• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
That is odd. I have yet to see a cartoon that is childish. Usually those are very mature.
I mean, more childish than the original, I say, the original is childish but this Anime it's more childish.

It puzzles me knowing that the girls weren't related to each other or the professor.
- Professor Utonium has a son.
- The girls weren't related to each other.
- Ms. Bellum is blonde.
- Him is a Joker.
- The girls only have three powers. Hammer, bubbles and yo-yo.
- A ray gave girls their superpowers.
And there's more..

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Is that not what he stated?
He said he was puzzled by the fact that they weren't related to the Professor in the anime, but they weren't related to him in the original cartoon either. He created them in a lab. Which is different from the anime, in which they are three normal, unrelated high school girls who get struck by rays of Chemical Z.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I mean, if playing god and nourishing into existence your own creation, raising and taking care of them isn't "relation" then I don't know what is.

But let it be known that which composes sugar, spice and everything nice is apart of all of us!

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I mean, if playing god and nourishing into existence your own creation, raising and taking care of them isn't "relation" then I don't know what is.

But let it be known that which composes sugar, spice and everything nice is apart of all of us!
Not if my Y chromosome can help it.

Morbi

Scavenger
He said he was puzzled by the fact that they weren't related to the Professor in the anime, but they weren't related to him in the original cartoon either. He created them in a lab. Which is different from the anime, in which they are three normal, unrelated high school girls who get struck by rays of Chemical Z.
Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification.

You do not have to be related by blood to be family. Rainbows and happiness!

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
They don't ever say, I don't think.
Perhaps his original name was "It" but they changed the name to "Him" so the implications wouldn't force them to move the show to Adult Swim.
There's something about the word "him" that sounds...menacing. Can't really explain.

"her" is kinda meh, "it" doesn't have that same feeling either.

Imagine the Powerpuff Girls saying "look! It's It!" or "It's Her!"

Doesn't sound the same to me. Or maybe I just prefer "him" because I've already heard them say it on the show.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I think Game Theory brought this up first, but there are apparently a disproportionate number of gay people in fiction that are villains or portrayed also with a mental illness. I can see where they are coming from, but I also see it coming from the other direction: A disproportionate number of villains are male, a disproportionate number of deuteragonists are female, and so forth. While I do think there is a failure in the portrayal of gender and orientation balance, I also think these kinds of story telling elements are just imprinted on people's minds so they are dominant enough for them to reach for them first. Just look at Wonderful 101 (not that I've played it) or any Power Rangers styled series.

If someone commissioned you to come up with a super hero, I am sure most people would fashion a male superhero with some traditional element (like a costume, possibly with tights) because that's what most superheros already are.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
While I do think there is a failure in the portrayal of gender and orientation balance, I also think these kinds of story telling elements are just imprinted on people's minds so they are dominant enough for them to reach for them first. Just look at Wonderful 101 (not that I've played it) or any Power Rangers styled series.

If someone commissioned you to come up with a super hero, I am sure most people would fashion a male superhero with some traditional element (like a costume, possibly with tights) because that's what most superheros already are.
How does that make it less bad?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think Game Theory brought this up first, but there are apparently a disproportionate number of gay people in fiction that are villains or portrayed also with a mental illness. I can see where they are coming from, but I also see it coming from the other direction: A disproportionate number of villains are male, a disproportionate number of deuteragonists are female, and so forth. While I do think there is a failure in the portrayal of gender and orientation balance, I also think these kinds of story telling elements are just imprinted on people's minds so they are dominant enough for them to reach for them first. Just look at Wonderful 101 (not that I've played it) or any Power Rangers styled series.

Yeah, I've seen this for a long time.

These tropes sort of don't sit well with me, I can't stand gender tropes. I don't when it began, but for the longest time I have tried to push for the elimination of gender tropes, both in fiction and actual society (the latter, obviously being considerably more difficult, as it's basically programmed into our minds)

It may have started after seeing the backlash at the brony community, or maybe later.

Now, this sort of thing pretty much determines my every action. In any game I play, there's usually a character creation, and while said games are clearly designed for the player to make a male hero, I never do. My character in any game with customization is female. In Pokemon, I always chose the main character, until X/Y, where I chose Selena as the template.'' In Dark Souls, Fire Emblem, Saints Row, you name it, female lead.

I also really look hard for good female protagonists in games. Jill Valentine is probably my favorite, though Lucina is a really good example too.
My dislike of gender tropes also explains why I'm completely okay with the idea of a female Link, in fact, I am a huge advocate of that.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Yeah, I've seen this for a long time.

These tropes sort of don't sit well with me, I can't stand gender tropes. I don't when it began, but for the longest time I have tried to push for the elimination of gender tropes, both in fiction and actual society (the latter, obviously being considerably more difficult, as it's basically programmed into our minds)

It may have started after seeing the backlash at the brony community, or maybe later.

Now, this sort of thing pretty much determines my every action. In any game I play, there's usually a character creation, and while said games are clearly designed for the player to make a male hero, I never do. My character in any game with customization is female. In Pokemon, I always chose the main character, until X/Y, where I chose Selena as the template.'' In Dark Souls, Fire Emblem, Saints Row, you name it, female lead.

I also really look hard for good female protagonists in games. Jill Valentine is probably my favorite, though Lucina is a really good example too.
My dislike of gender tropes also explains why I'm completely okay with the idea of a female Link, in fact, I am a huge advocate of that.
Well, if you're arbitrarily making your avatar a female, it's still the same problem just coming from the other direction. Jill Valentine is a good example, but I think the best example is Lucca from Chrono Trigger. I think the series is often overlooked for its blurred portrayal of gender and orientation and (until parts of Chrono Cross) it engages you in thinking of strong characters without being conscious of them being female, and Lucca Ashtear is the best example of that.

She's an inventor, mildly egotistic and haughty, saves the lead character on at least two occasions, weeps after preventing her mother from crippling her legs, runs an orphanage, sympathizes with machines, and gives her life to prevent Mother Brain a la F.A.T.E. from rewriting history. That's a lot of character in one package, and she's female - but you're not even conscious of the fact meanwhile. The series portrays it that natural even when she's breaking the mold.

The Boss is also a great example like MSmariosonic said.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
The Boss is one of my favorite videogame characters.
Also EVA because of fan service.
The Boss looks cooler with her black cloak on and with her horse.
Don't care for her with her sneaking suit open and her breasts showing.

My character in any game with customization is female.
I chose Kris in Crystal because she was a new addition, and because her sprite is blue. (one of my favorite colors)

But they had to replace her with that dumb girl known as Lyra in Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Why? If it's because there was no female character in the original G/S and thus they had to make a new one, then that's a really stupid excuse.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
There should be a game where you play as some kind of. Abused, neglected, "freak" (as determined by the dominant ideology). And so you kill yourself and go to Hell. Except the game's not over, cause then you have to sort out your life. After it's already over. And ask the big questions about why things happened the way they did, why the world is the way it is, and why people can't be who they want to be. Why they end up in Hell instead of the other place. So the goal is to become the person you never could be when you were alive, and go to Heaven. Basically a long, protracted character creation menu... in Hell. And you wear a choker to cover the rope marks on your neck. Cause chokers are badass.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There should be a game where you play as some kind of. Abused, neglected, "freak" (as determined by the dominant ideology). And so you kill yourself and go to Hell. Except the game's not over, cause then you have to sort out your life. After it's already over. And ask the big questions about why things happened the way they did, why the world is the way it is, and why people can't be who they want to be. Why they end up in Hell instead of the other place. So the goal is to become the person you never could be when you were alive, and go to Heaven. Basically a long, protracted character creation menu... in Hell. And you wear a choker to cover the rope marks on your neck. Cause chokers are badass.
Emo: The Video Game

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
At what point does this stop being a video game and starts becoming an Avenged Sevenfold music video?

EDIT: Ninja'd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom