• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash...a waste?

Vts

Smash Champion
smash isn't a waste its just a different form of getting together and socializing.

i love the game to death but i love how unlike halo i get to sit beside the person i'm playing learn more about them and have fun with them doing other stuff.

i saw this video when it first came out and i thought he raised good points.

he and i are very different i play videos games to meet new people who have the same interests that i do.

i mean its great to go and play spots and i love playing basket ball, soccer , and paintball as much as i love to play video games, its just much easier to play video games with others when its bad weather or have odd number of ppl it makes it harder.

I'm a very social person although when o socialize with are people who are on different schedules or live far away.

its how u spend ur time with video games that can be bad.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
It almost seemed like this guy was trying to discourage people from playing games all together. The video was mostly directed to the people that make gaming their only priority in life. I have to admit, I make smash a high priority in my life but I don't let it get in the way of studying, family, or friendship. You just have to know how to make time for things and create balance, which is something I struggle with but I am still living and learning.

If it wasn't for smash I would probably have a really horrible social life, and through the community I have made some great friends. Smash has also gave me a different outlook on life (but one that hasn't really changed much), so I don't think playing it is a waste at all.

Hax

Smash Champion
while videogames can be deadly in the hands of an irresponsible person, they can lay the foundation for social, competitive gaming such as smash which can bring money and excitement into your life.

i will admit that i have experienced both the pros and the cons that can come with excessive gaming. i have a ton of fun playing smash; i grew up playing it with my elementary/middle school friends and i recall my discovery of smash's depth and competitive community was a huge turning point in my life. its an amazing feeling to learn that your favorite childhood game is the greatest competitive video game in the world; its an even better feeling to be one of the best at it. going to tournaments with my crew on saturday is almost too fun - to the point where i will miss out on social events (other than getting p*ssy LOL) with my non-smash friends on saturdays so i can go to a smash tournament. it has raised my standards for being entertained so high that some of my favorite childhood activities such as reading books (a very beneficial hobby) no longer interest me. during the period in which i began to excel in smash (2007-2009) my grades plummeted. rather than studying for tests, i would study smash videos so i could up my game. looking back, i am so thankful this was during middle school/freshman year and that i made it into the amazing school that i did; if i didn't, i never would've forgiven myself. but the video is absolutely right when it says smash and other games can detract from non-gaming achievements, which are what really matter in the long run. imagine the period in which i went pro and ****ed up my grades was sophomore/junior/senior year in high school, and i didn't get into a good college because of it? that could've been the end of my life right there.

on the other hand, smash being such a social game has benefited me in many ways. i've travelled to more states than anyone my age, i've become a member of a community in which i can share my problems with that i wouldn't be able to share with people my age cause they're dumb*ss 15 year olds lol, and i've made maddd bread. i definitely feel like it has benefited me more than it would an 18-20 year old considering at that age college/work consumes the majority of one's life and imo videogames would take away ALOT from productive activities. because i'm a kid i still have alot of free time, so i can't really relate to the rest of you. but looking back i don't regret joining the smash community, and i think if you guys are able to prioritize work/school and maintain a healthy social life outside of video games, then the pros of playing smash will outweigh the remaining cons

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
yeah he pretty much mentions melee being an exception at the end cause it's a community yadda yadda

there are a lot of people who "waste their lives" with games because they are not worth a **** to the general population. some people also don't really care about going to parties and having kids and all that ****. rejects of society can be someone else behind a computer screen, where they are not judged by their appearance. They can be someone else online.

this man who made this may not realize other people are not just like him. especially gets me since he said one of the things he could have been doing was "creating art" and if he doesn't see videogames as an art form, I disagree with him already. Not many do, but that's what I think is wrong with the industry. Well, one of the reasons, anyway.

My opinion of this gentleman is that he is a very normal guy who got too caught up in games, which I have known before (people skip classes / lie to friends to play Modern Warfare 2 and stuff) and he thinks his little epiphany applies to everyone as well, but really, it only applies to him. It could mean something for someone else, I suppose, but it certainly didn't for me. I just see games completely differently than he does.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
i will admit i need to learn to balance smash to school better my grades are slippin :/

it was a 3.7 weighted 3.2 unweighted now its a 2.98 (or something like that) unweighted and 3.58 weighted

however this game has really opened the door for me as well i cant even begin to count how many times ive talked to someone in smash to help me with something going wrong in my life and how many times the advice has worked hell its almost infinite

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Cool vid. Responsability is what it really comes down to. I've played smash almost every weekend for 6 years. My WoW characters had 250 DAYS of play time when I retired them. Yet, I still excelled in school (4.99 HSGPA), I still got into an awesome college, I still have meaningful real life relationships, and I still practice health conscious activities.

Some people let games take over, and some people don't.

Hax

Smash Champion
d*mn rockcrock that's crazy. really good work ethic/time management i'm guessing

null55

Smash Master
here in the 21st century, it's about time we stop making competitive video games a different subject than any other form of competition. when you get into this community, you learn A LOT about yourself and it can very very much change you, FOR THE BETTER potentially, just like everything else in life.

yah and the community is amazing. we're talkin about melee right?

DJRome

Smash Hero
i personally find that the video is quite stupid.

first, the wild generalization of video games is ignorant. not only does it fail to differentiate between the different types of video games that breed different behaviors, but it also fails to connect video games to something else just as relevant: entertainment.

while he does mention the pitfalls of technology, this is a case of singling out a single thing to blame yourself that had you not done so, your life would somehow be different. this is likely untrue. people are what they are, and they will do what they do. children and adults alike find entertainment as their social circumstance can accommodate.

for example, this person played video games for all of his life. however, this same type of personality could have easily watched too much tv, played to many card games, gone out too much to socialize, or any of the millions of forms of entertainment. moreover, he discredits any philosophical notion that those experiences outside of strict economic, social, and academic contexts provide any meaningful addition to one's life. his failure can overwhelmingly be attributed to his lack of drive and a misguided mentality towards his life goals. had video games not existed in his life, another culprit would have taken its place.

the moral of this video is that you must focus your life to accomplish your goals and actively keep those goals in mind when you organize your daily activities. it is not the wish of most people to excel at these video games, but aas a form of entertainment, it is similarly valid when compared to the other choices at hand.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Videogames slightly affected my life long time ago(started around age 10 or 11 idk), but i still have good grades in school. I never could like sports(i played sports, i do best in soccer), but i know i'm not the only one who thought this way. I always talk about videogames back in middle school and in my early years in high school(early 9th grade). It almost felt like it's the only thing i like talking about. Years later in high school, now i think talking about games isn't the only thing i should be obsessed over. So decided to do more activities if i can.

Over the past few years, i looked into the smash community and it looked so friendly and chill. I learned that videogames isn't the main part, but the community makes the game better. Better yet, any games can have a good social community. Sadly. Georgia lacks Smash scenes and there barely any tournys XD im never gonna be able to enter tournys unless i learn how to drive :p

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
I did better my freshman year and sophomore years of college, when all I did most of the time was smash!!!

I had like a 3.9 gpa...since then I've stopped playing games as much, have a gf, etc. and now it's like a 3.7 or 3.8 something!!!

LOLZ

:colorful:

Beanman

Smash Cadet
On sunday I had resolved to not play smash an entire week in the university, in addition to cutting down on time spent online and playing video games in general., Already I have noted vast improvements in my grades, with a high A on a japanese quiz (which I tend to get low B's to high C's on).

Jaff

Smash Rookie
I think he makes a good point. I sense a bit of hostility towards it though. I think its very true that as he says virtual achievements are not the same as real ones. In the end, that level 80 character on WOW or getting a bajillion Xbox Live points wont really get you much outside of that one universe. The idea is to balance that life with other things, social, academic, etc.

while he does mention the pitfalls of technology, this is a case of singling out a single thing to blame yourself that had you not done so, your life would somehow be different. this is likely untrue. people are what they are, and they will do what they do. children and adults alike find entertainment as their social circumstance can accommodate.
I think this is incorrect. While you are right that if not video games, it would have been something else, he is only making a point using what he knows. He didn't spend all his time doing other things, he played games, so that is what he discusses. Otherwise, you are absolutely correct, the moral of the story is find that balance.

there are a lot of people who "waste their lives" with games because they are not worth a **** to the general population. some people also don't really care about going to parties and having kids and all that ****. rejects of society can be someone else behind a computer screen, where they are not judged by their appearance. They can be someone else online.
Also, I would not consider it healthy for someone that you may consider a social reject to hide behind a computer all the time and try to be someone else. It is like the person who goes to parties and gets obliterated every time.

tubes

Smash Ace
Also, I would not consider it healthy for someone that you may consider a social reject to hide behind a computer all the time and try to be someone else. It is like the person who goes to parties and gets obliterated every time.
Hi guys! I'm a social reject! Can I hang with you?

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
I give 84% in everything I do because I don't want people to think I'm emotional, but I'm learning to open up to live life to the fullest with discipline. Here are some quotes that drive my life:

"Work hard, play hard."
-Donald Trump, billionaire

"Die you stupid monkey."
-KillaOR, Smash Ambassador to da World

Purple

Hi guys!
i played brawl and had a 3.5

i played marvel and now i'm at a 4.0

the more broke the game, the better your grade.

true fax

Top Bottom