• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
A gazillion free games a month (assuming you own all 3 current PlayStations)? Yes, please.
I don't, just the PS3.

But PS+ has introduced me to so many excellent games (after all, they make their blockbusters from the previous year free most of the time).

PlayStation Plus introduced me to this

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
I don't, just the PS3.

But PS+ has introduced me to so many excellent games (after all, they make their blockbusters from the previous year free most of the time).

PlayStation Plus introduced me to this
Big ups for Plus, in that case! I would never have played Far Cry 3 / Blood Dragon without PS+. Also, all those discounts. <3
I just had to import Demon's Souls when it launched in the U.S. as it hadn't been confirmed for a European release at the time. Glad I did, as Atlus took such good care of their fans with all the timed events -- a level that Namco Bandai never reached. Cannot wait for Project Beast (another title I'm hoping to see at E3)!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Big ups for Plus, in that case! I would never have played Far Cry 3 / Blood Dragon without PS+. Also, all those discounts. <3
I just had to import Demon's Souls when it launched in the U.S. as it hadn't been confirmed for a European release at the time. Glad I did, as Atlus took such good care of their fans with all the timed events -- a level that Namco Bandai never reached. Cannot wait for Project Beast (another title I'm hoping to see at E3)!
People are saying "Project Beast" is a sequel to Demon's Souls.

Doubtful. We'll see. I don't want a sequel; I want a remake.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not quite -- its spiritual predecessor. Also the best game to bear the Souls title, in my opinion. (Followed by Dark Souls, then DS2).
Oh definitely. Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games of all time. In my top five, definitely.

Dark Souls 1 & 2 are good, but they are way over-hyped.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
People are saying "Project Beast" is a sequel to Demon's Souls.

Doubtful. We'll see. I don't want a sequel; I want a remake.
The reason people are calling it a sequel is that it's directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the director of Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, and co-developed by Sony. Hence, it'll most likely bear resemblance to Demon's Souls more than any other Souls title. Still, judging by the screenshots, it's an entirely new creation instead of an HD remake.
Oh definitely. Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games of all time. In my top five, definitely.

Dark Souls 1 & 2 are good, but they are way over-hyped.
Agreed!

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The reason people are calling it a sequel is that it's directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the director of Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls and co-developed by Sony. Hence, it'll most likely bear resemblance to Demon's Souls more than any other Souls title. Still, judging by the screenshots, it's an entirely new creation instead of an HD remake.

Agreed!
Oh, yes, I see. And that's good. They're clearly declining in quality; they're becoming less fresh.

Hopefully this new game is actually new.

Do you think DkS2 is too slow?
That's one of my main issues with it.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Oh, yes, I see. And that's good. They're clearly declining in quality; they're becoming less fresh.

Hopefully this new game is actually new.

Do you think DkS2 is too slow?
That's one of my main issues with it.
I have a few bones to pick with the directors of Dark Souls II, one of which is definitely the tempo of the game. It's very slow even with the decision to make the segments between bonfires and bosses shorter and less traveling due to bonfire warping. They really made a lot of strange design choices with DS2. It's still a very enjoyable game, just not as much as the previous two.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
We should all post ourselves replying with a youtube video of ourselves literally speaking our replies, so we can see and hear each other, and always read our replies in our voices ;)

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Dark Souls 1 & 2 piss me off because it's practically impossible to beat them alone.
I beat Dark Souls 1 alone on my first playthrough, but Velka alone knows how long I was stuck at Ornstein & Smough. I mean, jeez.
Dark Souls II, on the other hand, is a strange one. I was disappointed in many of the bosses since they were so easy to beat, but others, such as Smelter Demon, took me multiple tries even with a team assembled.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Dark Souls 1 & 2 piss me off because it's practically impossible to beat them alone.
That's how I was playing Dark Souls though. I was doing fine till I stopped playing the game due to getting burned out. Now I'm not sure if I should continue from where I left off, at the beginning of Blighttown or start over.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
We should all post ourselves replying with a youtube video of ourselves literally speaking our replies, so we can see and hear each other, and always read our replies in our voices ;)
[collapse=A transcript from RE: SlickWylde's post in the Social Thread]
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht : "What are you? Some kind of voyeur?"
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's how I was playing Dark Souls though. I was doing fine till I stopped playing the game due to getting burned out. Now I'm not sure if I should continue from where I left off, at the beginning of Blighttown or start over.
I beat Dark Souls 1 alone on my first playthrough, but Velka alone knows how long I was stuck at Ornstein & Smough. I mean, jeez.
Dark Souls II, on the other hand, is a strange one. I was disappointed in many of the bosses since they were so easy to beat, but others, such as Smelter Demon, took me multiple tries even with a team assembled.
That's sort of what I mean though, as the game would take half as long to beat with summons.

It's clearly designed to be online co-op, and I don't like that exclusivity.

I would like to play be myself without that much hassle.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Dude, you've seriously gotta start making spoilers for the overly huge images so they don't take up everyone's screen. D:

Also, hello there absolute best redesign out of the group. <3

Here's to hoping her personality has a decent redesign too, or is at least more like her current kickass Archie self. ¦D

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Oh man, Blighttown. That's one thing I have Dark Souls to thank for -- I have NEVER been so happy to see virtual sunlight as I was when I stepped out of Blighttown during my first run. It was a strange, overjoyed feeling. No other area in the game affected me quite as much, although the rage I felt thanks to the Anor Londo snipers is a close second.
That's sort of what I mean though, as the game would take half as long to beat with summons.

It's clearly designed to be online co-op, and I don't like that exclusivity.

I would like to play be myself without that much hassle.
The NPC phantoms are rarely good enough for those fights. Although the cleric did save my hide a couple of times on the Ruin Sentinel fight in DS2. In the end, it still took a full party of us player characters to beat 'em.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Dude, you've seriously gotta start making spoilers for the overly huge images so they don't take up everyone's screen. D:
But then I can't watch people complain about it.

Also, hello there absolute best redesign out of the group. <3

Here's to hoping her personality has a decent redesign too, or is at least more like her current kickass Archie self. ¦D
Her new design scares me. ;-;

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh man, Blighttown. That's one thing I have Dark Souls to thank for -- I have NEVER been so happy to see virtual sunlight as I was when I stepped out of Blighttown during my first run. It was a strange, overjoyed feeling. No other area in the game affected me quite as much, although the rage I felt thanks to the Anor Londo snipers is a close second.
Valley of Defilement is way better than Blighttown and the Gutter/Black Gulch.

I thought Blighttown would be structured more like a cave/town; this excited me. However, it's actual layout is extremely poorly designed, as the entire map is basically visible at the same time; and not only is that level not fun at all, but that also explains the awful lag in that place.

It also didn't have the sad and scary atmosphere that the Valley did.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
But then I can't watch people complain about it.

Her new design scares me. ;-;
Your fault if you get infracted for it later, then. ¦D

And you're weird. (Which applies to all of us here anyway lol) I can't help but love absolutely everything about it.

If she's written right, she may actually come close to being on the same level as Blaze as my favorite female character. (Though Blaze is also my favorite character overall, so I dunno if she'll be quite that even with her.)

mimgrim

Smash Hero

I thought Blighttown would be structured more like a cave/town; this excited me. However, it's actual layout is extremely poorly designed, as the entire map is basically visible at the same time; and not only is that level not fun at all, but that also explains the awful lag in that place.

And TOXIC BUT NOT POISON snipers. >_<

Your fault if you get infracted for it later, then. ¦D
Your assuming I care about that.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969

The lag in Blighttown really added to the hellish experience! Valley of Defilement was awful in that a lot of it consisted of the bog, which was both really hard to traverse and contained some dangerous enemies such as the giant goblins and black phantoms -- and it only got worse toward the end with the plague babies! The major difference is that in Demon's Souls, you simply went back to the Nexus from there. What made the Blighttown experience so special to me was the exit, the disbelief of finally seeing sunlight, albeit that of a video game.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Another thing I love about Demon's Souls: so much of it was built around a horror subtheme, whereas Dark Souls was mostly dark fantasy. The line between the two can be quite thin, but I was authentically scared in Demon's Souls at times.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok Kenith. You decide for me.

Should I continue from where I was playing, even though I haven't played, in what feels like, a couple of months, or start over?

If I do start over, I'm going with the Master Key this time so I can skip the Capra Demon.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Another thing I love about Demon's Souls: so much of it was built around a horror subtheme, whereas Dark Souls was mostly dark fantasy. The line between the two can be quite thin, but I was authentically scared in Demon's Souls at times.
I know. Demon's Souls had this desolate feel to it; even though you could play co-op, you still felt isolated. Plus, the whole game was/is a double-whammy of sad and suspenseful. It was great.

Dark Souls 2 tried to recapture that atmosphere, but obviously, it didn't. It felt like Dark Souls's mood on steroids.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ok Kenith. You decide for me.

Should I continue from where I was playing, even though I haven't played, in what feels like, a couple of months, or start over?

If I do start over, I'm going with the Master Key this time so I can skip the Capra Demon.
Start over. You should pick the Master Key anyway.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Starting over it is!

This time I'm going to go with the Pyromancer instead of the Wanderer. I think I made a mistake starting with Wanderer anyway xD.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Oh man, that is great.
I know. Demon's Souls had this desolate feel to it; even though you could play co-op, you still felt isolated. Plus, the whole game was/is a double-whammy of sad and suspenseful. It was great.

Dark Souls 2 tried to recapture that atmosphere, but obviously, it didn't. It felt like Dark Souls's mood on steroids.
Well said! Each "different atmosphere", if you will, didn't last very long because each thematic setting was so short in structure in Dark Souls 2. The milieu often changed after each boss fight, and with it, the atmosphere.
Starting over it is!

This time I'm going to go with the Pyromancer instead of the Wanderer. I think I made a mistake starting with Wanderer anyway xD.
Can't go wrong with Pyro. Best stats and basically starts with the Flame. There's a reason they nerfed Pyromancy in DS2.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well said! Each "different atmosphere", if you will, didn't last very long because each thematic setting was so short in structure in Dark Souls 2. The milieu often changed after each boss fight, and with it, the atmosphere.
That's true, to an extent. Honestly, to me, the constantly changing moods (and the ability to warp between bonfires) sort of drained the game of any atmosphere at all. It felt like what it was; a game. Not a world.

Can't go wrong with Pyro. Best stats and basically starts with the Flame. There's a reason they nerfed Pyromancy in DS2.
Really? My Pyromancy sucked in Dark Souls. I thought fire damage in general was nerfed from Demon's.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
That's true, to an extent. Honestly, to me, the constantly changing moods (and the ability to warp between bonfires) sort of drained the game of any atmosphere at all. It felt like what it was; a game. Not a world.
Exactly. That, and the inability to teleport between bonfires early on in Dark Souls 1, made the world feel like a whole, and that's what I loved about it.

Really? My Pyromancy sucked in Dark Souls.
Since it didn't scale from anything except the Flame itself and many enemies were weak to fire. You could be a heavy melee class and still have ranged/elemental capabilities thanks to pyromancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom