• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
They count.

Entered with a bang, I see. :laugh: No, seriously, that's hardly one you'd recommend to first-timers.
Well then I've watched 4 ...3 of them being some of the girliest animes ever. lol

I am super stoked for the Sailor Moon reboot though.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
It depends if "american dubbed anime on cable" counts. I have also seen Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh. I do not usually consider those "anime" though, I will always interpret them as cartoons.
Thats what I think too. Well only Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Everyone else calls them anime. Those were cartoons to me as a kid. DBZ and One Piece were always considered anime though. The only qualification was that they were on Toonami. :laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This question can spur as much debate as Sheik's gender.., Maybe not here, but in other parts of the internet.
Honestly, it depends whether you consider French Animation an Anime or a Cartoon. I say put them in their own category instead. :p

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
They count.

Entered with a bang, I see. :laugh: No, seriously, that's hardly one you'd recommend to first-timers.
One of my friends was someone who recommended and it's also technically the first anime I watched. :p

Don't ask how I found it. It would take me way too long to explain.
So how did you find it? The world wants to know! :colorful:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Anime are Japanese cartoons. That's the definition... outside of Japan. In Japan, anime refers to any and all animation, regardless if it was made in Japan or not.

Ugh, is the anime still ongoing then? If so, I'll just wait until it ends. I'm terrible at keeping up with things.
The anime is over already. 25 episodes.

It's the manga that's still ongoing. The anime's story is based on the first parts of the manga. There might be a second season for the anime, but it's pretty much unknown if it will happen.

D

Deleted member

So how did you find it? The world wants to know! :colorful:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nope.
Not explaining it.

In fact, I don't even think I'd be able to find my source anymore...

The anime is over already. 25 episodes.

It's the manga that's still ongoing. The anime's story is based on the first parts of the manga. There might be a second season for the anime, but it's pretty much unknown if it will happen.
Only twenty-five episodes?!

YES!

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I suppose that is what literally everyone recommends. "Read the book" they say, it is better they say.
Until you get halfway through the book and someone ruins it for you.
Or you could just be like me and be way too extremely lazy to read a book.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I read a manga called Uzumaki, once. I just decided to burn through it in 1 or 2 sittings.

I dare anyone reading this to do the same.

Uzumaki very much tickled my sensibilities, to say the least.
I think I've heard of it. I'm not entirely sure though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Most manga-based anime are pretty faithful to the manga.

I don't like it when an anime adaptation splits off the original storyline though, but sometimes the alternate stories are worth watching on their own.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The real question is: Does Avatar the Last Airbender count?
Well, cartoons such as the Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants are considered to be anime in Japan. So...yes, from a certain point of view?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The only anime that has prompted me to read the manga past where the anime finished is Attack on Titan.

Some people might find the anime a bit overrated but it's my cup of tea ~

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Sailor Moon Crystal airs tomorrow!

BUT IT'S NOT AIRING HERE!? DSFHGJHFGHSKAKYRSJHJYWSJYHDYJSKMHDHJN

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, cartoons such as the Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants are considered to be anime in Japan. So...yes, from a certain point of view?
I think he means by the American definition which is pretty much Japanese Cartoons.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think I've heard of it. I'm not entirely sure though.
[collapse=On Uzumaki]
It's a pretty short series. It concerns the Curse of the Spiral; in a small Japanese town, the motif of the spiral recurs again and again via various paranormal occurrences, which get progressively weirder and more absurd (and on a grander scale) as time progresses.

In short, it's a Lovecraftian descent into madness where nothing is explained. Lots of disturbing and shocking imagery, so it probably isn't for everyone. Which is precisely why I recommend everyone give it a whirl. 8D
[/collapse]

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sailor Moon Crystal airs tomorrow!

BUT IT'S NOT AIRING HERE!? DSFHGJHFGHSKAKYRSJHJYWSJYHDYJSKMHDHJN
I thought you said you didn't watch anime. :denzel:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Most manga-based anime are pretty faithful to the manga.

I don't like it when an anime adaptation splits off the original storyline though, but sometimes the alternate stories are worth watching on their own.
Deja Vu, like 20 pages ago we got into the exact same discussion, about this and how FullMetal Alchemist pulled that off.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think he means by the American definition which is pretty much Japanese Cartoons.
Why do we not do what the Japanese (and presumably every other language) do and just refer to all animation as, "cartoons" or the equivalent. I suppose that would be too logical and all of those parents that call anime "those Japanese cartoons" would be correct. We cannot have that, can we?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
[collapse=On Uzumaki]
It's a pretty short series. It concerns the Curse of the Spiral; in a small Japanese town, the motif of the spiral recurs again and again via various paranormal occurrences, which get progressively weirder and more absurd (and on a grander scale) as time progresses.

In short, it's a Lovecraftian descent into madness where nothing is explained. Lots of disturbing and shocking imagery, so it probably isn't for everyone. Which is precisely why I recommend everyone give it a whirl. 8D
[/collapse]
Yeah, now I remember it. I think I saw the "Jack-in-the-box" one.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In Japanese, anime (アニメ) is just the term for animation.

It's us Westerners that made the Japanese word (which ironically has its origins on a Western language term) mean Japanese animation exclusively. The Japanese refer to anything animated as anime.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I know right? :awesome:
Why would you do that to me?
You're a sick human being.
Sick!

Sick!

The real question is: Does Avatar the Last Airbender count?
I have a feeling you're joking...

But I don't care!

Depends on how you define "anime."

Ask a Japanese person if it's anime and they'll say it is.
But they'd say that any cartoon is "anime."
Songebob is anime. :troll:

Is "anime" an artsyle? If that's your way, then you could make a case for Avatar since the creators have admitted to, and made it very clear through their style, that there is Japanese influence. Though it's arguable even under that definition.
And you could then also argue that cartoons made in Japan aren't anime, since not every cartoon from Japan "looks" like "anime."

I, and most people, prefer to define "anime" as "cartoons of Japanese origin." In which case Avatar is not an anime.

Yes, anime are cartoons.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Thanks for the clarification, now what really needs a 2nd season is Kill la Kill
KLK doesn't need a second season. The story reached its conclusion (because the central premise and all major questions have been resolved).

The finale was a little rushed, though the OVA coming in September may tie some last loose ends and whatnot. Even so, there's nothing more that KLK can do, unless they pull an entirely new story out of the aether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom