• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

infomon

Smash Scientist
If this isn't Yoshi I will eat my hat.
vids plz kthx :laugh:

Guys this week is totally Ice Climbers, as they are the most technical character in the game. Yes, that is a bold statement. But I doubt many of you have any idea how complicated their game is, requiring the most delicate timing and control stick tilting, if you want to be in full control of both characters.

When the ICs are together, they can 0-death chaingrab any character in the game (except another pair of ICs :laugh:), under most circumstances (stage hazards can interfere). Many know this but don't realize how much diversity and skill is involved. There's a whole myriad of different chaingrabs, with different advantages, disadvantages, tradeoffs, etc. For example, you need to use special chaingrabs to get across strange terrain like Green Hill Zone. The chaingrabs have different timings and/or spacings against all the different characters. Think about this carefully; walking and/or pivoting Nana juuust into position while making sure that Popo throws at the right time for you to catch with Nana; etc.

This is technical skill that is rare and difficult in Brawl, and particular only to the Ice Climbers.

IMO, the chaingrabs are actually the easier part of the IC technical game. People think that desyncing is easy in Brawl, but noone yet uses desyncing to nearly its full potential. It can be easy to desync the ICs but setting up combos and tricks with them both is tedious and extremely situation-specific; even mindgame-specific, like positioning Nana so your opponent thinks she's vulnerable so you can punish with Popo.... you have to be able to read your opponent very well along with having a mastery of Nana's AI.

These are "tricks galore" as the hint says. Also it talks about a player sweeping the scene and becoming well-known; remember Chu Dat in Melee? This hasn't happened yet in Brawl, the top IC people are doing well but there's so much depth to the ICs that nothing groundbreaking has come of their game yet.

People here are saying that this character must be thought of as terrible. Not true. The hint talks about "blatantly obvious potential" and that the character is "scary". To know that taking a single grab will cost you a stock is pretty intimidating. Your entire strategy has to change. But most ICs aren't good enough for this to be a large factor, and ICs just aren't as popular a character as they deserve.

Also the whole "won't stop until they prove their point" thing seems Yoshi-ish too, since I know that my fellow Yoshi players are pretty vocal about him... there's a standing joke that tier discussion should be renamed Yoshi discussion.
:laugh: Yes, and in this thread. This is the only reason I think Yoshi has a chance this week. But I'm pretty convinced it's Ice Climbers; Sonic's a possible second IMO, if you actually follow his tech game it's pretty deep as well, but noone is as technical as ICs.

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
Clearly IC.

Olimar has like no technical ability needed.

Pokemon trainer is not about being technical, but knowing a lot about each character, each match-ups and how to change Pokémon.

Wario's potential has already been revealed, so it can't be.

Yoshi... could be, but I see no technical ability needed, unless there is something I miss.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Lol yes it's Yoshi. The hint said something about the mains being very dedicated and not stopping bringing up points but are yet to prove themselves?
That kinda gave it away.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think they'll keep giving hints that may suggest yoshi until it's down to just one character-just to spite the yoshi advocates. Then when the second to last week comes, they'll just flat at say it's not yoshi, without a clever hint or anything. :)

Mmac

Smash Lord
It also says that "This character can be quite scary to some people."

Ice Climbers are pretty much scary to everyone! Yoshi is only scary to some people because of some techniques like Chaingrabbing (Half the roster), 0% Death's (Most noticeably, Snake and Falco) , or just naturally overpower them (Samus and Jigglypuff). However this only affects about half the people, and Yoshi still gets overpowered by some matchups (Marth, G&W, Lucario)

Timbers

check me out
Lol yes it's Yoshi. The hint said something about the mains being very dedicated and not stopping bringing up points but are yet to prove themselves?
That kinda gave it away.
That's the only reason I'd consider it to be Yoshi lol.

Everything else screams ICs though.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
definitely ice climbers, they take the most technical skill in brawl.

if not for the technical bit, the hint would sound a LOT like pokemon trainer as well.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Ok, NOW if it isn't Pit, I will eat my jacket... unless the hint randomly changes again.
My jacket lives to see another day.

This week's hint certainly sounds like a Yoshi or a DK. `\(o_O)/` @ DK, though. I don't know the character at all. I've just heard he's great, but have yet to see it myself.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It also says that "This character can be quite scary to some people."

Ice Climbers are pretty much scary to everyone!
Well no, not quite. Marth outspaces them pretty brutally, and so does MK who excels at separating them. Also, ICs don't scare ICs; that game is entirely different since most of their techniques are out the window! :D

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well no, not quite. Marth outspaces them pretty brutally, and so does MK who excels at separating them. Also, ICs don't scare ICs; that game is entirely different since most of their techniques are out the window! :D
They still have the "Grabbed = Death" Factor, and I don't think Ditto's count

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
WTF. I'm not scared of IC. Also, NO ONE would be scared of Yoshi.

And Yoshi's hint should read something like "Has eggs. That's all".

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
WTF. I'm not scared of IC. Also, NO ONE would be scared of Yoshi.
Yoshi's CG leads into an inescapable Fair meteor spike on about what 6 characters (and then more stuff for a total of 13 chars)? His CG also puts Snake in a horrendous recovery situation causing snake to be forced to take damage regardless of what he does.
Ganondorf is dead at 40%, squirtle as well, Sheik, Falco etc. MK dead at about 50%.

Except for Falco and MK and I'd include wolf, everyone who gets Grab Released Spike is not very hard for yoshi in the first place to contend with.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
They still have the "Grabbed = Death" Factor, and I don't think Ditto's count
MK loves playing ICs. They can't do anything remotely scary when they're seperated, and that's REALLY easy to do with MK.

Also, NO ONE would be scared of Yoshi.
*Raises hand, looks and sees no one else doing it, puts it down*

Personally, I'd think it was Yoshi, but a lot of people seemed to be on the "Yoshi sucks" bandwagon instead of the "A talented Yoshi can really be something" one. Thus, I'd say it is propably ICs. Sorry Yoshis!

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
It's a character that is relatively unknown to smashers,

Everyone knows IC's and their crazy chain grabs so that kinda puts them out right there >.>

I'm thinking it's going to be
Peach
Ness
Yoshi
Jiggs
or Lucas

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
It's a character that is relatively unknown to smashers,

Everyone knows IC's and their crazy chain grabs so that kinda puts them out right there >.>

I'm thinking it's going to be
Peach
Ness
Yoshi
Jiggs
or Lucas

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I think it depends on which aspect you're looking at most heavily.

Technical skill? Ice Climbers

Unrealized potential? Pokemon Trainer

Dedicated mains? Yoshi

All of these are true for all three of these characters, but this is what each one is MOST known for.
I'm going to go with Yoshi because even though I despise him, I recognize the threat he can pose.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Waste of time
My theory didn't hold a single drop of truth. :urg: Sad tiem nao...

I say Yoshi for now, since he seems to fit the hint better than ICs (for the most part) though I'm going to think this through a bit more...and maybe actually get a hint right for once. >_>

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Yoshi fits the hint, but so does Luigi, and the fact that almost nobody has guessed Luigi just goes to show you how much of an unknown he is. That said, my guess is Luigi.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yay! Right again :D yay next hint came up fast :). and SP, @ what you said about Pit's hint being too obvious and how you didn't know how to make the hint, I think it really was fine :) It fitted a couple characters almost completely, except for may be that easily gimpable recovery part. That's the only part that was the 'tiebreaker' in my decision which made me say Pit and not Yoshi.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Sorry. Let me explain why it's Yoshi.

This character can be quite scary to some people.
A good Yoshi is terrifying. What's more, because most people never see a good Yoshi in action, it takes them off guard.

Relatively unknown to most smashers, this character has tricks galore that can take people by surprise when they play against someone with actual skill,
Someone who knows what they're doing with Yoshi and mastered their advanced techniques has many options availible.

but finding those people can be difficult as there aren't many.
Yoshi's advanced techniques, as well as timing of the chain grab, are some of the hardest skills in the game to master.

This character is the embodiment of potential right now, as it is only a matter of time until a breakout player starts sweeping the big names and will make everyone know who that player is.
Not many people dare to go to a tournament with Yoshi, simply because of fear that they'll lose. That's why there's been no big news about a specific Yoshi player recently. Also, it says that they have potential right now. Yoshi has plenty of potential seen right now. Ice Climber's potential was seen long before.

However, tapping into the character's potential will prove to be a difficult task, as the character demands technical skill, which is rare and difficult in Brawl.
Yoshi has a few advanced techniques, as well as a chaingrab, that are definitely difficult to master.

Despite this blatantly obvious potential, there are still people who think this character isn't going anywhere,
People who haven't looked around at the Yoshi boards don't see the number of advanced techniques, as well as the incredible chaingrab, that can make Yoshi a threat. Most of them are still living in the past when the game was first out and Yoshi was declared to be one of the worst. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY doubts the Ice Climber's potential and how far they'll go.

but the people who use this character are certainly dedicated and won't stop until they prove their point. But we're still waiting for them to prove it.
Have you seen some of the people who play Yoshi? They're conjuring up new techniques all of the time and are always trying to improve him.

I rest my case.

Alopex

Smash Ace
It's Yoshi because the Dragonic Reverse is the only AT in the game that actually requires ludicrous technical skill from the player. Do you know how many people can effectively DR during a match and make it work? Zero. If even one person could do it consistently enough, we'd see them in tourneys, because the DR is a wavedash.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@Pieisthebest - do you mean that hint 22 is yoshi? 21 is already pit lol.

OK THIS IS YOSHI. cant be olimar. lucas has no potentail. ( i dont think he does... if he does then what is it?! ) PT is... no potential. fox is none either. DK is figured out. Mario may be. Luigi may be, but he doesn't have many tricks except for comboes and such.

^^Agreed entirely! IC's potential has already been used up or used up almost all the way. They've been played and feared since their ICGs were figured out.

But... whats the exact definition of a 'technical' AT? something that improves a 'physical' movement or what?

Edit: @Alopex - There are actually a couple people i know who use the DR at least a couple times each match. One is Bigman, and unless if im thinking of the wrong person, Chaco also is able to use it once in a while. But ya there really isn't many other people i know who are really good at using it.

i guess ill check the lucas boards to see if they have potential

Top Bottom