• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So is that like how Wario is the protagonist in his own series of games? :troll:
If Wario is the character on whom the Wario games focus, and/or through whom the story's action is primarily instigated, or perpetuated, then Wario is indeed the protagonist of the Wario series.

Whether he is a hero, anti-hero, anti-villain, or villain is a related, though distinct classification. Since Wario is interested only in himself and the acquisition of wealth, he clearly places in the center of this spectrum (since he's not wholly righteous, nor outright evil). Whether he is an anti-hero or anti-villain ultimately depends on what his true moral character is (i.e. if he's not such a bad guy (anti-villain), or if he's ain't such a good guy (anti-hero)).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh god, not Rayman Discussion. Please not more Rayman Discussion. The only things worse than that are ****** Discussion, Dark Pit Discussion, or Competitive/Casual debates

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Some protagonist he was.
A protagonist is not necessarily a good guy. A protagonist is the lead character of the story. The main character. Nothing else make a protagonist.

An antagonist is a character that opposes the protagonist, they aren't always a villain however.

Say, for example, Joker from Batman were to get his own comic books but still be a villain. Well in these new comic books Joker is now the protagonist because they are centered around him and make him the lead character, this puts Batman in the antagonist position as he will be the one opposing Joker.

This is story making 101.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh god, not Rayman Discussion. Please not more Rayman Discussion. The only things worse than that are ****** Discussion, Dark Pit Discussion, or Competitive/Casual debates
You forgot about 3DS vs. Wii U debates. :troll:
But yeah I agree. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
A protagonist is not necessarily a good guy. A protagonist is the lead character of the story. The main character. Nothing else make a protagonist.

An antagonist is a character that opposes the protagonist, they aren't always a villain however.

Say, for example, Joker from Batman were to get his own comic books but still be a villain. Well in these new comic books Joker is now the protagonist because they are centered around him and make him the lead character, this puts Batman in the antagonist position as he will be the opposing Joker.

This is story making 101.
Speaking of story-making, I'm reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I'm roughly halfway through right now. He's a brief, minimal-spoiler overview:

[collapse=The Magicians]
It's pretty good so far. The apparent premise is "Harry Potter for Adults", and it certainly a more mature take on things. You have the gifted young mind being invited to a magical college. However, the book (so far) is very much a corollary to the college experience, so you have the bureaucracy of college, the heavy workloads, the romantic entanglements, and trying to figure out what you're going to make of your life. Though of course, there is the magical elements that adds a different flavour to the proceedings.

The magic is weird and mysterious and poorly understood -- as well as being repetitive and circuitous to actually perform. It also subtly tinkers and subdues the common tropes of Wizard School. Also, you'll find that the story unfolds faster than you'd expect (in the sense that there are many time-skips hopping to a few months further along the main character's study at the college). [/collapse]

Anyway, that's all I'll say for now. Suffice it to say that it's good as of the halfway marker. You expressed some interest in the series, so I figured that I'd give you an idea of what you can expect, should you decide to read the books yourself. 8D

Soul.

21 days left. I suppose the hype will be huge once it's September...even more than the Miiverse thread hype. :troll:

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Speaking of story-making, I'm reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I'm roughly halfway through right now. He's a brief, minimal-spoiler overview:

[collapse=The Magicians]
It's pretty good so far. The apparent premise is "Harry Potter for Adults", and it certainly a more mature take on things. You have the gifted young mind being invited to a magical college. However, the book (so far) is very much a corollary to the college experience, so you have the bureaucracy of college, the heavy workloads, the romantic entanglements, and trying to figure out what you're going to make of your life. Though of course, there is the magical elements that adds a different flavour to the proceedings.

The magic is weird and mysterious and poorly understood -- as well as being repetitive and circuitous to actually perform. It also subtly tinkers and subdues the common tropes of Wizard School. Also, you'll find that the story unfolds faster than you'd expect (in the sense that there are many time-skips hopping to a few months further along the main character's study at the college). [/collapse]

Anyway, that's all I'll say for now. Suffice it to say that it's good as of the halfway marker. You expressed some interest in the series, so I figured that I'd give you an idea of what you can expect, should you decide to read the books yourself. 8D
Hrmm. It definitely sounds interesting. Though not sure how I feel about the time skips within a single book, those have a tendency to annoy and confuse me unless it is a time skip between books.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Hrmm. It definitely sounds interesting. Though not sure how I feel about the time skips within a single book, those have a tendency to annoy and confuse me unless it is a time skip between books.
[collapse=The Magicians]
Well, it looks like the college portion of the story only takes up the first half of Book 1. The main character (Quentin) is already in his Fifth and final Year at the college.

The book (or the first half, anyway) is therefore structured like a series of vignettes. We skip to the important, pivotal points along Quentin's journey from the First through the Fifth Years of his study; each chapter focuses on some important or noteworthy event that happens during this timeline. We also get plenty of overview of what he does and his progress in mastering magic. I find it very easy to follow, since it's very linear (e.g. "Three months later, Quentin was doing X, and had made progress with Y, but then Z happened").

Quentin is a fairly flawed protagonist, so he's rather angsty, especially starting out. The accelerated unfolding of the college experience serves to further underline the ways in which he grows and matures from an angsty teen into a relatively functional young adult. And of course, we have the various friends and acquaintances and faculty who come and go, as well as Quentin's periodic visits back to the outside world.
[/collapse]

In essence, your concerns shouldn't apply here, since the jumps forward are very linear and clearly demarcated. It's not a non-linear affair where we jump from past to future and back again, and nor are we dropped into some future date with zero context. In terms of chronology, the book reads very smoothly.

I'll tag you when I've finished the second half of the book, to relay my impressions on both that half and the book as a whole.

Soul.

So, I guess this thread is quiet because of the hype that the Miiverse thread had, right.
Or was it because Social threads are not that active when the PotD is about to be uploaded.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I'm starting to really like Dark Pit. I guess it was just a matter of acceptance.
I'm not really a fan of him because he's both a full-clone (assuming) and I don't like them. Also I don't think he's that interesting in Uprising. But he's popular in Japan (wasn't he 7th in that character poll?) so I can dig him.
Dr. Mario is my source of frustration. Also the only one. Full-clone, small fanbase and just Mario in a costume. While I'm terribly sad with the exclusion of the ICs, I can understand it because of the limitations of the 3DS. And who knows they might return via DLC. :sadeyes:
Assuming the leak is real.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yet, there were composers who never worked on Nintendo games who remixed Nintendo songs in Brawl...

Nobuko Toda isn't affiliated with Konami, meaning she can compose for other stuff besides Konami stuff (more specifically, MGS). Also, she wasn't among the composers listed by Sakurai for Brawl, even though some MGS songs there were composed by her.

The composer list Sakurai provided are those that will remix previous games songs and produce new music for the game.
What exactly do you mean she wasn't among the composers listed by Sakurai for Brawl? She was listed along with the MGS4 theme of love Brawl version (on the dojo), and pretty much everywhere i have checked has verified that she worked on the game. imdb for reference

What i'm inferring here is that since she was a composer from a previous smash game, it is likely she will reprise her role as a composer for the same franchise, as most of her work is tied with said franchise. It isn't completely certain this is the case, but i think it's fairly likely, considering the circumstances.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'm not really a fan of him because he's both a full-clone (assuming) and I don't like them. Also I don't think he's that interesting in Uprising. But he's popular in Japan (wasn't he 7th in that character poll?) so I can dig him.
Dr. Mario is my source of frustration. Also the only one. Full-clone, small fanbase and just Mario in a costume. While I'm terribly sad with the exclusion of the ICs, I can understand it because of the limitations of the 3DS. And who knows they might return via DLC. :sadeyes:
Assuming the leak is real.
I know it would be easier to implement Dr. Mario, but it still agitates me that they choose him over Mewtwo to return from Melee.
That's only if the leak is true, though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What exactly do you mean she wasn't among the composers listed by Sakurai for Brawl? She was listed along with the MGS4 theme of love Brawl version (on the dojo), and pretty much everywhere i have checked has verified that she worked on the game. imdb for reference

What i'm inferring here is that since she was a composer from a previous smash game, it is likely she will reprise her role as a composer for the same franchise, as most of her work is tied with said franchise. It isn't completely certain this is the case, but i think it's fairly likely, considering the circumstances.
First of all, imdb isn't a very reliable source.

Second: http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_uk/music/music01.html She's not listed there. She made the original composition for MGS4, which was re-arranged by Akihiro Honda, who is credited on that page.

The composers listed by Sakurai are just the ones who produce music for Smash games, not those who have produced music for any of the alluded games in Smash.

Last edited:

Soul.

So bored...
Everyone is bored. The Social thread is bored. SmashBoards is bored.
Even the Miiverse thread is bored because there's no new PotD until next week which by then we will have like 19 days left until Smash 3DS releases in Japan. We're all going to be hype once it's September, right??

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Even the Miiverse thread is bored because there's no new PotD until next week which by then we will have like 19 days left until Smash 3DS releases in Japan. We're all going to be hype once it's September, right??
Well, by "hype" you mean fear for the upcoming days being nothing but a hellish war, then sure.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
No, my hype starts in October. I'm not gonna watch any videos of Smash when it's released in Japan, because that only makes me want to play the game right now.
And SmashBoards is gonna be a big chaos.

Last edited:

Soul.

Well, by "hype" you mean fear for the upcoming days being nothing but a hellish war, then sure.
Yes, that's the hype I was talking about. The fear of not getting a popular character is as strong as this hype we're all going to get in September.
Then comes the other hype which is about competitive stuff. :troll:
No, my hype starts in October. I'm not gonna watch any videos of Smash when it's released in Japan, because that only makes me want to play the game right now.
And SmashBoards is gonna be a big chaos.
I don't mind spoilers. I'll most likely watch Smash 3DS streams that are about "non-stop Wi-Fi matches", learning advanced techniques and things like that.
ChaosBoards will need the Chaos Emeralds to work.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
First of all, imdb isn't a very reliable source.

Second: http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_uk/music/music01.html She's not listed there. She made the original composition for MGS4, which was re-arranged by Akihiro Honda, who is credited on that page.

The composers listed by Sakurai are just the ones who produce music for Smash games, not those who have produced music for any of the alluded games in Smash.
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/music/music11.html
I'm not currently able to go on the dojo, but i'm sure this is the correct link.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I don't mind spoilers. I'll most likely watch Smash 3DS streams that are about "non-stop Wi-Fi matches", learning advanced techniques and things like that.
ChaosBoards will need the Chaos Emeralds to work.
I don't mind spoilers as well, but seeing other people playing it while I can't only makes me envious.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't mind the return of Dr. Mario, as he's one of my Melee secondaries (*sigh* he does have potential to become unique though). The problem I have is if he gets in and not Roy. That's were I draw the line! >:L :laugh: And besides, I would rather have other series have clones/whatever before Mario and KI, like Metroid, DK, F-Zero, hell I'd even take:pichumelee: over Dark Pit.

It's okay if you're not 100% content with the roster -- I'm sure for a lot of people it won't be perfect. It's also okay to give constructive criticism (or anything that isn't just RAAAAGE) over things, as people will have different preferences and ideas for the roster.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Yes, that's the hype I was talking about. The fear of not getting a popular character is as strong as this hype we're all going to get in September.
Then comes the other hype which is about competitive stuff. :troll:
Oh no, not that. Just in general.
Stages, controls, graphics, gameplay, trophies, everything will be brutally torn apart by the fanbase. And I'd rather not be in the middle of that.
Maybe I'll post every now and then to say I'm alive or some stupid thing I found, but other than that. Nope.

Last edited:

Soul.

I don't mind spoilers as well, but seeing other people playing it while I can't only makes me envious.
It makes everyone envious, but at least you get to see how the final build plays. That's a good thing.
Oh no, not that. Just in general.
Stages, controls, graphics, gameplay, trophies, everything will be brutally torn apart by the fanbase. And I'd rather not be in the middle of that.
Maybe I'll post every now and then to say I'm alive or some stupid thing I found, but other than that. Nope.
The most important thing about Smash Bros. is the character design roster. Of course everyone will get disappointed, but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom