• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

Too bad all of that writing is going to be wasted by the time Smash 5 is revealed, though I understand your point. Not that I agree:cool:
funnily enough it doesn't go wasted at all.

If somehow pokemon is trending just as he makes the next smash and plans DLC, we can expect a ton of pokemon content right?

We can even expect the Ice Climbers to return, since he doesn't like cutting any character. Hope for wolf exists but for smash 5.

At the end of the day any cuts exist due to time constraints and how urgent/important a character's inclusion is in the grand scheme of things.

funnily enough it doesn't go wasted at all.

If somehow pokemon is trending just as he makes the next smash and plans DLC, we can expect a ton of pokemon content right?

We can even expect the Ice Climbers to return, since he doesn't like cutting any character. Hope for wolf exists but for smash 5.

At the end of the day any cuts exist due to time constraints and how urgent/important a character's inclusion is in the grand scheme of things.
Funnily enough, there is a 99.9999999% chance Sakurai won't develop the next Smasg game.

Funnily enough, there is a 99.9999999% chance Sakurai won't develop the next Smasg game.
Doubtful, Sakurai may not want to, but he always gets involved on his own will. Remember they didn't even contact Sakurai to make Brawl, when he found out he made sure they put him in charge. Smash is his baby, and he knows that without him, it will fail and the series will go down hill as no one would be able to replicate his work.

you may be referring to this?
http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-doesnt-think-hell-make-a-sequel-1666617106?trending_test_five_b&utm_expid=66866090-76.Xf7HV5ZSS3i8CtAkjmzQiA.2&utm_referrer=https://www.google.nl/

that is old

this is new:
Sakurai: Yes, that applies to Lucina as well. How much a character will please the players, how unique they are—there are a lot of factors that go into deciding a character’s inclusion. I don’t know whether Fire Emblem will have many more games in the future, but it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.” Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game.

Interviewer: You do say that every time, though, so I do wonder if maybe it’ll just keep on going forever.

Sakurai: And I’ll become the Smash craftsman? (laughs)

Interviewer: Yes. After all, including the DLC, you’ve been involved with Smash since the beginning.

Sakurai: Well, DLC is coming to an end soon, too, y’know.

Together: (laughs)

Interviewer: By the same token, I think there are a lot of people who want you to make a new original game.

Sakurai: It’s pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves.

Sakurai: I was playing the first one when I started working, so that would mean it’s been a quarter-century since I joined the game industry. The amount of work is pretty harsh… Recently, my vision has been getting worse as well…anyhow, leaving that aside (laughs). But, being able to take these characters who first appeared so long ago, and to be able to keep using them and share them with the current generation is, in my opinion, a blessing and a really fun job. Fire Emblem is changing and evolving with entries like Awakening and Fates, and I’d love to keep an eye on this evolution now and in the future.

Interviewer: And about the future of Smash…?

Sakurai: Who knows…?

Interviewer: (laughs). Thank you very much for your time.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

I wouldn't bet on a smash without Sakurai.

Last edited:
http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-doesnt-think-hell-make-a-sequel-1666617106?trending_test_five_b&utm_expid=66866090-76.Xf7HV5ZSS3i8CtAkjmzQiA.2&utm_referrer=https://www.google.nl/

that is old

this is new:
Sakurai: Yes, that applies to Lucina as well. How much a character will please the players, how unique they are—there are a lot of factors that go into deciding a character’s inclusion. I don’t know whether Fire Emblem will have many more games in the future, but it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.” Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game.

Interviewer: You do say that every time, though, so I do wonder if maybe it’ll just keep on going forever.

Interviewer: Yes. After all, including the DLC, you’ve been involved with Smash since the beginning.

Interviewer: By the same token, I think there are a lot of people who want you to make a new original game.

Sakurai: It’s pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves.

Sakurai: I was playing the first one when I started working, so that would mean it’s been a quarter-century since I joined the game industry. The amount of work is pretty harsh… Recently, my vision has been getting worse as well…anyhow, leaving that aside (laughs). But, being able to take these characters who first appeared so long ago, and to be able to keep using them and share them with the current generation is, in my opinion, a blessing and a really fun job. Fire Emblem is changing and evolving with entries like Awakening and Fates, and I’d love to keep an eye on this evolution now and in the future.

While we may not get a TOTAL director switch, I'd still like to see what someone else can do, like Shigeru Miyamoto for example. Y'know, someone who could co-develop with Sakurai.

Even with all that said, Sakurai may still leave development to someone else. Smash 4 is (in my opinion anyway) the best in the series, and I'd like to think that this game is his big goodbye.

Long story short - I just think a director switch could be a turn for the best.

To comment on something simple someone had said to me in a reply to a post of mine. I have enjoyed allof the samsh games. The only thing I miss in Smash 4 is a story or more single palyer stuff. The fact so many things are multiplayer is awesome, just wish the extra multiman stuff didn't need to exit the game and restart inorder to make the next game. Smash 4 is probably my fave with brawl, melee, and 64 comming along in that order. Ilike teh dlc and Still think that most of the Ballet stuff was for Mii outfits over full characters. [unless one looks interesting IE bayonneta]
As for the dlc, im glad to see lucas back, and with Roy and now cloud in I have a hug roster of people I enjoy playing. I look forward to playing corrin in feb ^_^

edit: ok to clarify what I mean before.
when ya start multiman a pick group, then a game and it starts the online set up. In order to play a different multiman stage, ya need to close the online game, pick the next mode, and restart the online. Wish that was easier and faster to be honest.

Last edited:
Still half dead after seeing Ashley costume.

Anyhow, I would like to see what it would be like if someone else developed the next Smash. He's not going to spend all of his time making the series go on, so why not start now? As people come and go, there is obviously someone out there who has the same ingenuity and vigor as Sakurai.

I will someday watch one of you develop Smash in the future. I will live to see that day.

Then everyone can finally have who they want in Smash! (I hope...)

Last edited:
Too bad you don't understand how Sakurai picks characters better than a 3 year old.
Dude, just stop with the personal insults and debate normally.

And stop accusing everyone of trolling. We aren't trying to **** you off just for the sake of it, but because we don't agree with what you're saying.

Doubtful, Sakurai may not want to, but he always gets involved on his own will. Remember they didn't even contact Sakurai to make Brawl, when he found out he made sure they put him in charge. Smash is his baby, and he knows that without him, it will fail and the series will go down hill as no one would be able to replicate his work.
I agree but not on the part about it going down-hill without him. We'll just have to wait and see.

that is old

this is new:

Jesus Christ, do you disagree on everything just for the sake of it?

Do you?

Time and time again I see people disagreeing with the facts that are literally out there.

Then these people who ignore the facts get upset when something they want doesn't happen, while it was explained nicely with said facts.

I am only disagreeing with notions that are either unfounded or outright contradict evidence.

Such as:

King K Rool is the ballot winner
Shantae and Shovel Knight are in the top 5
Sakurai is biased towards his own series
Sakurai never wants to make another smash game again
This is Sakurai's final smash game

To comment on something simple someone had said to me in a reply to a post of mine. I have enjoyed allof the samsh games. The only thing I miss in Smash 4 is a story or more single palyer stuff. The fact so many things are multiplayer is awesome, just wish the extra multiman stuff didn't need to exit the game and restart inorder to make the next game. Smash 4 is probably my fave with brawl, melee, and 64 comming along in that order. Ilike teh dlc and Still think that most of the Ballet stuff was for Mii outfits over full characters. [unless one looks interesting IE bayonneta]
Yeah, when I saw the K. Rool costume, he was pretty much deconfirmed as far as I was concerned. Oh well, there's always next time.
As for the dlc, im glad to see lucas back, and with Roy and now cloud in I have a hug roster of people I enjoy playing. I look forward to playing corrin in feb ^_^
I could personally care less for Lucas (rather have Wolf), but I'm glad to see Mewtwo and Roy are back. I also look forward to playing as Corrin in February.

edit: ok to clarify what I mean before.
when ya start multiman a pick group, then a game and it starts the online set up. In order to play a different multiman stage, ya need to close the online game, pick the next mode, and restart the online. Wish that was easier and faster to be honest.
Don't we all?
Still half dead after seeing Ashley costume.
Why? She wasn't playable to begin with.

Anyhow, I would like to see what it would be like if someone else developed the next Smash. He's not going to spend all of his time making the series go on, so why not start now? As people come and go, there is obviously someone out there who has the same ingenuity and vigor as Sakurai.
It could go either way for me - Smash 5 could get developed by someone new and get a new better roster selection, or we could just end up with characters like Captain Falcon and Ness cut and replace them with Goku and Shrek. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I will someday watch one of you develop Smash in the future. I will live to see that day.
Me too.

Then everyone can finally have who they want in Smash! (I hope...)
Like I said, a new director could be for the better or worse. I'm willing to take that risk.

Last edited:
While we may not get a TOTAL director switch, I'd still like to see what someone else can do, like Shigeru Miyamoto for example. Y'know, someone who could co-develop with Sakurai.

Even with all that said, Sakurai may still leave development to someone else. Smash 4 is (in my opinion anyway) the best in the series, and I'd like to think that this game is his big goodbye.

Long story short - I just think a director switch could be a turn for the best.
ah, so we finally arrive at the point: YOU want a director switch and for that reason you have confirmation bias.

I don't really care, as long as the game is well-made. Sakurai has proven himself time and time again, so I trust he will do a great job.
I am not so sure about the rest.

Gunpei made amazing Metroid. Sakamoto not so much
Miyamoto made amazing zelda, Aonuma not so much

If we follow this trend I wonder if the next director, who will eventually exist if Nintendo still makes games in the far future, can live up to the legacy.

Do you?

No, he (wait, are you a girl?) doesn't. None of us do.

Time and time again I see people disagreeing with the facts that are literally out there.

A.K.A. debate

Then these people who ignore the facts get upset when something they want doesn't happen, while it was explained nicely with said facts.

A.K.A. debaters

I am only disagreeing with notions that are either unfounded or outright contradict evidence.

No, you're trolling for the fun of it.

Such as:

We have no proof for ANY of the above (aside from the third one), but what's the harm in predicting? K. Rool could have been the ballot winner in NA or Australia or Japan even, but for some reason they went with the Europe winner. Same for Shantae and Shovel Knight. AS for the final two, well, we'll need to wait at LEAST 5 more years when Smash 5 is announced.

ah, so we finally arrive at the point: YOU want a director switch and for that reason you have confirmation bias.

How could you not see that when out little skirmish begin?

I don't really care, as long as the game is well-made. Sakurai has proven himself time and time again, so I trust he will do a great job.

I think Shigeru Miyamoto would be a good candidate.

The only Metroid I have is Corruption, and I don't like Zelda, so I personally could care less.

If we follow this trend I wonder if the next director, who will eventually exist if Nintendo still makes games in the far future, can live up to the legacy.
Of course they're gonna make more games. It's Nintendo. Y'know the ****ing face of gaming.

No, he (wait, are you a girl?) doesn't. None of us do.

A.K.A. debate
see below

A.K.A. debaters
during a debate you don't ignore facts, you accept them and move forward. Arguments that don't hold water because of evidence are rendered moot.

No, you're trolling for the fun of it.
or debating?

Such as:

We have no proof for ANY of the above (aside from the third one), but what's the harm in predicting? K. Rool could have been the ballot winner in NA or Australia or Japan even, but for some reason they went with the Europe winner. Same for Shantae and Shovel Knight. AS for the final two, well, we'll need to wait at LEAST 5 more years when Smash 5 is announced.

Maybe you should read. I said unfounded notions as well.
In case you don't understand how regions are split for gaming, Australia counts as Europe because of the whole PAL thing. The rest falls under unfounded.

How could you not see that when out little skirmish begin?

I think Shigeru Miyamoto would be a good candidate.
I doubt he would be interested. The man doesn't want to touch zelda anymore and he doesn't want to make 2D mario either. I highly doubt he has as much respect for the Nintendo legacy as Sakurai does.

The only Metroid I have is Corruption, and I don't like Zelda, so I personally could care less.
Whether you like them or not, there seems to be a trend where certain new directors seem to fail at making proper versions of the games they have been entrusted with.

Of course they're gonna make more games. It's Nintendo. Y'know the ****ing face of gaming.
It's not wise to assume. You never know what can happen. Nintendo used to make cards and toys. They now make video games.
Sega used to have their own consoles and handhelds. They are only making software now.
We do live in an age of rapid change and I wouldn't want Nintendo to disappear, but again: you really never know what might happen in the future.

Iwata passed away recently. I hope you don't forget that. Anything can change.

That may happen, but I'd still like to hope for a new (maybe better) developer.

Corrin looks amazing! I can see a lot of viability in doubles and sweet edge guards with Side-B and Forward Smash. Can't wait to get him.

debates should never be about the person but about the content of their speech. The validity of their arguments and the evidence they bring.

So why bother insulting everyone?

You were the one who started with personal attacks, not me.

Quote that "personal attack" that got this entire "Smash 4 Final Video Recap" discussion started.
Corrin looks amazing! I can see a lot of viability in doubles and sweet edge guards with Side-B and Forward Smash. Can't wait to get him.
I don't see why people can't just look past the appearance of the character and look into what the character in question brings to the table, like this guy. Take a hint from him.

Dude, just stop with the personal insults and debate normally.

And stop accusing everyone of trolling. We aren't trying to **** you off just for the sake of it, but because we don't agree with what you're saying.

I agree but not on the part about it going down-hill without him. We'll just have to wait and see.

True, maybe for a better word, it might not be as balanced or may not have as many unique traits to new characters if he weren't directing it. Like you said though, we will have to wait and see.

OK, so maybe not Miyamoto, but someone else?

Really? Cuz I think Mario and Pokemon are doing pretty well.

Yes, I know Iwata passed away.

Last edited:
What? Are you sure you got that right? I was referring to the fact Sakurai was tired of endless sequels.
So are you suggesting that there will not be a Smash 5? Sorry, but the only way that will happen is if Earth explodes or Nintendo goes bankrupt, both of which are very unlikely.
True, maybe for a better word, it might not be as balanced or may not have as many unique traits to new characters if he weren't directing it. Like you said though, we will have to wait and see.
If K. Rool, Daisy, Andy, Sheriff, and Waluigi got in as new reps and they brought back Wolf, Snake, and Pichu, I'd be sold.

I'm just saying it may be like Kirby. Sakurai walks out and Nintendo takes control of the franchise. I never said there was no chance of a 5th game.

Japan: hyped about Corrin
Europe: hyped about Bayonetta
US: 2salty5me

Also i voted for both Corrin and Bayonetta but my 3rs vote of wonderred didn't come thru

the god damned salt is SO REAL, if you're all so upset your toilet bowl didn't make it as a fighter, hack the dam game and put them in yourselves and stay away from online smash, just because one person doesn't like one thing and strongly wants another, doesn't mean the REST of thE WorlD opinionates the same

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom