• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Psssshhhh Shadow the Hedgehog was nothing when it came to constant cussing.
Play Gears of War and then tell me about how bad the cussing in Shadow the Hedgehog was. GoW got to the point where I decided to use the strong language censor, although that was more due to the fact that the game was rather loud and my parents didn't want to listen to all the cussing coming from the games xD.
Gears? Ha. I remember playing Gears 1's campaign with my brother and just laughing over how bad the language was. I usually tune on language censors because of my own dignity and tastes.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Gears? Ha. I remember playing Gears 1's campaign with my brother and just laughing over how bad the language was. I usually tune on language censors because of my own dignity and tastes.
Gears 1 is the lightest of them in terms of language, at lest for the trilogy. Not sure bout Judgment.

I really don't care about cussing as it's just words. That's probably due to the fact that I'm rather thick skinned when getting called names though. Call me anything you want. Anything at all. I would not give a single ****. xD

You can even call me a four hundred foot tall purple platypus bear with pink horns and silver wings. :p

Velvet Phoenix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonic204
If the Sonic movie was like SatAM it would probably be pretty awesome.

It's not live action though, is it? Please dear God tell me it isn't live action?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I question what anyone would be doing buying/playing the game if language is that big of a problem for them.

I actually hid out in the Gears community for a while before returning to here. I have a bit of bloodlust every now and then.

Velvet Phoenix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonic204
I question what anyone would be doing buying/playing the game if language is that big of a problem for them.
Language doesn't bother me, I have a very...colorful vocabulary myself. But the language in Shadow the Hedgehog seemed forced and cringeworthy.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770

I actually hid out in the Gears community for a while before returning to here. I have a bit of bloodlust every now and then.
I wouldn't wanna step into Final Destination with you then, I probably wouldn't last.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If the Sonic movie was like SatAM it would probably be pretty awesome.

It's not live action though, is it? Please dear God tell me it isn't live action?
It's a mix of animated and live action.
So, think of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but most likely not as good.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
So who are your guys' favorite videogame composers, I'm as sucker for David Wise, Koji Kondo, and Ryo Nagamatsu.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Language doesn't bother me, I have a very...colorful vocabulary myself. But the language in Shadow the Hedgehog seemed forced and cringeworthy.
"With the power of these, I am going to destroy this damn planet. This is who I am!"

If anything, Shadow's "evil laugh" after this line was more forced than the language.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So who are your guys' favorite videogame composers, I'm as sucker for David Wise, Koji Kondo, and Ryo Nagamatsu.
Depends.
If you ask me, it'd be Jeroen Tel, Tim and Geoff Follin, and Rob Hubbard (though, Rob can be somewhat hit or miss).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Every time I see about GBA VC on Wii U, I remember how illogical that decision was. They should have put them on the 3DS while the Wii U would get GCN games. Actually, I'd be more tempted on buying a Wii U if it had GCN games.
Quick question. What is your opinion of the GBA Player for the gamecube?

How would you compare it to the situation with the Wii u and 3ds issue you are mentioning?

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

I don't mind the ****ing language.

Look at my posts, I say stupid **** all the god damn time...

Hideki Naganuma. Nuff said.
Naganumda is such a musical genius; like did you know that the song "New day" (from Sonic Rush) was sung by a man?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Here's how I see it.
I don't mind swearing. But like anything, it has to be done in good taste.
If not, then it'll run out it's welcome quickly, and it just feels like a failed attempt to make it cooler than it is.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Music composer talk? Came at the right time.

Motoi Sakuraba, Yasunori Mitsuda, Hiroyuki Sawano, Yuzo Koshiro are among my favorites. And, of course, the legendary Koji Kondo.

I heard Sakuraba's work on Kid Icarus: Uprising, Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Golf series and on Project X Zone thanks to having music from the Tales series and Resonance of Fate. Saying he's an excellent composer is an understatement.
Hiroyuki Sawano composes more for anime, but he will be doing X's soundtrack, so he could count as a VG composer. His work on Attack on Titan was godly and he also did great on Blue Exorcist. I first heard of him and his music in the trailers for X.
As for Koji Kondo, two words: Gerudo Valley. And I also love Dire, Dire Docks from Super Mario 64.

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770

Naganumda is such a musical genius; like did you know that the song "New day" (from Sonic Rush) was sung by a man?
I was more shocked to find that Wrapped in Black used audio clips from Malcolm X.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Quick question. What is your opinion of the GBA Player for the gamecube?

How would you compare it to the situation with the Wii u and 3ds issue you are mentioning?
The difference between GBA player is that it was an optional accessory to bring the GBA games to the big screen, something I wasn't a fan of, given how the small resolution of the GBA made the game look too pixelated on the TV screen. Same for the sound, as it was designed for the tiny speakers of the handheld, which would sound odd on the TV.

Having GBA games exclusively on a home console is a very questionable choice, considering how 3DS ambassadors had GBA games. Also, handheld games on a home console is odd, mainly for the reasons I've already mentioned, as well as the lack of portability the games originally had on their native console.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I kind of find it funny that Video Game composers are taking the place of Orchestral composers, it is the only new Orchestral music the commonpeople really hear actually. It's just funny how videogame composers nowadays are holding true to a classical style but add their own technical instruments, that are computer generated, I love the sorts of music it can create.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The difference between GBA player is that it was an optional accessory to bring the GBA games to the big screen, something I wasn't a fan of, given how the small resolution of the GBA made the game look too pixelated on the TV screen. Same for the sound, as it was designed for the tiny speakers of the handheld, which would sound odd on the TV.

Having GBA games exclusively on a home console is a very questionable choice, considering how 3DS ambassadors had GBA games. Also, handheld games on a home console is odd, mainly for the reasons I've already mentioned, as well as the lack of portability the games originally had on their native console.
I can sort of see what you mean but I do have two things to say.

Towards the pixelated part, if you could play it on the gamepad, how much would that solve the issue? Maybe even using headphones could fix that speaker issue.

Also, are you sure you aren't overestimating the importance of portability? After all, there are plenty of people asking for a main series console Pokemon game, (as in not like the stadium or shadow pokemon games.)

Heck, I've seen people who wanted a Wii U Bravely Default, despite that game really showing off and pushing what the 3ds can do, (aside from maybe the 3d effects, but I thought they were nice enough).

Though, I play most of my 3ds games at my house most of the time so maybe I just don't see what you see...

Really, all just opinions.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Some VGM composers use real instrumentation, instead of software. Only on higher budget titles, obviously.

Indeed, it's getting more common to have video game music actually being performed by orchestras and real instruments.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
My absolute favorite game composer is Kota Hoshino(Armoured Core. Seriously, the armored core 4 soundtrack is FANTASTIC. And for Answer). Aside from the obvious composers(Koji Kondo, Uematsu, ect.) I also LOVE Hirokazu Ando (a lot of Kirby games). Also some of Daiske Iwatari's later stuff is really good (Guilty gear overture, some Blazblue songs, Guilty gear Isuka's credit theme). I don't care for his earlier stuff though. He seems to get markedly better with time.

Also Yoko Kanno is always great.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
My absolute favorite game composer is Kota Hoshino(Armoured Core. Seriously, the armored core 4 soundtrack is FANTASTIC. And for Answer). Aside from the obvious composers(Koji Kondo, Uematsu, ect.) I also LOVE Hirokazu Ando (a lot of Kirby games). Also some of Daiske Iwatari's later stuff is really good (Guilty gear overture, some Blazblue songs, Guilty gear Isuka's credit theme). I don't care for his earlier stuff though. He seems to get markedly better with time.

Also Yoko Kanno is always great.
Guilty Gear has very memorable tracks.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Some VGM composers use real instrumentation, instead of software. Only on higher budget titles, obviously.

Indeed, it's getting more common to have video game music actually being performed by orchestras and real instruments.
Honestly, there's still some charm to the game music of the 80's and 90's.
Sure, it may have been primitive, but there was that unforgettable talent behind it which made it brilliant.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Honestly, there's still some charm to the game music of the 80's and 90's.
Sure, it may have been primitive, but there was that unforgettable talent behind it which made it brilliant.
I think what made them so great was that they usually had great catchy tunes.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can sort of see what you mean but I do have two things to say.

Towards the pixelated part, if you could play it on the gamepad, how much would that solve the issue? Maybe even using headphones could fix that speaker issue.

Also, are you sure you aren't overestimating the importance of portability? After all, there are plenty of people asking for a main series console Pokemon game, (as in not like the stadium or shadow pokemon games.)

Heck, I've seen people who wanted a Wii U Bravely Default, despite that game really showing off and pushing what the 3ds can do, (aside from maybe the 3d effects, but I thought they were nice enough).

Though, I play most of my 3ds games at my house most of the time so maybe I just don't see what you see...

Really, all just opinions.
I agree with you on the gamepad part, but at least they could make them available on the 3DS too. Besides, I was more expecting GBA games on the 3DS and GCN games on the Wii U. I think it would make more sense that way considering how Wii U has NES, SNES and N64 games and the 3DS has GB and GBC games.

I think having GCN games on the Wii U and GBA games on the 3DS would be a better idea. Or perhaps make GBA games available on both platforms, like how NES games are avaiable on both platforms as well.

As for me overestimating the importance of portability, it's just me thinking that, since the GBA was a portable console, its games should have been available on a portable console. Some of the NES ambassador games eventually became available for everyone and I had the idea it would happen the same with the GBA games.

It was mind blowingly disappointing when I knew GBA games would be solely available on the Wii U. It makes no sense for me and never will.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Guilty Gear has very memorable tracks.
Very hit or miss for me. Like I said, I'm more likely to like/remember it the later it is. Like Simple life is my favorite(shame it has a HORRIBLE vocal version), Haven't you got eyes in your head is great(and has the thankfully has a really good vocal version), ect. And The Cat attached to the Rust is fantastic. Basically everything from overture is good. I do like some of the older one's though. Holy orders is always great, and Pride and Glory is really catchy. A lot of the other songs kind of bleed together for me. They have a distinct "guilty gear" quality to them but they don't differentiate enough from each other.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Oh yeah guys, is Golden Sun worth playing?
Definitely! Golden Sun 1 and 2 are very solid rpg games with great music and plot. 3 was... kinda mediocre compared to the first two, but its still playable. I hope Isaac is playable in Smash 4.

Very hit or miss for me. Like I said, I'm more likely to like/remember it the later it is. Like Simple life is my favorite(shame it has a HORRIBLE vocal version), Haven't you got eyes in your head is great(and has the thankfully has a really good vocal version), ect. And The Cat attached to the Rust is fantastic. Basically everything from overture is good. I do like some of the older one's though. Holy orders is always great, and Pride and Glory is really catchy. A lot of the other songs kind of bleed together for me. They have a distinct "guilty gear" quality to them but they don't differentiate enough from each other.
That's reasonable. Suck a Sage, Fuuga, Good Customs and Manners, The Original, Noontide, No Mercy, and Still in the Dark are all great tracks for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Oh yeah guys, is Golden Sun worth playing?
If you like the genera (turn based JRPG) then yes it won't disappoint.

I think what made them so great was that they usually had great catchy tunes.
One of the composers for Megaman (can't remember which one, maybe Matsume) once said that the reason classic game music is usually remembered so well and way more than a lot of modern game music is because with the limited technology not allowing for much complexity you had to focus everything around a really strong, really catchy simple melody, not unlike pop music(except written by classical grade composers). Now that gaming technology has improved there's been a move to much more complex songs and a lot of that complexity is lost on most listeners and just isn't as catchy or easy to remember.

Edit: Damn. I thought someone had posted something between my previous post and this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
@Favorite VGMusicians Discussion: Kirkhope and....Who was the person that did the music for Bomberman64?

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Apperently the Metal Gear Solid movie got canceled but is now back in development.
Films based on plot and cutscene intensive series like Metal Gear and Kingdom Hearts would be redundant as hell.

The games ARE the movies. The music, voice actors, and plots are already there.

The Metal Gear Solid movie may turn out nice, but I'm not expecting many of the scenes to be on the level of the original game's.

-----

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom