• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Update 1.10 Coming Friday 7/31!

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
This seems kinda like a leak. I would think Sakurai would want to let us know about something this big in a direct. (Unless this is a trick and we really will get K. Rool)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's funny how it was specifically stated in the Ryu direct that DLC newcomers/charaters would be entirely fan service from that point on, and then he throws us a Mii Fighter costume of the #1 ballot choice. If the DLC is truly fan service, then Sakurai is just toying with us and hinting at K. Rool to try to throw us off, which is reasonable because he would want people to be genuinely surprised about a character's inclusion rather that completely expect it.

We just better get K. Rool.
"#1 Ballot Choice"

There hasn't been an official tally yet.

K. Rool being the number one choice on the Smashboards character discussion boards, or even on a few other nerd gathering sites, does not make him the "#1 Ballot Choice". I haven't put my input into any fan tallies, for example, so they don't account for my vote. And the majority are in my situation.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why would they be using K. rools classic design. if I'm correct, rare designed the original and i think nintendo changed it when they lost the rights. Has nintendo finally got the king back? Correct this if I'm wrong though
Nintendo always 100% owned the rights. They didn't change it because they had to, they changed it because they wanted to.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Now, now people. Before you feel the need to rage like a hive of bees inside an ant hurricane let's just cool down for a moment. This is merely a costume, I don't think it hardly confirms nor denies anything in the future about King Rool.
And speaking of which, don't forget: The Ballout doesn't end until October, so of course they are not going to do any character announcements right now. In the meantime, just keep voting and hoping for your wanted character; if King Rool happens to be the or one of the most wanted he has a realistic chance to make it in. Remember, the ballout is still going on. Don't despair, don't get mad, let's be reasonable. Have a good day.

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
Is Tournament Mode an online only feature? Or will it actually assist TOs? Because there's no point in "official" tournaments if they're online and suffer input lag.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I don't know why this scares so many people, if anything, to me this at least makes it seem as if Nintendo knows fans want K. Rool. It could be teasing it, you never know with Sakurai. I wish people would stop freaking out over anything that happens... :yoshi:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
geez why cant us americans get this july 31. freaking japan gets everything. anyway looks awesome.
Edit: my bad, americans are getting this july 31.

also I wonder if there's gonna be another balance patch. that would be good. I mean all the even numbered updates so far had balance patches. (BUFF MARTH)

Last edited:

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
geez why cant us americans get this july 31. freaking japan gets everything. anyway looks awesome.

also I wonder if there's gonna be another balance patch. that would be good. I mean all the even numbered updates so far had balance patches. (BUFF MARTH)
We're also getting in then...? Go look at the Smash Bros. Facebook page.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
GET YOUR REPLAYS GUYS, THEY WILL BE DELETED TOMORROW.
That will only happen if there is a balance patch.

And I highly doubt there will be one. They are releasing a feature for uploading replays to YouTube tomorrow too, so if they were smart, they would make sure we can use our most recent ones to test the feature.

73V3N

Smash Rookie
"#1 Ballot Choice"

There hasn't been an official tally yet.

K. Rool being the number one choice on the Smashboards character discussion boards, or even on a few other nerd gathering sites, does not make him the "#1 Ballot Choice". I haven't put my input into any fan tallies, for example, so they don't account for my vote. And the majority are in my situation.

Even so, the K. Rool support community is huge, and vocal. Whether or not some people voted doesn't matter as long as those who wanted characters did. Like, if by the time the ballot is over, and a person votes for no one, the already vocal parties have a better chance of their character getting in the game. But yea, there is no formal tally thats a mess up on my part.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
There's some leaks images of a new Dr. Mario stage:

And...

H Y P E B O Y S
OH MY GOD, IS THAT FOR REAL?? GREAT BAY IN SMASH BROS. 4!! YEEEEESSHHH!!! AKLSJDSKLJDOLAKSASKS;SD.

Hype! One of my most beloved stages is going to be back, and with that beautiful musical score as well.
I wonder if it's going to be Wii U only. I can see them making the water around swimmable like in Delfino Plaza. I hope we also get it for the 3DS as well, they would obviously have to leave the water untouched; in other words, the same as it was in Melee.

Edit: Didn't notice it before, but the screenshot of the leak is taken from a 3DS. So if the leak is true, then Great Bay is also coming to the 3DS version, yay!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Even so, the K. Rool support community is huge, and vocal. Whether or not some people voted doesn't matter as long as those who wanted characters did. Like, if by the time the ballot is over, and a person votes for no one, the already vocal parties have a better chance of their character getting in the game. But yea, there is no formal tally thats a mess up on my part.
K. Rool is literally Ridley 2.0.

He's a character that doesn't have much of a natural following, but on Smash communities like this one, he has a fanbase that represents a vocal minority, most of which aren't even fans of the character, they simply bandwagoned him because he was popular in that community for a little while, and because a lot of people are kinda running out of ideas for characters they want in Smash, specifically first party ones. So some of them vote for who's popular, especially since there is even a thread on this very site that is stickied that tells people to do that (which I think is incredibly lame).

And we all know where that kinda situation got Ridley and his fans.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
defiantly gonna get the stages, and my brother is gonna coarse me into getting the chrom outfit

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Evberyone's losing their minds over K Rool's outfit...

Zero f#cks given about Chrom's Mii Fighter outfit....(edit: of course as I post someone actually mentions it)

inb4 Ridley Mii Fighter confirmed...:troll:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's going to be sad seeing Great Bay in the game without :younglinkmelee: in the game. Really, it just doesn't feel right without him.

Also, is their any word on a character reveal on that day?

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
K. Rool is literally Ridley 2.0.

He's a character that doesn't have much of a natural following, but on Smash communities like this one, he has a fanbase that represents a vocal minority, most of which aren't even fans of the character, they simply bandwagoned him because he was popular in that community for a little while, and because a lot of people are kinda running out of ideas for characters they want in Smash, specifically first party ones. So some of them vote for who's popular, especially since there is even a thread on this very site that is stickied that tells people to do that (which I think is incredibly lame).

And we all know where that kinda situation got Ridley and his fans.
I don't think so, King K. Rool has a lot of fans outside of Smash. Also, Ridley has a HUGE following in Metroid communities. Just look up Metroid Database or anything frankly, all of the stuff you're saying doesn't really make any sense imo.

S2

Smash Lord
Oh man, the K. Rool tease is way too much. DK's villain deserves a spot on the roster at this point, maybe next time you king of crocs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think so, King K. Rool has a lot of fans outside of Smash. Also, Ridley has a HUGE following in Metroid communities. Just look up Metroid Database or anything frankly, all of the stuff you're saying doesn't really make any sense imo.
>Implying Metroid is huge itself in today's gaming space
>Implying K. Rool would be especially well known to today's gamers

Ridley and K. Rool are mostly only supported by people who are stuck in the 90's and have no other Nintendo characters left to ask for.

In K. Rool's case it's even worse - I like DKC myself, but I never cared for K. Rool. In fact, I completely forgot about him, as I felt he was bland and uninspired as a villain (and Nintendo seemed to agree with me when they basically kicked him out of the DK games over the last few years).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
for the king

1 meta knight tease

2 this before a direct. smells fishy to show the king suit early

3 I think sakurai knows dang well that we want the king the most and hes pulling are strings again you all remember that zero suit samus stunt he did.

4 if there is secretly a character ready in this update and its the king it would involve ko the mii suit version of him. (but it could be anybody)

those are my words on the king

oh by the way to point this out

this is from the data dumb
http://nintendonews.com/2015/01/dr-mario-swapnote-stage-super-smash-bros/
the dr Mario stage

do you notice something about that article

they also found rythem icon there (rythem heaven rep icon) on it

in other words

I think the dr Mario stage leak is also a hint that

this may also have leaked a rythem heaven rep character/stage

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how it was specifically stated in the Ryu direct that DLC newcomers/charaters would be entirely fan service from that point on, and then he throws us a Mii Fighter costume of the #1 ballot choice. If the DLC is truly fan service, then Sakurai is just toying with us and hinting at K. Rool to try to throw us off, which is reasonable because he would want people to be genuinely surprised about a character's inclusion rather that completely expect it.

We just better get K. Rool.
i don't mean to be rude, but what is your source for k rool being number 1?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
That will only happen if there is a balance patch.

And I highly doubt there will be one. They are releasing a feature for uploading replays to YouTube tomorrow too, so if they were smart, they would make sure we can use our most recent ones to test the feature.
Sakurai has stated in the last direct that we would be able to upload old replays. So in short, if you saved your replays and never deleted them, you get a cookie for patience.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
That Chrom Mii looks right awesome!

Anyhow, I'd just like to say that the K. Rool costume doesn't necessarily disconfirm K. Rool himself. The Mii costumes of Meta Knight and other playable characters render that argument irrelevant.

Can't wait to see what else they have in store. I must say, I wasn't expecting this update to be so early.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
Well then, I was tired of basically everyone requesting K. Rool, because imo he wouldn't be unique. The characters of Gunvolt, Shovel Knight, Isaac and Wolf would be much better additions. Not trying to start a flame war, or offend anyone. Just stating what I think. And that also means that I must state that the Chrom Mii Fighter costume looks closest to the original character out of any costumes.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
Is Tournament Mode an online only feature? Or will it actually assist TOs? Because there's no point in "official" tournaments if they're online and suffer input lag.
You can't use best of 3 sets or have double elimination tourneys, so it wouldn't help anyway. None of the other games had tourney modes that actually helped

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
>Implying Metroid is huge itself in today's gaming space
>Implying K. Rool would be especially well known to today's gamers
>implying you know how to greentext

But please, tell me how that argument holds up when Smash includes characters like ROB and Mr. Game & Watch.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
No YouTube upload or Tourney Mode hype? Everyone's talking about crocodiles...

Personally, I can't WAIT for Tourney Mode. I've been wanting it since release and the fact you can join other peoples' tourneys is amazing. Come on, July 31st, come faster!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

But please, tell me how that argument holds up when Smash includes characters like ROB and Mr. Game & Watch.
R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch contributed majorly to gaming as a whole (saved the industry and first handheld games, respectively). K. Rool and Ridley did not.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180

G&W is Nintendo's first character and R.O.B...I don't know why Nintendo likes bringing back a failed peripheral for the NES...better comparison imo would be Duck Hunt, a character who's been in one game that's old af and has no relevance. Sure it was a hit on the NES but so was DKC and people want more villains and more DK characters in general. Not trying to bash on any fans of Duck Hunt, but the character choices Nintendo makes can be...questionable at times.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Because they represent important eras in Nintendo history, while K. Rool and Ridley are just "the big bad reptile bad guy of X franchise". Sakurai has already said how it's easier to justify representing a brand new franchise than an existing one, since it's more likely that character will have more unique qualities.

They are actually more well known than you'd think, too. Mr. Game & Watch was actually one of the first Nintendo characters I knew. I had one of the Game & Watch Gallery packs on the Game Boy Colour.

G&W is Nintendo's first character and R.O.B...I don't know why Nintendo likes bringing back a failed peripheral for the NES...better comparison imo would be Duck Hunt, a character who's been in one game that's old af and has no relevance. Sure it was a hit on the NES but so was DKC and people want more villains and more DK characters in general. Not trying to bash on any fans of Duck Hunt, but the character choices Nintendo makes can be...questionable at times.
R.O.B actually saved gaming. He was bundled with the NES, and people bought the NES because you basically got a cool robot toy with it. This was back when sales of all video game consoles and software was crashing and burning.

This was back in a time when games were still considered to just be kids toys, so it was a perfect marketing strategy, even if R.O.B didn't get much use in the games themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom