• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon Belmont CONFIRMED PLAYABLE for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Simon Belmont-exclusive Social Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Here's the only problem I see with maybe using Grand Cross.

Is Nintendo going to be okay with an attack that throws giant crucifixes all over the screen?

Considering Leon has more magical powers than any of the Belmonts, I don't really think ancestry with the Belnades is a prerequisite.
There's always "Hydro Storm" for getting around the crucifixes. I am not entirely aware of Leon's existence, but I used the Belnades ancestry as a go to for magic capable possibilities, not as a requisite. Sometimes, it's hard to convey points.

Thing about Hydro Storm is it may not be as straight forward as a whip combo.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not only he got things right like Ridley being shown at E3, no cuts and Snake back (which wery few saw as possible, considering Konami situation), he claimed the 2 Castlevania games well before that listing from mapyourshows.com .
Also Star Fix Grand Prix was never said to be revealed at E3, and even after Verge's initial leak other insiders backed it. Even Liam Robertson claimed it was real in one of his podcasts.
And again, he was the first one to report that Bandai Namco was the developer of Metroid Prime 4, which was later unofficially confirmed by Eurogamer.

I understand not wanting to jump on the hype train, and taking everything with a grain of salt, but he is probably on something. He mentioned that there is a Konami game under embargo until Wednesday. If a Castlevania game is revealed that day, then he has real knowledge.
First, the two Castlevania games were AFTER it (incorrectly) came out that there would be two Konami games. I know this because I specifically said this in response to people believing the rumor. Here is the comment I made on it

4chan is anonymous posters so anyone can say anything. What you posted doesn't really show anything. Like I said and others said in that thread, a lot of people are saying something without much proof of it. However, there is a better way of doing this.

This is from Vereberg himself
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76677805?page=6

This was posted 45 minutes ago. What is going on is that since everyone is attributing this to him, he's taking the credit for it. This is more his MO by the way.

This is a better indication if he's telling the truth or not since this is an actual statement that he made that could be verifiable. Note that, again, this is after this all blew up so. If you want to say he's correct, here is how you do it. I expect this and Smash will happen at the same time unless something gets leaked.

I think I'm out for now. People are getting a little too hungry for rumors.
This was in direct response to people claiming he was right (with no proof) about two Konami games. This is something he got flat out wrong. At a minimum, if the source os Simon is the same person who provided this, then the entire thing is suspect.

While looking back through GameFAQ I noticed that a lot of people pointed out that he started talking about Ridley after a lot of Resetera mods did. He often piggybacks on other rumors and he's done this for Street Fighter V in particular. Basically, from there he only said "Snake, IC, no cuts" which was basically him saying the two most requested veterans are coming back and there are no cuts. So it's not unreasonable that he could have just guessed that, and with some of the other rumors, it seems very likely that's the case. Regardless, he is so inconsistent that you shouldn't trust him.

Shamsy

FIST OF JUSTICE
NNID
Shamsy92
Only if he's his Chronicles iteration, don't care for his He-Man look.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
First, the two Castlevania games were AFTER it (incorrectly) came out that there would be two Konami games. I know this because I specifically said this in response to people believing the rumor. Here is the comment I made on it

This was in direct response to people claiming he was right (with no proof) about two Konami games. This is something he got flat out wrong. At a minimum, if the source os Simon is the same person who provided this, then the entire thing is suspect.

While looking back through GameFAQ I noticed that a lot of people pointed out that he started talking about Ridley after a lot of Resetera mods did. He often piggybacks on other rumors and he's done this for Street Fighter V in particular. Basically, from there he only said "Snake, IC, no cuts" which was basically him saying the two most requested veterans are coming back and there are no cuts. So it's not unreasonable that he could have just guessed that, and with some of the other rumors, it seems very likely that's the case. Regardless, he is so inconsistent that you shouldn't trust him.
I'm not saying I necessarily believe him with all my might but he's gotten a LOT right with games in the past. Most specifically he's been nearly dead-on with anything Namco-Bandai related.

See Here

I don't think he would intentionally give out bad info, however, I don recognize that a LOT of his leaks do have one bad spot in them. For instance, Zarbon and Raditz missing from DLC in FighterZ but having the other 4 characters. Soul Calibur VI being revealed at The Game Awards 3 days before the Playstation Experience where he claimed it would be, but he was still able to "guess" Groh of all characters.

I dunno. I have a gut feeling about Simon. If he came up again spouting that A, B, and C were all playable as DLC and would come out on May of next year then, yeah, I don't think I would believe him. However, looking at the evidence we DO have at the moment: The entire Smash 4 roster returned, Icies, Ridley, and Snake, then I think he has a pretty good chance. It's also worth noting that Bomberman is in the game too. So what are the chances that Sakurai was able to get Bomberman, Snake, and Simon at the same time? It would be lesser if he only got Snake OR Bomberman but he didn't. He got both. This tells me that Konami was incredibly cooperative this time and would, likely, be up for another character joining. Simon. That's just my speculation on your take and I do admire the effort you put into your analysis. Very well done. I think Simon is in though. It just feels right.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
we need simon i think it's just right for him to be in smash. that does remind me snake does share moves from that Mix TV fighters game you guys think alot of it will be kind of rebuilt in this one or something fresh?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm not saying I necessarily believe him with all my might but he's gotten a LOT right with games in the past. Most specifically he's been nearly dead-on with anything Namco-Bandai related.

See Here

I don't think he would intentionally give out bad info, however, I don recognize that a LOT of his leaks do have one bad spot in them. For instance, Zarbon and Raditz missing from DLC in FighterZ but having the other 4 characters. Soul Calibur VI being revealed at The Game Awards 3 days before the Playstation Experience where he claimed it would be, but he was still able to "guess" Groh of all characters.

I dunno. I have a gut feeling about Simon. If he came up again spouting that A, B, and C were all playable as DLC and would come out on May of next year then, yeah, I don't think I would believe him. However, looking at the evidence we DO have at the moment: The entire Smash 4 roster returned, Icies, Ridley, and Snake, then I think he has a pretty good chance. It's also worth noting that Bomberman is in the game too. So what are the chances that Sakurai was able to get Bomberman, Snake, and Simon at the same time? It would be lesser if he only got Snake OR Bomberman but he didn't. He got both. This tells me that Konami was incredibly cooperative this time and would, likely, be up for another character joining. Simon. That's just my speculation on your take and I do admire the effort you put into your analysis. Very well done. I think Simon is in though. It just feels right.
What a lot of people who defend him or just don't know him well is they think he gets more right than wrong when in actuality its the other way around. The Soul Caliber community doesn't trust him anymore as some of the more recent information has been wrong. His biggest claim to fame was the game getting announced the twin blade character (though folks have noted this is a common style in games anyway). There was a rivalry a character was support to have with another but it didn't materialize. I think one of the reason he is making Nintendo rumors is because he has such a reputation now. He has also been posting less on Reddit likely as r/kappa doesn't trust his stuff anymore. So this isn't a knock against those who do beleive him, but I think it's more they don't know him well enough (though you have done your homework for sure)

I should note too that we actually don't know whos making it. It may very well be inside Nintendo. The shot before going to Smash was Nintendo's HQ, and they said this is one of the games they're (Nintendo) are developing. He was also in a different location than he was for all the Smash 4 recording of him.

Here's the thing. These leakers usually end up doing one of two things.
  1. Embellish - Basically, they have good info but add crap to it for attention. Best example was Laura Dale and Rabbids. The Raddis Mario game was real, but she added a bunch of other stuff as well. The idea is if Rabbids is real, then they can sweep the other stuff under the rug. What killed Laura and the others was Rabbids not showing up at the Switch presentation
  2. Mess up - Basically, they get bad info. Best example was Liam Robertson saying Shovel Knight was in Smash. He got it wrong because he saw a concept art of the Shovel Knight amiibo and jumped to conclusions. This is usually a result of rushing out something and not checking it, falling for trolls, or just being dumb
Vergeben does both of these and more. His critics, myself included, accept that hes had information in the past. What they beleive is that he doesn't have a source anymore and just guesses to make himself look good. Also, he has also been dupped in the past (such as the Jojo game), and I expect they were tricked again with the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor. Normally, you can take something like getting these characters right as proof that the rest of it is true. However, Vergeben got so much wrong at E3 already that it's hard to take it as more than guessing. IC and Snake were the most popular veterans. A lot of people were saying there wouldn't be any cuts. So the only big thing was Ridley which a lot of other people said before him. My theory is that he either just guessed or one of the tournament goers leaked the demo roster (which is likely given how so many people knew Ridley). If either of those are true, then everything else he says is likely embellishing.

On Simon himself, I can see why people think he will happen and the Konami stuff makes it more likely. What is odd is that we haven't seen a new guest where with both Brawl and Smash 4 we saw a guest character very early on. I didn't expect a lot of the guest would come back as the cost of doing so would be very high though a new one could happen. However, maybe it was the other way around. They may have gotten the guest and decided the new characters would be from Nintendo to keep cost down. We don't know the finer detail of these agreements, so its all speculating on my part. Sakurai said the priority is to bring back everyone, so maybe they decided to allot more resources there including any licensing fees and legal cost.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
SmashChu SmashChu I only want to point that is impossible that one of the invitational competitors leaked the info to him, unless nintendo was outright lying (i dont see why they would risk lying so openly and with info so easy to verify) cause they went great lenghts to say that the competitors only learned about the game that very same day (sooner than everybody, yes, but that very same day)

And honestly, there is no denying that a part of his info was legit. that being said. He could be fed some false info, indeed, i braced to that possibility the very same day he said that he had "multiple sources" and I still do. and probably amost all of us remember the Gematsu leak, so im not believing the leak as a gospel.

Still the bomberman AT do raises my eyebrows veryyyy high, and about the embargo rumour, it is kinda scary, cause konami embargoing info about Castlevania to compete with Bloodstained is something that old knoami would very much do.

Still, at least we have a date. if not info is revealed this wednesday. is pretty safe that we arent getting castlevania anytime soon.

(That being said, do you have a link to the list of konami games? does that thing still exists? i remember sport stuff also announced, but i simply ignored it thinking it would be more multiplatform PES stuff...)

still I appreciate your intentions, and is OK, i never really expected Simon in Smash, if this end being false, i will just be at the start line, so no heartbreaks.
but if is true.... oh boy...

D

Deleted member

Goddammit.

Vergeben said:
I got an update about the embargoed Konami game. It isn't Castlevania. The game under embargo is just their Sports game for Switch (Hyper Sports R) for some reason.
Don't know what this means for Simon in Smash (I will ask him about that), but it means that the Castlevania series is still in limbo.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What a lot of people who defend him or just don't know him well is they think he gets more right than wrong when in actuality its the other way around. The Soul Caliber community doesn't trust him anymore as some of the more recent information has been wrong. His biggest claim to fame was the game getting announced the twin blade character (though folks have noted this is a common style in games anyway). There was a rivalry a character was support to have with another but it didn't materialize. I think one of the reason he is making Nintendo rumors is because he has such a reputation now. He has also been posting less on Reddit likely as r/kappa doesn't trust his stuff anymore. So this isn't a knock against those who do beleive him, but I think it's more they don't know him well enough (though you have done your homework for sure)

I should note too that we actually don't know whos making it. It may very well be inside Nintendo. The shot before going to Smash was Nintendo's HQ, and they said this is one of the games they're (Nintendo) are developing. He was also in a different location than he was for all the Smash 4 recording of him.

Here's the thing. These leakers usually end up doing one of two things.
  1. Embellish - Basically, they have good info but add crap to it for attention. Best example was Laura Dale and Rabbids. The Raddis Mario game was real, but she added a bunch of other stuff as well. The idea is if Rabbids is real, then they can sweep the other stuff under the rug. What killed Laura and the others was Rabbids not showing up at the Switch presentation
  2. Mess up - Basically, they get bad info. Best example was Liam Robertson saying Shovel Knight was in Smash. He got it wrong because he saw a concept art of the Shovel Knight amiibo and jumped to conclusions. This is usually a result of rushing out something and not checking it, falling for trolls, or just being dumb
Vergeben does both of these and more. His critics, myself included, accept that hes had information in the past. What they beleive is that he doesn't have a source anymore and just guesses to make himself look good. Also, he has also been dupped in the past (such as the Jojo game), and I expect they were tricked again with the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor. Normally, you can take something like getting these characters right as proof that the rest of it is true. However, Vergeben got so much wrong at E3 already that it's hard to take it as more than guessing. IC and Snake were the most popular veterans. A lot of people were saying there wouldn't be any cuts. So the only big thing was Ridley which a lot of other people said before him. My theory is that he either just guessed or one of the tournament goers leaked the demo roster (which is likely given how so many people knew Ridley). If either of those are true, then everything else he says is likely embellishing.

On Simon himself, I can see why people think he will happen and the Konami stuff makes it more likely. What is odd is that we haven't seen a new guest where with both Brawl and Smash 4 we saw a guest character very early on. I didn't expect a lot of the guest would come back as the cost of doing so would be very high though a new one could happen. However, maybe it was the other way around. They may have gotten the guest and decided the new characters would be from Nintendo to keep cost down. We don't know the finer detail of these agreements, so its all speculating on my part. Sakurai said the priority is to bring back everyone, so maybe they decided to allot more resources there including any licensing fees and legal cost.
This is a very well thought out and meticulously written observation. Thank you for being a critic and not a hater. I'm being serious here. I see other "critics" be far too hateful of a character for way too many reasons. You just pointed out that we probably shouldn't EXPECT Simon. So thanks for that.

Edit: One thing I do want to add to this is that it is actually confirmed that Namco-Bandai is making it. Look under "developers" it says Sora/Namco-Bandai. Still, the rest of your post applies appropriately.
With the virtual console dead, i really wanted a Castlevania compilation on my switch.... :c
I think it'll happen eventually. I don't know when but if Konami wants to keep a good side of them in the like light then a Castlevania Compilation or a Remake of Snake Eater are some really easy ways to do so. I don't remember who the Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth port started with but hopefully that's real.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think it'll happen eventually. I don't know when but if Konami wants to keep a good side of them in the like light then a Castlevania Compilation or a Remake of Snake Eater are some really easy ways to do so. I don't remember who the Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth port started with but hopefully that's real.
As long as we dont get more SilentHill HD collections. . . *shivers*

D

Deleted member

Well, i think it's time to pretend Simon is a pipe dream again, because as plausible as he is, something tells me he's gonna be passed over literally every other third party possible.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I never realized how great Simon would be in Smash before hearing the rumors about him being in Ultimate. So... count me as a supporter, I guess.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Well, i think it's time to pretend Simon is a pipe dream again, because as plausible as he is, something tells me he's gonna be passed over literally every other third party possible.
uhmm... at least not over bomberman... which is a shame though, i wouldnt mind bomberman as a fighter.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
(from Magicant)

Yeah, i would say so.
Well alright then.

I am not entirely aware of Leon's existence, but I used the Belnades ancestry as a go to for magic capable possibilities, not as a requisite.
Main character of Lament of Innocence and the first Belmont in the classic timeline.

He uses the same system as Juste from HoD where [1 of 5 Subweapons]+[1 of 7 Elements]=[35 different spell combinations].

Only if he's his Chronicles iteration, don't care for his He-Man look.
I would also prefer his Chronicles look, but his Classic look seems more likely. If we're lucky, they'll Cloud/Bayonetta him and just give us both.

What is odd is that we haven't seen a new guest where with both Brawl and Smash 4 we saw a guest character very early on.
Is it even fair to keep calling them "guests" at this point. Nintendo seems to have fully embraced these characters are part of the regular cast. They have no qualms with just bringing them back again game after game and, hell, they have Mega Man just hanging out with the other characters in a CGI cutscene for an announcement for a Nintendo character.

3rd Party characters? Sure. Guests almost seems like an insult at this point.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they save most of the 3P newcomers for DLC.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
... Dammit. While Konami was nice enough to allow Snake back, I guess it'll take baby steps as far as getting Castlevania back off the ground, let alone Simon in Smash perhaps. Sorry guys. I'll still hope, but kinda expecting him a lot less now.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Verg or no Verg I've thought Simon had a good shot for a while now. Opening up negotiations with Konami just for Snake and a Bomberman assist seems like a wasted opportunity.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Agreed. Simon's got a lot of Nintendo history and is apparently from one of Sakurai's favorite series that inspired him to become a game designer. Simon doesn't need a leak to be a good contender for a third-party rep, especially with Konami apparently willing to play ball again.

Re: Art

Personally hoping for some kind of Kid Icarus-esque redesign of sorts that takes elements of all his incarnations. If it leans closer to the Chronicles design, I'd be happier, but I suspect we're just going to get a sleeker-looking version of Conan with a potential red-haired Alt. Costume.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wow, we went from hopeful to downright doubtful in a matter of seconds. Reminder that the Simon leak came out before there was any mention of a Castlevania game. And yes, as I said, Vergeben is typically right about Bandai-Namco stuff. FighterZ, Soul Calibur, Jump Force, etc. and yes Bamco is developing this game as I proved. What he leaked was something from Konami, that could be the reason he was wrong. Simon could very well be in there and he just threw out that Castlevania was at E3 as a "Safe" guess. Have hope guys, I mean we got Snake back AND Bomberman is an Assist Trophy that counts for way more than nothing. Remember Mega Man? Before Smash 4 he was a pipe dream. I mean, for ****s sake, remember Snake? There was no way in a freezing hell that he was coming back. Kojima and Sakurai are friends and Konami sucks remember? but lo and behold it happened. Come on guys, lighten up. It could still happen. Just because SmashChu SmashChu made a good point doesn't mean he's disconfirmed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean he could still happen, wasn’t denying that, but when new developments like that arise with like Verge, it’s hard not to at least be shaken a bit.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Goddammit.

Don't know what this means for Simon in Smash (I will ask him about that), but it means that the Castlevania series is still in limbo.
I dont think that should deter anyone, the fact is there were two konami games listed and only one got revealed. From what i understand theres another thing of theres thats under embargo till later this week or in the month. That could be it, and he still seems very confident that simon is in, so i woudnt get riled up just yet.

Either way though, simon does not need a game to get into smash bros either way. Negotiations were made with konami, and i find it very hard to believe that sakurai would pass up the chance to snatch some of that castlevania legacy for smash in the process. Bomberman is a very good sign towards that

D

Deleted member

Im asking Vergeben some questions, and he responded.

My respons to Vergeben's last statement.
I said:
So.....does this affect the inlcusion of Simon in Smash in anyway shape or form?
Are the "Simon Belmont is in Smash" and "Konami will reveal a Castlevania game and/or compilation at E3" sources the same or are different? (as in both said this or are the Smash and Konami sources different?)
Vergeben's response:
Vergeben said:
Not at all. Simon is in.
They are the same. Don't lose hope. The Castlevania games will be revealed later.
So the sources of Simon in Smash and Konami game at E3 are the same, so im a little skeptical about this. I went to ask him about his sources and how they relate to other Smash confirmations (mutliple sources about Ridley, he having a "Mighty Source" that said Ridley was in, a more dubious source that said stuff about Minecraft sutff in Smash, etc) and also asking if there was any idea as to when it could be revealed (got nothing to lose if i had to ask that question)

I said:
Any idea as to when they could be revealed? It's safe to assume it could be a similar situation to Super Bomberman R (Nintendo Switch exclusive for a period of time) so it could be announced at a Nintendo Direct?
Also sorry if i sound annyoing, but are the sources of Ridley and Simon the same? because i remember (i do tend to have a faulty memory tough) you saying you had multiple sources that said that Ridley was in but one of them said Simon Belmont was included (and one of those sources also said Snake and Ice Climbers were coming back, but im not sure if your most reliable source said that Simon, Snake, Icies and Ridley were all in, since you mentioned you had another source that said the game was getting Minecraft content in some way)
Will probably get a response in the morning.

I know people will insult and mock me for giving Vergeben the benefit of the dobut , but i don't care, i got mocked for thinking Ridley was playable.

One thing's for certain though, and that is that Vergeben has been very cooperative with my questions. I thought he was going to tell me to Piss off and the like, but at the very least he is quick and to the point with his responses (unlike another certain "leakers" who to pretend to know everything and they tease you and act like jackasses instead of just spilling the beans)

I will leave him alone for a while though, i don't want to come across as annyoing or that im onto him. Gotta give the guy some space you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The nature in which some have been hard out to defame Verge (especially before we got Ridley) has been pretty ridiculous. I can give the benefit of a doubt at least, though not sure how confident I am anymore on Simon at the moment, but giving up before it’s over won’t be helping anyone, so...

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Leak or not, let's not fool ourselves into thinking Simon is out of the running.

What we do know is that Konami is on board, and on board to include content for more than just one franchise. Castlevania is iconic, has a long standing history with Nintendo, and has partly been an inspiration to Sakurai himself. The series is also pretty popular still, so there is a fan demand, or at the very least, fans will find his possible inclusion justified. And of course, less likely characters have been included before, even as newcomers for this own game.

He may not be a lock, though I doubt anyone really believed he was, but we can't be discouraged just because a leak, which we already don't full believe by default, may not be true.

D

Deleted member

The nature in which some have been hard out to defame Verge (especially before we got Ridley) has been pretty ridiculous. I can give the benefit of a doubt at least, though not sure how confident I am anymore on Simon at the moment, but giving up before it’s over won’t be helping anyone, so...
True, everytime i post something about Vergeben, i have someone mocking me for giving him the benefit of the dobut.

Quite frankly the date of Castlevania's reveal doesn't bother me that much, leakers tend to get the dates off even when the content itself is right.

Vergeben said DMC V and RE 2 Remake were beign announced in 2017 in PSX, but it took 6 months for that to be announced (it's also worth noting that he said that the RE 2 Remake was going to be third person similar to more recent games, and it turned out right)

and this is not exclusive to Vergeben, Sal Romano stated that Miis, Mega Man, Villager, Little Mac, Pac-Man and Wii Fit Trainer were going to be revealed at E3 2013 (or at the very least implied that) but only half of that was confirmed.

and i don't buy the "lucky guesses" excuse that people use against Sal Romano, ESPECIALLY AFTER we found out that Chrom was at the very least considered (and the fact that there's alot of evidence that says that Chrom was actually planned) and there was data of a Rhythm Heaven symbol on the character section of Smash 4 (also notice how the Sneaky Spirits are the only Smash Run enemy from an universe without a playable character aside from the Polar Bear, not counting the Pookas and Bacruas that are basically represented by Pac-Man since he is treated as "Mr. Retro Arcade" in Smash or the SSE enemies)

If we compared this to Sal Romano's history in Smash Leaks, Simon is in the same spot as Chrom, but i HEAVILY dobut that Simon was scrapped because he doesn't suffer the same issues as Chrom (similarities between him and other FE characters) or Chrous Kids (3DS limitations once you take into account they are a trio and the 3DS couldn't even hadle the IC) not to mention Simon is a guest, and as such he must be held to a MUCH bigger priority and so i dobut he would be cut due to time constraints.

Maybe Simon Belmont was considered but turned into an AT, but i seriously dobut that he would try to get Simon's rights only to use him as an AT (i think Bomberman was more of a bonus rather than a heavily considered character), especially after Sakurai said that he holds Castlevania in such a high regard in the same way as Legend of Zelda in an interview with Nomura (i put it on the OP) and i don't buy the time constrains reason alone, this game took a lot of time to develop (with evidence saying it was in development before Smash 4 was even released) and the roster is ALWAYS one of the first things planed, and Simon Belmont is a guest from a series that had a big impact on Sakurai and has moveset possibilites that no other Nintendo or Third Party seems to have, and his series is heavily popular and rememrbed by Western gamers (which helped Ridley to get in the roster) so i just can't see him doing all that, and the going "yeah nolet's cut him and make him an AT or something"

Oh and by the way, thanks to Zem-raj Zem-raj i found out which source is which:
-Source1 = Bandai Namco developing Super Smash Bros. and Metroid Prime 4 (TBC) + Ridley playable in Smash.
-Source 2 = Ridley + Simon Belmont + Ice Climbers (return) in Smash, Just Cause 4 (confirmed), and new Jump game that would be a mix of popular japanese shows (confirmed, Jump Force), 2 Castlevania games (TBC), one compilation game (TBC).
-Source 3 = Ridley at E3, with a presence not just limited to being shown playable.

Really the only reason im dobuting Vergeben is because the "Konami games" part is likely beyond what he typically handles. His most accuarate sources are always Bandai Namco-related and sometimes Capcom related, but he doesn't usually deal with Konami-related stuff (since Simon Belmont in Smash is still Bandai-Namco related, im inclined to put that as believeable even if the "New Castlevania games" part turns out wrong) and only for the sake of beign a skeptic so i don't get dissapointed, because quite frankly most of the arguments against him just don't convince me (reminds me of the whole "Sal Romano" events)

Im willing to get ridiculed and mocked for believing Vergeben anyway, because Simon at the very least seems plausible and i was already ridiculed for supporting the likes of Bandanna Dee, Ridley and others. Im just glad people see Simon as a serious request as it should have been since 2006.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In all fairness, the other parts of the leak that came true weren't exactly long shots. Ridley has been highly requested for ages, and any returning character returning isn't exactly a stretch. The only unlikely part of the leak is Simon, and that's the one part that hasn't been confirmed yet.

It's like predicting a Street Fighter roster and saying Ryu, Ken and Twelve are returning, and then when Ken and Ryu are announced people going "See! He was right! Twelve is coming back too!"

So I won't hold it against people that want to remain skeptical for now.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
In all fairness, the other parts of the leak that came true weren't exactly long shots. Ridley has been highly requested for ages, and any returning character returning isn't exactly a stretch. The only unlikely part of the leak is Simon, and that's the one part that hasn't been confirmed yet.

It's like predicting a Street Fighter roster and saying Ryu, Ken and Twelve are returning, and then when Ken and Ryu are announced people going "See! He was right! Twelve is coming back too!"

So I won't hold it against people that want to remain skeptical for now.
Ridley has been higly requested for ages, yes, but he was never included. Sakurai stated several times why he wasn't included, heck the last statement about it was just a couple years ago for crying out loud.
And Snake was an even longer shot than Simon, mostly because of the whole Kojima debacle in addition to the situation Konami is facing right now. Almost nobody though he could really make back into Smash, just look at his "Rate Their Chances" scores.

I mean it is ok to remain skeptical, it is always the best approach, but still I wouldn't call Verge a liar or a fraud right now.

Edit:
BTW I just had an idea for the Castlevania series symbol: the silhouette of Dracula's Castle on the Moon, like a simpler version of this:
netflix-castlevania-2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is a very well thought out and meticulously written observation. Thank you for being a critic and not a hater. I'm being serious here. I see other "critics" be far too hateful of a character for way too many reasons. You just pointed out that we probably shouldn't EXPECT Simon. So thanks for that.

Edit: One thing I do want to add to this is that it is actually confirmed that Namco-Bandai is making it. Look under "developers" it says Sora/Namco-Bandai. Still, the rest of your post applies appropriately.
No worries. I'm mostly responding about Verge as I hate the "leakers". I think as people have become more trusting we get these people coming out of the woodworks to give you their "inside info." This is how we end up with people like Marcus Sellar who just make stuff up. It's a big pet peeve of mine. Its why I started researching Verge in the first place. Its very rare you find someone who is consistently right about stuff (Jason at Kotaku being the only one I know). Also, I kind of just accept I'll be wrong about everything and I find talking about Smash fun. Its easier when you lose the ego.

Also, interesting. Thats the first I've ever seen of Bandai Namco making this. It does also list Nintendo as the developer and publisher. Was that the same for Smash Wii U and 3DS.
Is it even fair to keep calling them "guests" at this point. Nintendo seems to have fully embraced these characters are part of the regular cast. They have no qualms with just bringing them back again game after game and, hell, they have Mega Man just hanging out with the other characters in a CGI cutscene for an announcement for a Nintendo character.

3rd Party characters? Sure. Guests almost seems like an insult at this point.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they save most of the 3P newcomers for DLC.
Im mostly saying guest to imply characters not owned by Nintendo. Its easier to type out than 3rd party characters. Feel free to look at them any way you want.

True, everytime i post something about Vergeben, i have someone mocking me for giving him the benefit of the dobut.

Quite frankly the date of Castlevania's reveal doesn't bother me that much, leakers tend to get the dates off even when the content itself is right.

Vergeben said DMC V and RE 2 Remake were beign announced in 2017 in PSX, but it took 6 months for that to be announced (it's also worth noting that he said that the RE 2 Remake was going to be third person similar to more recent games, and it turned out right)

and this is not exclusive to Vergeben, Sal Romano stated that Miis, Mega Man, Villager, Little Mac, Pac-Man and Wii Fit Trainer were going to be revealed at E3 2013 (or at the very least implied that) but only half of that was confirmed.

and i don't buy the "lucky guesses" excuse that people use against Sal Romano, ESPECIALLY AFTER we found out that Chrom was at the very least considered (and the fact that there's alot of evidence that says that Chrom was actually planned) and there was data of a Rhythm Heaven symbol on the character section of Smash 4 (also notice how the Sneaky Spirits are the only Smash Run enemy from an universe without a playable character aside from the Polar Bear, not counting the Pookas and Bacruas that are basically represented by Pac-Man since he is treated as "Mr. Retro Arcade" in Smash or the SSE enemies)

If we compared this to Sal Romano's history in Smash Leaks, Simon is in the same spot as Chrom, but i HEAVILY dobut that Simon was scrapped because he doesn't suffer the same issues as Chrom (similarities between him and other FE characters) or Chrous Kids (3DS limitations once you take into account they are a trio and the 3DS couldn't even hadle the IC) not to mention Simon is a guest, and as such he must be held to a MUCH bigger priority and so i dobut he would be cut due to time constraints.

Maybe Simon Belmont was considered but turned into an AT, but i seriously dobut that he would try to get Simon's rights only to use him as an AT (i think Bomberman was more of a bonus rather than a heavily considered character), especially after Sakurai said that he holds Castlevania in such a high regard in the same way as Legend of Zelda in an interview with Nomura (i put it on the OP) and i don't buy the time constrains reason alone, this game took a lot of time to develop (with evidence saying it was in development before Smash 4 was even released) and the roster is ALWAYS one of the first things planed, and Simon Belmont is a guest from a series that had a big impact on Sakurai and has moveset possibilites that no other Nintendo or Third Party seems to have, and his series is heavily popular and rememrbed by Western gamers (which helped Ridley to get in the roster) so i just can't see him doing all that, and the going "yeah nolet's cut him and make him an AT or something"

Oh and by the way, thanks to Zem-raj Zem-raj i found out which source is which:
-Source1 = Bandai Namco developing Super Smash Bros. and Metroid Prime 4 (TBC) + Ridley playable in Smash.
-Source 2 = Ridley + Simon Belmont + Ice Climbers (return) in Smash, Just Cause 4 (confirmed), and new Jump game that would be a mix of popular japanese shows (confirmed, Jump Force), 2 Castlevania games (TBC), one compilation game (TBC).
-Source 3 = Ridley at E3, with a presence not just limited to being shown playable.

Really the only reason im dobuting Vergeben is because the "Konami games" part is likely beyond what he typically handles. His most accuarate sources are always Bandai Namco-related and sometimes Capcom related, but he doesn't usually deal with Konami-related stuff (since Simon Belmont in Smash is still Bandai-Namco related, im inclined to put that as believeable even if the "New Castlevania games" part turns out wrong) and only for the sake of beign a skeptic so i don't get dissapointed, because quite frankly most of the arguments against him just don't convince me (reminds me of the whole "Sal Romano" events)

Im willing to get ridiculed and mocked for believing Vergeben anyway, because Simon at the very least seems plausible and i was already ridiculed for supporting the likes of Bandanna Dee, Ridley and others. Im just glad people see Simon as a serious request as it should have been since 2006.
I just want to add on Gematsu leak point. That rumor was far more believable as it included odd picks (namely Wii Fit Trainer). Its debated if he was right as he got blown out of the water at the end. However, if you compare it to Verge its night and day. Sol got some very unlikely picks right, so you can beleive he knew something. Verge on the other hand didn't have much that was confirmed. Ridley, sure, but that one wasn't a well-kept secret (and he does copy what other are saying. He did this with SFV and FlowTron). So it's fairer to question him on not knowing all the characters were back or not knowing Daisy as opposed to Sol not knowing Rosalina. Verge's rumor is far easier to chalk up to just being a guess.

Also, I do worry Simon will become the new Rayman. Rayman was a character that really wasn't on anyone's radar until the trophy got included in Smash 4. Now, it was there because Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan. But people took this (and still do) as evidence that Rayman could be in Smash. He's not an organic character like say Megaman was (where people just wanted him). Simon might fall into the same trap. Looking at opinion polls, hes never high. But he's now on the radar due to this leak. I've heard people say that he could happen after Bomberman but is it that he is really possible or is it because he's in our heads now.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I feel like Simon has been low-key on everyone's radar since Pit and Mega Man were added to Smash and people went 'CAPTAIN N!'.

He was always low on the list because 'SNAKE AND CAN'T HAVE MULTIPLE KONAMI CHARACTERS!'

The leak just makes it seem like that's not a problem anymore. (Especially with how expansive this roster is and how Konami apparently isn't actively a hurdle to keeping characters out anymore)

D

Deleted member

Hey.

Konami open to doing more remasters for their games

Is there a classic Konami title you'd like to see remastered? Konami is open to the idea, but fans have to speak up and share what they want to see remastered. This info comes from an IGN interview with Konami brand manager Benjamin Kinney.

“Eventually if you’re loud enough and you speak with one voice, anything is possible.”
Castlevania 2 Remaster anyone?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh yes! I would like that. Simon's Quest was the first Metroidvania in the Castlevania series. Yeah, Alucard popularized Metroidvania but Simon Belmont did it first.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Castlevania 2 Remaster anyone?
I'd actually like to see CV1 and 2 remade into a single game.

Like you start out fighting through six areas to get to the throne room at the top of the Castle and slay Dracula. Then you wake up the next day finding out you're cursed, and the game opens up into a metrovania where you travel around finding Dracula's 5 body parts. Then you return to the castle, exploring entirely new parts of it until you make your way to Dracula's coffin at the bottom of the Castle and destroy his spirit.

D

Deleted member

Hey, i just found out something kinda neat.

Remember Jonneh? (A.K.A Gamexplain's Jon Cartwright) who posted this a day before Smash Ultimate was confirmed at the March 8 Nintendo Direct?

Well, not only he teased Ridley, but he also was the guy who advocated for Ridley for Smash before his reveal (that also featured Daisy in that video for no reason outside of a "joke")

He also predicted Simon Belmont in this video:

People say that Vergeben saying Ridley was in is not enough reason to believe him because others called him (inlcuding the Resetera people) but here is a Resetera guy calling Simon Belmont in Smash. Just something i noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Ash did predict Snake will come back alongside Simon whenever he's reveal. I hope Sakurai dont do a Chrom or Chorus Kids on Simon how they didn't appear playable in the Smash 4 roster. Simon is a unique classic that need to bring back from the dead like Mega Man or Pac Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom