• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social 6.0 - 『ONE YEAR OF SOCIAL 6.0!』

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Xenoblade Chronicles was a shallow mishmash of cliches and weird plot devices yet weeaboos praise it constantly. I'm surprised to hear that X has mixed reviews considering how the first game set the bar so low. Maybe fans of the first game were too distracted by the rounded British voice over cast to notice that they actually say "Monado" over two thousand times by the end of the first act. Maybe the second game doesn't have something as superficial as a cool accent to distract its demographic from the game's flaws.
Trolling huh?

ShadowPho3nix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pho3nixWizard
3DS FC
2105-9806-7393
Trolling huh?
Pretty obviously too.

I'm not sure how coming out on Wii U will really affect the chances of Steve getting in, or how it'll help Sakurai make a better moveset.
Yeah, I don't know why people think Steve will be in Smash just because of his Wii U release. Plus, Microsoft owns him now, so Nintendo can have fun talking with them about licensing and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furret24

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't know why people think Steve will be in Smash just because of his Wii U release. Plus, Microsoft owns him now, so Nintendo can have fun talking with them about licensing and whatnot.
Nice double post you got here.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
$30? Is that more or less than what it's been going for on other consoles? I could have sworn I paid $15 to get it on my computer back in 2011 (albeit it barely runs).

That's more or less how things tend to go. People are just desperate to talk about something. lol

ex. Shovel Knight amiibo = Playable in Smash?

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
Heyyyyy good morning everybody! How goes it this time around? Today in particular is gonna be pretty chill, this week though, still gonna be a bit challenging nearing the end of the school term. Nothing impossible tho!

Furret24

Smash Master
Heyyyyy good morning everybody! How goes it this time around? Today in particular is gonna be pretty chill, this week though, still gonna be a bit challenging nearing the end of the school term. Nothing impossible tho!
This week's been slow and easy so far, which is nice since I've only gotten about five hours of sleep these last two days.

Next week (Finals week for me) is going to be a pain though. I'm pretty stressed about it, but I'm trying to keep my cool, since I don't do well under pressure.

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I'm not sure how coming out on Wii U will really affect the chances of Steve getting in, or how it'll help Sakurai make a better moveset.

We talkin Fallout 4? Cause I love Fallout 4. Just started doing a few quests for the Institute.
So who are you going to join for the ending?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My semester exams started today.I hope I'll escape unscathed. :p

Good luck to you too.

:231:

Bluehaven

Smash Lurker
3DS FC
1177-9167-4164
I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't started finals yet. I start next week and I'm confident I can get a good grade on them it's just fricking math and chemistry that gives me trouble. But mostly math.:awesome:
Thank goodness for there being tutors at school.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't started finals yet. I start next week and I'm confident I can get a good grade on them it's just fricking math and chemistry that gives me trouble. But mostly math.:awesome:
You're not the only one. My semester exams start next month. This week and next week are classes, then a vacation of two weeks (christmas vacation). After that the final week of classes start before my exams start.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wish my teachers were that good that I didn't have to understand everything myself. Though my textbooks are good enough usually.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I don't have final exams until January, myself.

Also, anybody who says this makes Steve a shoe-in for Smash is grasping for straws. Just because someone has a WiiU game doesn't make them a lock for Smash; and even if it did, there's certainly characters a lot more recognized to the public than Steve that would be higher on the food chain. And if we even got any Minecraft content in Smash, it'd be a stage and music, not a full character. It's not notable enough for Nintendo's history to be given a full character.

Let's look at why the other third-party franchises got characters and compare it to Steve;
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - Was the arch-nemesis and sole competitor of Mario during the 1990's, and the rivalry they had was legendary; it was almost inevitable that he'd get into Smash at some point. Defined the high-speed platformer.
  • Solid Snake - Redefined the stealth action genre and pioneered all stealth games that followed it. Created by one of Sakurai's close friends. Added to Brawl by Sakurai primarily so Kojima could see his creation in Smash.
  • Mega Man - One of the NES' most iconic characters outside of Mario, and practically defined the run-and-gun platformer style.
  • Pac-Man - Dude's more famous than Mario. That alone makes him a pretty required pick.
  • Ryu - One of the most iconic fighting game characters ever made.
  • Cloud - Started the JRPG trend towards epic plots and deep characters that continues to this day, and one of the most popular RPG protagonists ever created.

• Steve - One breakout game that, while insanely popular, does not really contribute something groundbreaking to the industry besides massive sales figures. Also has very little in terms of Nintendo relevance.
Yeah, compared to them, Steve's not much but a jobber. Yes, he's big, but the dude's certainly not as unanimously well-known as Mario or Pac-Man.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It feels so weird right now seeing people talking about finals having graduated earlier this year myself. goodlucktoeveryoneinthejobhunt

:halfsheep:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

Also, anybody who says this makes Steve a shoe-in for Smash is grasping for straws. Just because someone has a WiiU game doesn't make them a lock for Smash; and even if it did, there's certainly characters a lot more recognized to the public than Steve that would be higher on the food chain. And if we even got any Minecraft content in Smash, it'd be a stage and music, not a full character. It's not notable enough for Nintendo's history to be given a full character.

Let's look at why the other third-party franchises got characters and compare it to Steve;
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - Was the arch-nemesis and sole competitor of Mario during the 1990's, and the rivalry they had was legendary; it was almost inevitable that he'd get into Smash at some point. Defined the high-speed platformer.
  • Solid Snake - Redefined the stealth action genre and pioneered all stealth games that followed it. Created by one of Sakurai's close friends. Added to Brawl by Sakurai primarily so Kojima could see his creation in Smash.
  • Mega Man - One of the NES' most iconic characters outside of Mario, and practically defined the run-and-gun platformer style.
  • Pac-Man - Dude's more famous than Mario. That alone makes him a pretty required pick.
  • Cloud - Started the JRPG trend towards epic plots and deep characters that continues to this day, and one of the most popular RPG protagonists ever created.
  • Steve - One breakout game that, while insanely popular, does not really contribute something groundbreaking to the industry besides massive sales figures. Also has very little in terms of Nintendo relevance.
Yeah, compared to them, Steve's not much but a jobber. Yes, he's big, but the dude's certainly not as unanimously well-known as Mario or Pac-Man.

To be fair I'd never expect him but I'd say he's as big or bigger than Cloud and Mega Man. Especially nowadays.

Also his game is considered the ultimate sandbox experience and the aspects of competitive nature in many popular fan-created modes (Hunger Games, Spleef, Factions) are considered the best to play in that game for a reason.

It's hard to find that many people who recognize Cloud or the Blue Bomber in comparison to "Minecraft Guy" these days, far as the mainstream audience.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm really hyped for Minecraft Wii U.
Not for what it is, I don't really care about Minecraft.
It just bodes really well for Banjo in smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I think Steve as a character is far less known than the game itself.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

I'm trying to think of a potential Smash newcomer that would be more recognizable to the public, and failing. Nintendo has basically been forced to rely on obscure newcomers more than ever with Smash 4's roster, simply because all the really iconic Nintendo characters were already present. A character like Steve that's insanely popular (3rd best selling game after goddamn Tetris and Wii Sports) is going to be incredibly enticing to the developers. And "not incredibly groundbreaking to the industry"? Minecraft is a game unlike any that came before it, with its unique focus on creativity and its endlessly malleable world, and it inspired future titles like Terraria, and Starbound.

Furret24

Smash Master
Odd how I feel the same as you.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Minecraft is a game unlike any that came before it, with its unique focus on creativity and its endlessly malleable world, and it inspired future titles like Terraria, and Starbound.

Erm, no. SimCity came long before Minecraft, so it's not the progenitor of the idea of an endlessly malleable world and creativity. Hell, if you want a more recent example;

Minecraft isn't revolutionary in doing those. It's not even revolutionary for procedurally-generated worlds, either; Elder Scrolls did that.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Minecraft is a game unlike any that came before it, with its unique focus on creativity and its endlessly malleable world, and it inspired future titles like Terraria, and Starbound.
Of course there was. It was called Legos.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Obviously trolling because everyone is obligated to love the game, right?
It was actually a good troll to be honest. I really can't say anything beside to think you were just trolling lol.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Erm, no. SimCity came long before Minecraft, so it's not the progenitor of the idea of an endlessly malleable world and creativity. Hell, if you want a more recent example;

Minecraft isn't revolutionary in doing those. It's not even revolutionary for procedurally-generated worlds, either; Elder Scrolls did that.
To Minecraft's credit, it pulled off the world-creator slightly better than Spore did IMO.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Let's do something fun; counter someone's argument :laugh:

Third-parties in Smash don't NEED to have history with Nintendo. They simply need to be iconic. They need to be recognizable by most gamers OR represent an important period in gaming history.

For example, Pac-Man's moveset reminds the hardcore gamer of the gool ol' 80s and the arcades.

Sure, why not?

I agree with this. Sonic and Mario and, to a bigger extend, SEGA and Nintendo, were very big rivals during the 90s.

Ever since the Dreamcast failed, however, we saw SEGA and Nintendo work together on multiple occasions and we got a few exclusive titles too!

Hatchet has long been buried, but Smash allows us to make a very direct reenaction to the rivalry. It's great, isn't it?

That's true, but there's also one thing to remember; Snake may be a case of Saku-bias, but he IS the original third-party.

If it weren't for him, none of this would be possible!

Also true.

As I said earlier, he's a huge icon in the arcade community and basically one of the two gaming mascots of the 80s (the other being Mario)

Plus, Bandai Namco offered developement for Smash 4, so getting its mascot was something everyone expected.

One of? He's Mr. Fighting Game!

FF7 didn't start anything! It just made the genre popular among the non-Japanese gaming communities.

Think of it as the Dragon Ball of JRPGs; it didn't invent anything, but it appealed to everyone nonetheless.

Again, Nintendo history is completely irrelevent for Smash third-parties. They are meant to celebrate gaming, not just Nintendo!

Minecraft definetly fits the criteria to be considered an iconic game. Sure, it didn't do anything groundbreaking, but neither did FF7!

Are you sure of that?

Because the way I see it, Minecraft might be the newest major face in gaming; everyone knows that game, even those who never touched it!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Ryu isn't one of the most iconic fighting game characters... He's basically Mr. Fighting Game.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I really don't care for Minecraft not my type of game and I don't like the Steve for smash talk that been going on. Why do every game that get a release on a Nintendo console have to be in smash all of a sudden?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I really don't care for Minecraft not my type of game and I don't like the Steve for smash talk that been going on. Why do every game that get a release on a Nintendo console have to be in smash all of a sudden?
People have literally run out of things to speculate about.

Although more people are interested in what this means for the relations between Nintendo and Microsoft.

D

Deleted member

That didn't stop :snake: or :4cloud:. The latter's main game wasn't even on a Nintendo system and was figuratively a giant middle finger to Nintendo, not to mention that his series had more Nintendo-relevant characters to choose from, even if they weren't as iconic. Sakurai clearly cares little (at most) about Nintendo relevance.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Say, as MineCraft's main selling point is its world creator, wouldn't it be better suited for a stage?

I haven't played or seen much of MineCraft, but would it be wrong to say that Steve is comparable to Villager?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Say, as MineCraft's main selling point is its world creator, wouldn't it be better suited for a stage?
And even then, Super Mario Maker :lol:

I haven't played or seen much of MineCraft, but would it be wrong to say that Steve is comparable to Villager?
If Villager had a sword and a pickaxe, he'd be Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom