• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Exactly. That, and the inability to teleport between bonfires early on in Dark Souls 1, made the world feel like a whole, and that's what I loved about it.
Honestly, the level design of Dark Souls 1 was not as good as 2, but somehow was way more fun to play because the enemies, surprisingly, are actually less cheap. I actually had a moment to take in the world instead of constantly being combo-ed to death by hulking knights and being bombarded with arrows.

Also, I had more time explore before trekking back to a bonfire to repair my weapons (don't get me started on that bit, worst thing about DS2 by far)

Since it didn't scale from anything except the Flame itself and many enemies were weak to fire. You could be a heavy melee class and still have ranged/elemental capabilities thanks to pyromancy.
Well I was dex (thief, specifically) so maybe that explains why it didn't help me much. Quelagg's Furysword served me well though.

So, what is your stance on Hexes? I love them. Specifically Dark Orb.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Also, I had more time explore before trekking back to a bonfire to repair my weapons (don't get me started on that bit, worst thing about DS2 by far)
Haha, definitely. As a sunbro, I often had to fight my way to the summon spot using my secondary weapon in order to be able to use my primary one during the boss fight.

Well I was dex (thief, specifically) so maybe that explains why it didn't help me much. Quelagg's Furysword served me well though.
I went with a Dex build for my second playthrough, still using the Pyromancy Flame for many enemies until I got the Furysword. That one I used until I forged the Lifehunt Scythe (which I'm currently using for my PvP character). Dex was so much fun in that game!

So, what is your stance on Hexes? I love them. Specifically Dark Orb.
I never really got into Hexes, although they seem really interesting. The biggest reason for me not using them is that it's difficult to distribute Soul Levels accordingly, since you get Dark whenever you increase your lower level of either Faith/Intelligence (iirc). I'm using a Str/Dex build in my current game, so I don't really want to put any souls into Faith or Int. :138: Are they working out for you?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Changed my avatar. HD Dillon will live on in my sig.

Edit: Meh, that Image didn't work as well as I would have liked. New NEW avi. XD

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Haha, definitely. As a sunbro, I often had to fight my way to the summon spot using my secondary weapon in order to be able to use my primary one during the boss fight.
Same for me, though I don't become a summon. I probably should start, though.

I went with a Dex build for my second playthrough, still using the Pyromancy Flame for many enemies until I got the Furysword. That one I used until I forged the Lifehunt Scythe (which I'm currently using for my PvP character). Dex was so much fun in that game!
I would have gotten the Lifehunt Scythe, but I didn't want to kill Priscrilla (sinning is a big deal in that game), and also you can't warp out of the Painted World, so yeah. I heard it's great.

I never really got into Hexes, although they seem really interesting. The biggest reason for me not using them is that it's difficult to distribute Soul Levels accordingly, since you get Dark whenever you increase your lower level of either Faith/Intelligence (iirc). I'm using a Str/Dex build in my current game, so I don't really want to put any souls into Faith or Int. :138: Are they working out for you?
It's...a little strenuous to maintain Soul Levels, yeah. Though I lean toward Faith since I also use Great Lightning Spear.
Some of them are asking too much, but some are really fun and useful.

Dark Orb is the basic attack spell, it has short range but fires fast, hits pretty hard, and tracks well. Oh, and you get 21 shots per scroll. I carry two and have 42 shots of that stuff. So I use it to cheese through any crappy situation. XD

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Same for me, though I don't become a summon. I probably should start, though.
Yeah, helping folks nets you a ton of souls and a fuzzy feeling!
I would have gotten the Lifehunt Scythe, but I didn't want to kill Priscrilla (sinning is a big deal in that game), and also you can't warp out of the Painted World, so yeah. I heard it's great.
It's always a risk going there. To be honest, I was pretty afraid on my first time (especially since those Crow Demon mobs don't pull any punches), but managed to clear the place in the end. I was in the process of making my PvP character anyway, so I wasn't very worried about getting invaded more often; comes with the territory, I guess! :011: The scythe is just insane. With the right equipment, cutting people down is pretty quick, and even some bosses are weak to Bleed!
Dark Orb is the basic attack spell, it has short range but fires fast, hits pretty hard, and tracks well. Oh, and you get 21 shots per scroll. I carry two and have 42 shots of that stuff. So I use it to cheese through any crappy situation. XD
That sounds really powerful. Maybe I'll go for a Dark Mage-sort of build in a future playthrough -- they seem fun and I've seen a couple really demolish bosses! I'm somewhat interested in trying out the Havel + double Avelyn build when I start my next run, but not for PvP. I hear it's really rage-inducing, so I'd rather use it on NPCs!

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, helping folks nets you a ton of souls and a fuzzy feeling!

It's always a risk going there. To be honest, I was pretty afraid on my first time (especially since those Crow Demon mobs don't pull any punches), but managed to clear the place in the end. I was in the process of making my PvP character anyway, so I wasn't very worried about getting invaded more often; comes with the territory, I guess! :011: The scythe is just insane. With the right equipment, cutting people down is pretty quick, and even some bosses are weak to Bleed!
I might try to play using that (I believe Scythes are leaned more towards Dex, right?) that sounds fun, though I might not go back to DS1 for a while.

That Painted World though...no joke. Crow Demons are a pain.

That sounds really powerful. Maybe I'll go for a Dark Mage-sort of build in a future playthrough -- they seem fun and I've seen a couple really demolish bosses! I'm somewhat interested in trying out the Havel + double Avelyn build when I start my next run, but not for PvP. I hear it's really rage-inducing, so I'd rather use it on NPCs!
Yeah, luckily the only guy I ever found using dual Avelyns was a Summon so I guess I'm lucky.

Where do you find Avelyns? I've been avoiding the crossbows like this plague for some reasons. I want to try it out too.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
I might try to play using that (I believe Scythes are leaned more towards Dex, right?) that sounds fun, though I might not go back to DS1 for a while.

That Painted World though...no joke. Crow Demons are a pain.
You know what's worse than a Crow Demon? Three Crow Demons, haha. The scythe scales from Dex, yep! You also need 16 Str to use it, I think. To avoid bleeding to death yourself, you should probably also have the Bloodshield and Bloodbite Ring, as well as a healthy amount of Endurance!
Yeah, luckily the only guy I ever found using dual Avelyns was a Summon so I guess I'm lucky.

Where do you find Avelyns? I've been avoiding the crossbows like this plague for some reasons. I want to try it out too.
Better on your side than against you, that's for sure! :138: Here's the info page for Avelyn, I believe you can only find one per playthrough. I've heard someone also has a chance of dropping it, but I can't remember for the life of me...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The scythe scales from Dex, yep! You also need 16 Str to use it, I think. To avoid bleeding to death yourself, you should probably also have the Bloodshield and Bloodbite Ring, as well as a healthy amount of Endurance!
Oh yeah, I forgot it did that...mostly because I've never used it. :070:

Better on your side than against you, that's for sure! :138: Here's the info page for Avelyn, I believe you can only find one per playthrough. I've heard someone also has a chance of dropping it, but I can't remember for the life of me...
I love Wikidot's wikis. Anyway, that looks and sounds awesome, I remember that guy I summoned that used them...well, it completely trivialized my fighting, that's for sure.

So I'll probably use it eventually. Though I am reluctant to use weapons that are commonly used in PvP (I was reluctant to try Ricard's Rapier, for example.)

I really wish you could infuse it with Poison/Bleed. It would probably actually physically break my game XD

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Add in a damage-boosting ring (scales separately for each bolt!) and you're in for some sick math.
Dayum. No wonder everyone uses it.

I will definitely look into this for PvE Enemies are so cheap anyway, and last time I checked, enemies can't send me hate messages after I kill them indiscriminately, I can be cheap right back at them.

Speaking of overused things. Grand Lance is amazing, it looks sick.

Also, Ring of Life Protection. They won't patch that. No need, it does what they intended it too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
*Awkwardly Starts to play flute*
Oh believe me, I've noticed. It's hilarious because I totally see that everyone else is just listening at this point.

But I can't take part in pretty much anything else you guys talk about (ugh...anime), so consider this my revenge. :p

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh believe me, I've noticed. It's hilarious because I totally see that everyone else is just listening at this point.

But I can't take part in pretty much anything else you guys talk about (ugh...anime), so consider this my revenge. :p
You don't have to watch a TON of Anime you know. :p

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Uggggh wake me up when you guys are done talking about Dank Souls 2! See, it's funny because I made fun of the name of a game I don't like, just like a fanboy! lol

I'm kidding, I'm not actually trying to start an argument in any way so don't beat me up with words Sakurai pls. ;)

I wonder what a fighting game would look like from the Dark Souls guys? That would be interesting to see!

Apparently I was ninja'd lol

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You're better off than I am.
If it ain't Smash, game news, or gaming in general (unless it's Sony, Microsoft, PC, phones, etc.), then I'm as lost as lost can be.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
There was an article on Nintendo Life that a lady from Nintendo Europe leaked that NFC would be a part of SSB4 Wii U.

Does anyone else think that would suck?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oooh, good comeback.

That show is the except to a lot of rules about things.

A. All American cartoons must have terrible writing, humour, and non-existent characters.
B. All American cartoons must look American. Anything else is un-American.
I love that show.. I need to start watching it again after I finish Clone Wars.

There was an article on Nintendo Life that a lady from Nintendo Europe leaked that NFC would be a part of SSB4 Wii U.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I am the same way minus the "game news" and "gaming in general aspects."
The only topics I know are Smash, terrible games, game music (of which even here I can be a bit scatter-brained on), or whatever I picked up on TVTropes.

I said this somewhere else, and I'll say it here.
We don't know the exact use of it yet, it could just be DLC for all we know.
I wouldn't start throwing fire now until we know their use in the game.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Sorry to bore the rest of you guys! :054:
Meanwhile, I'm just listening to Touhou Soccer music. Like this.
Oh man, Touhou. (Must... resist... starting another exclusive conversation...) Some of the best music in video games, and one of the most productive fanbases!
Speaking of Dark Souls and fighting games, I had an idea for if Solaire was in Smash.
Oh man, I wish! Although Sif would be my Smasher of choice. Such a sweet character.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
What did you love about Avatar:TLA? There's your topic.
Avatar: LOK is a bit meh. The best thing to come out of that saga was the Legend of Wan 1 hour special. Republic City is boring as hell. That show is the best when it is set in mystical Asian settings, this industrial age stuff kills the whole show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom