• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Eh, I don't know. I usually only look at the source material if I really liked the anime. I only like reading it in book format and not on my computer, so I only buy them when I have extra money. I only own the complete manga for K-On, Love Hina, and Ace Attorney. I own three of the Spice and Wolf Light Novels.
Well, it was just a suggestion. For me, Soul Eater is the manga due to being better.

Maybe they can do the same thing they did with Fullmetal Alchemist and do a second anime series that is faithful to the manga to its end. The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime also had the whole divergent story thing while FMA Brotherhood covers the entire story of the manga.

...Y'know this discussion reminds me that I should probably get into watching some more animes, anyone got any good ones they can recommend? (And by extension any light novels/mangas?)
What genre of anime you prefer?

Anyway, Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are must-watches. I recommend Attack on Titan too, but this one isn't for everyone since it can be disturbing at times.

Durarara!! is cool too.

As for manga, you have Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack on Titan. The last one is still ongoing. And I also recommend Soul Eater and Blue Exorcist if you're into the action and supernatural genres.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
"Have you no wine?"

My friend introduced me to Spice and Wolf.
Holo and Lawrence are both amazing characters. I thought the first season was very good, but the 2nd season was fantastic. They need to finish the anime. I hope they start it up again. It was about this long of break between Seasons 3 and 4 of Minami-Ke and Seasons 2 and 3 of Genshiken. I really love the dub voice actors though, so I hope Funimation does it.

Well, it was just a suggestion. For me, Soul Eater is the manga due to being better.

Maybe they can do the same thing they did with Fullmetal Alchemist and do a second anime series that is faithful to the manga to its end. The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime also had the whole divergent story thing while FMA Brotherhood covers the entire story of the manga.

Anyway, Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are must-watches. I recommend Attack on Titan too, but this one isn't for everyone since it can be disturbing at times.
I mean I might try to read it eventually, not sure. I do plan on watching Soul Eater NOT to see if it's any better. I think the character designs are better looking then in Bones' anime.

In a way I hope the new 2nd anime thing happens with Angel Beats after the visual novel comes out. AND after the adapt Rewrite.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't really matter to me, I like most genres, so fire away.

I've watched and absolutely loved Fullmetal, have yet watch either Death Note or AoT, but I've heard good things. And thanks, I'll check out your recommendations once I get the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
...Y'know this discussion reminds me that I should probably get into watching some more animes, anyone got any good ones they can recommend? (And by extension any light novels/mangas?)
Death Note. It's like a supernatural detective show... or Ace Attorney. :p

Seriously, it's pretty good.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I mean I might try to read it eventually, not sure. I do plan on watching Soul Eater NOT to see if it's any better. I think the character designs are better looking then in Bones' anime.

In a way I hope the new 2nd anime thing happens with Angel Beats after the visual novel comes out. AND after the adapt Rewrite.
Not! is a spin-off prequel of the original Soul Eater. The anime is also by BONES but will follow the manga's story completely, as stated by the author. They started the anime with the intention of it finishing at the same time as the manga.

Death Note. It's like a supernatural detective show... or Ace Attorney. :p

Seriously, it's pretty good.
Is Ace Attorney an anime? :p

(I know it's a VN. I'm just joking.)

D

Deleted member

I probably should watch Death Note at some point.

By the way, is SmashBoards crashing for anyone else?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Not! is a spin-off prequel of the original Soul Eater. The anime is also by BONES but will follow the manga's story completely, as stated by the author. They started the anime with the intention of it finishing at the same time as the manga.

Is Ace Attorney an anime? :p

(I know it's a VN. I'm just joking.)
Oh wow. I didn't realize that. But when I saw Maka she looked a lot more like I wished she had in the original Soul Eater. That's good to know though. Thanks for the info.

Frost, quit reminding me how much I'd adore an AA anime. :laugh:
The manga is pretty good. Have you read that?

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I haven't really watched any anime other than Miyazaki (which are really good movies).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Frost, quit reminding me how much I'd adore an AA anime. :laugh:
There are some series I'd like to see an anime of. Like Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus.

By the way, your avatar is undeniably cute.

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. But when I saw Maka she looked a lot more like I wished she had in the original Soul Eater. That's good to know though. Thanks for the info.
I actually prefer the designs of the first anime. lol

The designs in both manga series are more or less the same, since they're by the same mangaka.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, if I'm to watch Death Note, would it be better to watch it dubbed or subbed? (Probably a stupid question, but w/e)

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So, if I'm to watch Death Note, would it be better to watch it dubbed or subbed? (Probably a stupid question, but w/e)
I've never seen Death Note so I don't know what voice actors are in it.

There are some series I'd like to see an anime of. Like Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus.

By the way, your avatar is undeniably cute.

I actually prefer the designs of the first anime. lol

The designs in both manga series are more or less the same, since they're by the same mangaka.
Well it's all a matter of opinion I guess.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Matter of preference. I watched it subbed.

I actually fluctuate between original Japanese and English dubbed. It doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I will say that Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are must-watches if you're looking for any sort of recs. Both of them should be considered hallmarks for their respective demographics and genres.

If a dub is available with quality voiceacting and is not cringey, I'd take it. Death Note seems to have this going for it.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Matter of preference. I watched it subbed.

I actually fluctuate between original Japanese and English dubbed. It doesn't make much of a difference to me.
Yeah I usually watch which ever version I find first. Though I search for the dub if there is one and I really like the voice actors in it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aight, I guess it doesn't matter then. So long as the subtitles don't change to ****ing Spanish, I guess I'll watch either language.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually went for the English dub for FMA Brotherhood because I felt it would make more sense with the European-inspired setting.

Mostly, I watch English dubbed anime if I read the manga in English. So the characters will speak the same language.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I feel like I'm the only person here who doesn't watch any anime.
I used to never watch it. But once I tried it, I became obsessed. I was known around school for being the big anime nerd. When Faze Mala (I think he's Obey Mala now) was considered the really cool kid, even though he plays just as many video games as I do.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I actually went for the English dub for FMA Brotherhood because I felt it would make more sense with the European-inspired setting.

Mostly, I watch English dubbed anime if I read the manga in English. So the characters will speak the same language.
FMA Brotherhood's dub is one of those animes where the English dub is better and improves the tones of the show. Besides, Japanese Ed sounds really off from Mignogna English Ed. It's a Goku predicament here.

Fate/Zero also has a superb dub. Kiritsugu also happens to share a VA with Chrom and Captain Levi. His performance here compels me just as much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just love how dubs work sometimes. All text is in Japanese, and the characters speak English.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So, did I ever tell you guys about the time where I allegedly met Tourette's Guy's nephew at a tourney?

FMA Brotherhood's dub is one of those animes where the English dub is better and improves the tones of the show. Besides, Japanese Ed sounds really off from Mignogna English Ed. It's a Goku predicament here.

Fate/Zero also has a superb dub. Kiritsugu also happens to share a VA with Chrom and Captain Levi. His performance here compels me just as much.
Gonna have to disagree with you on FMA since I can never take English Ed or Al seriously even though literally everyone else is okay.

Then again, I also love Romi and Rie, so no wonder.

Fate/Zero on the other hand? English or Japanese, that anime is flawless.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Anime talk? Why wasn't I invited? My tastes are almost opposite to Frostwraith's, since I prefer comedies and slice of life. :p

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So, did I ever tell you guys about the time where I allegedly met Tourette's Guy's nephew at a tourney?

Usually for me it's which ever one I heard first. But I personally think one of the best dubs is Space Dandy. I couldn't imagine Dandy any other way BUT as Ian Sinclair. Maybe because of the humor in it? I feel like Dandy is supposed to be American, going to Space Hooters and the last episode being practically in space High School Musical.

Anime talk? Why wasn't I invited? My tastes are almost opposite to Frostwraith's, since I prefer comedies and slice of life. :p
Same!

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually don't mind dubs as long as it's animated. Of course, I also expect quality from the actors' performance. It's also interesting to compare different language dubs (because the original Japanese is technically also a dub since characters are animated before acting).

Live-action dubs, however, are awkward and unbearable. In that regard, I like that, in my country, there's an overall preference for subs over dubs.

I just love how dubs work sometimes. All text is in Japanese, and the characters speak English.
And sometimes you see characters speaking Japanese and writing English... Like what happens with FMA.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
FalKoopa the Filthy Casual. ¦(

Joking because I like both of what you guys like. ¦D

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I actually don't mind dubs as long as it's animated. Of course, I also expect quality from the actors' performance. It's also interesting to compare different language dubs (because the original Japanese is technically also a dub since characters are animated before acting).

Live-action dubs, however, are awkward and unbearable. In that regard, I like that, in my country, there's an overall preference for subs over dubs.

And sometimes you see characters speaking Japanese and writing English... Like what happens with FMA.
You can also have characters practicing Engrish.. in english. Like in the K-On movie.

"Ok Azusa, no more speaking Japanese, only English! Even though this has been an English dub the entire movie so far!"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
True that. I prefer action and supernatural stuff.

Nothing feels better than watching an anime where every character is a badass in over-the-top ways.

That doesn't mean I dislike comedies and slice of life. In fact, I actually like a balance between action and badassery, and character interaction in more normal situations.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I prefer my anime with a side of darkness with lightly-pinced philosophy.

My perferences are pretty indicative of why I'm vehemently anti-Shounen Jump. Or, you know, I just can't tolerate the popular fighting shounens.

D

Deleted member

All you guys talking about all these animes while I just sit in the corner having only watched about a handful of series. I only recently got into it though, so there is that to account for. Plus I've always been much more of (obviously) a video game nerd than anything else.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
All you guys talking about all these animes while I just sit in the corner having only watched about a handful of series. I only recently got into it though, so there is that to account for. Plus I've always been much more of (obviously) a video game nerd than anything else.
Don't worry, man! Take what you can from our discussion and you shall find yourself more immersed in anime than before. ;)

We were all neophytes to anime at one point and there's a lot of points where you can feel insecure about yourself. This is pretty much me when it comes to music.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I prefer my anime with a side of darkness with lightly-pinced philosophy.

My perferences are pretty indicative of why I'm vehemently anti-Shounen Jump. Or, you know, I just can't tolerate the popular fighting shounens.
By popular fighting shounens you mean overly long running stuff like Naruto, One Piece and Bleach? Never read any of them. lol

Most shounen I've read aren't really mainstream: Soul Eater, Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan (it runs on a Shounen magazine, I kid you not!), Magi: Labyrinth of Magic, and Assassination Classroom (runs on Shounen Jump, but it's quite different from your typical shounen manga).

The only exception: Fairy Tail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom