• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE!

Not one of you mentioned crush cream soda. I am disappointed in all of you.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I have something to share. Behold. The single most useful Mii in existence. You will need no others. For there is only Muga Mon!
006.JPG

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay guys, so I'm obsessed with spelling and....

Americans never spell the word practice with an s? In the UK, Canada, etc. S, "practise" is the verb, "practice" is the noun. Technically you could get away with either though. Words like defence and offence are -ce though, with no -se variant like is the standard in the US.

Pretence is an odd one, some Canadians spell it -se, I

If the US usually drops U's, why is there still a u in glamour? And if the US usually changes -re to -er, then why is macabre always spelled macabre?
Because glamor and macaber are stupid. In America, we just go with what looks the coolest. :4jigglypuff:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
You have tasted pee?
What's it like?
Can't say I've tasted pee but based on what I've smelled at my college's public bathrooms thats where they get the ingredients.

At least you have Ivy from Gamestop. At least you have her. At least you have someone.
I have to pay to have her call me and a college student's salary is not enough to support more calls from Ivy unfortunately.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE!

Not one of you mentioned crush cream soda. I am disappointed in all of you.
Cream soda is forged by demons. It is used to create nothing but chaos in this mortal world. And the fact you like it means only one thing. You have fallen.

D

Deleted member

Americans never spell the word practice with an s? In the UK, Canada, etc. S, "practise" is the verb, "practice" is the noun. Technically you could get away with either though. Words like defence and offence are -ce though, with no -se variant like is the standard in the US.

If the US usually drops U's, why is there still a u in glamour? And if the US usually changes -re to -er, then why is macabre always spelled macabre?
Because we hate you.
If you want an actual reasonable answer, it has to do with Websters Dictionary for reasons that are too much for my tiny brain to handle. All you need to know is after the dictionary was published, spellings in it caught on here in the US and never actually transferred to places over the pond.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Anything new?
Certainly not your approach to a conversation. :4jigglypuff:

Can't say I've tasted pee but based on what I've smelled at my college's public bathrooms thats where they get the ingredients.

I have to pay to have her call me and a college student's salary is not enough to support more calls from Ivy unfortunately.
Poor Ivy.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So, I need sleep.

Was reading new skullgirls lore for the past hour and a half. Good stuff.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh gosh, I'm on that Play Nintendo website, and I click on the question block, and this thing pops up:

Scared the crap outta me!... But now that I've calmed down, Kirby's kinda cute.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Because glamor and macaber are stupid. In America, we just go with what looks the coolest. :4jigglypuff:
Well, flavour, colour, centre, travelled and fulfilment look cooler to me.

US spelling of the first four feels like a letter is missing and I remember getting the last one by sheer luck on a spelling test in Elementary school and always remembering the oddity of the word fulfilment.

Would if blow your mind that Lieutenant is pronounced left-tenant officially in the Commonwealth countries (and by most common folk including me?)

Also, team Z = Zed!

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Poor Ivy.
Eh, she'll live. Heard she's already moved on to tell some other gamer about his shadows of mordor pre order.

Is it even possible to do homework tonight or this weekend for that matter? Can I just drop out of school to play smash? I would assume the pay is much better than whatever job I'm going to land in for that matter :sick:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who really likes cream soda.

Like, it's never at any restaurants, and I can never find the 710 ml 6 packs anywhere, meanwhile cola and root beer are everywhere.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Also, I found out that @ Cap'nChreest Cap'nChreest made this "wonderful" avi.
It's like everyone I knew and loved went against me for some reason that I don't know.
Every time I see your pic I think its me posting. If that helps... Seeing anime girls on the left side of the screen makes me think its me posting...

for some strange reason....

especially since I drew it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Every time I see your pic I think its me posting. If that helps... Seeing anime girls on the left side of the screen makes me think its me posting...

for some strange reason....

especially since I drew it.
And I think it should have never been created by human thought.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Who knows really... Not only that, but the use of many other things like quotation mark punctuation differs too. You could kinda take a guess where someone is from by their spelling and grammar, but I don't really like to assume things. All I know is that if I use American spelling and grammar in my college papers, I'll get deducted marks. Why not start practising such things daily, like even in the little places like forums? This is why I usually never change my Canadian spelling here and if I'm not sure on a word, I'll look up the Canadian spelling.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Who knows really... Not only that, but the use of many other things like quotation mark punctuation differs too. You could kinda take a guess where someone is from by their spelling and grammar, but I don't really like to assume things. All I know is that if I use American spelling and grammar in my college papers, I'll get deducted marks. Why not start practising such things daily, like even in the little places like forums? This is why I usually never change my Canadian spelling here and if I'm not sure on a word, I'll look up the Canadian spelling.
I never really have much of a problem with spelling, I just find it fascinating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom