• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Of the enemies in Smash Run, the majority of them are from Kid Icarus: Uprising with 19 enemies. Mario comes in a close second with 14, next is Zelda, KIrby and Subspace Emissary with similar numbers (around 8-10), with Pokémon having 6, Metroid having 4 and, Pikmin, DK and EarthBound with 2 enemies. From other Nintendo series you have the Ghosts from Find Mii/StreetPass Quest, the Polar Bear from Ice Climber and the Sneaky Spirit from Rhythm Heaven. For the third-parties, Sonic and Mega Man get one each and there are two more from classic Namco arcade games.

I think Sakurai went a little overboard with the number of KIU enemies, but on the other hand, they behave identically to the original game (except on a 2D plane instead of 3D). The models and animations are identical, which leads me to believe they were imported from Uprising, which makes sense given it's a 3DS game.

Most Zelda enemies are from Ocarina of Time and likely have re-used assets from the 3DS remake.
You know what else had a game on the 3DS? LoZ Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox 64 and Donkey Kong Returns 3D. Yet there's probably one-two characters to each of those games, some don't have any at all. It's Sakurai bias, plain and simple, and if there is a reason behind it I've yet to see one. Your reason isn't valid, either.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
So you're telling me I must stand to have the name of some losers with no social interaction that do nothing more than watch anime all day and are hated in Japan as part of my username?

Man, I hate my otaku days.
Give yourself a few years. You'll see. Or change it and feel better about yourself because you stomped on a part of your childhood. Whichever seems healthier to you, bro.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering even Uprising-enemies that don't appear in Smash Run have trophies, I think there are just a few missing. I'm actually wondering how many Mario and Zelda have. I assume Mario has even more than Pokémon, but Zelda may be a bit negligent. If I only knew Zelda...
Somebody really should do a proper list. >_>

Well, they might have imported models from Uprising. It's the only 3D game of the series, after all.

There's still a good chunk of elements from KIU that debuted in the original NES game. (Pit, Palutena, Medusa, enemies like Monoeyes or Reapers and so on...)

Having played both the NES game and Uprising, I can say most of the content from the NES game (characters, enemies, locations and bosses) also appear in Uprising.

On the KI enemies, the 15 or so in Smash Run are just a few enemies from the entirety of KIU.

That game did have a load of stuff. It's as big as a Smash Bros. game in content (has 400+ idols to collect, which are pretty much the same thing as Smash's trophies; has the challenge board with 100s of achievements). It is a Sakurai game, after all.

You may think Sakurai bias on seeing so much stuff from KIU in this game (and I partially agree with that), but it's really few compared to what KIU has to offer.
I think even Pokemon could've had less trophies, if it makes you feel any better. But yeah, I do agree the "easy to port" makes it a good way to save time. I doubt it's just pure bias here. I mean, maybe a little, but it seems more like "I need to fill it with context, what options do I have?" The Wii U isn't as easy to port to for some, so... it should take far more effort.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I think even Pokemon could've had less trophies, if it makes you feel any better. But yeah, I do agree the "easy to port" makes it a good way to save time. I doubt it's just pure bias here. I mean, maybe a little, but it seems more like "I need to fill it with context, what options do I have?" The Wii U isn't as easy to port to for some, so... it should take far more effort.
You gotta save time where you can - not to mention the trophies are supposed to be handheld title based on the 3DS version.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You know those kinds of houses that have 2 layers of walls with the upper layer sticking out a bit, just enough that a bug can squeeze in there?
My next door neighbor has that kind of house
I can't even count how many Wasps I've seen going in there.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They also appear in the first game.

Still, I think some KIU enemies could have been replaced with enemies from other games. Preferably from series with no enemies, such as Fire Emblem (which could have Revenants and Entombed from FE:A or other monsters from FE: Sacred Stones).

More Pokémon wouldn't have been a bad idea either.
It would have been really cool to have Risen in Smash Run.
You'd think Fire Emblem enemies would be bland, but they could be really unique.

Entombed could move along the ground as a puddle then rise up to attack once close. Archers could fire volleys of arrows. Fighters could toss slow but strong Hand Axes at the player.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
You know those kinds of houses that have 2 layers of walls with the upper layer sticking out a bit, just enough that a bug can squeeze in there?
My next door neighbor has that kind of house
I can't even count how many Wasps I've seen going in there.
wasps love dem walls.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
They could have easily imported 3D models from X and Y
From the looks of it, the Pokémon models do look the same as the ones from X/Y.

You know what else had a game on the 3DS? LoZ Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox 64 and Donkey Kong Returns 3D. Yet there's probably one-two characters to each of those games, some don't have any at all. It's Sakurai bias, plain and simple, and if there is a reason behind it I've yet to see one. Your reason isn't valid, either.
I'm well aware it's Sakurai being biased. Honestly, I'm not surprised, since he did start developing Smash right after finishing KIU and likely had the game fresh in his mind when planning Smash and you know he likes to recycle his previous games' ideas. There are a lot of recurring elements in his games regardless of the series they're from.

He himself admitted he thought on a lot of ideas for Smash during KIU's development. Gameplay-wise, KIU feels a lot like Smash, with similar mechanics and pacing. It's basically Smash and a 3rd person shooter put in a blender.

Also, I don't think the Star Fox series has stuff that would fit in Smash Run, but I could be wrong since I never played a Star Fox game.

It's a mix of bias and easy to port stuff, but like @ Cobalsh Cobalsh stated, there are other 3DS games they could have ported stuff from.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So custom track hacks are slowly now a thing for Mario Kart 8:

Don't see it going far like it did with Mario Kart Wii due to the fact of Nintendo Network IDs and Nintendo having the power to ban people.
That's awesome though. It's always cool to see fans put there own spin on things.

Also, congrats to @Venus of the Desert Bloom.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
For my Birthday my aunt gave me Super Mario 64 on a classic N64 Cartridge
I don't have a N64 though
So I need one
Then I can find SSB64 and Banjo Kazooie :3

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Yeah if the Wii U version does not have an Adventure mode that has all of the Smash Run enemies plus a few dozen more to off-set the obvious Kid Icarus bias I will be highly turned off. Only way I can ignore this is if Sakurai admits that he used more Uprising enemies because he just had to slightly alter the models from the files he had from working on KI already. It's lazy and I agree that it does not make it any better but still...

What really rubs me the wrong way is that certain series have NO enemies. WTH Sakurai? I can't see there not being more enemies in whatever mode the Wii U version has because of this. I am really disappointed that Pikmin does not have more enemies. That game is a gold mine for fun creatures to fight!

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Also, I don't think the Star Fox series has stuff that would fit in Smash Run, but I could be wrong since I never played a Star Fox game.
Well, there are the Aparoids from Assault and Command.

If it has to be from 64, though, I don't think there is anything unless enemy ships are enemies.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
From the looks of it, the Pokémon models do look the same as the ones from X/Y.

I'm well aware it's Sakurai being biased. Honestly, I'm not surprised, since he did start developing Smash right after finishing KIU and likely had the game fresh in his mind when planning Smash and you know he likes to recycle his previous games' ideas. There are a lot of recurring elements in his games regardless of the series they're from.

He himself admitted he thought on a lot of ideas for Smash during KIU's development. Gameplay-wise, KIU feels a lot like Smash, with similar mechanics and pacing. It's basically Smash and a 3rd person shooter put in a blender.

It's a mix of bias and easy to port stuff, but like @ Cobalsh Cobalsh stated, there are other 3DS games they could have ported stuff from.
Best place to start Star Foxing? StarFox Adventures

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Y'know I've always wondered why they used Adult Link for Smash when most games have a child Link playable.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You don't have an N64? Did...did you even have a childhood?

:troll:
I had a N64
Paper Mario was the talk of my town back then
I also had Banjo, Mario 64 (The same cartridge I have now, how nostalgic) and I think Majoras Mask, among others
But then my Uncle sold said N64 and all the games except Mario 64 :C

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Y'know I've always wondered why they used Adult Link for Smash when most games have a child Link playable.
When Smash 64 came out it was right after Ocarina of Time, which had the first real adult Link, which was a huge deal.
Same for Melee, and then of course there was Twilight Princess in Brawl.
Also, iirc Miyamoto thought Link looked really cool and even redesigned Ocarina of Time to be able to see him. And it's become increasingly clear how other games' developers influence their presence in Smash.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Well, there's the lots and LOTS of fangirls, also his adult looks in OoT (and now TP) is pretty much iconic.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I find it funny how almost no one is hyped for Sonic Boom. Well Big Red Button... You screwed up badly. I know I definitely won't get the Wii U version. The 3DS version I might get though.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
You never want to start the kids on Star Fox Adventures. It leads to other.... things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom