• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Skyworld Hub - "Soaring through the Skys"

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
-DK's meta has only been developing more because of the buffs from recent patches (specifically uthrow)
-Ryu is a newer character of course there is alot to still learn about him.
-Same for Roy
-Metaknight has only started developing recently, ever since people realised that he isn't completely worse than brawl just different and started picking him up. His meta was always there, people only noticed it when Leo and Abadango brought it into the light.
-Yoshi and ZSS have developed just about as much as pit imo, I haven't seen any developments too major in any of them.

If you're bringing up the viability impressions thread, notice the keyword there: Impressions. Its based on what people have seen, That in no way relates to or means our meta is staling it just means there are not many people out there representing pit or witnessing his meta grow, at least not enough to leave a lasting impression.

Our meta is developing, we ain't gonna be having breakthroughs every day where we find a new 0-death combo but it is developing at a steady pace. Here are a few cool things I can point out that were recently discovered or are undergoing experimenting.
-Did you know a B-reverse upperdash arm makes pit step forward instead of back essentially increasing how far the upperdash goes? I have yet to see any Pit do this on stream or in tourney....
-Pit can pull a shiek where he can true combo fair>fair or nair>fair or nair>nair>nair, carrying people accros the stage (to a certain extent).
-New shield mechanics; some of pits moves are better in neutral, better so than most because of his long range, multihit moves and autocancels. e.g you can fast fall autocancel a nair and nick someones shield then immediately use upperdash to pull back avoiding a shield grab.
-Pit's nair can lead into smash attacks or grabs at kill percents without knocking them away, while still getting the autocancel. That combined with new shield mechanics making nair a tad bit safer too.

Nairo playing a character well doesn't make that character stronger or more viable. If that character was good in the first place then he will remain good regardless (in this context), Nairo was basically showing that pit is good not changing/making the character any better. His results did nothing but that, show how viable that character is and give people an idea of where he should be placed on tier lists or viability impressions, etc. Pit wasn't buffed or anything because of Nairo's results.

Also Nairo did play Zelda and he was beating top level players if that tells you anything about Zelda.

You're not saying smashboard discussions don't advance a game meta are you? Because that is absurd. We all come here and we either have friendly discussions creating a tighter community within the character we main. We either contribute, share ideas or new things we've learned about our character with everyone else, or we learn ourselves from what others have already discovered. All of this helps in developing our meta as a whole. I've told you this so many times but people on stream or in tournament are only showcasing their character's meta. They may or may not have developed it themeselves. If Nairo had been the one all along who came up wiith our combos, our advanced techniques, our meta....him alone....then it would probably be a bigger issue but its not because we're coming up with these things just fine on our own as a group, here, on smashboards.

"Actually, almost all of the Pit advancement to begin with (if not all), is probably because of Nairo's results with him."
.....this isn't completely true. Ummm I'm not sure how thoroughly you've read my previous posts....but you seem to be missing out on alot of the key points I'm mentioning, especially the parts where I say Nairo isn't dropping Pit, he's used them recently, just not at tippy-top levels anymore like he used to. (i.e against ZeRo, MVD, etc).
(I'd understand if you cbs reading my posts though lol, I know, I write freaking essays :p)
What is the metagame if it's not impressions? The metagame isn't the ability of a character, it's the ability of a character as perceived and discovered by the community. If nobody can tell Pit is changing, then the metagame is staling, yes. You described a stale metagame very well.

And lmao! I didn't know that NAir string was a true combo :lol: I was wondering why no one ever got out of it. And is NAir to Smash a string or TC?

Results are the primary force in moving a meta. For example, everyone who ever played a Meta Knight and everyone in the Meta Knight boards knew Meta Knight was good. It wasn't until LEO showed it through high level play against high level opponents that people started to believe it. So Smashboards discussions don't move metas. They give the players the tools to move the meta. A coach can tell a player how to win, but until the player puts it to action and get results, that's all it is.

I know Nairo hasn't completely dropped Pit. He just may as well have. He's not even the go-to secondary anymore, seemingly, though he does have fleeting appearances is top play every now and again.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Forgot to say last night...

On the Arms, SA starts when you hear the swoosh SFX and ends when the Upperdash stops glowing, if Kurogane's data is correct. Didn't get a chance to look at Dark Pit... Still, that's a definite beginning and end that we can spot.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Forgot to say last night...

On the Arms, SA starts when you hear the swoosh SFX and ends when the Upperdash stops glowing, if Kurogane's data is correct. Didn't get a chance to look at Dark Pit... Still, that's a definite beginning and end that we can spot.
I thought everyone knew that, especially with the quickdash custom

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
(Can't quote a quote)
Kurogane Hammer has Luigi's fireballs listed as a FAF of 44, and Pit's arrows as 43 in the air, and he can stay up there. Came up in the CCI thread the other day.

Well actually he hasn't updated Pit's page yet, but the Dark Pit shares Pit's frame data in every other instance.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Kurogane Hammer has Luigi's fireballs listed as a FAF of 44, and Pit's arrows as 43 in the air, and he can stay up there. Came up in the CCI thread the other day.

Well actually he hasn't updated Pit's page yet, but the Dark Pit shares Pit's frame data in every other instance.
But don't Luigi's fireballs have less start up?

:135:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And thus more endlag. FAF is the first actionable frame (dur) compared to the beginning of the move. The firing rate would be practically the same.
How does having less startup equate to having more endlag?

Anyway I did testing, and in 5 seconds Luigi can shoot 7 fireballs while Pit can only shoot 5. Luigi still shoots faster.
Not as big of a difference as I thought but the fireballs still have much less commitment.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How does having less startup equate to having more endlag?

Anyway I did testing, and in 5 seconds Luigi can shoot 7 fireballs while Pit can only shoot 5. Luigi still shoots faster.
Not as big of a difference as I thought but the fireballs still have much less commitment.
Same FAF + less startup = more endlag. So if we had a frame 10 move where the attack came out on 5, there'll be 5 frames of endlag. Then if we moved the attack to frame 2 but the total duration was the same that'd be 8 frames of endlag.

Not quite. Pit can only have one arrow on-screen at a time, so it needs to hit something (well, anything really) before he can fire again, which would bring up the firing rate in the air to 6 or 7 depending on how you're counting it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Same FAF + less startup = more endlag. So if we had a frame 10 move where the attack came out on 5, there'll be 5 frames of endlag. Then if we moved the attack to frame 2 but the total duration was the same that'd be 8 frames of endlag.

Not quite. Pit can only have one arrow on-screen at a time, so it needs to hit something (well, anything really) before he can fire again, which would bring up the firing rate in the air to 6 or 7 depending on how you're counting it.
That just further cements Luigi's fireballs shooting faster overall.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
LancerStaff LancerStaff since you know alot about Pit and play well, why not go to tournaments(if you're not a teen or in school that is)?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
And thus more endlag. FAF is the first actionable frame (dur) compared to the beginning of the move. The firing rate would be practically the same.
So then why do whenever I versus or play as Luigi, his fireballs feel faster than Pit's?

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
So then why do whenever I versus or play as Luigi, his fireballs feel faster than Pit's?

other than the start-up difference (ours take longer to shoot)

I think it is so because the fireball itself disappears faster than the arrow, can't shoot another arrow until the one before this disappears.

that's why mid-range full hop arrows are awesome, (works only on some matchups.., until a buff to our Start-up happens)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So I might of found an easy kill setup that works at like 120% in battle conditions. Dunno... Need to figure out if they patched vectoring completely first. Because unless somebody else has a another explanation as to why holding up or down against Pit's Uthrow isn't changing the kill%, that's what it looks like.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
So I might of found an easy kill setup that works at like 120% in battle conditions. Dunno... Need to figure out if they patched vectoring completely first. Because unless somebody else has a another explanation as to why holding up or down against Pit's Uthrow isn't changing the kill%, that's what it looks like.
kill setup? Also I'm pretty sure they did patch out vectoring completely but only for vertical knocback.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
kill setup? Also I'm pretty sure they did patch out vectoring completely but only for vertical knocback.
Yeah, I heard. :p

Turns out CPUs make for terrible, terrible test subjects for combos and such. You see, there's a mechanic where you can activate certain actions out of hitstun earlier then others. (Airdodging > jumps > ect, scales with hitstun for those curious.) CPUs... They don't make use of it. Like, at all. In training if you do Dthrow > double jump > Uair on Mario at 140% he'll die and it'll look like a combo. In reality, nope. Soooo I got nothing to show for it.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Yeah, I heard. :p

Turns out CPUs make for terrible, terrible test subjects for combos and such. You see, there's a mechanic where you can activate certain actions out of hitstun earlier then others. (Airdodging > jumps > ect, scales with hitstun for those curious.) CPUs... They don't make use of it. Like, at all. In training if you do Dthrow > double jump > Uair on Mario at 140% he'll die and it'll look like a combo. In reality, nope. Soooo I got nothing to show for it.
Yeah I thought so too, I could get away with alot more true combos in training mode.

Another kill setup I saw somewhere is rising fh dair spike > falling uair > usmash, true combo (tested on people) unless they tech the spike. Rising dair crossover's I think are safe on shield so this is viable.

Last edited:

Dusk Pit

Smash Apprentice
I saw someone killing with short hop nair into up smash in one video. might actually true combo.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I saw someone killing with short hop nair into up smash in one video. might actually true combo.
Nah it doesn't true combo but it is a viable kill confirm....it just doesn't reliably work off nair (unless I'm doing it wrong), I can get it to work like 50% of the time, if I could figure out how to get it to work 100%.....

Last edited:

Dusk Pit

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it requires an exact % idk. I forgot where I saw it and I can't find the video :\

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Thing is that combos off of an interrupted Nair aren't consistent... Each hit has a different angle so unless you've reached TAS levels of control it's going to be effectively random.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
And Zelda is considered a bad character (for no actual reason), which is probably aided by the fact that Nairo doesn't play her.
Oho there's some reasons why :4zelda: bad:

All of her specials are practically useless except for elevator, but you can still DI it

Nayru's is just used as a "Ew! Get off of me!" and has no follow-ups. It can be abused online because of lag but offline people will usually see it coming

2 of her aerials are the lightning lag kicks which aren't that good

She's got dthrow combos but not too many follow ups compared to other chars

She's light, and slow

Overall she's a glass cannon that needs precision or else she'll get bopped

Bad

I'm sure that Zelda can be used in competitive in some sort of way though

And Nairo dropped(?) Zelda a long time ago but the Zelda meta didn't die

Zelda doesn't have any big players using her but she still got some players putting work in her, just that they're not as big as Nairo

I fell like big players are just a wake up call to others saying that we should put work into this char (Wasn't there that one Japanese Shulk that used MALLC and at the time that the Shulk boards thought that MALLC was impossible?)

Wall of text done~

http://youtu.be/R26iCSqQztA

^ Is that the video you are looking for?
That is an amazing montage

Prob one of the best I've seen tbh

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oho there's some reasons why :4zelda: bad:

All of her specials are practically useless except for elevator, but you can still DI it

Nayru's is just used as a "Ew! Get off of me!" and has no follow-ups. It can be abused online because of lag but offline people will usually see it coming

2 of her aerials are the lightning lag kicks which aren't that good

She's got dthrow combos but not too many follow ups compared to other chars

She's light, and slow

Overall she's a glass cannon that needs precision or else she'll get bopped

Bad

I'm sure that Zelda can be used in competitive in some sort of way though

And Nairo dropped(?) Zelda a long time ago but the Zelda meta didn't die

Zelda doesn't have any big players using her but she still got some players putting work in her, just that they're not as big as Nairo

I fell like big players are just a wake up call to others saying that we should put work into this char (Wasn't there that one Japanese Shulk that used MALLC and at the time that the Shulk boards thought that MALLC was impossible?)

Wall of text done~

That is an amazing montage

Prob one of the best I've seen tbh
Zelda's not that good because...she's Zelda?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Okay guys, I have decide.

I am now making Pit my primary main now and Robin my secondary main. I will try to get into the competitive scene ASAP and make a name for Pit and all of SKYWORLD!!!

other than the start-up difference (ours take longer to shoot)

I think it is so because the fireball itself disappears faster than the arrow, can't shoot another arrow until the one before this disappears.

that's why mid-range full hop arrows are awesome, (works only on some matchups.., until a buff to our Start-up happens)
I guess that's probable it. Yeah, I wish they'd reduce the start up to or a least the power for both Pits. It always just feels a little weak.

Aren't you still on 1.0.0 or something? Aerial arrows went from 46 to 43 frames in 1.0.8, and Luigi's fireballs got nerfed right around there.
I only have version 1.0.0 for 3ds abd Wii U ( I had version 1.0.6 on the 3ds but then I had to transfer my data and the update went away so I need to update it again)

Top Bottom