• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The face of Boe is the second episode

He may not seem important, for a while. But he WILL be

and You'll actually be seeing him even if you don't know you're seeing him. You'll find out. LOL

Rose Tyler is met in the first episode, though you probably have already seen her since she's in the episode you watched.

They fight plastic people, which will be important EVENTUALLY (11the doctor)
The point PI is trying to make is that Doctor Who often introduces concepts/monsters/etc., which are then reused later on in different contexts. Therefore, it's in your best interest to not skip episodes if you want to get the most out of the show.

Last year, I watched the entire NuWho run, from the Ninth to the Eleventh -- all except two episodes in Season Two called Love & Monsters and Fear Her, which are apparently especially atrocious (and can safely be skipped, it seems). Quite the experience, but I'm now up to date and ready for the next era of Doctor Who.

You may also find that the show has its ups and its downs. But it's a rollicking good time, most of the time. ;)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Doctor Who talk? Well, I haven't watched the show. I saw a couple story arcs with the first doctor (I think) on Netflix... if I recall correctly, one storyline was about going to some ancient South American civilization... and another storyline was about going to some empty dimension and they were seeing things...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just realized by skipping the first episode he is also missing out on the introduction of Mickey

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, it's the birthday of one of the most awesome members of this forum today

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
There's a lack of Pic Of The Day.

EDIT: Never mind...

It looks like cuccos are gonna be items. SSF2 anyone?

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Aw gawd.

The president is in the Netherlands. I feel special.

Anyhow...

I want to start buying more games that are non-Nintendo and aren't Metal Gear or Sonic.

Soooo...are Tekken 6 and Bioshock good games?
If not...than..Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Bioshock Infinite...

Should I buy any of these 4?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aw gawd.

The president is in the Netherlands. I feel special.

Anyhow...

I want to start buying more games that are non-Nintendo and aren't Metal Gear or Sonic.

Soooo...are Tekken 6 and Bioshock good games?
If not...than..Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Bioshock Infinite...

Should I buy any of these 4?
I'm a fan of the Tekken games. I would say that either Tekken 6 or Tekken Tag 2 are worth it. More so with Tekken Tag 2. Since that game has more characters and a more active online community. Though if you want a game with a campaign mode, Tekken 6 might be up more your alley. Both games have plenty of customization to mess around with too. And some extra single player modes like Survival, Time Attack, and Team Battle that some recent fighters seem to really lack these days. So there's something else to keep you occupied.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I still can't get over the fact of how in Dishonored a prominent character is known as The Outside and he gives you his mark, effectively The Mark of The Outside.

That had to be ripped from The Last Story. :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They had a video on youtube called "Teens react to Nirvana"

It's good to know SOME teens today have good taste in music.

I grew up on Nirvana.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I gave up on popular music a long time ago.
Now I spend my days listening to music from an 80's computer.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does anyone think we'll be getting any newcomer villains/antagonists in this game? It seems like every potential choice for a villain keeps getting shot down by people doubting their chances. At this point, I'm curious if anyone actually thinks we'll be getting any newcomer villains at all.

Here's some of the reasons I've heard against each character:

Ridley - too big, potential stage hazard
King K. Rool - no longer relevant, Nintendo is bias against Rare characters
Medusa - made to look weak in KI:U.
Hades/Ghirahim/Demise/Lord Frederick: one-shot villains that will probably never appear again
Bowser Jr. - too many Mario reps already

Also, does anybody know where the correct place to put a moveset idea for a potential newcomer would be? I just had a cool idea for a Lysandre moveset that I'd like to share and get feedback on, but I'm not sure where to put it.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Does anyone think we'll be getting any newcomer villains/antagonists in this game? It seems like every potential choice for a villain keeps getting shot down by people doubting their chances. At this point, I'm curious if anyone actually thinks we'll be getting any newcomer villains at all.

Hades/Ghirahim/Demise/Lord Frederick: one-shot villains that will probably never appear again

Also, does anybody know where the correct place to put a moveset idea for a potential newcomer would be? I just had a cool idea for a Lysandre moveset that I'd like to share and get feedback on, but I'm not sure where to put it.
It's a good thing those reasons against Ridley hold no water. :laugh:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

If you want to get some legit constructive criticism for your movesets, I would suggest going to the Make Your Move threads. They have good input. As for the villains, I would say wait and see. Honestly, some of the arguments for certain characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and to a lesser extent Bowser Jr. have been done to death. But so far none of them have been fully de-confirmed as playable characters.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Something is telling me we will either have a mini Nintendo direct with a Snake reveal or a Jigglypuff pic of the day reveal this week.

But something else is telling me i'm wrong.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Does your use of this photo reveal you as a Fringe fan?

'Cause I'm one myself. :)
I like the show. I'm not as big of a fan as my dad is. But I thought it was pretty good.

I was disappointed by the last season though. I think it should have ended at season 4, the last episode of season 4 would have been a good ending too imo. My fave episode was the one where they went into Olivia's mind to get her bacl, the one were they became animated.

Walter is best mad scientist as well. xD

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Fringe was decent at best until Season 4. S4 and 5 **** all over the show, and that ending... Ugh. One of the worst.
Pretty bad X-Files rip-off all considering.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I like the show. I'm not as big of a fan as my dad is. But I thought it was pretty good.

I was disappointed by the last season though. I think it should have ended at season 4, the last episode of season 4 would have been a good ending too imo. My fave episode was the one where they went into Olivia's mind to get her bacl, the one were they became animated.

Walter is best mad scientist as well. xD
I'm what you might consider a Fringe superfan. I've watched almost every episode live since the beginning, and spent many an hour discussing episodes and crafting wild theories on a show-related forum. I've acquired kind of an encyclopedic knowledge of the show as a result. XD

S4 was a bold experiment that didn't quite come together, I found. You had a lot of interesting individual ingredients that never quite coalesced. I also found the S4 endgame to have had the same issue; it had neat ideas, but they didn't come together, and so the season resolution lost steam.

I preferred S5 to S4, especially because the Observers are my favourite aspect of the show. The last season did have some faults, but I enjoyed it plentifully.

The animated episode was pretty good. I thought 4.19 was very cool when it first aired, though I think I ultimately prefer episode 5.09 out of all the Special Trippy episodes.

Fringe was decent at best until Season 4. S4 and 5 **** all over the show, and that ending... Ugh. One of the worst.
Heh. Yeah, the transition from S3 to S4 was very polarizing. The show never quite recovered from that point, in the eyes of most.

The logistics of the series resolution still baffle me to this day, though I found the character stuff decent enough.

I haven't seen X-Files, though I do remember Fringe was strongly associated with it in its early days. I wouldn't consider it a rip-off, however; they're only similar in that they have a semi-procedural format, the shared premise archetype of law enforcement investigating strange phenomena, and perhaps conceptual similarities between Olivia and Scully.

I do intend to watch X-Files at some point. It will be interesting to do so having watched Fringe first, I reckon.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I was exaggerating, but yeah, X-Files is something else. It's also like double the episodes and double the quality.
The problem with Fringe was the characters. In the end, they were pretty boring or uninteresting. The story suffered from that.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

I'm what you might consider a Fringe superfan. I've watched almost every episode live since the beginning, and spent many an hour discussing episodes and crafting wild theories on a show-related forum. I've acquired kind of an encyclopedic knowledge of the show as a result. XD

S4 was a bold experiment that didn't quite come together, I found. You had a lot of interesting individual ingredients that never quite coalesced. I also found the S4 endgame to have had the same issue; it had neat ideas, but they didn't come together, and so the season resolution lost steam.

I preferred S5 to S4, especially because the Observers are my favourite aspect of the show. The last season did have some faults, but I enjoyed it plentifully.

The animated episode was pretty good. I thought 4.19 was very cool when it first aired, though I think I ultimately prefer episode 5.09 out of all the Special Trippy episodes.
Eh. S5 just disappointed me because it relied on a overused plot device too much. S4 had it too, and maybe S3 used it to too (been a while since I watched it), but it didn't rely on it nearly as much. Time travel just gets overused too much imo. e_e

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I was exaggerating, but yeah, X-Files is something else. It's also like double the episodes and double the quality.
The problem with Fringe was the characters. In the end, they were pretty boring or uninteresting. The story suffered from that.
I hear X-Files starts out pretty good, but that it lived too long, and that it steadily declined in quality over its nine seasons.

I found the characters in Fringe to have been interesting, to a degree. Clearly, Walter is the most interesting one (helped by John Noble's performance), though the principal cast wasn't shabby. And the Doppelgangers was a rather interesting device, in that it allowed to explore characters by contrasts.

September was probably my favourite character overall, though. :grin:

Eh. S5 just disappointed me because it relied on a overused plot device too much. S4 had it too, and maybe S3 used it to too (been a while since I watched it), but it didn't rely on it nearly as much. Time travel just gets overused too much imo. e_e
You consider time-travel to be a plot device?

A plot device is a narrative construct use to facilitate some aspect of your storytelling. An example of a plot device in Fringe might be Henry Dunham, who existed purely to facilitate the S3 endgame. Time-travel is more of a genre, where specific applications of time-travel could be considered tropes or conventions of that subgenre (e.g. a time-loop is a convention of time-travel).

The show does get heavy on the timey-wimey in the latter half, yeah. But it had enough Space to balance out the Time, I found, what with the whole multiversal and quantum mechanical doohickery.

I could talk about the show for days. At this point, I practically know it inside and out. So as to not flood this thread with long-ass posts, shoot me a PM if you're interested to talk about it further, or have questions about the show, or so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom