• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You consider time-travel to be a plot device?

A plot device is a narrative construct use to facilitate some aspect of your storytelling. An example of a plot device in Fringe might be Henry Dunham, who existed purely to facilitate the S3 endgame. Time-travel is more of a genre, where specific applications of time-travel could be considered tropes or conventions of that subgenre (e.g. a time-loop is a convention of time-travel).
A plot device is anything used to move the story forward. Time traveling in Fringe falls under that.

To quote Wikipedia

A plot device can be anything which moves the plot forward or maintains it.[1]

A contrived or arbitrary plot device may annoy or confuse the reader, causing a loss of the suspension of disbelief. However a well-crafted plot device, or one that emerges naturally from the setting or characters of the story, may be entirely accepted, or may even be unnoticed by the audience.
Basically most things are plot devices as long as the move the story forward, which the time traveling aspect does in Fringe. Time travel is most certainly a plot device.

The show does get heavy on the timey-wimey in the latter half, yeah. But it had enough Space to balance out the Time, I found, what with the whole multiversal and quantum mechanical doohickery.
It should have just stuck with the parallel worlds imo. xD

I could talk about the show for days. At this point, I practically know it inside and out. So as to not flood this thread with long-*** posts, shoot me a PM if you're interested to talk about it further, or have questions about the show, or so forth.
Eh. This thread need some livening up anyway. xD

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
A plot device is anything used to move the story forward. Time traveling in Fringe falls under that.

To quote Wikipedia [...]

Basically most things are plot devices as long as the move the story forward, which the time traveling aspect does in Fringe. Time travel is most certainly a plot device.
The colloquial usage of the term, in my experience, is better reflected by the second half of your quoted definition -- that is, an arbitrary or contrived development in a given narrative.

Barring thorough storytelling dissection and analysis, people only talk about plot devices when they stick out at you. A good plot device doesn't interrupt suspension of disbelief because the strings of an effective plot device are invisible to the audience. More glaring devices do stick out, however, enough to disrupt the story.

So talk of plot devices usually have negative connotations to them, in the television talk that I've engaged in the past 5-6 years (e.g. "Oh, that's a glaring plot device"). And this, because obvious plot devices are perceived as a sign of lazy or poor writing.

Besides, if everything is labelled as a plot device, then the term loses value. When analyzing narratives, you're better off using more specific terminology, in such a case -- terms like conventions, tropes, cliches, MacGuffins, and so forth.

When it comes to Fringe, I'd personally qualify the use of time-travel as a storytelling vehicle, rather than a plot device (since time-travel is used as the context within which the drama and plot unfold). Often times, I find the term plot device to be too simplistic and reductive for the purposes of discussing storytelling (since it has such a broad and general application), which is why I tend to refrain from using the term.

It should have just stuck with the parallel worlds imo. xD
I'm sure this is not a minority view. What I appreciate most of Fringe is that it delved into such things as quantum mechanics and parallel realities, which is not something seen often in televised (/serialized) sci-fi-genre series. When dealing with Space and Time, it's only fair to touch on the latter at some point (they began dipping their toes in it as early as late S2, with the White Tulip episode). So I appreciated the increasing prominence of time-travel, especially since they had grounded the spatial aspects by then (i.e. differing realities).

I actually found that Fringe handled time-travel pretty well in S2-S3-S4, in terms of internal consistency and whatnot. The only point where it kind of fell apart was in S5, when it came to the Observers and the series resolution. Which remains unfortunate, as it kind of sours the impression you have the entire journey (and spoils it outright for some).

Whatever the case, pretty sure everyone has things they would have changed or done differently in the show. I certainly do. ;)

Eh. This thread need some livening up anyway. xD
What do you mean? This place is always lively. :lick:

I need to go see if there's a television thread on this forum. That's a topic that I'm always game to discuss.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Parallel realities not used in sci fi series?

What about Sliders?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Parallel realities not used in sci fi series?

What about Sliders?
Such series certainly exist, but they're in a minority -- if not in number, then certainly in recognition and popularity (and pop-cultural impact). And there are many shows that do the periodic Alternate Universe/Timeline episode (e.g. Star Trek), but such shows don't focus specifically on parallel realities as a central premise or theme.

In the pantheon of sci-fi television, you have several broad categories:

-Space Operas (Star Trek, Farscape, BSG, Stargate, etc.)
-Alien Invasion/Occupation/First Contact (X-Files, First Wave, V, etc.)
-Time-Travel (Sarah Connor Chronicles, Continuum, Doctor Who, etc.)
-Superhumans (Heroes, Alphas, etc.)
-Parallel Universes/Realities (Sliders, Quantum Leap, Fringe, etc.)

I'd throw in a category for robots/androids/technological advances, but my mind is going a little blank at the moment. And there may be other categories that I've neglected. :ohwell:

Whatever the case, among the multiverse-centered series, Fringe is even more distinct, since it's one of the few shows (that I'm aware of) that so heavily borrow from actual quantum mechanical concepts (e.g. superposition, entanglement, etc.). The inspiration is often loose, mind you, but it's nonetheless liberal inspiration. And Fringe also inspires itself from modern, cutting-edge science in general, so the show is riddled with technical (pseudo)scientific jargon and whatnot.

As a result of these elements, I'd consider Fringe to be a fairly unique addition to the sci-fi television continuum.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I decided to become a Nintendo/Sony fanboy. I just watched some gameplay of Sony franchises...and I must say.. I never realized what I have missed.

Already got the money for PS4 just need some more for Vita.

Planning on buying Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain, Shadow Fall, Second Son and that new upcoming Uncharted game all for PS4.

As for Vita...probably Gravity Rush, Battle Royale, LBP and some others.

I never was into mature games (or 18+ games is how we call it in the Netherlands), that is about to change.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I decided to become a Nintendo/Sony fanboy. I just watched some gameplay of Sony franchises...and I must say.. I never realized what I have missed.

Planning on buying Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain, Shadow Fall, Second Son and that new upcoming Uncharted game all for PS4.

I never was into mature games (or 18+ games is how we call it in the Netherlands), that is about to change.
Well, tell me how it goes.
I've been planning on getting a Vita, but never got around to it (just didn't fit my needs in terms of games).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The colloquial usage of the term, in my experience, is better reflected by the second half of your quoted definition -- that is, an arbitrary or contrived development in a given narrative.

Barring thorough storytelling dissection and analysis, people only talk about plot devices when they stick out at you. A good plot device doesn't interrupt suspension of disbelief because the strings of an effective plot device are invisible to the audience. More glaring devices do stick out, however, enough to disrupt the story.

So talk of plot devices usually have negative connotations to them, in the television talk that I've engaged in the past 5-6 years (e.g. "Oh, that's a glaring plot device"). And this, because obvious plot devices are perceived as a sign of lazy or poor writing.

Besides, if everything is labelled as a plot device, then the term loses value. When analyzing narratives, you're better off using more specific terminology, in such a case -- terms like conventions, tropes, cliches, MacGuffins, and so forth.

When it comes to Fringe, I'd personally qualify the use of time-travel as a storytelling vehicle, rather than a plot device (since time-travel is used as the context within which the drama and plot unfold). Often times, I find the term plot device to be too simplistic and reductive for the purposes of discussing storytelling (since it has such a broad and general application), which is why I tend to refrain from using the term.
This is where I differ from other people.

I have a tendency to process things rather..... differently at times. I don't see a plot device in and of itself as a bad or good thing. It's what the plot device is that matters. And I look at a plot Device as the statement is written, by that I mean it is a device that relates to the overall plot of the story and moves it forward. I also don't think a plot device has to go unnoticed and if it is noticed it doesn't necessarily disrupt the story.

But I just look at things in a different way at times. xD

I'm sure this is not a minority view. What I appreciate most of Fringe is that it delved into such things as quantum mechanics and parallel realities, which is not something seen often in televised (/serialized) sci-fi-genre series. When dealing with Space and Time, it's only fair to touch on the latter at some point (they began dipping their toes in it as early as late S2, with the White Tulip episode). So I appreciated the increasing prominence of time-travel, especially since they had grounded the spatial aspects by then (i.e. differing realities).

I actually found that Fringe handled time-travel pretty well in S2-S3-S4, in terms of internal consistency and whatnot. The only point where it kind of fell apart was in S5, when it came to the Observers and the series resolution. Which remains unfortunate, as it kind of sours the impression you have the entire journey (and spoils it outright for some).

Whatever the case, pretty sure everyone has things they would have changed or done differently in the show. I certainly do. ;)
S2, S3, and S4 did a well enough job of handling it yes. But I contribute that to the fact that it wasn't the center of it. It was done in a way that didn't bug me as much because it was quite as important. S5 though, eh.

I'm just tired of time travel is all. EVERYTHING seems to be trying to use it. Even Awakening used it. >_>

What do you mean? This place is always lively. :lick:
Not recently it hasn't. xD

I'm more of Nintendo/Microsoft myself.

Only reason I asked for a PS3 in the first place was only for KH 1.5 and 2.5.

However KH3 is gonna be both on the PS4 and Xbone. The Xbone will have, overall, the more exclusive games I would want them the PS4, Halo and Gears of War are the big ones, whereas most games I would be interested in on the PS4 will almost certainly get on the Xbone as well.

My next gen console want list is the Wii-U and Xbone (no plans to get the Xbone till KH3 is announced or Xbone systems get fixed, and Wii-U is whenever I get the chance). Outside of the PS1 era though, the time Spyro was exclusive to Sony and actually good, I never really been interested in Sony all that much.

-----------------

On a different note about Dark Souls.

I still can't be the giant ass demon boss thingy on that pathway. I've tried like 5 times now. It knocks me down every time while I'm guarding. So I decided to do a bit more exploring around the area in the Undead Burg before it. I noticed a flight of steps I missed that went downward. The was monster thing covered all in black armor. Thing moved fast xD. And I did less damage to it then I do to the giant demon boss. Yet I was able to kill it with bombs and got it's sword, but I don't meet the requirements for it. Maybe I can use a similar strategy for the boss.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
What kind of game?
2d platformer ala megaman. Its actually pretty cool, can't shoot yet, but we made most of the engine
Here's a screenshot
EDIT:So would you guys want to buy my game for like $2 and play it? Once it is done of course.
upload_2014-3-24_18-8-28.png

Last edited:

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
I have no idea what's going on in that screenshot, and it looks intense, so good luck with that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Moving this over from the Characters thread:

I don't see what was so weak about it, the pokemon selection was fantastic, the starters were all great pokemon and each can reasonably be used in competitive for different things, the legendaries are great looking, music's great, locations are nice, the villains are a breath of fresh air, the characters are pretty interesting, AZ especially, all the new additions to the series have been done well (Pokemon Amie, Fairy type, super training, insta-wifi, mega evolution, etc.) and the competitive scene is easily the best the series has seen.
For on topic Smash talk...there will be pokemon in Smash Bros. :p
Personally, I felt most of those elements weren't done to the full extent. The music I didn't enjoy that much as I did the other games. The legendaries look good, but lack a good backstory or impact compared to their predecessors, the latter of which is especially a problem for the villain team and AZ.

Collectively they do rather little overall in the game, and then they try to dump everything relevant to the story on you in a short amount of time, and for a team and character that's going for a rather deep narrative, that's a poor choice as they didn't allow themselves to properly develop the elements they wanted to do. This especially shows with AZ and Lysandre, the former appeared once before the big event, and then throws his lifestory at you, you don't see his suffering really and while the reunion we get is touching, it's not as effective as it could've been. We don't get attached to the character as much, and what emotion we could've gotten from him is more muted because of that rushed pacing. Lysandre suffers in that we don't see any of the "world problems" he complains about, the people he hates ironically make up the majority of his team, they don't really talk about his descent into madness, and there's some questionable story decisions made with him like announcing that he was going to blow up the world on a transmitter for all to hear (somewhere, that grunt from Team Plasma is laughing). Same with the other characters aside from Emma, Looker, Malva and Korrina.

That's not to say I hate the games though, I do enjoy them. I like the updates they did to the gameplay such as Wifi, I like Pokemon-Amie, I do like the idea of Megas though as I already admitted I found the execution to be a bit botched, and I do like that they made such a vast selection of Pokémon though I do wish there were a bit more new ones to play around with. The bad points aren't enough to kill the game for me and I still go back to them, but they are enough to disappoint me in some ways.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I still need to get myself a PS3. After I upgrade my 3DS to a 3DS XL... and buy Mario Kart 8... and... you know. I'll get to it eventually.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm not too interested in buying a new home console, actually. Still going to buy a Wii U for Smash 4, though, but that's pretty much the reason for me to get a Wii U (or a home console at all).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm not too interested in buying a new home console, actually. Still going to buy a Wii U for Smash 4, though, but that's pretty much the reason for me to get a Wii U (or a home console at all).
Basically my thinking too.
In fact I'm going backwards and investing in consoles like N64 and SNES.
Next gen? Please.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Unrelated to console talk, but I really hope that Smash WiiU has a stage from the Pokemon games on the Gamecube. I'd really like that music (especially XD's soundtrack) in Smash.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
This is where I differ from other people.

I have a tendency to process things rather..... differently at times. I don't see a plot device in and of itself as a bad or good thing. It's what the plot device is that matters. And I look at a plot Device as the statement is written, by that I mean it is a device that relates to the overall plot of the story and moves it forward. I also don't think a plot device has to go unnoticed and if it is noticed it doesn't necessarily disrupt the story.

But I just look at things in a different way at times. xD
I'm well aware that in itself, a plot device -- in the sense of a nuts-and-bolts writing mechanic -- is neither good or bad. It is simply that often times, they're easier to spot when they're poorly done, since they then stick out more, like if you see through a street magician's sleight of hand. And as a result, when discussed, they tend to be discussed in a negative light.

I see serialized shows as a theater play. Plot devices, and other storytelling gears, consist of the ropes and pulleys behind the stage. An effective story makes these underpinnings subtle and unseen, since the point is to draw the audience into the actual play on stage through the performance of the actors, the script, the set design, etc. (and in a television show, the writing/internal consistency/pacing/special effects/etc.). If the props suck, if the performances are amateurish, if you keep on seeing things behind the scenes that distract from the onstage drama, then the experience as a whole is diminished.

In this respect, a television writer, for instance, is like an illusionist. You know it's all a fabrication, but their job is to nonetheless mesmerize you with their showmanship and skill. That's what Suspension of Disbelief is supposed to be about, or so I would think.

As someone interested in the craft of storytelling, I'm certainly able to analyze a work from a technical perspective. But I'm also game with just following whatever's going on screen. If I have a way in which I "experience" fiction, it's in that I just want to know how everything fits together (just as many strokes of a brush give rise to a full painting).

I think what you term plot device, I simply term plot development (i.e. an event that occurs to the characters, or occurs as a result of their actions). A story moves forward as a result of the actions and reactions of the given set of characters, after all.

To then be actively analyzing a story as a sequence of events the whole way through -- A happens, which leads to B, which leads to C -- is certainly not an experience I've had (A relates to B, which is not connected to C, but is tied to D, etc.). I suppose whereas you're interested in causality (what happens), I'm more interested in interconnectedness (how everything fits).

As a result, your lack of enthusiasm for the saturation of time-travel stories is understandable. :p

S2, S3, and S4 did a well enough job of handling it yes. But I contribute that to the fact that it wasn't the center of it. It was done in a way that didn't bug me as much because it was quite as important. S5 though, eh.

I'm just tired of time travel is all. EVERYTHING seems to be trying to use it. Even Awakening used it. >_>
That's a fair assessment. I was speaking more about how the actual logistics of time-travel held up rather well under scrutiny -- which is rather surprising (I say this as someone who spent many an hour deconstructing Fringe's execution of time-travel with other viewers).

It's true that time-travel is a prevalent and recurring vehicle in sci-fi, television or otherwise. When it came to Fringe, though, I didn't find it overbearing because by that point, I was already well on board with the characters/world/plot/etc. (and as an ardent fan of the Observers, I appreciated S5 more than most).

Time-travel is a highly malleable and convenient mechanism, so it's no surprise that it's used so extensively. I'm not quite so burned out on the concept, however. And I suppose that it's hard to innovate with time-travel, since the real-life rules and applications of time-travel (if any) are not yet know to us (that, and we are bound by the limits of linear perception). Hard to think outside the box when you don't actually know the size or shape of the box. XP

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Unrelated to console talk, but I really hope that Smash WiiU has a stage from the Pokemon games on the Gamecube. I'd really like that music (especially XD's soundtrack) in Smash.
Wanna know something interesting? I got into contact with the composer of XD's soundtrack, Tsukasa Tawada. He's a really cool guy, believe it or not. (He actually follows me on soundcloud :D) He mentioned to me that Miror B.'s theme was inspired by his time in clubs during his youth. Really cool to be told something like that.

(Psst! His soundcloud's here! He plays a ton of classical music on the piano in his spare time.)

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Ah Colosseum and XD...I grew up with those games. Brings back memories. In regards to Smash, wouldn't it be interesting if Wes was a Pokemon newcomer?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Pokemon has always been "The jack of all trades" of the rpg world.

It's a series that is not really a master of anything to begin with.

The story has never been the strong point of any pokemon and has been kinda just a thing that was there for all Pokemon games. (Excluding spin offs.)

Honestly, the way you described it doesn't make it sound any different from other pokemon games. All Pokemon games seemed have those problems with the story. What made this game a bigger deal?

Really, I can forgive most of Pokemon X and Y faults because it tried a lot of new things that hopefully become staples.

We got Pokemon Amie, Customization of outfits, Mega Evolutions, Fairy Typing, Competitive battle improvements, 3d, Super Training, better online services, inverse battles, Pokemon Bank (More a gen 6 in general improvement), PR videos, O-powers, friend safari, and probably more.

They may not be at their best now, but give them time and all of these could grow into beautiful things. GameFreak just needed to test out the waters. I'm not expecting next game to be where all the improvements are implemented, but maybe next generation. All that needs to be done is to wait.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, the way you described it doesn't make it sound any different from other pokemon games. All Pokemon games seemed have those problems with the story. What made this game a bigger deal?
Because to be quite honest, I feel it's worse about it. I honestly felt it was a step back from Gen 4 and 5 in terms of storytelling as it went back to the generic Gym Leaders, rushed the pacing of their teams, the backstory of the legendaries and region is rather underdeveloped, and the characters are underdeveloped. I won't say Pokémon is perfect in that area, but the previous games were much better about it then it was here.

Really, I can forgive most of Pokemon X and Y faults because it tried a lot of new things that hopefully become staples.

We got Pokemon Amie, Customization of outfits, Mega Evolutions, Fairy Typing, Competitive battle improvements, 3d, Super Training, better online services, inverse battles, Pokemon Bank (More a gen 6 in general improvement), PR videos, O-powers, friend safari, and probably more.

They may not be at their best now, but give them time and all of these could grow into beautiful things. GameFreak just needed to test out the waters. I'm not expecting next game to be where all the improvements are implemented, but maybe next generation. All that needs to be done is to wait.
Yes, but does that mean the faults aren't there now? They are first attempts, but that doesn't mean we can't critique those attempts as they are. The other generations get critiqued for their flaws with old and new mechanics so I don't see why that has to be completely overlooked for Gen 6 either. Those mistakes are still mistakes that can be looked at critically.

I'm not saying what they added were bad because I feel quite the opposite, but they do need to be improved as some of those attempts aren't as good as they could've been.

Am I the only one who prefers this one better?
Personally, I like both versions.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Just finished Tropical Freeze. WOW that was great!

The levels were challenging, varied, hectic, and had some real personality to them... The graphics were pretty damn nice... but above all the soundtrack was GODLIKE (seriously best soundtrack of the year no doubt).

This felt like the kind of game that was purposefully made for the older generation of gamers that miss the challenge and appeal of old school platformers. I was seriously close to ripping my hair out on a few levels lol.

9/10 best game I've played on WiiU so far, which is surprising because I didn't expect to enjoy it even more than SM3DW.

Now it's time to wait for the next big WiiU title... MARIO KART 8

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Just finished Tropical Freeze. WOW that was great!

The levels were challenging, varied, hectic, and had some real personality to them... The graphics were pretty damn nice... but above all the soundtrack was GODLIKE (seriously best soundtrack of the year no doubt).

This felt like the kind of game that was purposefully made for the older generation of gamers that miss the challenge and appeal of old school platformers. I was seriously close to ripping my hair out on a few levels lol.
My favorite level in Tropical Freeze is probably 2-B Rodent Ruckus. Love that arrangement, plus Rocketbarrel levels are really fun in that game.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
My favorite level in Tropical Freeze is probably 2-B Rodent Ruckus. Love that arrangement, plus Rocketbarrel levels are really fun in that game.
Ahh yeah that was a good one.

Mine would have to be either Grassland Groove or Amiss Abyss. It's no coincidence that those 2 levels happen to contain my 2 favorite tracks in the entire game. xD

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm well aware that in itself, a plot device -- in the sense of a nuts-and-bolts writing mechanic -- is neither good or bad. It is simply that often times, they're easier to spot when they're poorly done, since they then stick out more, like if you see through a street magician's sleight of hand. And as a result, when discussed, they tend to be discussed in a negative light.

I see serialized shows as a theater play. Plot devices, and other storytelling gears, consist of the ropes and pulleys behind the stage. An effective story makes these underpinnings subtle and unseen, since the point is to draw the audience into the actual play on stage through the performance of the actors, the script, the set design, etc. (and in a television show, the writing/internal consistency/pacing/special effects/etc.). If the props suck, if the performances are amateurish, if you keep on seeing things behind the scenes that distract from the onstage drama, then the experience as a whole is diminished.

In this respect, a television writer, for instance, is like an illusionist. You know it's all a fabrication, but their job is to nonetheless mesmerize you with their showmanship and skill. That's what Suspension of Disbelief is supposed to be about, or so I would think.

As someone interested in the craft of storytelling, I'm certainly able to analyze a work from a technical perspective. But I'm also game with just following whatever's going on screen. If I have a way in which I "experience" fiction, it's in that I just want to know how everything fits together (just as many strokes of a brush give rise to a full painting).

I think what you term plot device, I simply term plot development (i.e. an event that occurs to the characters, or occurs as a result of their actions). A story moves forward as a result of the actions and reactions of the given set of characters, after all.

To then be actively analyzing a story as a sequence of events the whole way through -- A happens, which leads to B, which leads to C -- is certainly not an experience I've had (A relates to B, which is not connected to C, but is tied to D, etc.). I suppose whereas you're interested in causality (what happens), I'm more interested in interconnectedness (how everything fits).

As a result, your lack of enthusiasm for the saturation of time-travel stories is understandable. :p
I get what you are saying. But I still see the stuff as plot devices. xD

The funny thing is. I almost always just go with the flow when I red books and watch movies and stuff. I just naturally find plot devices easily, yes I'm talking about the more obscure ones here, and it's never interrupted the story for me before, in fact I like finding them because it helps to make sense of the story better imo.

When I graduate high school and get into college I want to get into the literature area as that's what I do best in and enjoy the most. What I really wanna do is write books, most with the fantasy genre, but that isn't very practical this day and age unless I somehow became the next Stephen King. I also have interest in script writing for things like plays/movies/tv shows/video games.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Yes, but does that mean the faults aren't there? They are first attempts, but that doesn't mean we can't critique those attempts as they are. Gen 3 for instnace gets critiqued for its flaws despite the new things it brought, as does most of the other generations. I don't see why that has to be completely overlooked for Gen 6 either.

I'm not saying what they added were bad because I feel quite the opposite, but they do need to be improved.

Personally, I like both versions.
Of course, talking about flaws is a pretty standard thing, but did you noticed that your negative points you go into great detail into but your positive points you just pass over? The good points are just as important, if not more so, than the negative points. They are the points you enjoy after all so you gotta make sure the game companies keep them in and improve them. How does one improve something when they don't know what was liked about it in the first place?

It makes your entire critique sound more harsh then intended to be when you didn't give as much attention to the great things about the game. It just makes the game sound bad even with the disclaimer, and thats not fair to Gamefreak and the consumers is it?

I'm all for people talking about the flaws in the games, but it helps to also praise a game as well.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Of course, talking about flaws is a pretty standard thing, but did you noticed that your negative points you go into great detail into but your positive points you just pass over? The good points are just as important, if not more so, than the negative points. They are the points you enjoy after all so you gotta make sure the game companies keep them in and improve them. How does one improve something when they don't know what was liked about it in the first place?

It makes your entire critique sound more harsh then intended to be when you didn't give as much attention to the great things about the game. It just makes the game sound bad even with the disclaimer, and thats not fair to Gamefreak and the consumers is it?

I'm all for people talking about the flaws in the games, but it helps to also praise a game as well.
I was responding to a post that asked for the negatives about the game so I didn't focus on the positives, if I was asked for a more accurate review you'd have a point, but that was not what was asked so it wasn't addressed in that manner.

Really, I feel you're trying to put a more negative spin on what I'm trying to say. I was trying to give my thoughts on where I felt the game wasn't as good on, not that it was the only thing that mattered, otherwise I wouldn't have given those good points at all. You're looking for context that is not present and focusing on the negative aspects.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I get what you are saying. But I still see the stuff as plot devices. xD

The funny thing is. I almost always just go with the flow when I red books and watch movies and stuff. I just naturally find plot devices easily, yes I'm talking about the more obscure ones here, and it's never interrupted the story for me before, in fact I like finding them because it helps to make sense of the story better imo.

When I graduate high school and get into college I want to get into the literature area as that's what I do best in and enjoy the most. What I really wanna do is write books, most with the fantasy genre, but that isn't very practical this day and age unless I somehow became the next Stephen King. I also have interest in script writing for things like plays/movies/tv shows/video games.
I guess for me, it's more that I absorb all the information I'm presented with like a sponge, then work out the connections between elements. A story is like a sculpture made of words, to my eyes.

As it happens, I also have writerly aspirations. Someday, I too will be a best-selling genre author and a household name in the homes of millions. >8D

You know, maybe we can be of use to one another. I'll message you in a bit.

Speaking of Fantasy, I'm currently reading Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance, the second book in his Stormlight Archive saga (which is super awesome). He's the guy who finished The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed, and he's a very fast and prolific writer (and is actually fairly food in his own right). He's known for his intricate and inventive magic systems and worldbuilding.

If you aren't familiar with him, I recommend you try the Mistborn trilogy, which is a good place to start with Sanderson. People eating metal to gain superpowers is not something you see everyday. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom