• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Pretty much every game I've enjoyed involved tedious backtracking and/or non-linearity. Dark Souls, Resident Evil, Dark Souls, Mega Man, Dark Souls...
This predilection is probably an expression of regret.

You wish you could backtrack in your life, but since you can't, you have to make do with the escapist backtracking of video games.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pretty much every game I've enjoyed involved tedious backtracking and/or non-linearity. Dark Souls, Resident Evil, Dark Souls, Mega Man, Dark Souls...
Your obsession with Dark Souls has me intrigued. It makes me want to try it; but again, I hate tedious backtracking. I do not mind non-linear games, I just do not like it when they leave you with no context for the sake of "exploration."

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm quite tolerant to backtracking (didn't bother me at all in the metroid games) but I believe that smetimes, backtracking can be used in a good way. The best example is the chapter 4 in TTYD. I can't tell you the detail (huge spoiler and I just don't want to tell it) but here, there's a brilliant reason why there's some backtracking and I loved it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What does me only enjoying games where I capture monsters and shove them in balls mean?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't remember going over the same area over and over again in Mega Man... wait, or do you mean non-linearity?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Your obsession with Dark Souls has me intrigued. It makes me want to try it; but again, I hate tedious backtracking. I do not mind non-linear games, I just do not like it when they leave you with no context for the sake of "exploration."
This yearning for context leads me to suspect that you lacked guidance early in your life, and you seek to compensate by playing video games that have a tangible sense of forward motion or progression.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I stand by everything I said.

Gamers in this generation are spoiled with hand holding. :L
I love Metroid when I have progress in them. They're fun games. Just when you're stuck its really difficult to find out what the issue is. You have a whole world to explore and not clues as to what you need to bomb to get to a specific area. Its not very satisfying to me to accomplish getting unstuck.
The feeling of getting unstuck after weeks of trying to figure out whats next is the same as getting a knife removed from my chest. :awesome:

I don't really like hand holding in games either. The new Mario's and Donkey kongs hand hold too much for me. I avoid all the extra items at all costs. But it can take forever to figure out what to do next in some games and just makes me lose interest in them. I guess some people are different though :p.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
What does me only enjoying games where I capture monsters and shove them in balls mean?
http://www.crimemuseum.org/blog/9-early-warning-signs-for-serial-killers-2

This is one of the strongest warning signs. Children who torture or kill small animals like squirrels, birds, cats, and dogs without showing remorse are highly likely to be sociopaths. Many serial killers kill to control others’ lives, and as children, small animals are the only lives they have the power to control.
Cannibalistic serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer would bike around the woods as a child, collecting dead animals to dissect. Dahmer even killed and dismembered his own puppy, mounting its head on a stake when he was done.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

This is one of the strongest warning signs. Children who torture or kill small animals like squirrels, birds, cats, and dogs without showing remorse are highly likely to be sociopaths. Many serial killers kill to control others’ lives, and as children, small animals are the only lives they have the power to control.
Cannibalistic serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer would bike around the woods as a child, collecting dead animals to dissect. Dahmer even killed and dismembered his own puppy, mounting its head on a stake when he was done.
To be fair, his username is @ PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate .

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't mind non-linearity in games and even enjoy it at times. I like being able to go and explore where you sometimes shouldn't be, and curb stomp bosses with the extra items and experience. :p

I hate backtracking with a passion though.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Dark Souls' backtracking feels totally natural however and is mostly optional, it's totally possible to go from one area to the next without backtracking, it just isn't recommended.

It's basically the kind of game where you are suppose to figure out your own damn way and get punished for whichever way you picked, just some punishments are more extreme then others.

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark Souls' backtracking feels totally natural however and is mostly optional, it's totally possible to go from one area to the next without backtracking, it just isn't recommended.

It's basically the kind of game where you are suppose to figure out your own damn way and get punished for whichever way you picked, just some punishments are more extreme then others.
Was the game designed for masochists or something?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not obsessed with Dark Souls...okay, I am a little obsessed with Dark Souls. But it stems from my obsession with another game.

It doesn't do that. The game tells you where to go, but you have multiple options for getting to where you need to go almost always. Especially if you start the game with the "Master Key" which allows you to unlock certain doors right from the get-go, essentially allowing you to sequence break the game in certain places.

It only has tedious back-tracking if you die. It is essentially no different than retrying a failed level.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm not obsessed with Dark Souls...okay, I am a little obsessed with Dark Souls. But it stems from my obsession with another game.

It doesn't do that. The game tells you where to go, but you have multiple options for getting to where you need to go almost always. Especially if you start the game with the "Master Key" which allows you to unlock certain doors right from the get-go, essentially allowing you to sequence break the game in certain places.

It only has tedious back-tracking if you die. It is essentially no different than retrying a failed level.
What Kenith is trying to say, Morbid, is that you should play Dark and/or Demon's Souls because it makes Kenith feel good when people like the same things that he does.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This predilection is probably an expression of regret.
You wish you could backtrack in your life, but since you can't, you have to make do with the escapist backtracking of video games.
What Kenith is trying to say, Morbid, is that you should play Dark and/or Demon's Souls because it makes Kenith feel good when people like the same things that he does.
Very random, but these statements are entirely true. :b:

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
This is likely due to some traumatic childhood experience. You prefer to not dwell on the past for fear that you will be hurt again, and so you seek to always move forward, in video games as in waking life.
I like backtracking, non-linearity, linearity, and forward tracking.

What you gotta say about me?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Ohhhh kaayyy... that's just sick. That really gets me going... innocent people, and to an extent animals (most haven't really done anything wrong) being killed like that is just... sick....

Well, on a lighter tone, my favorite genre of game is puzzle/adventure. What am I, @ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht ? :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This is likely due to some traumatic childhood experience. You prefer to not dwell on the past for fear that you will be hurt again, and so you seek to always move forward, in video games as in waking life.
Aye. It was Pokémon hack I played. Damn, it had so much backtracking that there were signboards everywhere to tell you where to go next.

Y'know, you should start a website for those seeking advice.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The first Zelda is like:
1. Okay, start playing. Do whatever you like but you don't have a sword so sucks to be you.
2. "IT'S DANGROUS TO GO ALONE TAKE THIS"
3. You got a sword now get to kill Octoroks and maybe find dungeons, clear them and find Triforce pieces.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ohhhh kaayyy... that's just sick. That really gets me going... innocent people, and to an extent animals (most haven't really done anything wrong) being killed like that is just... sick....

Well, on a lighter tone, my favorite genre of game is puzzle/adventure. What am I, @ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht ? :p
Honestly, I am desensitized to innocent "people" getting murdered. It is the animal aspect that really induces the sorrow within my cold, black heart.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Very random, but these statements are entirely true. :b:
I can read you like an open book.

Tracing my finger across every line, mouthing the words with my lips...

Mmmmmmmmm.

I like backtracking, non-linearity, linearity, and forward tracking.

What you gotta say about me?
Nothing. By some fluke of nature, you lack the necessary qualities to make you psychoanalytically interesting to any degree.

Which is in itself psychoanalytically interesting.

A noob.

lol

Aye. It was Pokémon hack I played. Damn, it had so much backtracking that there were signboards everywhere to tell you where to go next.

Y'know, you should start a website for those seeking advice.
I'll be a webcam girl, except I'll be a webcam psychoanalyst.

Of course, there will still be plenty of leather.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dark Souls is one game that is nearly impossible to reasonably describe in one sentence.

But one sentence is all you get because everyone hats it when I talk about Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is non-linear and also hard. There you go.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I'm glad to have games like Metroid and earlier Zelda where there were few hints. I liked finding my own way.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Skip to 8:00. This conversation of non-linear games reminded me of that part.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Honestly, I am desensitized to innocent "people" getting murdered. It is the animal aspect that really induces the sorrow within my cold, black heart.
Inferior creatures generally aren't as intelligent as we are, so they have an aura of innocence around them, which might be it. (for me at least)

I even feel bad about killing dangerous creatures, like a female Black Widow spider.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom