• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I've never really watched Death Note, only read one maya volume.
Maybe it will be a nice refreshing break from all that depression in Madoka Magica.
Heh heh heh...

I haven't finished it yet. I'm at episode 22 right now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Light Yagami is a villain protagonist. He is the protagonist of the story, but his actions aren't heroic. He's a deluded serial killer with a god-complex, after all.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

Found this Kill la Kill and Smash crossover on GoNintendo a while back, though I'd share it with you guys.

I never watched Kill la Kill, though, but it does look very similar to Gurren Lagann.

D

Deleted member

Oh goody! I didn't buy a foreign copy of Radiant Dawn by mistake!! Now to actually finish Path of Radiance :p

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Light Yagami is, interestingly, the protagonist and an anti-villain.

An anti-villain is a character who isn't purely evil, or whose aims and intent aren't entirely unsympathetic; they may use terrible means to achieve their goals, but their goals may be righteous to an extent (Light clearly falls into this category). An anti-hero, conversely, is a character whose aims may be righteous, but whose methods aren't entirely righteous.

What separates an anti-hero from an anti-villain is the constituency of their moral fibers. Light leans heavily toward evil, while L leans more so toward righteousness.

Yet Light is also the protagonist, since the story centers mostly on him, and he's the viewpoint who drives the action. L is the antagonist, since he opposes Light, serving as an obstacle and foil. The term "protagonist" and "antagonist" only concern the viewpoints, or the POVs that drive the story's action; the terms "hero" and "villain" are simply moral alignments (and a protagonist and antagonist can have any variation of moral alignment, so a protagonist doesn't always have to be a hero, or an antagonist always be a villain).

So Light is the protagonist (drives the action), yet is the (anti-)villain (and becomes increasingly villainous), while L is the antagonist (opposes Light), yet is the (anti-)hero (since, while righteous, he'll go very far to achieve his ends).

Pretty wild.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
It's just a shame you have one Kirby stage with like 50 songs, fire emblem stage with 10ish great songs, Zelda and Donkey Kong stages with SOME OF THE BEST MUSIC IN THE GAME; but never played/heard due to NOT LEGAL STAGES. Then we have battlefield, with maybe 1 good remix of the "new" battlefield theme on there (I'm well over the melee theme), FD with the same thing. Smashville being nice but no mix ups/alterations in style.

I'm a very Aural "feeler", I vary play styles and play around the beat of a song (before I lost my SD card, my brawl custom music was the best, Super Robot Wars; **** YEAH [and anything else instrumental I ever spotted]). I honestly stopped playing Brawl once I lost that SD card, it really sucked going back to boring (in terms of fighting game) music while practising, haha. I'm sure Smash 4 will keep me captivated for a while, but it'll just be that extra bit sweeter if songs are spread around well. At least until the music hacks come in~
It's a good thing stages are getting FD forms, right? if Xeno is indeed a stage and gets an FD form, EVERYONE will know my name :colorful:
Can people stop assuming the composers mean anything regarding characters? >_>

They are MUSIC COMPOSERS. Some of them also work outside of video games.
Nobuko Toda i think is a big exception here. She has been a big part of metal gear games (and has only worked on KH and MGS3D when regarding nintendo games), and her past work in smash bros just happens to be a mgs exclusive music for brawl. Imo it makes much more sense for her to be working on mgs music like in brawl rather than being brought back for some random song for a random franchise she's never participated in.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

Found this Kill la Kill and Smash crossover on GoNintendo a while back, though I'd share it with you guys.

I never watched Kill la Kill, though, but it does look very similar to Gurren Lagann.
That's because KLK was made by the same studio that made Gurren Lagann. If you enjoyed one, chances are you'll enjoy the other (and I say this having seen Gurren first and KLK second).

Also, this is a great piece. It further hypes for the coming KLK OVA coming out next month. 8D

D

Deleted member

An anti-villain is an antagonist (or an antagonistic figure) who isn't purely evil, or whose aims and intent aren't entirely unsympathetic; they may use terrible means to achieve their goals, but their goals may be righteous to an extent (Light clearly falls into this category). An anti-hero, conversely, is a protagonist (or a protagonistic figure) whose aims may be righteous, but whose methods aren't entirely righteous.

What separates an anti-hero from an anti-villain is the constituency of their moral fibers. Light leans heavily toward evil, while L leans more so toward righteousness.

Yet Light is also the protagonist, since the story centers mostly on him, and he's the viewpoint who drives the action. L is the antagonist, since he opposes Light, serving as an obstacle and foil. The term "protagonist" and "antagonist" only concern the viewpoints, or the POVs that drive the story's action; the terms "hero" and "villain" are simply moral alignments (and a protagonist and antagonist can have any variation of moral alignment, so a protagonist doesn't always have to be a hero, or an antagonist always be a villain).

So Light is the protagonist (drives the action), yet is the (anti-)villain (and becomes increasingly villainous), while L is the antagonist (opposes Light), yet is the (anti-)hero (since, while righteous, he'll go very far to achieve his ends).

Pretty wild.
My head hurts. This is why I don't like English class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nobuko Toda i think is a big exception here. She has been a big part of metal gear games (and has only worked on KH and MGS3D when regarding nintendo games), and her past work in smash bros just happens to be a mgs exclusive music for brawl. Imo it makes much more sense for her to be working on mgs music like in brawl rather than being brought back for some random song for a random franchise she's never participated in.
Yet, there were composers who never worked on Nintendo games who remixed Nintendo songs in Brawl...

Nobuko Toda isn't affiliated with Konami, meaning she can compose for other stuff besides Konami stuff (more specifically, MGS). Also, she wasn't among the composers listed by Sakurai for Brawl, even though some MGS songs there were composed by her.

The composer list Sakurai provided are those that will remix previous games songs and produce new music for the game.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think I'd rather stay in the standard English class. I'd still probably do well if I moved up though. I had an A most of the year last year
This isn't an issue of English, so much as it is Storytelling. I don't think I learned the -tagonist/moralist distinction in school (then again, I went to a French-language school, so our English, while good, wasn't as deep).

Clearly, my real education has unfolded on the Internet. :p

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Anyone notice Link has been in 3 straight PoTD's? Is that a coincidence or is this hinting at something in the near future...

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

An anti-villain is a character who isn't purely evil, or whose aims and intent aren't entirely unsympathetic; they may use terrible means to achieve their goals, but their goals may be righteous to an extent (Light clearly falls into this category). An anti-hero, conversely, is a character whose aims may be righteous, but whose methods aren't entirely righteous.

Pretty wild.
So is that like how Wario is the protagonist in his own series of games? :troll:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
448___mega_lucario___art_v_2_by_tails19950-d796xr1-1.png
New avatar. I want to try and recolor this pic to have Lucario's white alteration from brawl. If a generous soul would do that for me, I'd be truly grateful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom