• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've heard it pronounced

Key oh ger

and

Kai oh ger

I don't think you could pronounce it K yoe grr

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I always pronounced it Key Oh ger

But I believe in the anime they said Kai Oh ger

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
It's obviously Kai-Oh-Gerr.

Yeesh, this is about as bad as when people pronounce Arceus with a hard "k" sound instead of a soft c. Even that one just in the Smash Direct got that one wrong even though the series itself says "Ar-cee-us" aloud.

I always go by the one that doesn't sound absolutely silly and rolls more easily off the tongue. Well, that, and "ky" is 9 times out of 10 pronounced as "kai"/"kye" rather than "kii"/"kee" like "Ke" or "Ki".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's obviously Kai-Oh-Gerr.

Yeesh, this is about as bad as when people pronounce Arceus with a hard "k" sound instead of a soft c. Even that one just in the Smash Direct got that one wrong even though the series itself says "Ar-cee-us" aloud.

I always go by the one that doesn't sound absolutely silly and rolls more easily off the tongue. Well, that, and "ky" is 9 times out of 10 pronounced as "kai"/"kye" rather than "kii"/"kee" like "Ke" or "Ki".
"Arceus's name pronunciation in Pokémon Battle Revolution is Ar-SEE-us, however, this is wrong, compared to the movie's pronunciation of (Which is also the official pronunciation announced by Game Freak) Ar-KEE-us."

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
"Arceus's name pronunciation in Pokémon Battle Revolution is Ar-SEE-us, however, this is wrong, compared to the movie's pronunciation of (Which is also the official pronunciation announced by Game Freak) Ar-KEE-us."
I'm sorry, but in my copy of the movie they pronounce it "Ar-see-us" and that's what makes the most sense and sounds best anyways. "Ar-kee-us" sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Though it's not like it's unheard of for Pokemon names to sound ridiculous, but regardless, I stand by Ar-see-us.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm sorry, but in my copy of the movie they pronounce it "Ar-see-us" and that's what makes the most sense and sounds best anyways. "Ar-kee-us" sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Though it's not like it's unheard of for Pokemon names to sound ridiculous, but regardless, I stand by Ar-see-us.
I agree with this sentiment, I pronounce his name Ar-see-us, as that is the way I have heard it pronounced in literally everything. I have never heard "Ar-kee-us."

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

"
aRceus's English name has had three different pronunciations. The announcer of Pokémon Battle Revolution pronounced it "AR-see-uss". A promotional trailer for Arceus and the Jewel of Life used the pronunciation "Ar-SAY-us", a pronunciation supported by the katakana used to spell its name. In the final release of Arceus and the Jewel of Life, it was pronounced "AR-key-us", which was affirmed as the official pronunciation by a Pokémon.com mailbag and by the Pokémon Essential Handbook.
  • According to Tom Wayland, the "AR-key-us" pronunciation was used due to concerns over the implications behind the first syllable of "AR-see-uss" in the UK and other British English-speaking territories."

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I throw away every Nintendo product i ever own and cry myself in a corner

also Playstation all stars leak news let the battle begins over psn players and nintendo players
If Nintendo bought Microsoft,though....

Steve for SSB5 :troll:

EDIT : Oh,****,that's Mojang.....XBOX 360 version Steve :troll:

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
"
aRceus's English name has had three different pronunciations. The announcer of Pokémon Battle Revolution pronounced it "AR-see-uss". A promotional trailer for Arceus and the Jewel of Life used the pronunciation "Ar-SAY-us", a pronunciation supported by the katakana used to spell its name. In the final release of Arceus and the Jewel of Life, it was pronounced "AR-key-us", which was affirmed as the official pronunciation by a Pokémon.com mailbag and by the Pokémon Essential Handbook.
  • According to Tom Wayland, the "AR-key-us" pronunciation was used due to concerns over the implications behind the first syllable of "AR-see-uss" in the UK and other British English-speaking territories."
That's nice.

Still Ar-see-us.

Not changing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not going to pronounce it ark-e-us either, but that's the official pronunciation

On the other hand I also found the official pronunciation of Kyogre and it IS Kai-Oh-Ger

Morbi

Scavenger
"
So basically they changed the name and called the latter official? That is all fine and dandy, I am not going to call him "Ar-kee-us" based on some arbitrary implication that I was not even aware of until now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...I'm bored.

Bowser vs Ganondorf death match

Bowser for the win :troll:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
"
That's just as dumb as avoiding the word cocky.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If you want to know how to properly pronounce Pokémon names (excluding Generation VI though), then get Pokédex 3D Pro for Nintendo 3DS & iOS. It has the pronunciations of all Pokémon of the first five generations. If you don't want to buy it then there's plenty of gameplay videos of the app on YouTube. Here's Generation I to start.

Also, man, for the past 4 days, one of my Miiverse posts on Ittle Dew (a ****ing awesome Zelda clone that's TOTALLY worth checking out) has been getting a flood of yeahs and hasn't died down at all (I get an alert about it pretty much every time I visit Miiverse). It's pretty much in the top 10 of all Ittle Dew posts on Miiverse now. Here it is if you're curious: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYn0tVGk9g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom