• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Speculation Chart [WE UPDATE NOW]

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Paper Mario is with the Mario series already. Spin-offs to the Mario series (Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi's Mansion, etc.) will all be under the Mario label.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
All right, even though I know these guys have no chance in hell, I'm gonna toss em out there seeing as how they ARE Pre-Pikmin era. (and personal favorites of mine)

For the NES category, Hal Bailman of Air Fortress, an NES SHMUP/platformer that was Hal Labs's first game, and if I'm correct in identifying a bunch of ties between the two, may have served as the inspiration for Kid Icarus Uprising.

And for the SNES category, Tinstar from his self titled game, a 3rd person shooter that used the Super Scope with a fantastic soundtrack.

I don't know exactly what deems a character to be eligible for this list, but seeing as how stuff like Dion, Jack, and Max are apparently considered worthy enough it can't be too much. Other obscure pre-Pikmin characters not yet on the list include Hakkun of Sutte Hakkun, Mr. Stevenson of Gumshoe, Cupit of Sennen Kazoku, and The Giants from Doshin the Giant.

I realize none of these characters are likely in the slightest, but IIRC they all received mentions as stickers in Brawl, meaning they can't be completely forgotten. And if characters like Yuyuki's Goku and the Marvelous Trio are important enough to deserve consideration, we've really gotta be all inclusive, don't we?

D

Deleted member

You point out Yuyuki's Goku and Marvelous Trio, but don't see that Hakkun is on the same list as them, nor see that the non Retro list HAS Doshin/Jashin?
Do you like, have selective reading or something?

Also, I KEEP ****ING SAYING PRE-PIKMIN!!!! DO PEOPLE NOT READ?!? SENNEN KAZOKU IS FROM 2005! THAT'S 4 YEARS AFTER PIKMIN!

Next person who suggests a post-Pikmin character kills the entire chart. I mean it. First few times were acceptable, but it's ridiculous at this point. -_-

EDIT: Now that I calmed down a bit, I will address that I've completely forgotten Hal Labs characters for the Retros, and thus they will be added.
This means Hal Bailman, Lolo, Lolo & Lala, Rooks, and 'Gator (though I question this last one) will be included.
EDIT 2: I question Tin Star due to not being developed by Nintendo....as for Mr. Stevenson, I forgot about him, so he will be added too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok... Do we move onto the post-Pikmin stuff soon before GY goes completely bananas?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If them not being in the Chronicle and being listed as being published by HAL and not Nintendo in the VC are anything to go by (as well as the fact that Nintendo didn't own HAL during the period when those IPs came out), I'd say Nintendo doesn't own any of HAL's retro IPs, therefore they'd technically count as third-party.

And before people say Lolo and Lala appeared in Kirby games, that was Lololo and Lalala, who were obviously based on the former two, but aren't the same.

D

Deleted member

If them not being in the Chronicle and being listed as being published by HAL and not Nintendo in the VC are anything to go by (as well as the fact that Nintendo didn't own HAL during the period when those IPs came out), I'd say Nintendo doesn't own any of HAL's retro IPs, therefore they'd technically count as third-party.

And before people say Lolo and Lala appeared in Kirby games, that was Lololo and Lalala, who were obviously based on the former two, but aren't the same.
That's what's strange to me as well, as I thought HAL was a Nintendo subsidiary, which meant they own everything HAL makes.
I guess the closest thing to Lolo and Lala then would be Lololo and Lalala as a Kirby rep. Pretty sure Nintendo owns them at least.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also unrelated, but the names for the captains in Pikmin 3 have been revealed.

The small blue one is named Alph.
The large green one is named Charlie.
And the pink chick is named Brittany.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I'm only just noticing this. They're named as if to be A B C. *facepalm* That took a while.

D

Deleted member

I saw. They shall be edited accordingly.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and add Nabbit to the Mario characters after what the Nintendo Direct showed.

And since Nintendo and Sega are in a business partnership with the Sonic series, perhaps instead of Sonic being lumped with other 3rd Parties, I'll have him separate when it comes time for them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For the third parties we should have Metal Gear + Sonic in one category, potential Namco rep in another and a general one that includes Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

I was just going to put Snake and Sonic with the 3rd Parties in general (same with Namco characters), since we didn't know their fate for this game.

But now it'd be safe to assume Sonic's staying.

Also, Brawl in the Family has betrayed me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was just going to put Snake and Sonic with the 3rd Parties in general (same with Namco characters), since we didn't know their fate for this game.

But now it'd be safe to assume Sonic's staying.

Also, Brawl in the Family has betrayed me.
Well given it was the source of her recent popularity... Plus I think Meta Knight would agree with you.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyway back to business, do we cover post Melee characters or do we go to third parties?

D

Deleted member

We will move on to the next category once I'm finished updating my chart files.

EDIT: Next category is "Post-Pikmin but Pre-Brawl franchises" a.k.a. "Series Sakurai said didn't have a suitable fighter". Shortened as "Other 2".

So pretty much from the Assist series we got:
The Legendary Starfy
Jam with the Band
Drill Dozer

Outside them, we have:
Eternal Darkness
Geist
Chibi-Robo
Miis
Tomato Adventure
Sennen Kazoku
Rhythm Heaven

Any others? Remember that they have to have debuted in-between Pikmin and Brawl.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'll repeat in large letters

CHARACTERS THAT DEBUTED AFTER PIKMIN AND BEFORE BRAWL.

I don't have any off the top of my head but let me look that up. I'm sure there's at least one. Dr. Kawishima perhaps?

D

Deleted member

I don't think a floating head would be feasible at all.
I'm not looking for just characters from series that debuted after Pikmin, but characters that can be seen as feasible despite what Sakurai had said. Otherwise, I would have added the Nintendog.

Ah, forgot a series; Magical Starsign/Vacation.

Possibly Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents, but not sure if their characters would be "feasible".
A smaller version of Warrior Mech Gauss could work too, I guess.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i would suggest another code, and the kyle hyde games but you may not think puzzle game characters should be on the chart (apart from layton)

especially as you said feasible

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Quedan/Elite Beat Agents are all about doing the impossible with music. Is being a smash character one of those things?

I could see a moveset for Ashley but I can't see her in the game. Maybe just add her to keep everyone happy.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I read the previous page and now understand G. Yui's anger.How could anyone have known we were talking about pre-pikmin characters if he didn't state that in the first post? Or change the title to what the current discussion is about?
Change the thread title to Post Pikmin pre Brawl... why cant we just discuss all the characters post Brawl? Now that the Elite Beat agents and Chibi Robo have been added.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I read the previous page and now understand G. Yui's anger.How could anyone have known we were talking about pre-pikmin characters if he didn't state that in the first post? Or change the title to what the current discussion is about?
Maybe you should just read the thread.

D

Deleted member

well i would suggest another code, and the kyle hyde games but you may not think puzzle game characters should be on the chart (apart from layton)

especially as you said feasible
I guess I could add Ashley Robbins and Kyle Hyde for good measure.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing, should the Quedan (SPELLING!!!) and Elite Beat Agents count as separate or just have a slash between them. Brawl thought they were different enough to have separate trophies but IF they end up in the game I think it'll be like Wario with 6 Q colours and 6 EBA colours.

D

Deleted member

One thing, should the Quedan (SPELLING!!!) and Elite Beat Agents count as separate or just have a slash between them. Brawl thought they were different enough to have separate trophies but IF they end up in the game I think it'll be like Wario with 6 Q colours and 6 EBA colours.
Considering that they are actual different characters (EBA is actually a Westernized sequel to Ouendan) given that Ouendan 2 in Japan features an EBA Mode where the EBA can be downloaded as characters to use, using them as costumes would not work.

Especially when you consider it's one major character (Ryuta Ippongi) vs. a major character with back-up (Agent J with Agents Derek and Morris) as well as the characters being completely different in style used.

Another addition will be Aisya from that ASH game.

So here is the list:

Starfy

Barbara the Bat

Jill

Alexandra Rovias

John Raimi

Chibi-Robo

Mii

Will-O-Wisp Student (male or female character of Magical Starsign/Vacation)
Mokka
Miss Madeleine

DeMille

Cupit

Karate Joe
Marshall

Ashley Robbins
Kyle Hyde
(Same universe)

Ryuta Ippongi
Elite Beat Agents
(Same universe)

Warrior Mech Gauss

Aisya

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Just lookin over the trophy's in Brawl now scrounging for characters. The Hunters from the DS game Metroid Prime Hunters look cool and could beef up the metroid roster (after Ridley of course.) Meh...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
WAIT. WAIT. WAIT. WHAT IS THIS ABOUT NINTENDO DOING SOMETHING WITH SONIC GAMES? HWHAT?!?!

I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE JUST **** MYSELF.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo has formed a partnership with SEGA for exclusivity to three Sonic games.

Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, Sonic Lost Worlds, and a currently unannounced title.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Nintendo should just buy Sonic already. Seriously.

Exciting news though. What do we think this means for Sonic in Smash now? I'd say it's pretty solid now.

And possibly, maybe even for Snake.

D

Deleted member

Alright, next category;
"Post-Brawl series", otherwise known as "Other 3".

This should be easy.
I've already decided upon the following:

Captain Rainbow
Frey (Zangeki no Reginleiv)
Freia (Zangeki no Reginleiv)
Frey and Freia (Zangeki no Reginleiv)
Shulk (Xenoblade)
Zael (The Last Story)
Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
Raymond Bryce (Disaster: Day of Crisis)
Monita (Nintendo Land)
Red Hero (Wonderful 101)
Welt (Soma Bringer)
Fossil Fighter
T-Rex (Fossil Fighters)
Sakurai Samurai
Dillon (Rolling Western)
Mallo (Pushmo)
Tempo (HarmoKnight)
Nintendouji
Nikki (Swapnote)
X Protagonist

Anyone else? I don't think there were any other series.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe the "trainer" of Fossil Fighters either copying Pokemon Trainer or running about the stage themself having to dig up fossils to use.

Non-specific Action Figure could be in his own category for character that Nintendo technically owns but haven't appeared in any game.

Top Bottom