• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Thread 5.0: ITT - ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! Including the page we end at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Designing for casual and hardcore players is not mutually exclusive.
For, casuals inherently do not care as much about a game's integral mechanics.
They play the game for more superficial reasons.
If a game's designer be magnanimous and knowledgable, he will design the game's intricacies with the hardcore in mind.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Completely unrelated to Smash but I think I have uncovered a rare Toy Story gem: a signed Wheezy Penguin figure from the late Joe Ranft, a Pixar animator.

I NEED it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm one of the very few here who just loves Wario's moveset in this game. Guess I don't care if he has Wario Land moves...

To be fair, Bowser and Donkey Kong had the grunts when 64 and Melee came out. Diddy doesn't even't have a voice, since he always sounds like a chimp. Bowser Jr. and the koopalings have always had their voices, so it makes sense to have them. Still one of the few who prefers these voices as well.

NO, I NEED MY DOCTOR....Ok, being serious for a moment. It's been explained how he doesn't want this to happen, since he was already playable. Since people have played with him and liked his physics and such, it would be bad to include him as only a costume. That's his reasoning anyway.
I get a tear of disappointment every time someone says that Paper Mario should replace the doc :(

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
To be fair, Bowser and Donkey Kong had the grunts when 64 and Melee came out. Diddy doesn't even't have a voice, since he always sounds like a chimp. Bowser Jr. and the koopalings have always had their voices, so it makes sense to have them. Still one of the few who prefers these voices as well.

NO, I NEED MY DOCTOR....Ok, being serious for a moment. It's been explained how he doesn't want this to happen, since he was already playable. Since people have played with him and liked his physics and such, it would be bad to include him as only a costume. That's his reasoning anyway.
Yeah, but after Melee, Bowser had an official voice. Same for DK and Diddy (even though it's just monkey noises).
So then why do they still have to sound like generic animals ? Luigi changed his voice from Melee to Brawl, but not DK and Bowser. I'm sorry, but I found this kinda dumb.

And I know the reasons of Sakurai and his team for letting the Doc as his own character. But, admit that Doc is still a dumb addition to the game to begin with. It's just Mario in a doctor suit, how come he suddenly becomes stronger ? Slower and heavier, maybe, but stronger ? Damn Dr.Mario, I never knew you ate your own pills to get stronger.

Soul.

"the crybaby community" means me, of course, my apparent pessimism is too much.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Today is Nascar day! and of course it's raining... :substitute:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
"Crybaby community?"

The only people I see in that category are

-the people who want multiple reps for the same third party franchises
-the people who want Waluigi, Ridley, or Goku
-pretty much 90% of miiverse.

Soul.

Because calling me that is utter nonsense when I don't think the worst will happen; I hope everybody here realizes that before jumping into conclusions. :]
/endrant

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
It's funny, people always hated Diddy Kong.
In Brawl and PM, his bananas were a nightmare.
In Smash, the Hoo Hah master race made a lot of players flew away from the game.

:4diddy:wasn't that innocent when you think about it.

D

Deleted member

"Crybaby community?"

The only people I see in that category are

-the people who want multiple reps for the same third party franchises
-the people who want Waluigi, Ridley, or Goku
-pretty much 90% of miiverse.
And Ice Climbers. Just because they got removed, a bunch of people have to go and backlash the portable version.

D

Deleted member

Because calling me that is utter nonsense when I don't think the worst will happen; I hope everybody here realizes that before jumping into conclusions. :]
/endrant
You're not pessimistic. Everyone is.

The end.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
It's funny, people always hated Diddy Kong.
In Brawl and PM, his bananas were a nightmare.
In Smash, the Hoo Hah master race made a lot of players flew away from the game.

:4diddy:wasn't that innocent when you think about it.
Maybe we should add in Kiddy Kong. EVERYONE LIKES KIDDY!

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Yeah, but after Melee, Bowser had an official voice. Same for DK and Diddy (even though it's just monkey noises).
So then why do they still have to sound like generic animals ? Luigi changed his voice from Melee to Brawl, but not DK and Bowser. I'm sorry, but I found this kinda dumb.

And I know the reasons of Sakurai and his team for letting the Doc as his own character. But, admit that Doc is still a dumb addition to the game to begin with. It's just Mario in a doctor suit, how come he suddenly becomes stronger ? Slower and heavier, maybe, but stronger ? Damn Dr.Mario, I never knew you ate your own pills to get stronger.
Hey, good point. The only thing that could possibly explain it is Luigi's personality. Between Melee and Brawl, Luigi finally became something that wasn't just 2nd Mario. He became more cowardly and the quirkiness in his voice reflects that. Just as a question, had their been any other game where Luigi sounded just like a higher pitched Mario? It might just be because Luigi had NEVER sounded like that. Again, at least Bowser and Donkey Kong had this excuse at first.

For the point on Dr.Mario, he was just one of the 6 clones chosen. Easy to make and include. They needed at least a few things to change him up, and this was one of the few ways. But hey that's just speculation :p

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Just as a question, had their been any other game where Luigi sounded just like a higher pitched Mario? It might just be because Luigi had NEVER sounded like that.
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit
  • Japanese versions of Mario Kart 64
Off the top of my head but I still agree with your reasoning.

T

Trick or Treat

I will always be a "casual" and prefer that ise of Smash, as I have said many times before. As fun as the competitive battling is, and I am enjoying all the 1v1s I have had here, I still believe that Smash is and always has/will be a fun, chaotic party game first, with a just as viable and enjoyable competitive side. I don't think it should ever focus on just one style of play, which is why Smash 4 is great because you can at least see that they are trying to cater to the competitive side mode than before.

Maybe I am just a "filthy casual" but that is me and always will be. I grew up with Smash being a party game where four (now 8) of my favorite characters can battle it out on fun stages with Mario throwing a Poke Ball at a Bob-omb-holding Link.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The hard thing about competitive Smash, is the fact Sakurai didn't want it to be competitive in the first place. It was just suppose to be a chaotic fighting/party game. That doesn't mean he doesn't try to include some competitive parts here and there. It's just never been the priority.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Hey, good point. The only thing that could possibly explain it is Luigi's personality. Between Melee and Brawl, Luigi finally became something that wasn't just 2nd Mario. He became more cowardly and the quirkiness in his voice reflects that. Just as a question, had their been any other game where Luigi sounded just like a higher pitched Mario? It might just be because Luigi had NEVER sounded like that. Again, at least Bowser and Donkey Kong had this excuse at first.

For the point on Dr.Mario, he was just one of the 6 clones chosen. Easy to make and include. They needed at least a few things to change him up, and this was one of the few ways. But hey that's just speculation :p
In the N64 era, Luigi never had his proper voice we know today.
And Melee was developped at the same time with Luigi's Mansion, the game where he had his voice we all know today.
So I guess Sakurai just used a "high pitched Mario voice" just because he wasn't sure of his official voice I guess.
But even with that, they still needed to change the voice of Bowser and DK to their official ones with Brawl. They had no excuse except the poor "oh, it's just to have consistency".

And yeah, even though the idea of Doc is dumb, he's still fun. I never really minded his apparition in Smash. Others do however.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I will always be a "casual" and prefer that ise of Smash, as I have said many times before. As fun as the competitive battling is, and I am enjoying all the 1v1s I have had here, I still believe that Smash is and always has/will be a fun, chaotic party game first, with a just as viable and enjoyable competitive side. I don't think it should ever focus on just one style of play, which is why Smash 4 is great because you can at least see that they are trying to cater to the competitive side mode than before.

Maybe I am just a "filthy casual" but that is me and always will be. I grew up with Smash being a party game where four (now 8) of my favorite characters can battle it out on fun stages with Mario throwing a Poke Ball at a Bob-omb-holding Link.
Envy, you are not a filthy casual, you are merely in intellectual error.
Making a game deep and interesting, that is, competitive, doesn't come at the cost of it being a good chaotic party game.
Additionally, a game may end up completely aside from a developer's intention, therefore whether they tried or not to cater to both doesn't matter, sadly.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
The hard thing about competitive Smash, is the fact Sakurai didn't want it to be competitive in the first place. It was just suppose to be a chaotic fighting/party game. That doesn't mean he doesn't try to include some competitive parts here and there. It's just never been the priority.
It's funny because he was in competitive games, but he created Smash as an answer to them. A completely different view on fighting games.
But in the end, it doesn't even matter. Thanks Fox.
:foxmelee:

Why hello, tiny man.

Holy Mary Mother of Joseph !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom