• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pit has class, Dark Pit has swag. Seriously guys what are we not understanding about this very clear dichotomy
Perhaps I didn't phrase it well enough(or you're being silly). I mean gameplay differences. :)

On a tangential note, I'd let tingle take me
A winner is you.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I actually prefer Dark Pit to Pit now simply because he is black and edgy.
Also because he is so edgy he gets away with having a gun (in his FS)
Though I do wish he had Pit's Brawl moveset.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Some ijit on Miiverse, a long time ago, yelled at me for the Fountain of Dreams stage having a unique song that's "It's trademark for that stage and Nightmare in Dreamland, u so stoopid", and I'm just like;
"Dude... that's a remix of Gourmet Race from Kirby Superstar."
Then he called a bunch of other people to yell at me and false report me, and I got banned for 2 weeks.
BUT I STILL GO ON MIIVERSE ANYWAY.
WHATISWRONGWITHME?!
Lol.

I think being somewhat known can be relevant, at least for 3rd Parties(Pac-Man had another reason, but if Miyamoto never suggested him he's the most well known of Bandai-Namco's characters) or for extra characters in a franchise. That would somewhat explain the choices on clones. Alph just doesn't have what the other 3 do.

I more or less agree with you, but I don't think those reasons are entirely bull. Just not the be-end-all. I think many would agree the series could all be slightly more evened out. I still like this roster, but I would have made changes.
Well, I admit I was blunt (as I always am when I'm voicing my opinions :p), but I'm just commenting how certain arguments people use to criticize the roster could apply to previous games.

It's like people are surprised past events repeated. I mean, for a Nintendo All-Stars game, who the hell was Lucas, a guy from a Japan-only game?

Anyway, major question; What are Dark Pit and Pit's differences beyond their wrist rings and Final Smash?
Other gameplay differences are their side specials: Pit's Upperdash Arm sends foes upwards, while Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm sends foes diagonally. Pit's Palutena Bow fires easier to control, longer ranged arrows with lesser damage output, while Dark Pit's Silver Bow shoots arrows that are harder to control, have less range, but deal more damage.

In both, those different proprieties carry over to the custom specials, except for arrow control, which is identical for the two bow variations.

Besides that, they have different taunts and victory animations, reflecting their different personalities. (Maybe this also motivated Sakurai to promote Lucina and Dark Pit to their own slots? I do remember he said it wouldn't fit Dr. Mario to have him shoot fireballs... And the alt characters, Koopalings and Alph, share taunts and victory animations. Dark Pit and Lucina have very different taunts and win animations. I admit it would have been a bit odd seeing Lucina and Dark Pit do the same animations as their counterparts, even though they would have different voice clips.)

Taunts, win poses, Final Smashes, side specials and neutral specials aside, they're identical.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, I admit I was blunt (as I always am when I'm voicing my opinions :p), but I'm just commenting how certain arguments people use to criticize the roster could apply to previous games.

It's like people are surprised past events repeated. I mean, for a Nintendo All-Stars game, who the hell was Lucas, a guy from a Japan-only game?
Yeah. Poor Roy... wait, his first game was Melee. Awkward.

Other gameplay differences are their side specials: Pit's Upperdash Arm sends foes upwards, while Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm sends foes diagonally. Pit's Palutena Bow fires easier to control, longer ranged arrows with lesser damage output, while Dark Pit's Silver Bow shoots arrows that are harder to control, have less range, but deal more damage.

In both, those different proprieties carry over to the custom specials, except for arrow control, which is identical for the two bow variations.

Besides that, they have different taunts and victory animations, reflecting their different personalities. (Maybe this also motivated Sakurai to promote Lucina and Dark Pit to their own slots? I do remember he said it wouldn't fit Dr. Mario to have him shoot fireballs... And the alt characters, Koopalings and Alph, share taunts and victory animations. Dark Pit and Lucina have very different taunts and win animations. I admit it would have been a bit odd seeing Lucina and Dark Pit do the same animations as their counterparts, even though they would have different voice clips.)

Taunts, win poses, Final Smashes, side specials and neutral specials aside, they're identical.
Yeah, makes sense. Them having unique taunts was logical enough. Every clone so far has done that, after all.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually prefer Dark Pit to Pit now simply because he is black and edgy.
Also because he is so edgy he gets away with having a gun (in his FS)
Though I do wish he had Pit's Brawl moveset.
Said gun, called a staff in KIU, is also usable by Pit in KIU, like all weapons.

All staff weapons in KIU are more like sniper rifles than the usual magic staffs seen in fiction. The one Dark Pit uses for the Final Smash is aptly called "Dark Pit Staff" and is one of his signature weapons, along with the Silver Bow.

Yeah. Poor Roy... wait, his first game was Melee. Awkward.

Yeah, makes sense. Them having unique taunts was logical enough. Every clone so far has done that, after all.
The different taunts for Dark Pit and Lucina may have been more of Sakurai's nitpicking. Once again, like fellow clone Dr. Mario.

For the same reason he thought Dr. Mario wouldn't fit as a alt for Mario due to fireballs, he probably thought the same of Dark Pit with the Three Sacred Treasures. And maybe he thought Lucina wouldn't be given enough justice by putting her as a Marth alt. (Still gives Falco a Landmaster, though. >_>)

The Koopalings and Bowser Jr. make sense as alts, since the focus is the Clown Car. That, and making 7 clones of the same character is insanity. As for Alph, he and Olimar don't display much personality in Smash and the taunts and win animations come off as rather generic.

And there's the popularity factor when considering Lucina and Dark Pit. They're both quite popular characters in Japan. Fire Emblem has always been a popular series over there like many other JRPG/SRPG series and, as far as I know, Kid Icarus: Uprising was a big thing in Japan when it was released and I think it still has a significant amount of popularity over there.

Perhaps, if we try to look at things from a Japanese point of view, we may get more insight on the choices made for Smash. Think about it, if we consider Japanese developers like Miyamoto as big names in video game industry, try to imagine how the Japanese feel. I remember that one of Bandai Namco's producers for this game stated how much of an honor it was for them to work in Smash with Sakurai, calling it one of the series Japan takes great pride on.

To be honest, this roster makes a lot of sense when seen from a Japanese point of view.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno why Metal Sonic is my favorite Sonic character when I dislike Dark Pit so much

Eh, that's actually one of my least favorite alt costumes.
Part of Mewtwo's visual appeal to me is his striking gaze, which is not present in that costume.
It's one of my favorite costumes

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think they could have solved the mario thing with the pills as a custom move

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So;
Mega Flygon is a thing now.
...Mega Slaking when?
:troll:

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Still better than Pac-Man & The Ghostly Adventures, especially the same show that makes immature fart jokes and having the worst TV opening in history. I'll never look at "The Pac is Back" the same way again after listening to it once and hearing that phrase *In Maverick Hunter's voice* over and over and over and over and over and over again! Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of Boom and find some pretty funny moments in both media (Which is something Ghostly Adventures failed at doing).
Agree, even though I don't remember any fart jokes on Pac Man & The Ghostly Adventure.

Also, I prefer traditional 2D animation then CGI, which thankfully Adventure Time deliver on it's animation. (and it's story, but who gives a :4roy:)

It's kinda sad that people look down on the show.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I tough TTYD released in November except Japan while it's true execpt for America...

Because the date in America is October 11...

Good to know because I have to do a special post on that day now...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ooh, I bet if some edgy studio picks up Kid Icarus next Dark Pit comes back as a fallen angel with like his wings cut off and junk

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Having played both Sonic games and KIU, I can say Shadow and Dark Pit, while similar, have their differences.

Dark Pit doesn't have the crapload of angst Shadow has. Dark Pit is more of a snarker than Shadow is. Dark Pit kind of grows out of the "edgy Pit" thing by the end of the game, becoming a friendlier character. Still with his sassy and jerk moments, though.

Then again, I do pay a lot of attention to small details.

Anyway, it's easy to draw parallels between Shadow and Dark Pit. They both fit the same character archetype, after all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The biggest problem I have with Dark Pit is his lack of cosmetic differences from Pit...
But I can't think of anything to change that would make sense.

Tattered toga maybe? That's "edgy".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The biggest problem I have with Dark Pit is his lack of cosmetic differences from Pit...

Black Leather toga

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

I think it speaks volumes that I rather have Shadow than Dark Pit playable for the sole reason of Dark Pit having NO distinguishable features from Pit other than being literally recoloured, and not even in a creative way.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One thing I hate about Mega Evolutions:
Hearing about one being confirmed leads me to scouring the internet for scans of its artwork, only to find dozens of fan-made versions of said Mega Evolution.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Another difference between Dark Pit and Shadow:
Dark Pit has a more defined morality than Shadow. He may be an utter jerk at times but he definitely won't sit back as Hades and the Chaos Kin do their evil deeds. He's also the one to call out on the gods for their crap and how they blame humans for the world's problems afterwards. Viridi gets completely pissed off but Palutena admits he's right.

Contrast with Shadow who has worked with Eggman before and may even go down the path of evil in his own game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Another difference between Dark Pit and Shadow:
Dark Pit has a more defined morality than Shadow. He may be an utter jerk at times but he definitely won't sit back as Hades and the Chaos Kin do their evil deeds. He's also the one to call out on the gods for their crap and how they blame humans for the world's problems afterwards. Viridi gets completely pissed off but Palutena admits he's right.

Contrast with Shadow who has worked with Eggman before and may even go down the path of evil in his own game.
To be fair, canon-wise, Shadow saves the world. Again. He's a bit rough, but he's a true hero in the end.

Also, I feel that Metal Sonic is better as Sonic's true polar opposite, especially moveset-wise. They are near identical. Shadow completely split off with Guns, severely unique Chaos Powers(06, Shadow, Battle), and never stayed evil/on the Villain's side.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
To be fair, canon-wise, Shadow saves the world. Again. He's a bit rough, but he's a true hero in the end.

Also, I feel that Metal Sonic is better as Sonic's true polar opposite, especially moveset-wise. They are near identical. Shadow completely split off with Guns, severely unique Chaos Powers(06, Shadow, Battle), and never stayed evil/on the Villain's side.
Shadow saves the world out of Maria's desire, isn't it? I remember that, though a bit vaguely. I think they butchered his character afterwards. He was meant to die, to sacrifice himself in a heroic, selfless act. Once they brought him back, the meaning of that was lost... and that's how you not write a compelling story. But then again, the Sonic canon is incoherent convoluted mess anyway.

But that is not the reason I like Dark Pit better. He's a character that thinks for himself and looks at the world with his own eyes. It's a trait I find positive and something I kind of relate to as well.

Another character I wanted a lot in Smash was Robin, as you know. I like him as a character for more or less the same reasons as I like Dark Pit. His theme/story is basically about finding one's own identity and place in the world, something I can also relate to. He also shares the whole changing fate thing with Lucina, a theme I also liked in that game.

Anyway, speaking of Robin and looking at my current avatar, Grima is a really scary villain. He wants to wipe out humanity by putting the world through hell. Typical villain plot here, right? But the scary part is that his motivations are unknown, but they're definitely not out of pleasure, to attain power or to exact revenge. He just wants to do it for whatever reason that isn't completely understood.

And yes, I tend to look deeper into characters' personalities and motivations. It makes them more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom