• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Skyworld Hub - "Soaring through the Skys"

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Figured I'd post my silhouettes in the social thread.

Wow these are really cool!
I think you should add a little something more to pit though.....probably his bow or angelic wristband

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wow these are really cool!
I think you should add a little something more to pit though.....probably his bow or angelic wristband
I definitely will at some point. Bow is probably what I'll do.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anybody got tips for pivot f-tilt? I rely way too much on f-smash, intentionally or otherwise, and I'd like to augment my arsenal with some more diverse moves. More often than not, when I try to pivot f-tilt, I pivot f-smash instead. It's quite bamboozling and my game isn't playing as well as it could be for it.

Also, is there any way to determine whether pivot-[shoulder button] will be a tilt or a grab? It's usually a grab, as I intend it to be, but sometimes it come out as a tilt instead.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Anybody got tips for pivot f-tilt? I rely way too much on f-smash, intentionally or otherwise, and I'd like to augment my arsenal with some more diverse moves. More often than not, when I try to pivot f-tilt, I pivot f-smash instead. It's quite bamboozling and my game isn't playing as well as it could be for it.

Also, is there any way to determine whether pivot-[shoulder button] will be a tilt or a grab? It's usually a grab, as I intend it to be, but sometimes it come out as a tilt instead.
Waiting ever so slightly after you pivot then pushing 'grab' or 'a' will result in a pivot ftilt try it out.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Waiting ever so slightly after you pivot then pushing 'grab' or 'a' will result in a pivot ftilt try it out.
Yeah, I took some initiative and tested it out in the lab.

Pretty much confirms what I suspected. So my issue is being too trigger-happy, rather than Pit's moveset being quirky. Good to know!

Stormfury12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Personally for me I would say just adjust his kill power. Pit and Pittoo have pitiful kill power in relation to other characters. The only really good kill option for them is to gimp off of stage, which is risky have the time against good players. All they need is a boost in kill power tbh.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd like a slight decrease in the Orbies' endlag and maaaaybe a more reliable damage generator on his n-air, but otherwise I think he's perfectly fine.

Pittoo, on the other hand, could definitely benefit from standing out from Pit.

Last edited:

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink

I'm not sure how you have your button-layout, but I always mapped tilts to the C-stick. It makes executing them a snap, and Pit's tilts are pretty good.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm not sure how you have your button-layout, but I always mapped tilts to the C-stick. It makes executing them a snap, and Pit's tilts are pretty good.
C-stick for smashes. I briefly tried switching it to tilts, and it worked up until I realised it made sliding u-smash almost impossible.

I use that move a lot. Not worth it when I can just git gud at pivot f-tilt.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

I often find myself using the move to much.

I am actually having trouble KOing with Pit. It just so hard.

Though only benign able to verse CPU's doesn't help. :/

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mewtwo?
Also, is this the thread to chat about owning a Pit Amiibo?
Social threads often are.

I've got a Pit amiibo, but I spent most of my time training it when I was still a scrub, so it rolls waaaaaay to much. It also has a habit of shooting arrows while up close. Hehe....I'm probably going to reset its data when I get a way to use amiibo on the 3DS and train it back from the ground up.

He's also my single rarest amiibo, so I guess that's cool.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have two Pit amiibo (one of which I promise I will send to you as soon as possible my friend). Along with Cap, Pit was the first amiibo I ever got, and I trained him (if I do say so myself) pretty well.

I have never simultaneously adored and resented a piece of plastic as much as I do that Pit amiibo. Friggin' Pit amiibo.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The "I have no info on this fighter" Palutena guidance is just for the DLC characters it would seem, it's what popped up when I tried it with Mewtwo just now.

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
Lylat ledges have been fixed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KfENM50ME

I imagine this could be a great stage for Pit now and not the nightmare I personally thought it was before. Nice low platforms to shark with no fear of having to snap to the ledge.
Because of the Lylat buff I think that Lylat might be Pit's best stage. Not to mention Pit has a hilldash (similar to a wavedash, look it up) on slopes which can be very useful from getting away from other enemies.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Pit has become such a ugly mess. The arrows are too slow and have a delay and he has NO priority against almost everything. Just played against various charas, like Ness, CF, ZSS, Yoshi - I could not win one of these games because of the priorities. I was almost helpless because you've to think outside of the box.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pit has become such a ugly mess. The arrows are too slow and have a delay and he has NO priority against almost everything. Just played against various charas, like Ness, CF, ZSS, Yoshi - I could not win one of these games because of the priorities. I was almost helpless because you've to think outside of the box.
Right. Then don't rush in all guns a-blazin'. Think outside the box. Play to your strengths instead of trying to beat rushdown characters at their own game.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Right. Then don't rush in all guns a-blazin'. Think outside the box. Play to your strengths instead of trying to beat rushdown characters at their own game.
And when this doesn't work because of the priorities, the frames/startup animation or you're just too slow? What then?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
And when this doesn't work because of the priorities, the frames/startup animation or you're just too slow? What then?
Git gud

Then the impetus is on you you find ways around it. I don't have any noticeable problems with said characters, maybe you just need to learn the matchups better?

A bad workman blames his tools etc.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit's priority isn't bad. It's actually pretty good of his range and speed. No, Pit doesn't have equal matchups with all the top tiers, but they're all mostly even. Especially after Diddy and Sheik were nerfed. And he handles rushdown just fine. For the most part, abuse his range against speedsters and his speed against those that keep at a range. His only remotely difficult matchup is Lucario, and that's because of his gimmick.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
A bad workman blames his tools etc.
sure, deadpan sentence. Get over it.

Pit's priority isn't bad. It's actually pretty good of his range and speed. No, Pit doesn't have equal matchups with all the top tiers, but they're all mostly even. Especially after Diddy and Sheik were nerfed. And he handles rushdown just fine. For the most part, abuse his range against speedsters and his speed against those that keep at a range. His only remotely difficult matchup is Lucario, and that's because of his gimmick.
Speed against a Shiek? I guess that's not working for me. Are there any videos out there with good pit vs shiek-vids?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
sure, deadpan sentence. Get over it.

Speed against a Shiek? I guess that's not working for me. Are there any videos out there with good pit vs shiek-vids?
Use your range... Arrows are better then needles if you use 'em right. Don't let her charge. I'd post a video if I could, but this thing hates videos. :glare: It's not a terrible matchup anyway, and she had her KO power nerfed again. Might even be an equal matchup now.

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281
Sheik main here.

I've always thought Pit vs Sheik was close to even, especially now since she lost another kill move. @ LancerStaff LancerStaff is right when he says that Pit has the superior projectile when used correctly. Sheik's needles only go in a straight line or at an angle when she's in the air while Pit's arrows can curve wherever direction he pleases.

Pit has much better range, so spacing is key. That way, Sheik will have a harder time getting in. And use your superior recovery to your advantage since she's known for gimping and edge-guarding. Here's a video of ZeRo's Sheik and Nairo's Pit(too) for reference.

If you need practice with the mu, we can battle when I'm free if you'd like. :)

EDIT: I know that the video isn't a tournament match, but it's the best one I could find.

Last edited:

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
You may just need some more time &b experience with him. His KO potential is a little on the light side overall, but he can be a dangerous fighter if used properly. Also regarding his arrows... Try the Guiding Bow custom. It is a little weaker but man can you mess some people up with a good arrow game.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
I'll just add that actually Pit has a decent amount of "priority" due to his blade disjoints. It's all about spacing. He's also a baiting character, so he does have to think more than just Falcon or Sonic (or even Yoshi) style rushdown.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ F Fujiwara , sorry for coming across as caustic! I'll help you out with what I know, hopefully it's of some use to you.

Admittedly I'm not a great player, and while I have very little experience with Sheik, I've fought some very good Yoshis in my time and some truly exceptional Nesses. What you wanna remember here is that Pit isn't really a rushdown character, and he isn't fast or safe enough to run in and hit things. He has to think about what he does and draw the opponent out. He's a very good bait / punish character, and if you can pull your opponent towards you and get them to make a mistake, you can take advantage of it and hit them hard. I think Pit actually has some very strong moves - his issue is that he has to be careful when he uses them!

Arrows, for example, are a versatile tool and very useful with a bit of accuracy. They can be good for gimping characters off-stage and can hit opponents from pretty much anywhere on the stage with good timing: learning how to control your arrows properly is vital to playing Pit well. Gimping off-stage works especially well on Ness, as good timing and careful control can really screw over his PK Thunder charge. It's a bit less effective against Yoshi, as his double-jump's heavy armour means he'll just shrug off the knockback. I seldom bother using arrows in neutral, as a clever opponent will simply shield or dodge them, and the endlag doesn't really mitigate the potential reward. They can be useful if you're at the other end of the stage and want to rack up damage or force your opponent into approaching, but if they're on full rushdown mode, don't worry too much about it. Ness especially is almost immune to arrow play: he's a small target to begin with, and at a suitable distance, he can absorb them with PSI Magnet or whack 'em back with his bat. It's a little better for bigger targets like Yoshi, but for small targets with reflect / absorb options like Ness, I'd say keep them for edgeguarding and gimping.

Pit may not be a rushdown fighter, but he has some good tools to cover distance and keep his opponent at bay. I like to bait my opponent into approaching with empty n-air and f-air (the latter also has the advantage of scraping approaching characters who rush in too fast and keeping them on the long arm), then follow up with an appropriate response: Pit's jab is great for catching rolls, while his f-tilt and u-tilt are good spacing tools, and hit d-smash hits twice to cover rolls and bait approaches. Pit's pivots are also very useful, especially pivot f-tilt and pivot grab: learning how to use these effectively will make defensive play much more rewarding, as you can retreat from an approach and respond with a pivot strike to pressure them back. Pivot f-tilt is especially useful for covering approaches because it's strongest at the tip and is an effective kill tool at high percents; I like to run back to bait the opponent into approaching and then hit them with a pivot as they get close. Be sure to mix it up with some jabs and n-air to ensure you aren't read like a second-hand book, and if they start playing defensively themselves, pressure them with aerials while slowly inching forward. Just be careful not to get too close or start to play gung-ho: Yoshi's smashes are very powerful and have high priority, while Ness can pressure right back with PK Fire, and his smashes are no joke either.

You're right to say that Pit doesn't have great priority and that his rushdown game isn't very effective. That said, he doesn't need better priority, he just needs a steady hand and appropriate discretion: he's very good at baiting and punishing, which I find is a particular tactic that rushdown characters tend to have difficulty with. You need to rack up damage and read your opponent before going in for the kill: don't just run in and expect to win through brute force and out-prioritising everything! Think first, play to your strengths, force them into your space at your discretion and return the favour. Pit's got a versatile and dynamic toolkit to suit any situation, it's just a matter of knowing which tool to use and when. I'm confident that you'll see the potential in Pit if you keep practicing and do your best at it!

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
I've only been playing Pit as a secondary recently, I think he works great as a hit and run character since he's got grab combos with decent damage and a fast dash attack with 11% damage (which is really good for his weight). His upperdash arm just disappoints me. If raptor boost is suddenly a viable option for Falcon then upperdash arm should blow raptor boost out of the water. It's name LITERALLY implies that you are dashing to your opponent and uppercutting them into oblivion.

That's my Pit rant. I think his other few kill options are more than decent.

Yes and the upperdasharm should be stronger than his bow... like in Uprising ( for melee attack )

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
You're right to say that Pit doesn't have great priority and that his rushdown game isn't very effective. That said, he doesn't need better priority, he just needs a steady hand and appropriate discretion: he's very good at baiting and punishing, which I find is a particular tactic that rushdown characters tend to have difficulty with. You need to rack up damage and read your opponent before going in for the kill: don't just run in and expect to win through brute force and out-prioritising everything! Think first, play to your strengths, force them into your space at your discretion and return the favour. Pit's got a versatile and dynamic toolkit to suit any situation, it's just a matter of knowing which tool to use and when. I'm confident that you'll see the potential in Pit if you keep practicing and do your best at it!
The main prob is that I really don't know what I should do. Sometimes I have a real bad luck in the fights and get even out-priotized out of the super armor animation which really sucks. Secondly, I read the opponents too soon and get punished. On the other hand I play against people who are on a really high level who can abuse their brute force very well and don't need to play as intensive as I have to do.

Well, what else can you do with Pit when you're outclassed? Shoot an arrow? > Too much after-delay against fast characters like Shiek/Sonic. And don't get me started how slow they have become. I could triple-loop them in Brawl - now I have to struggle with a short range and predictable route and cannot do any sly tricks anymore. dAir for an meteor? Well, if you have bad luck, it backfires and pushes the rival up instead down because of some inches. fSpecial? Predictable and can be easily grapped. Even when you trick them to do a ground-based fSpecial it still leaves you wide open in the air. At least it's helpful for grapping the edge. nAir? It needs to connect with the last hit for the maximum effect. Well, I should be grateful that it is still a great escape mechanism. fAir? Imo too much start-up frametime if you compare it to other characters. At least the jumps and the recovery move are still working like charms for me which is quite something.

I still stand by my points: Better arrows and more priorities would do the trick for me.

Top Bottom