• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A long time ago I made a comment in a video saying that if someone is being harassed for using sucky characters they should stop using sucky characters because they suck anyway

And just NOW am I getting replies to it like "Tiers are for queers" from multiple people

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
For some reason, I'm finding myself re-watching some of the release trailers...

My favorites by far are the trailers for Palutena and for Lucina and Robin. Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening are among my favorite games ever. They also really stand out by using different animation styles for the non-gameplay parts, the only other trailer to do that was Little Mac's.

Greninja's trailer was also very good. Same for Rosalina's trailer with Super Mario Galaxy music.

Something I really appreciate about this new Smash Bros. is that I feel the characters' appearances and characterization are much closer to the source games compared to previous Smash games. The art direction of this game is undoubtedly the best any Smash Bros. game had so far.

The character trailers make me wonder how will the opening sequence of this game be.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I'm bored, so let's talk about our mains. Why do you main them?
I mained Luigi in Melee, because he was the first character that I could actually handle.
I mained Roi Dadidou in Brawl, because Kirby's Dreamland is the first game I've ever beaten by myself and that guy is just a big, fat pinguin filled with nostalgia. And I like him.
I main Fox in 64 because I loved StarFox 64 so much as a kid, and his side smash drop kick in that game is awesome.

I main Young Link in Melee because I like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and he's very fast.

I main Toon Link in Brawl because Wind Waker's my favourite game of all time.

I'll probably main Greninja because of Pokemon X or a certain purple space pterodactyl because of Super Metroid/Mertroid Prime.

Generally, I try to main a different character every Smash game based on my favourite games of all time.

Last edited:

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
–jiggs/fox in ssb64 even though i'm no good!!
–marth in melee because he's the easiest character for me to use most of the time i think though i want to learn to use sheik and fox more/better
–i main peach in brawl because glide toss is a lot of fun and i've always liked using peach and i use mk a lot because, well,
–i'd probably main either pikachu or charizard in project m
–ssbu it's looking like g&w (?), sheik, peach, or lucario i think

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Something I really appreciate about this new Smash Bros. is that I feel the characters' appearances and characterization are much closer to the source games compared to previous Smash games. The art direction of this game is undoubtedly the best any Smash Bros. game had so far.

The character trailers make me wonder how will the opening sequence of this game be.
  • Well it doesn't really have much to compare to the past Smash Bros. N64 Smash was N64 graphics, Melee looks half-decent, though a lot of characters looked unusual or bland (see Melee Yoshi or Bowser). Brawl tied a realistic approach, which was impressive pre-release, but years later, they don't hold up nicely.

• Worst-case scenario, it'll be a montage of all the pre-release trailers we've seen so far. Best case scenario... is unimaginable. .-.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
  • Well it doesn't really have much to compare to the past Smash Bros. N64 Smash was N64 graphics, Melee looks half-decent, though a lot of characters looked unusual or bland (see Melee Yoshi or Bowser). Brawl tied a realistic approach, which was impressive pre-release, but years later, they don't hold up nicely.
  • Worst-case scenario, it'll be a montage of all the pre-release trailers we've seen so far. Best case scenario... is unimaginable. .-.
I really hope for a Melee-style one. Brawl's one was boring with the entire opening being SSE movies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll admit, I didn't think Brawl's graphics were awful. Their issue was they just didn't feel like Nintendo.
Nintendo is all about the colorful and cartoony, and using a watered-down gritty style just seemed all the more unfitting.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Brawl's graphics haven't aged well. The gritty style looked really great at the time, but in retrospect, they didn't suit a Smash Bros. game that well.

This game's approach is much better suited for the game. What I find impressive is how the characters look detailed like Brawl's style, but at the same time keep the same color scheme.

Take a look at Peach:
[collapse="Mario games"]
[/collapse]
[collapse="Brawl"]
[/collapse]
[collapse="Smash 4"]
[/collapse]

Notice how Smash 4's artwork combines Brawl's level of detail with the vibrant color scheme of the Mario games. The final result looks great.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So after going on my computer for one whole day, I found out that when you photoshop Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Watson together, you get the most beautiful woman in the universe.

Hooray for photo editing! You can make wonders.

I shall call her, Emmifer Lawatson.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kamen Rider Gills just saw Kamen Rider Agito for the first time

Awkward meeting too

Kamen Rider Agito had the woman Kamen Rider Gills loved dead in his arms

Morbi

Scavenger
So after going on my computer for one whole day, I found out that when you photoshop Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Watson together, you get the most beautiful woman in the universe.

Hooray for photo editing! You can make wonders.

I shall call her, Emmifer Lawatson.
Emma Watson is more attractive without Lawrence's genes. Just saying, that is a monstrosity. :urg:

Last edited:

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
My main in 64 is :kirby64:. Because I'm very fond of the Kirby games. He's also really good, but that's unrelated. :awesome: Secondary is :link64: because I'm a huge Zelda fan.

In Melee, my main is :younglinkmelee:. Once again because I am a Zelda nerd, but also because Young Link plays very well. Back when I was pretty good, it was one of the few 1-to-1 feelings in a video game I've had where it felt like everything I wanted to do happened on screen. Would like to pick him back up and get competitive, but all my friends who play Smash Bros are long gone. Secondaries are :kirbymelee: 'cuz character loyalty, and :mewtwomelee: 'cuz he's one of my favorite Pokeymanz and I actually enjoy his palystyle.

Never played Brawl very much, but my main would be :kirby2:. I had the easiest time wrapping my head around him, and I was glad he had been buffed back to relevancy. Secondaries were :rob:, because I liked how janky his movement was and I liked his aerials, :ike: because I enjoy fighting for my friends, and :dedede: because I liked throwing Waddle Dees and then crouching (:troll:). Despite being a Zelda nut, I never picked up the Hyrule cast because I couldn't really get used to how they played. Maybe if I'd played the game a little more.

For Sm4sh, definitely still maining :4kirby:, and hoping to pick :4link: back up. Definitely also using :4littlemac: extensively. :4myfriends:'s lookin' cool in this game, too. And if a certain large, purple, genetically modified, psychic kangaroo cat returns you can bet I'll be playing him as well.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I don't know who's who anymore. Enteis and derp genies everywhere.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
You know, I just got somewhat strangely sad over Big the Cat. Just, randomly and suddenly. I didn't even like him when he was in the series, and him being retired from the series was met from me with a "oh, ok" kind of reaction. But I suddenly just got hit with a wave of sadness for some reason. Alas, poor Big...
I can't even explain it. I just care all of a sudden for some reason.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I main character based on "feeling". The character that has the best "feel" for me is always my main.

I'm still deciding who I want to main in 64.

Melee is :peachmelee:. Turnips are a good projectile, especially since so many Melee players are bad at the item game and don't think to catch them, she has good range, Float mechanic is simply and allows me not to require L-cancel as much as I should, good kill power, is good at both defense and offense which allows a passive aggressive type of playstyle, her only real troublesome MU is :jigglypuffmelee: which can be covered pretty well by the easy to learn :drmario: and I can pull him out against :foxmelee: since he does a bit better then :peachmelee: does in the MU if I am not feeling it with :peachmelee: and since I am learning :drmario: I am also learning :mariomelee: by extension who can work as a soft counter to :sheikmelee:, :peachmelee:'s last tricky MU, if I am again not feeling it with :peachmelee:.

Brawl is :olimar:. Good range, great ground game, good air game, fantastic projectile, good grab game. He's just awesome. His only real troublesome MU is :popo: so I use :metaknight: to cover it, though maybe I should use :peach: instead since every :popo: probably know the :metaknight: MU lol.

Project M is :bowser2:. He is just soooooooooooo much fun to use and oh so satisfying.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Why the hell are people impersonating @GoldenYuiitusin?
It is because I wish I could be as cool and amazing as he is.

You know, I just got somewhat strangely sad over Big the Cat. Just, randomly and suddenly. I didn't even like him when he was in the series, and him being retired from the series was met from me with a "oh, ok" kind of reaction. But I suddenly just got hit with a wave of sadness for some reason. Alas, poor Big...
I can't even explain it. I just care all of a sudden for some reason.
I am genuinely a "Big the Cat" fan, it is unfortunate that he was renounced by the developers.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I am genuinely a "Big the Cat" fan, it is unfortunate that he was renounced by the developers.
Yeah... to be honest, I think one of the reasons for me caring might be because I've recently realized that he actually wasn't terrible in the Dark Brotherhood. I mean, most of that game is terrible, but Big surprisingly wasn't that bad in that game in particular. So, uh... :(
That is all

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Did that really happen? That's kind of upsetting. That would be like if Eiji Aonuma stated that he would no longer place Tingle in any more LoZ games.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I main character based on "feeling". The character that has the best "feel" for me is always my main.

I'm still deciding who I want to main in 64.

Melee is :peachmelee:. Turnips are a good projectile, especially since so many Melee players are bad at the item game and don't think to catch them, she has good range, Float mechanic is simply and allows me not to require L-cancel as much as I should, good kill power, is good at both defense and offense which allows a passive aggressive type of playstyle, her only real troublesome MU is :jigglypuffmelee: which can be covered pretty well by the easy to learn :drmario: and I can pull him out against :foxmelee: since he does a bit better then :peachmelee: does in the MU if I am not feeling it with :peachmelee: and since I am learning :drmario: I am also learning :mariomelee: by extension who can work as a soft counter to :sheikmelee:, :peachmelee:'s last tricky MU, if I am again not feeling it with :peachmelee:.

Brawl is :olimar:. Good range, great ground game, good air game, fantastic projectile, good grab game. He's just awesome. His only real troublesome MU is :popo: so I use :metaknight: to cover it, though maybe I should use :peach: instead since every :popo: probably know the :metaknight: MU lol.

Project M is :bowser2:. He is just soooooooooooo much fun to use and oh so satisfying.
I also play characters for the same reason, the character needs to "feel" right whether it be through viability, fun, move-set, or aesthetics. However, I would also assert that there is an aspect of character loyalty sprinkled in the mix. Honestly, I am very particular as I have to not only enjoy the character outside of Smash, but I have to be interested in the play-style as well. It influences my interpretation of characters to a significant extent. For instance, Dedede and Diddy Kong were some of my favorite Nintendo characters, but I did not like them in Smash, so I began to not enjoy them as Nintendo characters anymore. I have no idea why, it just happens.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hm? I didn't get a press release. Though if this is true, I should hear about it soon.
There was a picture apparently posted on their twitter and facebook for a short period of time and then taken down yesterday.
I figure we'll find out tomorrow if it wasn't a hoax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom