• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Samus is a strong independent bounty hunter who don't need no man.
Yeah, that's until she met Ridley in Other M. She then found herself becoming the little school girl she always wanted to be. Just really late though. I mean how many times has she met Ridley pre Other M?

Is Other M canon?

Is that space firby canon..?

._.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The argument I believe extends that because Samus behavior outside of other M, some dialogue in Fusion, and not blasting the baby metroid in the 2nd game Samus has portrayed with the kind of stone cold ice queen persona which is often viewed as the opposite extreme to a character like say Peach. It's kind of similar of how I've heard Final Fantasy 13 Lightning described. It's basically the idea that the characters are so far removed from their femininity that they are not particular strong female character more so then a masculine personality in a female body.

I don't particularly agree with this sentiment but I think that's where it's mostly coming from.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, there appears to be a Tier List for J-Stars Victory VS that the Gamefaqs community had bad a few weeks after launch:

God Tier:
Vegeta
Saiki

S Tier:
Luffy
Bobobo
Aizen

A Tier:
Kenshin
Ryotsu
Toriko
Zebra
Yusuke
Hiei
Killua
Akainu
Sasuke
Luckyman

B Tier:
Tsuna
Shishio
Ichigo
Momotaro
Gintoki
Madara
Kenshiro
Gon
Seiya
Oga
Goku
Hancock
Ace
Nube

C Tier:
Korosensei
Jonathan
Medaka
Joseph
Naruto
Taro

Low Tier:
Frieza
Toguro
Arale
Raoh

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I find it interesting how the Greninja trailer surpassed the Little Mac and Rosalina trailers (with views) in less than a week. Pokémon surely is a big thing.
There were 8 Pokemon scheduled for Brawl.

Yes, 8. Which would have brought them to take up nearly 1/4th of the cast.

Who seriously plays like that though?
Anyone that wants to win and not lose? You've already admitted to being casual and not caring about walk-offs, so I wouldn't expect you to see this a lot anyway. In any context though, to win a time match all you have to do is get ahead in points and then run out the timer. Stock matches are less degenerate this way because they don't provide that incentive, although almost every tournament turns on the game timer to prevent the tournament from running for much longer than it should.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
There were 8 Pokemon scheduled for Brawl.

Yes, 8. Which would have brought them to take up nearly 1/4th of the cast.

Anyone that wants to win and not lose? You've already admitted to being casual and not caring about walk-offs, so I wouldn't expect you to see this a lot anyway. In any context though, to win a time match all you have to do is get ahead in points and then run out the timer. Stock matches are less degenerate this way because they don't provide that incentive, although almost every tournament turns on the game timer to prevent the tournament from running for much longer than it should.
How do stock matches not provide that incentive? If you have the % lead on the same stock you win. You also don't have to approach if you have a stock lead either.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, there appears to be a Tier List for J-Stars Victory VS that the Gamefaqs community had bad a few weeks after launch:

God Tier:
Vegeta
Saiki

S Tier:
Luffy
Bobobo
Aizen

A Tier:
Kenshin
Ryotsu
Toriko
Zebra
Yusuke
Hiei
Killua
Akainu
Sasuke
Luckyman

B Tier:
Tsuna
Shishio
Ichigo
Momotaro
Gintoki
Madara
Kenshiro
Gon
Seiya
Oga
Goku
Hancock
Ace
Nube

C Tier:
Korosensei
Jonathan
Medaka
Joseph
Naruto
Taro

Low Tier:
Frieza
Toguro
Arale
Raoh
I don't care about this game, I think at first glance it has a terrible cast full of nobodies, but hell yeah Vegeta is god tier.
Dayum straight.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
How do stock matches not provide that incentive? If you have the % lead on the same stock you win. You also don't have to approach if you have a stock lead either.
Re-read his post.

A stock match without a timer is suppose to not make it as degenerative. However most tournaments add a time so as to not have matches running longer then they should, which means it doesn't stop the incentive as much.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The argument I believe extends that because Samus behavior outside of other M, some dialogue in Fusion, and not blasting the baby metroid in the 2nd game Samus has portrayed with the kind of stone cold ice queen persona which is often viewed as the opposite extreme to a character like say Peach. It's kind of similar of how I've heard Final Fantasy 13 Lightning described. It's basically the idea that the characters are so far removed from their femininity that they are not particular strong female character more so then a masculine personality in a female body.

I don't particularly agree with this sentiment but I think that's where it's mostly coming from.
I understand what he means, but you're right, it's a silly argument.

The thing is, Metroid really isn't about Samus. It's about the player. It's about the gameplay. Story isn't that important. You can't give a complex personality to someone you control like that.
Do you think, that if Link were a complex character at all, that he would ever have incentive to leave his house?

That's Other M's biggest downfall. It isn't sexist by itself; yes, any realistic person would have a breakdown after seeing Ridley come back so many times. But they tried to add that dynamic to a character who's "personality", or intentional lack thereof, and it came off as making a strong character...weak.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I stopped reading that article when the author put Princess Zelda in the same boat as Peach, casually disregarding Zelda's roles as a pirate, Sheik, political prisoner, vagabond, and avatar.

How exactly would stock matches provide that incentive? There's no timer unless you're a TO that calls time on a game that's lasting too long, which has been archaic for a while now. Stock/Timer match it might, but it would really come down the game mechs and particular match-up that decide how cat-and-mouse the match becomes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I understand what he means, but you're right, it's a silly argument.

The thing is, Metroid really isn't about Samus. It's about the player. It's about the gameplay. Story isn't that important. You can't give a complex personality to someone you control like that.
Do you think, that if Link were a complex character at all, that he would ever have incentive to leave his house?

That's Other M's biggest downfall. It isn't sexist by itself; yes, any realistic person would have a breakdown after seeing Ridley come back so many times. But they tried to add that dynamic to a character who's "personality", or intentional lack thereof, and it came off as making a strong character...weak.
I don't think a realistic person would have broken down after seeing Ridley come back so many times.

A realistic person would have broken down after fighting Ridley the first time

Then after being revived so many damn times would be used to it

Up to this point, Samus ALREADY had her breaking down moment and got over it, becoming a stronger character. She didn't need to do that twice

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think a realistic person would have broken down after seeing Ridley come back so many times.

A realistic person would have broken down after fighting Ridley the first time

Then after being revived so many damn times would be used to it

Up to this point, Samus ALREADY had her breaking down moment and got over it, becoming a stronger character. She didn't need to do that twice
Well, yeah, but I'm factoring in the PTSD from "the baby" as well.

Ugh...why did they let Team Ninja make that game...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, if I get that game (even though it's currently Japan only) I know who I'm maining :troll:
I main Saiki Kusuo, who's almost as broken as him. The impregnable rock "shield" combined with his teleportation (which works on his foes or himself) and his ridiculously broken combo makes him a monster in the battle field

It makes me wish the scanlators for his manga (Saiki Kusuo no Sainan) can hurry up with the translations so that I can see the origin of these attacks.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, yeah, but I'm factoring in the PTSD from "the baby" as well.

Ugh...why did they let Team Ninja make that game...
When the baby followed her after being hatched, she gave it to scientists who performed horrible genetic experiments on it, using it's DNA to create ...stuff such as the vaccine.

She didn't seem to care about it much then

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
When the baby followed her after being hatched, she gave it to scientists who performed horrible genetic experiments on it, using it's DNA to create ...stuff such as the vaccine.

She didn't seem to care about it much then
Keep in mind, I don't know too much about Metroid, but even then, that loophole sounds more like Other M's mistake, not mine.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I really don't hate feminists. But with that said, I think they are pushing the wrong ideals.

Rather then trying to show that males and females are equal, they instead are trying to push for every girl to be some mary sue perfection.

I mean, look at how many times they complain about "Ditzies", "Damsels", and "Sexualized," girls. I mean, I'm all for having stronger female characters, but, why do we have to get rid of all the "weak" ones?

Some girls don't want to save the world, or focus on kicking everyone ass. Some girls just want to have fun. Be playful. Are you also trying to tell me that every girl knows how/has the ability to escape a kidnapping?

Why do we have to get rid of all these different types of people? Because they make 'em look bad? Well tough luck. These kind of girls exist in the real world as well. You can't just erase them.

Also, looking at Zero Suit heels discussion, the argument seems to be that since Samus is some sort of superhuman, she doesn't need the heels. However, she is a living being, she has limits. The heels allow her to past those limits that she once had.

It really just seems that the feminists just want a quick and strong way to show the world that they are equal to men. I can't really blame them for wanting that, but this is just bad.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Samus is a strong woman, she displays compassion and readiness to action.
If looks matter, then wouldn't one want a woman to look more womanly or a man to look more manly?
If looks do not matter, or if one maintains that there is no such thing as masculinity or femininity, then it doesn't matter what any of them look like in the first place.
Those who deny that man and woman are different is in blatant disregard of sexual dimorphism. Just as well, those who deny that man and woman are equal does not think of the dignity that is afforded in their basic humanity.
It is possible to be different physically, mentally, intellectually, socially, and still be equal as moral beings.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't dislike high heels because of how they "portray" women or some stupid **** like that. I just dislike high heels because I think they look stupid, aesthetically.

It really is just that simple for me. xD

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
yall seriously talking about two cartoons being a couple....ahahahah the internet is a sad place.
You say that like you didn't already know it happens a lot.

Let's find something more pointless to argue about than Zamus's design change.
Honestly, she gets jet boots and suddenly people get a broom up their ass about her whole design.

I personally just ignore those people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom