• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It is contradictory to statements that have been said in the past.

But of course people will still passionately believe it because "FAVORITE CHARACTERZZZZ".
No Impa plz! Anything but that fat old lady, I would rather have no new Zelda rep over the likes of her.

Inb4 Diddy Kong slices me in half with her nagitana. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm looking forward to a buffed Ganondorf. I want to beat the crap out of everyone as the brutal and merciless King of Evil.

Robin, Dark Pit and Olimar will be my other mains.

This is, whenever I'm not using the Random button.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Anyone want to help me out please? Requirements: be a normal, non-premium member and screenshot your browser/desktop like so, with an unobstructed drop down:

I promise you fame, women, power, or something
(I'll credit it you in the smashboards guide)

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Sonic Team needs to wake up and realize they are making a platforming game, not some huge RPG epic. Then maybe I'll give them another chance.
Funny you say that because they even made a RPG, the story was awful (and the whole game in general).

Anyway, they stop having so called "complicated" stories after 06 and I strongly disagree that Sonic Team is too busy focusing on the story; The main problem is that they have zero idea what to do with Sonic anymore. Colors and Generations were successful because they mainly stick with one gameplay style and have gimmicks that add to the experience. But they decided "lol let give the next game a NEW gameplay style" and you can see what happened with Lost World.

They keep on changing the formula with every game that you don't know what Sonic is. "is the games like a laidback platformer?" "is the games a speedy trail and error platformer?" "is the games a dark and gritty series?".

Seriously, it's ridiculous.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Inb4 Diddy Kong slices me in half with her nagitana. :troll:
:diddy:-----:diddy::diddy:----:diddy::diddy:----:diddy::diddy::diddy:----:diddy::diddy::diddy:
:diddy:-----:diddy:------:diddy:-------:diddy:----:diddy:--------:diddy:----:diddy:--------:diddy:
:diddy:-----:diddy:----------------------:diddy:----:diddy::diddy::diddy:---:diddy::diddy::diddy:
:diddy:-----:diddy:----------------------:diddy:----:diddy:---------------------:diddy:--------:diddy:
:diddy:-----:diddy:----------------------:diddy:----:diddy:---------------------:diddy:--------:diddy:

Don't you question it. :awesome:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
This. This guy knows what's up.
Also, I forgot to mention something in my rant.

Those freaking redesigns.
There's an expression. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
There is no need whatsoever to drastically redesign a character who everyone knows. The only time a redesign is ever truly needed, is when there is a whole new era of gaming on the horizon, and that character needs to be reinvented to fit in. And I don't mean a new "generation" or whatever, I mean a whole new era.

For example, Pit's update from his classic look to Brawl.
That made sense, and was necessary. If Pit kept his puny, cartoon look, he wouldn't fit into a fighting game like Brawl. So they had to make changes.

Or another example, Sonic, before Adventure 1.

When the gaming industry slowly switched from 2D to 3D, many characters' designs changed. The small characters from 2D games simply couldn't work in a large scale 3D game. Even Mario's design slowly evolved from the first game to Mario 64, though his more modern design was first prominent in Super Mario Bros 3. Along with these visual changes, many characters' personalities were also redone.
Sonic had to make the switch too. He went changed to his modern design, which makes sense.
It would be odd seeing little classic Sonic run around in a 3D world. I can't put my finger on it, but it just wouldn't work. Maybe it has to do with the jumping in 3D, but I don't know.
Even in Sonic Generations, Classic Sonic stayed to 2D, and Modern stayed to 3D, and the occasional 2D sections of a level.

Those changes made sense, as they wear needed.

But today, Sonic, a series that is doing OK, gets a visual overhaul and a reboot. Both of those things are completely unnecessary.
Unless a series is starting to fail, or hasn't had a game in a while, or fans are desperately outcrying for one, a series doesn't need an overhaul/reboot.

Mega Man, Banjo-Kazooie, any retro Nintendo game. Those are series that need a reboot.

All Sonic needs is a good game that stays true to its roots, and it will be on the right track.

Not to mention the redesigns themselves look terrible.
It's obvious that they are trying to exaggerate the character's predominant features, like Sonic's speed (sports tape), Tails' mechanical intelligence (googles, wrench), Knuckles' brute strength (steroids), and Amy's.......something (is her being a 13 year old with a crush supposed to translate into her being a slutty, underage teen?).
But it's just unnecessary. Looks shouldn't make the character. The character should make the character. Giving a character a look that perfectly matches their personality makes them more generic. Their outfit shouldn't represent who they are, they should.

It's just bleh.

Thank you all for listening to me ramble.
Please exit in the doors in the back of the theater, thank you.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd love Louie, Alph, and even Brittany as Olimar alts. I'd say Charley as well, but there's obvious hitbox conflicts there.

Then again, Bowser Jr. can apparently be any Koopaling, and they all have various size differences...

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Anyone want to help me out please? Requirements: be a normal, non-premium member and screenshot your browser/desktop like so, with an unobstructed drop down:

I promise you fame, women, power, or something
(I'll credit it you in the smashboards guide)

Okay, I'll play your little game.
Better not be a trap.

z28.png

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

There is no need whatsoever to drastically redesign a character who everyone knows. The only time a redesign is ever truly needed, is when there is a whole new era of gaming on the horizon, and that character needs to be reinvented to fit in. And I don't mean a new "generation" or whatever, I mean a whole new era.

That made sense, and was necessary. If Pit kept his puny, cartoon look, he wouldn't fit into a fighting game like Brawl. So they had to make changes.

When the gaming industry slowly switched from 2D to 3D, many characters' designs changed. The small characters from 2D games simply couldn't work in a large scale 3D game. Even Mario's design slowly evolved from the first game to Mario 64, though his more modern design was first prominent in Super Mario Bros 3. Along with these visual changes, many characters' personalities were also redone.
Sonic had to make the switch too. He went changed to his modern design, which makes sense.
It would be odd seeing little classic Sonic run around in a 3D world. I can't put my finger on it, but it just wouldn't work. Maybe it has to do with the jumping in 3D, but I don't know.
Even in Sonic Generations, Classic Sonic stayed to 2D, and Modern stayed to 3D, and the occasional 2D sections of a level.

But today, Sonic, a series that is doing OK, gets a visual overhaul and a reboot. Both of those things are completely unnecessary.
Unless a series is starting to fail, or hasn't had a game in a while, or fans are desperately outcrying for one, a series doesn't need an overhaul/reboot.

Mega Man, Banjo-Kazooie, any retro Nintendo game. Those are series that need a reboot.

All Sonic needs is a good game that stays true to its roots, and it will be on the right track.

It's obvious that they are trying to exaggerate the character's predominant features, like Sonic's speed (sports tape), Tails' mechanical intelligence (googles, wrench), Knuckles' brute strength (steroids), and Amy's.......something (is her being a 13 year old with a crush supposed to translate into her being a ****ty, underage teen?).
But it's just unnecessary. Looks shouldn't make the character. The character should make the character. Giving a character a look that perfectly matches their personality makes them more generic. Their outfit shouldn't represent who they are, they should.

It's just bleh.

Boom isn't a reboot. It's a different branch in the series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not that I don't agree with you about the Sonic Boom design changes, but...

It could have worked. I prefer his current design, but Classic Pit wouldn't have been that out of place.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Also perfect! But too slow!
Too slow??!

It's obvious that they are trying to exaggerate the character's predominant features, like Sonic's speed (sports tape), Tails' mechanical intelligence (googles, wrench), Knuckles' brute strength (steroids), and Amy's.......something (is her being a 13 year old with a crush supposed to translate into her being a ****ty, underage teen?).

It's just bleh.

I actually would like the redesigns if it wasn't for the damned sports tape.
I really just want a Sonic-Adventure styled platformer with a Classic-Modern hybrid design.

D

Deleted member

Thank you random video in the captions thread for providing me with the only Ridley joke I'll ever find funny.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Oh, a new thread. Cool beans.

It could have worked. I prefer his current design, but Classic Pit wouldn't have been that out of place.
What is that model from? P:M?

Pit looks so cute- please be official to Smash 4

D

Deleted member

Oh, a new thread. Cool beans.

What is that model from? P:M?

Pit looks so cute- please be official to Smash 4
It's going to be an alternate costume in PM 3.5. Which is great, because I've wanted someone to make a Classic Pit skin for a while now so that I could give Pit an actual alternate costume in my build of Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm looking forward to a buffed Ganondorf. I want to beat the crap out of everyone as the brutal and merciless King of Evil.

Robin, Dark Pit and Olimar will be my other mains.

This is, whenever I'm not using the Random button.
Regarding to Ganondorf, but I do still question whether or not the speed increase will be enough, or Ganondorf does desperately need a overhaul. I suppose we'll know shortly.

Also, I want to beat up people with the other King of Evil.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Incredibly ginormous post.
Actually, Classic Sonic works just fine in a 3D environment, as people have hacked Generations to do such a thing (and there's even a spot in the game where you can glitch him outside of his 2D boundaries and have him run about in any direction).

Didn't really have much to do with your whole post, but eh.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I want Sonic to officially look like this:

Maybe with green eyes.
Everything else though, 100% the same as this.

Also, a game that plays like Sonic Adventure, but you only play as Sonic w/ Tails and there are no glitches.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really hope Ganon is buffed a fair bit. He needs it the most out of the Brawl characters. But I don't want to get my hopes up.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Maybe with green eyes.

Also, a game that plays like Sonic Adventure, but you only play as Sonic w/ Tails and there are no glitches.
...I-Is that an official render?
Why wasn't THAT Sonic is Smash?
They did it with Mega and Pac men...
Gosh dangit Sakurai, now I'm very slightly disappointed.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't even care about Sonic games anymore, I just want Sega to make a game that's solely the Chao Garden.

Seriously, do they not realize the ridiculous amount of easy money there is to be made there?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Maybe with green eyes.

Yeah, that does look good. Though I wouldn't mind playing as Knuckles again. He's like the only Sonic character I liked all that much.

I don't even care about Sonic games anymore, I just want Sega to make a game that's solely the Chao Garden.

Seriously, do they not realize the ridiculous amount of easy money there is to be made there?
I don't know. Maybe if it's exclusive to Sony or MS. Because on a Nintendo system, they'd likely be seen as competition to Pokemon.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

Maybe with green eyes.

I preffer the design introduced in Adventure, but this looks good, I would be ok with this.

Speaking of Sanik, you think he's gonna have any alt. costumes? That fake Metal Sonic Skin video from a bit back kinda made me want him to have something.

D

Deleted member

I agree that it wouldn't have been that out of place considering the Ice Climbers got a similar treatment AND Pit had that one design in Melee's trophy of him, though Pit was specifically designed in Brawl as if he had the same level of design evolution as Link did.
It only looks drastic because whereas Link was more like (sorry for Pokémon comparison) a gradual evolution of a Bulbasaur to Ivysaur to Venusaur to Mega Venusaur, Pit was more like a Charmander suddenly becoming Mega Charizard Y and bypassing the other stages.

I'm going to be honest and say I much prefer the end result; seeing "8-Bit Pit" use a double-bladed bow that can split into two smaller blades would seem quite jarring as compared to a "modernized" redesign pulling it off.

EDIT: Maybe Y would be a more apt example than X.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
I agree that it wouldn't have been that out of place considering the Ice Climbers got a similar treatment AND Pit had that one design in Melee's trophy of him, though Pit was specifically designed in Brawl as if he had the same level of design evolution as Link did.
It only looks drastic because whereas Link was more like (sorry for Pokémon comparison) a gradual evolution of a Bulbasaur to Ivysaur to Venusaur to Mega Venusaur, Pit was more like a Charmander suddenly becoming Mega Charizard Y and bypassing the other stages.

I'm going to be honest and say I much prefer the end result; seeing "8-Bit Pit" use a double-bladed bow that can split into two smaller blades would seem quite jarring as compared to a "modernized" redesign pulling it off.

EDIT: Maybe Y would be a more apt example than X.
And it would look even more out of place in Uprising.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
...I-Is that an official render?
Why wasn't THAT Sonic is Smash?
They did it with Mega and Pac men...
Gosh dangit Sakurai, now I'm very slightly disappointed.
Same reason why Snake was his ugly MGS2-self instead of the much more popular MGS1 design. Because Sakurai can be evil when he wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom