• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I've seen a few things on attack on titan, the whole permise is bit too dark for my taste regardless of how goofy the monsters look.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Like I said, watch the anime. You clearly have the wrong idea of what is the anime about. I dislike it when people don't know what they're talking about.
Yeah, it's about time I said this.
To be fair, I rarely watch TV period. I haven't had cable for a few years now.
Because of that, I have a hard time watching shows. They just don't interest me like before.
Heck, even with the few that I do watch I still have to power through.

I just can't watch shows like I used to.
I've become, "jaded". If you will.

Now granted, I'll give you that.
I haven't, so who am I to judge?

It's not that weird. Give it a try. It explores some themes I found interesting.
Well, that's not what I'm getting at.
There's a reason why I put "Or is that just me?" at the end.

But, I also have a soft spot for some of the weirder anime out there.

Yes, it has gory deaths, but there's more to Attack on Titan than silly looking giants eating people alive. Mainly, it's a story about survival. It's a post-apocalyptic story where humanity is on the verge of extinction. The remaining civilization is confined to walls that protect them from the Titans and give an illusion of peace. Only a few dare to venture outside of the walls to fight the Titans and, out of those few, even fewer make it back alive. THIS is what Attack on Titan is about.

Given this context, the Titans aren't that funny anymore, are they?
So, like most other reasons why they've disappeared.
Yeah, maybe it's because this is all text, but it really doesn't sound "threatening".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Go watch the anime.

The memes make them look funny because the gifs take out a lot of the atmosphere the anime gives. They lack the characters' despair and the excellently done soundtrack. In short, they take them out of context and make them seem like a joke.
Take the spider one I posted. When you watch the actual scene, you can really emphasize with characters. When I first saw that scene, I was genuinely terrified at the thought of being in Sasha's shoes.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, Yoshi's New Island got TERRIBLE reviews... I'm kinda bummed out now, The original Yoshi's Island is one of my top 10 games of all time....

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think the problem was with it is they played it way way too safe. They copy and pasted so much and did very little to make it stand out from the others in the series, which ironically is what the original did by shaking up the Mario forumla. I guess for the lack of a better term, it seems to lack soul.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So have a date with my girlfriend today! Pretty excited!
Having dates with ones girl friend is pretty normal. It's more exciting to have dates with someone else's girlfriend. (I kid, I kid.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not really that interested on Yoshi's New Island. And I hear Paper Mario Sticker Star took away a lot of the elements that Paper Mario is known for, so I see why it had such a negative reception. Still shouldn't stop some people from liking it, though.

You can watch it online... >_> If you're lucky enough to live in certain places, you can even do it legally.

Once again, I dare you to try. Just watch the first few episodes and see if you like it. That cynical attitude of yours is stopping you from experiencing it, but then again, it's your loss, so I couldn't care less if you watch it or not.

I respect that you may not like the premise of the story, but anyway, you had a very wrong idea of what is the anime about, something which I've clarified. The gifs and memes hardly do the anime any justice and only make people have the wrong idea about it. I'm not against the memes themselves, as some are funny and got some laughs out of them, but watching the anime is a completely different experience. It's all about context.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU ARE A WEAK HOMO SAPIEN OR A SQUIRELL
How about warning for spoilers? Just put a warning. You don't have to put the video in a spoiler box.

Granted, I've watched the entire anime, but that video contains spoilers anyway.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
How about warning for spoilers? Just put a warning. You don't have to put the video in a spoiler box.

Granted, I've watched the entire anime, but that video contains spoilers anyway.
You'd expect spoilers with the word "all" in the video title.

Sorry....I expect every human being to be like me and don't give a **** about spoilers.

I haven't watched it...but as a one of a kind person, it's how I roll.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't wait to stay up next Thursday night to hype myself up for something that may or may not happen for next Friday's picture.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You'd expect spoilers with the word "all" in the video title.

Sorry....I expect every human being to be like me and don't give a **** about spoilers.

I haven't watched it...but as a one of a kind person, it's how I roll.
Not all people like having the story spoiled, so it should be common sense to warn of them whenever they come up.

I'm aware that "all death scenes" would imply spoilers, but it's always a good idea to have a more explicit warning anyway.

Petra's horrifying death always gets me... :( Same for the rest of the Levi Squad.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Having dates with ones girl friend is pretty normal. It's more exciting to have dates with someone else's girlfriend. (I kid, I kid.)
Where do you think my girlfriend came from? Everyone wants a piece of Lozjam not really, I'm not really sure how I have a girlfriend and why I still have one....... It's an enigma

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Not all people like having the story spoiled, so it should be common sense to warn of them whenever they come up.

I'm aware that "all death scenes" would imply spoilers, but it's always a good idea to have a more explicit warning anyway.

Petra's horrifying death always gets me... :(
You mean something like

I'm a virgin

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Attack on titans was something that always interested me and wanted to wanted to see since so many people reference it and its theme song, but I can't watch it...because I don't like seeing blood and gore.

Now, I can deal with blood mostly, (really it depends on the situation), though it's when you start adding things like gore is where I I stop feeling so well.

I think Attack on titans would be the last thing that would change my mind.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Attack on titans was something that always interested me and wanted to wanted to see since so many people reference it and its theme song, but I can't watch it...because I don't like seeing blood and gore.

Now, I can deal with blood mostly, (really it depends on the situation), though it's when you start adding things like gore is where I I stop feeling so well.

I think Attack on titans would be the last thing that would change my mind.
...You and me both...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There would also be spinal fluid for when the head is eaten first.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
...You and me both...
Though, I am working on it. I've actually gone through an entire Resident evil 5 LP. I had to take a lot of breaks though. I think the funny commentary was worth it though.

There would also be spinal fluid for when the head is eaten first.
Just reading that makes me kinda sick...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can deal with blood and gore just fine. Then again, I've watched more explicit depictions of such things.

I can understand why it detracts people from watching it. Attack on Titan is definitely not for everyone. But I like it. Possibly my second favorite anime, the first being Death Note. Soul Eater and Blue Exorcist are good too. Not as great as the aforementioned two, but are still enjoyable experiences, mainly for those who like supernatural and/or action anime, though I recommend the manga of both series better.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
My favorite anime so far has to be either Monster or Serial Experiments Lain. the former doesn't even feel like anime.
so long as AoT is being posted

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
My favorite anime so far has to be either Monster or Serial Experiments Lain. the former doesn't even feel like anime.
so long as AoT is being posted
Monster was superb. I enjoyed SEL as well, though its high surreal factor, slow pace, and dense thematic/philosophical web doesn't make it very accessible. Still very good stuff.

Speaking of Monster and how it doesn't feel like anime, are you aware that Guillermo Del Toro is apparently planning on making a live-action adaptation of the series for HBO? It's still the conceptual/planning stages, so basically no actual information has yet been released, but I find myself pretty excited for the prospect (especially since another of Del Toro's projects - The Strain - is coming out this summer on FX, which I'm also very eager to see). :chuckle:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bought Diddy Kong racing DS after the nostalgia over the 64 game the other day and it just arrived

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just started Attack on Titan, and I'm enjoying it. The opening theme song reminded me of something from Kid Icarus Uprising...

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
This screenshot is begging to have Kawashima as playable:
All I see is Kawashima being a complete jerk and ruining Villager's fun.
Just started Attack on Titan, and I'm enjoying it. The opening theme song reminded me of something from Kid Icarus Uprising...

Have fun waiting for season 2. Or just read the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom