• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
after playing Smash 4 for a week and then looking at pictures of Brawl, I see how icky brawls textures look
It's the sign of progress!

It's only natural that previous games will look worse compared to the most recent entry.

I remember being awestruck by Brawl's graphics at the time. They felt like a progression from Melee, but with Smash 4 out, one can see they've aged.

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Since they closed my topic because... Well, because mods are a bunch of butthurt fanboys I guess? I decided to explain in detail why this game is the perfect example to explain why "Quality > Quantity".
Lemme start by saying that the basic gameplay of this game is sheer perfection. Multiplayer is the funniest thing produced this year and ****s even on Mario Kart 8. If you have a friend or two, or enjoy playing online, this game is virtually immortal till the next Smash Bros. comes out. Simply perfect.
The rest of the game though, is pure, absolute, disgusting ****. Nothing works when you're playing alone, and I'll break the game down for all of you.

- Returning modes (Classic, All-Star, Home Run Contest, Multi Man Melee). They're the same boring **** they always were. I still have to understand the reason to have them in the game except Classic. All-Star is the definition of boredom and repetitiveness. Classic tries to do something different but no, it's boring. Like it always was. The problem is, you have to play them at least 102 times in total to collect the unlockables. The game literally forces you to play them.
- Stage Editor. Yeah it's returning but goddamn this **** deserves a spot on his own. Yeah it has a big effect when it's first shown to you right? Then you try it and realize it's even more limited than the Brawl one was. Not only the GamePad is un-responsive while drawing the stage, you have like 3 hazards you can put there, and five backgrounds. FIVE. Pathetic. It's nice to see the recreation of all those retro stages. They still look like **** and I'll never play Gamexplain's Hyrule Castle instead of an actual stage of the game, sorry.
- Smash Tour. It's an absolute mess. It is legitimately laughable. You can tell Sakurai developed this in like a month or two maybe. It's not even fun honestly, and has zero strategy to it. It's just a flashy thing that seemed good on the Direct like the Stage Builder, but revealed itself as a boring, uninspired cluster****. Oh and it has 3 boards. THREE. ayy lmao
- Event Mode. Probably the best one out of all this, but still... The potential it missed is incredible. I created a topic with event modes which are legitimately more interesting than any of the official ones here. But at least they're kind of functional. A couple of them have a difficulty spike which is only frustrating but well, it's decent.
- Target Blast. **** this Angry Birds rip-off Jesus Christ
- Challenges. Apparently, Sakurai's idea of "fun" and "challenging" equals to "frustrating" and "broken". Get a score between 500 and 505 metres in Home Run Contest: yeah that's an half hour wasted which I'll never get back. Get 8 kills in cruel mode with Lucina: literally the only way to do this is to cheat. You can literally tell that Sakurai didn't actually try to do that challenge in a legit way because it's impossible. The reason challenges exist is not to give the player rewarding, fun experiences with the game, but to force completionists to put themselves through every single ****ty mode in the game. I understand that Sakurai hates Smash Bros. fanboys but this is too much.
- Master Order and Crazy Order: the only new mode that I think it's pretty good. Too bad for the challenges related to them which have crazy requirements to complete (get to Turn 20? Are you for ****ing real?).

The grinding in the game is out-right anti-consumer. Yep it is. That's not how you make a game lengthy, Sakurai. Especially when I just did that like two months ago on 3DS and I can't transfer it all on WiiU. But I guess I'm just lazy, right?

Honestly if the game was only the multiplayer part, it would be a strong 10/10 for me. But you have to judge the whole package, and the whole package it's massive, but full of ****. You have to dig with your own hands in a mountain of **** to get to the gold. Throwing stuff, modes and content into a game doesn't make it better. It just makes it bigger. And Smash Bros. 4 is a pot of gold drowned in a steaming pile of diarrhea. You have no idea how much it hurts for me to admit this. It was literally the most anticipated media related thing this year for me. And it's disappointing as hell. It makes me want Subspace Emissary back. YES, SUBSPACE EMISSARY WAS BETTER THAN ALL THIS CRAP. At least it was kind of fun.

At this point I just hope the next Smash Bros. is made by a wiser person. It is, maybe, time for Sakurai to step down. The game transpires his own frustration while developing it on the players' heads. He is a great developer but he lost the right direction. The original Smash Bros.: a bunch of characters, a bunch of stages, a couple of well developed modes, and that's it. But I already know that Smash Bros. 5, when it'll come out in 2020 on the next system, will still have the same achievement to unlock related to Home Run Contest, the same boring stuff that the franchise keeps alive since 2001.
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4greninja::4robinm::4villager::4pacman::4littlemac::4megaman::4lucina::4mii::4palutena::rosalina::4wiifit::4darkpit:and most importantly:4shulk: playable=10/10 would spend £40 of my money on. And that includes the 3DS version, at a not too steep price of £30 day one. I'm looking forward to getting the Wii U version this Christmas, and even as a predominately single player gamer I'm not too worried about most of your complaints. I spent 400+ hours on Brawl and that had none of those characters, worse classic, event and all-star modes, rubbish online and I only played through the SSE once fully, I'll probably end up spending more time on Smash Tour. But yeah I could go on, but :4shulk:=10/10 and that's it really.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
after playing Smash 4 for a week and then looking at pictures of Brawl, I see how icky brawls textures look
When I played Brawl back in 2011-2013 I thought that Zelda was really well made and pretty...but now it looks awful compared to Smash 4 Zelda (those beautiful eyes and facial expressions)

On other stuff, I just replayed for the 30th time the Zinnia's Battle theme on Youtube...that's normal, right?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
One of these days I'll get an Amiibo, but as of right now it wouldn't be that much of a use to me (that is, until the New 3DS is out).
And if anything I want to wait till the second wave so I can get Luigi.

D

Deleted member

It's the sign of progress!

It's only natural that previous games will look worse compared to the most recent entry.

I remember being awestruck by Brawl's graphics at the time. They felt like a progression from Melee, but with Smash 4 out, one can see they've aged.
Maybe Brawl went with realistic graphics / textures to differentiate it from Melee, which was simpler on terms of graphics and all that? That's what I think.
I heard realistic games don't age well. Is that true or something? :troll:

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Lol just as I post a couple of hours ago about me watching Egoraptor's Zelda Sequelitis for the first time, where he s**** on Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, PeanutButterGamer releases his last Zelda Month video where he praises it. It was a good watch, they focused mainly on the story, which is one of its strong points, but being the controversial game that it is you'd need nearly an hour to cover everything about it. Although in a word, I'd call it a classic.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Lol just as I post a couple of hours ago about me watching Egoraptor's Zelda Sequelitis for the first time, where he s**** on Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, PeanutButterGamer releases his last Zelda Month video where he praises it. It was a good watch, they focused mainly on the story, which is one of its strong points, but being the controversial game that it is you'd need nearly an hour to cover everything about it. Although in a word, I'd call it a classic.
PBG released his next Zelda month video? Awesome!

Imma go watch it now. :p

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Reminds me of comparing Brawl Pit to the new Pit. Despite how I prefer Brawl Pit's style and defenses, the new Pit looks so much more amazing, especially with his new expressions, and his side locks move around now, not to mention that fur on his sandals being so amazing along with his wings. You gotta love it.

SharpMcHappy

Smash Apprentice
- Returning modes (Classic, All-Star, Home Run Contest, Multi Man Melee). They're the same boring **** they always were. I still have to understand the reason to have them in the game except Classic. All-Star is the definition of boredom and repetitiveness. Classic tries to do something different but no, it's boring. Like it always was. The problem is, you have to play them at least 102 times in total to collect the unlockables. The game literally forces you to play them.
- Stage Editor. Yeah it's returning but goddamn this **** deserves a spot on his own. Yeah it has a big effect when it's first shown to you right? Then you try it and realize it's even more limited than the Brawl one was. Not only the GamePad is un-responsive while drawing the stage, you have like 3 hazards you can put there, and five backgrounds. FIVE. Pathetic. It's nice to see the recreation of all those retro stages. They still look like **** and I'll never play Gamexplain's Hyrule Castle instead of an actual stage of the game, sorry.
- Smash Tour. It's an absolute mess. It is legitimately laughable. You can tell Sakurai developed this in like a month or two maybe. It's not even fun honestly, and has zero strategy to it. It's just a flashy thing that seemed good on the Direct like the Stage Builder, but revealed itself as a boring, uninspired cluster****. Oh and it has 3 boards. THREE. ayy lmao
- Event Mode. Probably the best one out of all this, but still... The potential it missed is incredible. I created a topic with event modes which are legitimately more interesting than any of the official ones here. But at least they're kind of functional. A couple of them have a difficulty spike which is only frustrating but well, it's decent.
- Target Blast. **** this Angry Birds rip-off Jesus Christ
- Challenges. Apparently, Sakurai's idea of "fun" and "challenging" equals to "frustrating" and "broken". Get a score between 500 and 505 metres in Home Run Contest: yeah that's an half hour wasted which I'll never get back. Get 8 kills in cruel mode with Lucina: literally the only way to do this is to cheat. You can literally tell that Sakurai didn't actually try to do that challenge in a legit way because it's impossible. The reason challenges exist is not to give the player rewarding, fun experiences with the game, but to force completionists to put themselves through every single ****ty mode in the game. I understand that Sakurai hates Smash Bros. fanboys but this is too much.
- Master Order and Crazy Order: the only new mode that I think it's pretty good. Too bad for the challenges related to them which have crazy requirements to complete (get to Turn 20? Are you for ****ing real?).
I have to disagree with most of your opinions here. I mean I know this is just your opinion, but some of these points you make are pretty faulty.

-Returning modes: I seriously do not find the problems you're having here. Classic was fine, nothing outstanding and not as good as the 3DS version but it was honestly a lot of fun. All-Star is fun too, maybe a bit easy but I've enjoyed it ever since I played it in Melee. Home run contest isn't anything special but Multi Man Melee is a blast. I can play it for hours and I'm one of the few that appreciates that they changed the wireframes to miis(although a switch would've been nice.) Overall these are pretty fun for what they are. Idk what your expectations were but I certainly still have fun playing these from time to time.

-Stage editor: Okay what. This was like, one of the best things to do in the game. Maybe it's because I'm an artist and enjoys drawing, but making stages with the gamepad was insanely fun and you could get quite creative with it. I liked Brawl's Stage Builder too, but not nearly as much as this one. It really didn't need too much since the drawing function just made it. I've made tons and tons of stages and I will never understand why you hate this so much.

-Smash Tour: Alright, I can't blame ya on this one. Smash Tour was BS.

-Event mode: Yeah, Event mode is up there as one of the best modes. It could've done more but honestly, I do not see why you're disappointed. It beats Melee's and Brawl's Event mode by a mile IMO.

-Challenges: Are you serious right now? Alright, let me tell you a secret. Challenges are optional. Knew that? Alright, why are you complaining then? The challenges aren't there for you to casually plow through, they're there to make the player go the extra mile if he really wants to beat the game. Most completionists I know complete a game because they want to have that extra challenge, but I guess I don't really know since I'm not a completionist myself. I do enjoy the challenges though as they pop up every once in a while to say "hey, you just did that! good job.".

-Master and Crazy orders: Haven't tried these out yet, but they seem pretty sweet. Don't have much else to say about it.

I don't know what your deal is, but I think Sakurai did a spectacular job with this game, definitely my favorite of the bunch. The only thing I could really say about him is that he should accept the competitive scene a bit more than he is, but otherwise he is incredible at making these games and I hope he doesn't step down for quite a while. You might be saying that I'm fanboying, which I probably am, but this is my very honest opinion and I do respect that you can speak up that you dislike the game. I just do not feel the same way.

Last edited:

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
So in this video, replace "Turbo Man" with "Wii U Gamecube Adapter" and "Booster" with "Wii U Pro Controller".

Also, tvtropes? Love that site. Glad it's not just me who will get easily sucked in and spend an hour or two just reading through.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
You've been warned, but please, embrace it. Your newly enlightened life.
It's actually a pretty glorious experience.

"ahem"

In all seriousness though, the site covers so many things that the site's very name describes.

Knowing myself I'm surprised I didn't get into it at all before today.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Probably the only character in Smash 4 that I don't think looks better compared to their Brawl selves is Sonic. I honestly really don't like how his model looks in Smash 4. It's so...off. It's like the design can't decide if it's 2D or 3D in some spots like his mouth. And he looks like he's made of Play-Doh.

That's just what I think, though.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You can't be not a ninja if you're a ninja.

I thought the point of being a Ninja was that nobody knows you're a Ninja.
Well then he fails as a ninja, since everybody knows.
Tell that to Ryu Hayabusa, Ezio Auditore & the other Assassins; Solid Snake, Raiden, Big Boss, Sam Fisher, Hotsuma, the TMNT, Batman, Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, and... pretty much any other spy, ninja, assassin, sneaky-sneaky sneaker out there. THEY WILL GUT YOU. :p

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Tell that to Ryu Hayabusa, Ezio Auditore & the other Assassins; Solid Snake, Raiden, Big Boss, Sam Fisher, Hotsuma, the TMNT, Batman, Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, and... pretty much any other spy, ninja, assassin, sneaky-sneaky sneaker out there. THEY WILL GUT YOU. :p
I hate that show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom