• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
If this is real, for ****'s sake stop considering Mewtwo and put him in!
We've been denied psychic floatiness for far too long.

I keep hearing about this roundtable and I think I really need to ask this question:

If the info you told was THAT MUCH confidential to prevent people from telling others via NDA, then tell me:

Why did you told the press at all?

Like, I won't know until 9/13 like others, I don't see the point of telling to some people, but prevent them from sharing the info while in any case, we would still know on 9/13.

So, what's the point of doing a roundtable in this case?

The only reason I came was that they like the press, but that's kinda more stupid for a reason.

I mean there has to be a reason to not just shut up and hide everything until 9/13.
I'm not sure what the deal is with the Pax Roundtable, either. Is it really embargoed until Smash 3DS release? Perhaps more info will surface over the next day or two.

..a Hanafuda card? Really? lol
@Pacack was a longtime proponent of a Hanafuda-based retro inclusion for Smash 4, in the form of Daitoryo (the Napoleon-esque mascot for the old card line). The Hanafuda card stuff is 125 years old by this point in Nintendo history, so the inclusion of a Hanafuda character would be supremely oldschool. I'd have dug it. :shades:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The leaker mentions questions asked by people. How come no one asked about Ridley?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
We've been denied psychic floatiness for far too long.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Pax Roundtable, either. Is it really embargoed until Smash 3DS release? Perhaps more info will surface over the next day or two.

@Pacack was a longtime proponent of a Hanafuda-based retro inclusion for Smash 4, in the form of Daitoryo (the Napoleon-esque mascot for the old card line). The Hanafuda card stuff is 125 years old by this point in Nintendo history, so the inclusion of a Hanafuda character would be supremely oldschool. I'd have dug it. :shades:
Everyone keeps saying so my source is far from reliable (actually, who said that?).

But it is apparently until 9/13.

And I have no idea why they would do that instead of not talking at all.

Because gamexplain did stated about an event so it must be this, but then, why doing it at all?

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I keep hearing about this roundtable and I think I really need to ask this question:

If the info you told was THAT MUCH confidential to prevent people from telling others via NDA, then tell me:

Why did you told the press at all?

Like, I won't know until 9/13 like others, I don't see the point of telling to some people, but prevent them from sharing the info while in any case, we would still know on 9/13.

So, what's the point of doing a roundtable in this case?

The only reason I came was that they like the press, but that's kinda more stupid for a reason.

I mean there has to be a reason to not just shut up and hide everything until 9/13.
Actually if they did have a roundtable it would make sense for it to be exactly this type of stuff. Talking about why character's were/weren't included. That way, when the game comes out, and people are asking "OMG where are Ice Climbers", various press outlets can answer them.

Not that I see any particular reason to believe an entirely random leaker on 4chan though.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Actually if they did have a roundtable it would make sense for it to be exactly this type of stuff. Talking about why character's were/weren't included. That way, when the game comes out, and people are asking "OMG where are Ice Climbers", various press outlets can answer them.

Not that I see any particular reason to believe an entirely random leaker on 4chan though.
Yeah, but in this case, why not just like doing the most simple way?

Telling everything in a direct some days before release?

Because I'm sure we'll get at least one trailer before release.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
This is probably the most conservative view I'll have on a leak, but if someone claims final roster without Ridley, that's fake for me.

Sorry, but my opinion on his tease is very conservative that you would need a very good reason to talk about it (you would need to refute a 5 hours essay).

Also, question:

How he would even got into the room if he's on NDA?

Remember that only press got there and you know what it makes to break an NDA? I think you get blacklisted like you loose your job and your reputation for life.

Not going to do this risk.
According to some post on NeoGAF, the NoA employee who originally leaked the ESRB video stuff (i.e. the source of the vids and image leaks we recently got) has apparently been found, and Nintendo is apparently intending on suing his ass, among other things.

This random 4channer would be risking the same stuff, presumably. But 4chan is an anonymous board (to my knowledge). So who knows?

I do think that this "roundtable scoop" is very plausible, since it doesn't contradict what we know, and offers reasonable explanation for various things (e.g. cuts, the context of the Gematsu leaks, and the plausible eventuality of DLC). Even if it is fake, I wouldn't expect the truth of it all to stray too far from what this 4chan post purports.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder why there can never be a female Kamen rider except in the movies

Well, technically females DID use a Kamen Rider power in Kiva, but they weren't the main operator

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Just don't work at a grocery store. Sure, you get money, but it's so dull. You push carts for what feels like forever, then you check the time: "IT'S ONLY BEEN 10 MINUTES?! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?"
I hate super markets anyway Haha but damn I can imagine..

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Yeah, but in this case, why not just like doing the most simple way?

Telling everything in a direct some days before release?

Because I'm sure we'll get at least one trailer before release.
Directs generally don't get much into things like design decisions and stuff. They're basically just reveals and advertisements. All the information that Sehn posted would be really out of place in a direct.
And companies tend to prefer having the press circulate new than doing it themselves, for various reasons.

pickle962

Smash Lord
A 4chan post from someone who allegedly attended the Smash press roundtable thing @ PAX says:

-The roster in the CSS leak (45 + 3 Costume Clones + 3 Mii Classes) is the final launch roster;
-But on the other hand, DLC is in the works, news of which will start to surface around the Wii U release window;
-They couldn't secure the rights from Konami for whatever reason(s), hence no Snake;
-Dr. Mario was added for Melee nostalgia, and Dark Pit for popularity (though both were late clone additions a la Lucina);
-Considered characters during development have included Mewtwo (with Megas), Blaziken (with Megas), Dixie Kong, Chrom, Chorus Men, and Hanafuda (Daitoryo);
-Ice Climbers were cut due to framerate issues and hardware problems they were causing on the 3DS, but it was hinted at the panel that they may be high-priority for DLC inclusion.

This all seems plausible, as it lines up with everything we know. We know that Chrom was once considered by Sakurai before he opted for Robin, and that Gematsu had both Chrom and Chorus Men (showing that these were early roster candidates that were later scrapped, and Sal's tipper had seen this early material). I surmise Blaziken was one of the "new Pokemon" candidates considered (and they ended up choosing Greninja). Also cool that they considered Dixie and Daitoryo.

As far as DLC is concerned, I'd like Ice Climbers and Mewtwo at minimum. The ideal package would be one for each system:

-Three characters for both systems(Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Newcomer);
-2-3 Stages for either system (System-unique and/or Classic);
-Maybe a couple of system-exclusive items/trophies/Assists/Stage Builder assets/miscellanea

As much as the losses of Wolf and Lucas are unfortunate, Ice Climbers is harder to swallow since they were a unique Smash staple. And Mewtwo is Mewtwo; they say he sucks in Melee, but a reworking/retooling is certainly not impossible, and he's badass as a character. As for Newcomers, Chorus Men could be cool, though anyone non-cloney would be sweet.

So that's the newest in Smash Leaks for the Social Thread plebeians. Discuss, if you care to.
Yo dog. I heard you like leaks dog, so I got in contact with my brotha from anotha motha and he said that like King Bob-omb from dat supa Mario sixtee fo game is a new character dog!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Which reminds me

I'm STILL really pissed that everyone does Black Friday on Thanksgiving now

Thanksgiving we only used to be open until 4, and then everyone could go home to their families and have a good meal before having to wake up early for black friday

NOW however Black Friday starts at 4 and no one gets to go home

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Directs generally don't get much into things like design decisions and stuff. They're basically just reveals and advertisements. All the information that Sehn posted would be really out of place in a direct.
And companies tend to prefer having the press circulate new than doing it themselves, for various reasons.
A Direct segment in which Sakurai says who is or isn't cut would be counterproductive, marketing-wise.

Sakurai: "...and the Ice Climbers aren't in the game. Spoiler alert! But there will be DLC aimed for the Wii U release, so keep up your spirits, ye 3DS Smashers! We considered Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chrom, Blaziken, and Chorus Men also, but they didn't make the cut either. So let me just explicitly state that they won't be playable, as I have done for literally every non-playable character except Ridley."

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Huh, I felt that the comparison to Scrappy was actually spot on, as (in my eyes) Jr. really is pathetic. (Sorry)

Sure he actually poses a threat, but it is a point that he only does so with the aid of some device. Give a kid a gun and he can kill someone easily, so to say. I guess it's just my general dislike of spoiled people and brats...

I've only actually encountered him in Sunshine, never played any of those other games. I'm not even sure if there's anything in particular that caused me to dislike him, it's been a while since I've played it. Could have been the terrible voice acting...
It's fine if you don't particularly like a character. Especially in the Mario universe, a lot of the time characters aren't giving a whole lot of personality and character development. Since I'm a fan of Jr., I'll tell ya some of the reasons I like him (just to put things into perspective, you don't have to agree).

A lot of the times Jr. has this perseverance like he never wants to give up with what he's doing which I like. He also can put in more work than Bowser (I like Jr.'s relationship with his father too).. This is prominent in Sunshine as he's the one that's mostly causing trouble for Mario (framing Mario, spreading goop everywhere, Shadow Mario races/bonus stages/shenanigans, capturing Peach, ect.). Like, iirc, Bower shows up in the end for the final boss (Jr. helping as well). Basically Bowser's all like, "Son, see that princess? Yeah, go capture her. She's your mother and we need her back!... Oh, and **** up the island while you're at it." Idk if Jr.'s that gullible, but it would be funny if that's the case. Though it doesn't seem like Jr.'s that upset with his father using him. He has some loyalty I guess. I'd love to see a Mario mainline game where you can play as Jr., but Smash is the next best thing.

I also like his paintbrush weapon... especially since I'm an artist myself (and c'mon, I bet I'm not the only one that plays in goop. And by that I mean make Mario jump and slide, making patterns, smiley faces, etc. with goop in Sunshine. I used to spend hours doing that as a kid :lol:). Any weapon that has some artistic power I really love (even if it's scribbles, yo!). Jr. said that E. Gadd gave him the brush, although that could be a lie and the koopa prince could have stolen it. Who knows. I think he may be knowledgeable with mechanics, as he could have built Mecha-Bowser and he pilots his Clown Car.

Can't remember too much about Jr.'s roles in other games like Galaxy and whatnot atm, though I don't think he makes a big impact like in Sunshine (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not too sure how I feel with Jr. being restricted by the Clown Car, but we'll see.

I'll always love Mario Sunshine though. I still don't mind the voice acting and I'd love to see a remake/sequel/whatever. I don't find Jr. that bratty, just more like evilly annoying? Lol, we'll see how is personality is in Smash though. One thing that I always liked about Jr.'s inclusion is that I could have some epic father vs son matches. I think one of the main reasons I like Jr. is that he may be small, however, he is loyal to his father and tries his best to stop Mario. He's a recurring villain with some sort of personality (eve if it's shallow), and since he is young, he has some sort of innocence around him (I mean, he could still be a threat but still). His father doesn't as he is much older and has been causing trouble for who knows how long (probably raised Jr. to follow in his footsteps).

But yeah, there's some characters I don't particularly like on the roster, but I'm just gonna grin and bear it (and think about the positives, like swimsuit Shulk ;)). Although, those characters ain't my main problem with the roster. sorry for the long explanation OTL it's getting late...

And speaking about Sunshine, some sexy music:

Favourite song:

Most catchy:

Most crazy/random:

Most relaxing:

Seriously, as someone who has been somewhere tropical before, I appreciate this game 100x more.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sympathy for the Devil is said to be the greatest song by the Rolling Stones

But I just can't get into it because of what sounds like moracas

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I'm calling shenanigans on that last leak.

Couldn't get the rights to Snake is crap. They did it before in Brawl, why would they not be able to again?. Kojima has straight up said he'd be down to have Snake return. Also, not a single person there asks a question about Ridley? Okay there.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm convinced we've seen all the characters though regardless if those roundtable leaks are true or not

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The 4Chan leaker just admitted he was trolling.

Quoting the leaker
"You guys are trolled easily."
"I was lying you ****ing ******."

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Ridley not being in a leak does not mean automatically not legit. He's only made boss and trophy appearances so far. Plus I've always seen his popularity as more of a smashboards thing or bandwagon thing.

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but any news on the Pax Panel?
As far as we know, there's an embargo on information from it.

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but any news on the Pax Panel?
Goku, Magikarp, Homura, Phoenix Wright, Bart Simpson and Eren Jaeger have been confirmed. Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Lucas will also be returning.

Seriously though, nothing from what I know. Sorry.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Yay, page 1997. My birth year! Speaking of which, just one more day 'til my birthday. I'm excited. <3

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm calling shenanigans on that last leak.

Couldn't get the rights to Snake is crap. They did it before in Brawl, why would they not be able to again?. Kojima has straight up said he'd be down to have Snake return. Also, not a single person there asks a question about Ridley? Okay there.
I don't really believe this leak either being a text leak that is far too convenient. However, it is very possible they could not get the rights as just because they did it before doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it in this situation. Konami may not have been willing to work with Nintendo or it is possible there was an attempt but a agreement couldn't be reached. It's also very possible that Nintendo decided to not to work with Konami for other reasons. From what I understand Snake IP rights are held by Konami (Much like the way big companies handle most IPs) and not Kojima himself. So in the end it would likely be Konami's call and not Kojima.

The situation is that big video game publishers don't always play nice with each others.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Shout out to 1997!
It was a good year.

Soul.

Is Smash 3DS a casual game.
I can see it being just as competitive as the other version, but still.

D

Deleted member

1996 was good because we got Daytona USA CCE and Sonic 3D Blast for Saturn, Crash Bandicoot for PlayStation, and Nintendo 64 + Super Mario 64. Let's not forget Windows NT 4.0. The world wide web was growing.. albeit slowly.

1997 was good because we got Gran Turismo for PlayStation, Nintendo 64 got high quality titles such as Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64, and more. Saturn thrived in Japan, though. And finally, Windows 98 betas began to arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hey, it's the year of my birth too :)

Fun fact: I'm born EXACTLY a year after the release of pokemon red and blue in North America.

Even tough I have a game boy player, I still have to buy a cartridge one day and play it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
1997 was the year I was born as well (I've said it a few times already on different parts of the forum but my birthday's coming up this September :D) Of course I gotta post on this page and give a shoutout to it too!

Soul.

If the 3DS casing is durable enough, then the system should fare well as a weapon in competitive bloodsport.

If that's what you're asking.
Yeah, it should do well. The 3DS is durable enough to let Smash 3DS be played competitively.
I was just saying that because 3DS players feel offended when someone says their version is inferior (casual).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom