• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just noticed in the Duck Hunt trailer, there is a message that says "Game not compatible with the Zapper"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I noticed that right away; it was kind of funny they actually felt the need to do a disclaimer like that.
I thought it was more in jest than anything.

It's not like they even make Zappers anymore. They wouldn't even work on new TVs anyway.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought it was more in jest than anything.

It's not like they even make Zappers anymore. They wouldn't even work on new TVs anyway.
I used to have faith in humanity

Until I got the job I have now

and realize people really ARE that stupid

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So Duck Hunt is a stage hazard in the course based upon the series, just in 8-bit. Huh. Take that "can't be a stage hazard and playable at the same time" people. You got proven wrong.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: LOL I got it backwards

IDK why I thought the Dragon was in Shantae GBC

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Now that we've all talked about how awesome the Nintendo Direct was....

Was anyone disappointed or hoping to see something else shown in the Direct?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Those lying German's about Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze DLC

Edit:

Why does Europe get all the cool special editions?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Speaking of the special edition, the Australian Nintendo direct site states it is coming here as well, yet I can't see any listings for it on any sights, nor can I find a news article mentioning an Australian release.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Wow you people still have EB games

All the EB games became Gamestop here
Well they are owned by and run under Gamestop. Just we never had Gamestop stores, so it was probably easier to keep them as EB Games.

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
Now all the character trailers are over what will be the trailer that end it before release?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So Duck Hunt is a stage hazard in the course based upon the series, just in 8-bit. Huh. Take that "can't be a stage hazard and playable at the same time" people. You got proven wrong.
Still highly doubt Ridley will be playable.

Seems that playable and hazard dual roles seem to only happen on 8-bit stages.

I mean, supposedly Arcade Donkey Kong and DKC Donkey Kong are different entities, yet, in Smash, DK is considered as debuting in the arcade game and also appears as 8-bit DK from the arcade game on the Duck Hunt Duo trailer (alongside 8-bit Mario, Link, Samus, Pit and Bowser) before the 8-bit-to-3D switch, where characters are updated to the 3D look.

If you want to get even more technical, 8-bit Link =/= TP Link, yet 8-bit Link turns into TP Link in the trailer. The only characters that are "the same", considering canon, are Mario, Samus, Pit and Bowser.

Both Link and Toon Link replace Spirit Tracks Link on the Spirit Train stage, even though canonically they are 3 different entities. They are treated as the same character, thus being composite versions. Same seems to be going for Donkey Kong and, guess it, Ridley.

The logic seems pretty much "regardless of incarnation/design, they're still <character>."

There are lots of Links in the Zelda series, but they're still Link. There's arcade DK and modern DK, but they're still DK. There's Ridley and Other M Ridley, but they're still Ridley. See my point?

Seems like both Donkey Kong (on 75 m) and the dog (on the Duck Hunt stage) are the only exceptions when it comes to dual roles. They both also happen to be on 8-bit stages that fully recreate the original games, with every element intact. Coincidence? I think not.

Take Riki from Xenoblade who appears both as part of Shulk's Final Smash and as an Assist Trophy. The game is made in a way that you can't have assist characters (ATs and Poké Balls) and Smash Balls on play at the same time. You can try this on training mode.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I mean, supposedly Arcade Donkey Kong and DKC Donkey Kong are different entities, yet, in Smash, DK is considered as debuting in the arcade game and also appears as 8-bit DK from the arcade game on the Duck Hunt Duo trailer (alongside 8-bit Mario, Link, Samus, Pit and Bowser) before the 8-bit-to-3D switch, where characters are updated to the 3D look.

If you want to get even more technical, 8-bit Link =/= TP Link, yet 8-bit Link turns into TP Link in the trailer. The only characters that are "the same", considering canon, are Mario, Samus, Pit and Bowser.

Both Link and Toon Link replace Spirit Tracks Link on the Spirit Train stage, even though canonically they are 3 different entities. They are treated as the same character, thus being composite versions. Same seems to be going for Donkey Kong and, guess it, Ridley.

The logic seems pretty much "regardless of incarnation/design, they're still <character>."

There are lots of Links in the Zelda series, but they're still Link. There's arcade DK and modern DK, but they're still DK. There's Ridley and Other M Ridley, but they're still Ridley. See my point?

Seems like both Donkey Kong (on 75 m) and the dog (on the Duck Hunt stage) are the only exceptions when it comes to dual roles. They both also happen to be on 8-bit stages that fully recreate the original games, with every element intact. Coincidence? I think not.

Take Riki from Xenoblade who appears both as part of Shulk's Final Smash and as an Assist Trophy. The game is made in a way that you can't have assist characters (ATs and Poké Balls) and Smash Balls on play at the same time. You can try this on training mode.
So we need 8-bit Ridley?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Oh, I'm not saying that Ridley will be playable at all. Just saying it's no longer a legit argument at this point. Being 8-bit hardly changes the fact that a character can be a stage hazard and playable. Nothing more.

Also, to be fair, Toon Link is pretty clearly a design and not a specific Link. Conductor Link is just another Toon Link version. I'm only annoyed we didn't get a costume for him. If you're going to remove him from the field, why not give that costume to Toon Link too? It's not like you had to remove him when telling them apart was fairly easy.

Regardless, this means Ridley DLC is not nearly as impossible as we previously thought. I find it doubtful, but for a different reason; Sakurai made Ridley near identical to a playable character. So why isn't he playable? Probably because he couldn't get the idea he wanted for a playable version right. So he went with this instead.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh, I'm not saying that Ridley will be playable at all. Just saying it's no longer a legit argument at this point. Being 8-bit hardly changes the fact that a character can be a stage hazard and playable. Nothing more.

Also, to be fair, Toon Link is pretty clearly a design and not a specific Link. Conductor Link is just another Toon Link version. I'm only annoyed we didn't get a costume for him. If you're going to remove him from the field, why not give that costume to Toon Link too? It's not like you had to remove him when telling them apart was fairly easy.

Regardless, this means Ridley DLC is not nearly as impossible as we previously thought. I find it doubtful, but for a different reason; Sakurai made Ridley near identical to a playable character. So why isn't he playable? Probably because he couldn't get the idea he wanted for a playable version right. So he went with this instead.
I don't know if Toon Link is meant to be a design and not a specific Link. His trophy description in Brawl seems to imply it is the Link from WW and PH. SSB4's trophy description on the other hand makes it seem like this is just a character design.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't know if Toon Link is meant to be a design and not a specific Link. His trophy description in Brawl seems to imply it is the Link from WW and PH. SSB4's trophy description on the other hand makes it seem like this is just a character design.
ST wasn't out during Brawl. Four Swords stuff was, which still uses the same character design. The term Toon is solely created for Smash as well. Toon Link does not exist in WW, just Link. It's always been that way. Toon Link is already named after an art style, and he clearly incorporates his four swords costumes(including Dark Link, although using a design more like TP Link's version, probably for some consistency, since traditionally, every child Link clone must be very similar to the adult version of Link in Smash. As Sakurai more or less puts it. He says moveset-wise, but most of the costumes fit too. Toon Link does have a new costume similar to classic Young Link's design, while Link gets a Fierce Deity coloring).

Smash 3DS just is far more clear that it was always a design choice. Brawl poorly worded it. It's pretty hard to argue when they say "few games" that Toon Link isn't a style for multiple games. It's blatant now. The thing is, that's a minimum of 3 games besides WW. Since PH is the same Link, and ST uses the same character design, that just leaves the Four Swords series and Minish Cap specifically. He probably could've been more specific, since there's quite a few FS games anyway.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Still, that doesn't explain Toon Link and Spirit Tracks.

I find it too much of a coincidence that the only instances where a character is both a stage element and playable are on 8-bit stages that fully recreate retro games. Yet you have Toon Link replaced by Alfonzo whenever any Link is on play.

Why is it that the game takes great lengths to replace and avoid two of the same character (more than one playable character notwithstanding), except for the 8-bit stages? I find it hard to believe to be a coincidence. Why are 8-bit characters an exception to an overall consistency?

Before someone plays the "lol Sakurai logic/contradictions/blah blah blah", let me tell you that Sakurai's decisions have logic behind them. Just because people don't make the effort to understand it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That's exactly my point!

Ridley on Pyrosphere is being treated as a design, not a different character. The announcer even treated him as "Samus's arch-enemy", even though Other M Ridley isn't her nemesis but an identical clone.

Ridley is so not going to happen. Anyone who still thinks that is distancing themselves from reality.

He already has a large, well-defined role. He's on the same boat as Chrom.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I find it too much of a coincidence that the only instances where a character is both a stage element and playable are on 8-bit stages that fully recreate retro games. Yet you have Toon Link replaced by Alfonzo whenever any Link is on play.

Why is it that the game takes great lengths to replace and avoid two of the same character (more than one playable character notwithstanding), except for the 8-bit stages? I find it hard to believe to be a coincidence. Why are 8-bit characters an exception to an overall consistency?

Before someone plays the "lol Sakurai logic/contradictions/blah blah blah", let me tell you that Sakurai's decisions have logic behind them. Just because people don't make the effort to understand it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
It's probably because of the models VS sprites. Doesn't explain the lack of a costume though. Sure, two Toon Links. So why replace him when regular Link appears. As for the retro one, it's just simply not a consistency issue at this point. It's far harder to tell two models that look like Link(could be a composite thing too) apart than a sprite and a full model. In fact, maybe that's the reason alone. Also, Donkey Kong isn't a great example as he's Cranky Kong anyway according to DKC. While each Link is still, well, Link, DK and Cranky are very different people instead of often reincarnations.

That's exactly my point!

Ridley on Pyrosphere is being treated as a design, not a different character. The announcer even treated him as "Samus's arch-enemy", even though Other M Ridley isn't her nemesis but an identical clone.
Ah, that's a good point. It seems to combine different artworks. Not sure why though. Sakurai probably didn't know what to do with him. Probably some random decisions during development. I do buy he intended to make him playable but couldn't work it out, which explains why he's almost identical to a playable character(with all the ground work done), but still isn't one.

Ridley is so not going to happen. Anyone who still thinks that is distancing themselves from reality.

Nah, keeping him on the unlikely scale. Namely because there is one Chrom but more than one Ridley. It could go either way, but being well-defined as "almost playable" only further makes it possible for a promotion via DLC. I'm not going to count on it at this point, nor is there a good reason to.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
ST wasn't out during Brawl. Four Swords stuff was, which still uses the same character design. The term Toon is solely created for Smash as well. Toon Link does not exist in WW, just Link. It's always been that way. Toon Link is already named after an art style, and he clearly incorporates his four swords costumes(including Dark Link, although using a design more like TP Link's version, probably for some consistency, since traditionally, every child Link clone must be very similar to the adult version of Link in Smash. As Sakurai more or less puts it. He says moveset-wise, but most of the costumes fit too. Toon Link does have a new costume similar to classic Young Link's design, while Link gets a Fierce Deity coloring).

Smash 3DS just is far more clear that it was always a design choice. Brawl poorly worded it. It's pretty hard to argue when they say "few games" that Toon Link isn't a style for multiple games. It's blatant now. The thing is, that's a minimum of 3 games besides WW. Since PH is the same Link, and ST uses the same character design, that just leaves the Four Swords series and Minish Cap specifically. He probably could've been more specific, since there's quite a few FS games anyway.
What led me to believe that Toon Link was the specific WW Link was the Brawl trophy specifically referred to WW and PH, but made no mention of the Four Swords games and the description was of what occured in Wind waker, what Link did in Wind Waker, essentially who Link was in Wind Waker.

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie

That's exactly my point!

Well that would make sense about ridley

But seeings your still using the ridleys to big, your validity goes out the window cause your just another hater.

Anything and everything in this game can be represented twice in 8 bit form, in different sizes etc.

I'm not saying his going to be playable but you pessimism and non open mindedness just makes me laugh as we have been proven more and more anything is possible

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

Well, theres also a thing of him outright using a Master Sword and a Wind Waker (as well as most WW item designs, like the hookshot) which are pretty specific to a single game, while having nothing from the others besides the design (which originates from Wind Waker anyway). I think its overthinking things, he pretty clearly is WW Link. And the fact he is called Toon Link is because... well, he is a Link in Toon form, and calling him after his game would have been ackward. I mean ST Link has his own trophy and is acknowledged as a separate entity, which would only leave us with Four Swords Series, which dont really have any representation besides colours, which is vague anyway since Link has those too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What led me to believe that Toon Link was the specific WW Link was the Brawl trophy specifically referred to WW and PH, but made no mention of the Four Swords games and the description was of what occured in Wind waker, what Link did in Wind Waker, essentially who Link was in Wind Waker.
Yet "as he appeared in" is a wording that's vague enough to refer to a design. Which is further confirmed to be the case in Smash 3DS as is. Keep in mind WW and PH are his last appearances. Yes, his abilities were taken from WW, his first appearance. Just like Link now has his TP abilities. The characters' abilities tend to be taken from their specific design appearance, but it doesn't mean they're only meant to be from that game. There are exceptions, like with Mr. Game & Watch, who is a composite of every Game & Watch game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well that would make sense about ridley

But seeings your still using the ridleys to big, your validity goes out the window cause your just another hater.

Anything and everything in this game can be represented twice in 8 bit form, in different sizes etc.

I'm not saying his going to be playable but you pessimism and non open mindedness just makes me laugh as we have been proven more and more anything is possible
Umm....

He didn't use the "Too Big" argument at all.

Heck Frost has argued against that notion numerous times.

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
Umm....

He didn't use the "Too Big" argument at all.

Heck Frost has argued against that notion numerous times.
Well that's my interpretation of and I quote

"large, well defined roll."

Hence my response, this could merely be misinterpreted.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well that's my interpretation of and I quote

"large, well defined roll."

Hence my response, this could merely be misinterpreted.
He means "Large" in context to the role.

Not Ridley's size in general...

Yeah, I'm baffled you misinterpreted that.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Yet "as he appeared in" is a wording that's vague enough to refer to a design. Which is further confirmed to be the case in Smash 3DS as is. Keep in mind WW and PH are his last appearances. Yes, his abilities were taken from WW, his first appearance.
Well, to be fair, Nintendo likes to refer to theyr characters as it they ware the exact same person every game (Link's whole new adventure!, Toad's new adventure!, even though its probably a new "Link" or "Toad" anyways).

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yet "as he appeared in" is a wording that's vague enough to refer to a design. Which is further confirmed to be the case in Smash 3DS as is. Keep in mind WW and PH are his last appearances. Yes, his abilities were taken from WW, his first appearance. Just like Link now has his TP abilities. The characters' abilities tend to be taken from their specific design appearance, but it doesn't mean they're only meant to be from that game. There are exceptions, like with Mr. Game & Watch, who is a composite of every Game & Watch game.
'As he appeared' in could also be argued that it is referring to the Spirit of the Hero being reincarnated as Toon Link. That is assuming Link is some kind of transcending character and not just seperate entities each possessing the spirit of the hero.
Ultimately though I tend to lean towards him specifically being WW Link in at least Brawl. The description uses 'he' instead of something like 'the Link in WW', which to me implied the Link they were describing and the Toon Link playable in Brawl are one and the same.

Last edited:

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
He means "Large" in context to the role.

Not Ridley's size in general...

Yeah, I'm baffled you misinterpreted that.
The amount of people that endlessly mock using "to big " in new clever ways, has made me sit in defence mode Haha

My apologies for that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
'As he appeared' in could also be argued that it is referring to the Spirit of the Hero being reincarnated as Toon Link. That is assuming Link is some kind of transcending character and not just seperate entities each possessing the spirit of the hero.
Ultimately though I tend to lean towards him specifically being WW Link in at least Brawl. The description uses 'he' instead of something like 'the Link in WW', which to me implied the Link they were describing and the Toon Link playable in Brawl are one and the same.
Doesn't much matter either way. It's pretty clear now that he's talking about his design and nothing more. But Brawl didn't have the best descriptions for Trophies anyway. Now the translators are far better.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
By the way...

What was the music in the :4duckhunt: trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom