• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Speaking of Radcliffe, the trailer for Horns came out recently. It's the film adaptation of Joe Hill's novel (Stephen King's son).

Hill writes good stuff, and Horns was pretty sweet, so hopefully the film will be able to hold up. 8D

EDIT: I've read the Hobbit, the LOTR trilogy, and the Silmarillion. And I've seen the LOTR film trilogy and the currently released Hobbit movies.

Nerd Cred Central. :shades:

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I probably hate them because of the teacher that assigned it lol
I automatically dislike anything that I have to read as an assignment because it's no longer fun, it's a chore.

Not that I like to sit and read books all too much anyway.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Unpopular opinions?
I have never watched Frozen, nor any of the Lord of the Rings films. But I have seen the Star Wars prequels.
I've stopped watching Television shows a long time ago.
I have yet to play acclaimed 3DS titles like Shovel Knight, Dillon and Pushmo. And I've gotten lazy with getting Shantae (I'll probably get it when the new came comes out, since it might have a discount). Nor have I considered playing OoC3D or Link Between Worlds. Among others.
I don't play card games.
And yet somehow I've watched Santa Claus Conquers The Martians all the way through, wants to play Superman 64 and hopes to see Sharknado 2.
...I think there's something wrong with me.
How are any of those opinions?!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If we're doing unpopular opinions, I watched Frozen last night for the first time, and here are my thoughts on it that I had typed up on tumblr.

If you’re looking for a forgettable, but still entertaining flick that you can get a laugh out of and maybe talk over, or even watch with kids, then yes, I recommend it.

Do not expect it to be deeply inspiring, empowering, or even a timeless movie in every way, like everyone hypes it up to be. I’m sorry but it just isn’t that.

As for the main characters:

Elsa is an interesting concept that just isn’t used a whole lot. I was surprised by how little screen time she got, and even when she is on screen, not a whole lot is done with her, and I feel like she is far from the well developed character everyone makes her out to be. Also, by the end of the movie, she turns into Anna #2, which makes what little development she had feel pointless.

Anna is an unlikable Mary Sue. She makes a bunch of mistakes and expects everyone else to help her out, even a complete stranger (she basically demands Kristoph help him). And they never really close the whole “growing up” arc for her, I feel like she hardly matured over the course of the movie.

Kristoph is OK. I liked his, at times, blunt attitude. And how he was meant to be the realist of the movie. But after a while, he became quite uninteresting when they turned his only role into being the love interest for Anna.

Hans is the generic knight in shining armour/hot guy figure until he becomes a dickish and cowardly villain for a few minutes at the end, only to be instantly ripped down to a pitiful character who’s gonna get told off by his big brothers and what not. Completely uninteresting and a huge let down as the main villain. I would have much preferred if the movie focused on Elsa’s inner torment a lot more, and made that the metaphorical “villain”, rather than using Hans as a poor plot device (he only exists to throw you off who Anna is “supposed” to love, and to then give a reason for an “act of true love” to happen when Anna saves Elsa, which in turn saves Anna from her doomed fate).

Olaf is honestly the best character by far. He’s hilarious. But there was this interesting layer of depth that I THINK was intentional (I could just be headcanoning but this is what I got from him) - he feels like he’s supposed to be a physical manifestation of Elsa’s younger, more positive spirit. Elsa bottled up her positive feelings for years, and could not be the big, supportive sister she wanted to be. And I feel like Olaf is the physical manifestation of those bottled up feelings, as not only does he make Anna smile with his goofy, playful, and innocent nature, but he also makes a lot of random quotes of wisdom that help Anna figure out the right path (he’s basically the whole reason she picks up on the chemistry between herself and Kristoph). What makes this even more plausible a theory? Olaf was created during the “Let It Go” scene, in which Elsa was letting out everything she bottled up. So I think it’s plausible to think that Elsa unintentionally re-created her most positive aspects in Olaf. I expected Olaf to simply be the “cute, marketable mascot” of the movie, which he still is, but he ended up being a lot more to me and I hope that was a conscious decision on the part of the writers.

And Sven is cute and entertaining but I don’t really have anything notable to say about him.

The animation and art direction is beautiful though (aside from some questionable texture work on some background objects, which is bizarre for a Disney film, but it isn’t very noticeable), and the soundtrack is solid. I don’t like Let It Go as much as most but it’s by no means a bad song, I just didn’t think the direction it took after the first 40 seconds was as powerful as other directions they could have took.

Overall, a nice flick movie, though I find it forgettable. It’s by no means a Disney classic to me, and Wreck-It Ralph was a much better and more engaging film, and that has nothing to do with the awesome video game references.

Morbi

Scavenger
If we're doing unpopular opinions, I watched Frozen last night for the first time, and here are my thoughts on it that I had typed up on tumblr.
Frozen... forgettable?!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhAHAHAahAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhAHAHAahAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhAHAHAahAHAHAHH.

Seriously?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For anyone in the UK, Smash 3DS is now available for pre-order on the Official Nintendo UK Online Store:

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-3...k&utm_medium=pre-order&utm_campaign=smashbros

Frozen... forgettable?!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhAHAHAahAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhAHAHAahAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhAHAHAahAHAHAHH.

Seriously?
Yes, in it's entirety. :I

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Frozen... forgettable?!

Seriously?
Should've used

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Frozen... forgettable?!

Seriously?
Yeah, you can't forget it so long as that overrated song is stuck in your head :troll:
i will be relentless until you accept our lord and savior paper mario

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I automatically dislike anything that I have to read as an assignment because it's no longer fun, it's a chore.

Not that I like to sit and read books all too much anyway.
only if you make it that way dude. some of my favorite books I chose as an assignment. Then again some of my least favorites are books that felt like an assignment.

If you're a fan of bad movies, I highly recommend it. It's so fun to watch because of how awful it is.
I deed not heet her

I deed naahhhht

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Because most try to make an effort to see Lord of the Rings. And to avoid the Star Wars prequels.
I haven't.
Morbid is saying that your list doesn't contain value judgements (opinions); you're just stating plain facts about what you have and haven't seen, in a circuitous way of illustrating that you don't care much for the mainstream of entertainment, and prefer the obscure and eclectic.

Even that much isn't really an opinion, so much as it's a statement of general tastes.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Frozen... forgettable?!

Seriously?
Yup. Just like when Elsa lets down her hair and runs her hands through it. Forgettable indeed. Not hot at all.

In all seriousness though it wasn't the best Disney film I've ever seen, but it was pretty well done. It just didn't have the impact on me like Finding Nemo or Toy Story did.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I don't think Frozen was all that bad, just EXTREMELY overhyped.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I honestly loved Frozen, despite what the nerdy outcasts who hate everything that's popular because they think that makes them smart and cool think.

I also don't think it's the absolute greatest thing ever crafted by the hands of would-be gods, either.

But that's because that's how I see movies in general. As just movies.

Usually I'm not that big of a movie guy. My mother and sister are to blame for that since them taking me surprise visits to horror and gore fests as a kid made me hate going to the movies for a long time.

Then just having to wait for a long time to be able to do anything else for any other movie made me lose all interest in them. XD

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yup. Just like when Elsa lets down her hair and runs her hands through it. Forgettable indeed. Not hot at all.

In all seriousness though it wasn't the best Disney film I've ever seen, but it was pretty well done. It just didn't have the impact on me like Finding Nemo or Toy Story did.
I don't exactly see how an Ice Queen can be hot.

I don't think Frozen was all that bad, just EXTREMELY overhyped.
Pretty much.

It's fine as a fun flick movie, but everyone hypes it up as this movie that tries a lot of new things and is really empowering and inspiring, when it really shouldn't be that for anyone older than a 5 year old.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I honestly loved Frozen, despite what the nerdy outcasts who hate everything that's popular because they think that makes them smart and cool think.
The only reasons I have to not like it is because I'm constantly attacked by people singing the song badly.

And I don't even have to say which song.
Because it's the song.

Morbi

Scavenger

I also don't think it's the absolute greatest thing ever crafted by the hands of would-be gods, either.

But that's because that's how I see movies in general. As just movies.

Usually I'm not that big of a movie guy. My mother and sister are to blame for that since them taking me surprise visits to horror and gore fests as a kid made me hate going to the movies for a long time.

Then just having to wait for a long time to be able to do anything else for any other movie made me lose all interest in them. XD
I am a hipster (nerdy outcast who hates everything that's popular because I think it makes me smart and cool) and even I had to commend Frozen. I suppose it depends, in terms of Disney, most people regard Lion King as the best; however, I found it to be pretty "meh." I am a Mulan and Aladdin fangirl.

D

Deleted member

I enjoyed it for what it was, but then again, the only time I've seen it was in Spanish class. With the entire movie dubbed in Spanish.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't exactly see how an Ice Queen can be hot.
Easy, when you warm her up on the outside, melt her cold insides and she starts to drip and trickle from the heat of it all.

Don't you people know anything about science? ¦(

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Regardless of what myself or anyone thinks about Frozen, I can at least thank it for this.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Speaking of Radcliffe, the trailer for Horns came out recently. It's the film adaptation of Joe Hill's novel (Stephen King's son).

Hill writes good stuff, and Horns was pretty sweet, so hopefully the film will be able to hold up. 8D

EDIT: I've read the Hobbit, the LOTR trilogy, and the Silmarillion. And I've seen the LOTR film trilogy and the currently released Hobbit movies.

Nerd Cred Central. :shades:
Horns is an awesome book. Pretty funny at times. It could very well work as a film... but we'll see.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Not trying to be rude or anything, but this is basically how one may describe you.
View attachment 19960
"I go everywhere, I do everything, and I never have any fun."
What are you going on about? Because I don't like one thing, I'm automatically a grouchy guy who hates fun? Okay there Cliff.
I always see you saying you don't like Ghirahim. So you must hate fun too, right? Logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom