the alphabetical order continues after sonic, but it very well could just reset again like it did for Melee and Brawl, and go into NEW territory: non-game-specific icons, like the DS icon.
This sounds like a bunch of BS to me. There is an exception to every "rule" in this theory.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This sounds like a bunch of BS to me. There is an exception to every "rule" in this theory.
HOw 'bout the fact no one said there was going to be only 20 series...

and the fact I believed the Alphabetic part was BS all the time...

The only thing that matters is it goes in the order of N64, Melee, than Brawl franchises

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
HOw 'bout the fact no one said there was going to be only 20 series...

and the fact I believed the Alphabetic part was BS all the time...

The only thing that matters is it goes in the order of N64, Melee, than Brawl franchises
im not arguing with the fact that no one said 20 was limit. where did you get that from?

and i agree, that ONLY order is the 64, melee, brawl order.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
im not arguing with the fact that no one said 20 was limit. where did you get that from?

and i agree, that ONLY order is the 64, melee, brawl order.
Well yes, and that's the only part I have agreed on all along...

The rest was bull...

I tried to argue but they just clung to it...

However, I still think this is great proof Game & Watch will return, or at least have some kind of major representation to include his icon

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Well yes, and that's the only part I have agreed on all along...

The rest was bull...

I tried to argue but they just clung to it...

However, I still think this is great proof Game & Watch will return, or at least have some kind of major representation to include his icon
QFT. We're on the same page

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
QFT. We're on the same page
Well then...ok. BTW, I don't believe there will be a DS character, I just thought it was worth discussing over...Everything is based on various assumptions anyway and we have no proof there will ne NO DS character yet

Top Bottom